Bad GTS wobble....calling on the experts
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
'06 GTS 250 / '09 Triumph Bonneville
Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:50 am quote
After previously owning a GT that had their standard hands-off wobble, I was really pleased to find that my GTS was absolutely rock solid.

After 3,200 miles, I finally replaced the Sava's with Michelin Boppers about a week ago. (The difference in handling and road noise is amazing!) Then it happened....

I was running about 50 when a light up ahead turned red. As I coasted toward the intersection I let go of the bars just kind of shaking some of the stiffness out of my hands. As the speed dropped to about 40, without any buildup or warning, it went freaking nuts. It felt like the instrument cluster was moving about a foot side-to-side at a high rate of speed.

Had I not immediately grabbed the bars, I have no doubt I would have eaten it in about half a second. I've been riding a long time and this seriously scared the sh*t out of me.

So...my first thought was an issue with tire balance. My dealer doesn't really have the equipment to do a precise balance, but what we did do was take a front wheel off of a new GT that was in the shop and tried it.

I took it up to about 50, let off the throttle and *just* took my hands off the bars. It waited until about 35 this time, but then went into a really violent oscillation again. (The wheel was off of a GT and was running a Pirelli, BTW).

It's strange that I never experienced this with the original tire, but now have experienced with two separate tire/wheel combinations.

I took it in today, and we verified tire pressures, evenly torqued lug bolts, checked play in the hub bearings, tightened up the headset, topcase on/off, tried both the original and the heavier handlebar end-weights, confirmed shock preload settings; nothing seemd to make a difference other than that the speed would vary a bit at which the wobble would begin.

Our next step is to replace the shock and rotor (we won't have the parts until next week). If it's not balance & it's not headset then it seems to indicate possible wear somewhere in the suspension linkage.

It was jokingly suggested that I just don't let go of the handlebars, which is not a bad idea until something happens and you have to let go (like a piece of newspaper blowing into your face, for example).

I've now seen several posts regarding similar problems, and it seems like different folks have tried different solutions with mixed results.

Right after the GTS was released there were several queries about the speed wobbles and seemed like most of the new bikes were okay. Now, it seems like we're hearing more and more about this. I don't know if it's because there are more GTS's on the road, or if they are just reaching an age where part wear is causing this to show up.

Any of you guys with a lot of wrench time have any ideas??

Frustrated in Texas...
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:01 pm quote
I don't have any bright ideas but wanted to say that it hasn't yet happened to me. It must have been really scarey and I know I'd be freaked out if something like that happened to me. I hope someone has an idea as to the cause of that wobble.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:07 pm quote
2,100 miles and no sign of any wobble on mine. And I've spent some time trying to get it to happen, too, having owned a GT200.
Molto Verboso
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:29 pm quote
Has anyone ever experienced the wobble straight from the factory without ever removing the front wheel ?

Tim
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:56 pm quote
Try this Jim, only as an experiment:

With your new Michelin Boppers mounted front and rear, try reducing your rear shock preload to the minimum position and reduce the rear tire pressure by 3PSI. For purposes of this experiment, leave your front Michelin Bopper tire pressure as-is.

If this cures your head shake, I have some follow-up suggestions for you to pursue.
Hooked
gts 250
Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:17 pm quote
at 8500 miles mine wobles worse than when it was new. MUST KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE HANDLE BARS it not not tire pressure or tires used, i bet that the steering head bearings need to to be snuged down. has anyone done this adjustment yet???
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:51 pm quote
Mine also has a very bad wobble when slowing down in the 30MPH range. (if I go hands free)

My wheels have never been off yet since factory install.

I can't wait to see if Gary's suggestions work for you so I can give it a try. It has not been an issue for me since I should be holding on anyway, but I never thought about an emergency situation where I might need to go hands free for a moment. That would be scary!
Hooked
Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm quote
Thanks for the idea Gary. I kind of see where this is going (increasing rake angle). I'll let you know once I've had a chance to tinker a bit.

Maybe we can start a conspiracy theory about this being the reason that Piaggio put Sava's on the GTS!
Technical Moderator
Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:51 pm quote
Yes, you're on to me.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:00 pm quote
My GT has had it since it was new.
GTS 250i
Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:07 pm quote
I had wobbles as well?
Well, not me personally....my scooter...

GTSi was very light and wobbled when at speed or reducing speed quickly...

After speaking to a expert who services Vespa GTS, reduced tyre pressure to 28psi n the back and 23psi in the front... Since then, no issues.... (Was 30 and 2 As I had owned a scooter before with bigger wheels, I was accustomed to having more air in the tyres.

I'm sure you have already looked into this but thought you may like to hear my comments. Apart from that, what a scooter...
Ossessionato
One of each
Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:45 pm quote
Sorry the only safe road is directly into the sun; Now with video goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5vyYSlTOQ

Don't try this at home, I'm a professional videographer Before you question my ability to balance a straight line, add two pounds about 18 inches to one side of your scoot and then try and balance.

Tires: Conti Zippys

Wobble reasonably consistently when letting off the gas and the scoot slows on its own from 33 or so to 25, when it stops. It may not look like much but the first wobble felt much more violent than it looks from this angle. I may get bored and try some different angles, mounting points.

Why yes, those are Draggin Jeans. And I did lie about my age.
Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:33 pm quote
dumb question - but anything to do with the engine braking?
Hooked
2007 BV500
Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:19 pm quote
I don't think that is a dumb question at all. I usually keep my rear tire on my GT filled to 34 psi. I had not checked it in a while and thought that my ride was getting real sloppy and I was getting greater wobble. Sure enough when I checked the tire was down to 29 psi. Filling the tire back to 34 psi solved the problem. I had know idea what a difference 5 psi in the rear tire could make to the entire ride.

Engine drag as well as the adjustments previously talked about. Adjusting rear preload and tire pressure can all contribute to the overall ride and wobble.

I would think the pull of the engine could be an issue however why didn't people feel this before?
Addicted
Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:36 pm quote
mgg wrote:
I would think the pull of the engine could be an issue however why didn't people feel this before?
Not saying it's a likely cause... just wondering if it might be a factor no one else had considered yet.

I'm actually not a big fan of the engine braking... I'd love to be able to coast longer just by closing the throttle, rather than have to feather the throttle to find a comfortable coasting point.

Well... I only ask as my GTS was idling high when coming to a stop the other day... and made me think about the clutch. Goosed the throttle once, and the idle dropped back to normal.... but I digress

The clutch - being a wear item - I wondered if it could be a contributing factor. I'm on a laptop without amazing sound at the moment, but I was trying to hear any difference in the enging noise in the posted video, both along his ride, and comparing to my own.

I don't have any wobble on my GTS... 4000km and everythings still golden.
Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e
Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:54 pm quote
Ah, the perrenial wobble thread! The wobble on my GT certainly annoyed me. A couple people said don't take your hands off...but those must be people who don't actually ride. You have to wipe your visor, cinch up a glove, tuck in a flap, ( answer the phone! )...all kinds of stuff.

No amount of tire pressure manipulation made any difference. My wobble completely DISAPPEARED when I changed both stock tires ( with the sinisoidal groove down the center ) to Cont. Zippy's. I can't make it come back.

I sincerely believe it's a matter of machine geometry vs. weight distribution. Suggestion: Put a rider on who is many pounds different from you and see what happens. But, didn't you say that the original tires didn't wobble?
Russ
Addicted
Piaggio X9 "Lexx"
Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:00 am quote
I see all this talk but have never experieinced anything like people describe, and neither has other GT owners I know. Has anyone seen this in the UK, or is it just a North American problem?
Hooked
Vespa GTS300S red
Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:18 am quote
Giuliano wrote:
I see all this talk but have never experieinced anything like people describe, and neither has other GT owners I know. Has anyone seen this in the UK, or is it just a North American problem?
I had the same problem with a GT200 - never had the nerve to let it develop. I now have a GTS and the wobble was there (albeit only slight) straight out of the box.
Hooked
Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:25 am quote
Sad to say that Gary's suggestions didn't seem to make any difference...

Made sure that the front tire was at recommended pressure, dropped rear shock preload to the softest setting, dropped rear tire pressure 3, then 6, then 9 psi and tested for wobble at each setting.

Even tried sliding all the way back on the seat to transfer as much weight as possible to the rear. (We were trying to drop the rear of the scoot relative to the front, thus increasing the effective rake angle of the fork.)

She still goes nuts between 35 - 20 mph if you aren't holding on tight. I noticed that if I hold on with only my throttle hand, I can still feel it a bit (kind of like rain grooves). I tried to see if I the wobble might ease up on its own if I let it go (my GT would do that - it would shake it's head for a second and then smooth out), but it was real apparent that it would just continue to get worse and worse.

So...we're still planning on replacing the front suspension and rotor later this week. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Got to say that this really sucks!
Addicted
Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 am quote
just curious... I was thinking about this on a long ride on Saturday...

I discovered that mine does have a slight wobble between 50 and 40 mph... have you tried re-creating the test on slight uphill or downhill grades?

I keep thinking back to the whole 'engine braking' thing... maybe it's a case of 'everything oscillates in unison' at that particular speed/rpm range.

Mine wobbles very little - not enough to make me uncomfortable, and certainly not like riding in rain grooves.
Technical Moderator
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:57 am quote
Thanks for trying that Jim, and many thanks for reporting the outcome. It's valuable information. It would be great if you only replaced a single part at a time, to isolate your particular head shake source. Please keep us updated on your progress and findings.
I'm going to go out on a limb, and suggest the rotor isn't the problem. If the rotor was at fault, I'd think the instability would be proportional to speed. A new shock may help, since rake is affected by the triangulation of the fork, shock and suspension link. Good luck, and thanks again.
Enthusiast
2006 Midnight Blue GT200
Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:10 am quote
Haven't had my Vespa very long, but I have some experience with the "wobble" problem on sportbikes; thought I could offer another insight...

With the exception of older bikes that had "endemic" wobble problems (typically short wheelbase, rake, trail), something occurred beyond stock conditions to push the bike over the "wobble threshold". It didn't take much and could be almost anything; in one of my cases, it was a slight change in tire profile.

The Vespa's geometry and weight distribution strikes me as having an imminent "wobble threshold", but it doesn't seem to be an endemic problem (otherwise it would be more widespread).

If this reasons out, then something has been introduced that is not endemic and probably not any of the remedies already attempted (although it is best to test one fix at a time to be sure).

One possibility occurs to me that one might want to add to the "dismissed remedy" list.

Could inconsistent (factory variations) in dual rear outbound shock damping (not spring load), coupled with the unsprung, laterally imbalanced drive unit, start a self perpetuating oscillation from the rear which is transmitted through the body (frame), finally made worse with trailing link front suspension, all particularly sensitive to deceleration?

In other words, a slight lateral wobble starting at tail end "wags" the trailing link front end.

To test this, I would think substitution of shocks from a similar scooter that didn't have the problem, might work. Or perhaps, mounting aftermarket shocks with better damping (rebound), as a test.

Also, maybe instead of lessening pre-load to change rake (chasing an endemic problem), increase to max pre-load to inhibit compression, but if it's damping, this may have a slight improvement, but is not the final solution.
Ossessionato
One of each
Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:16 am quote
Bucardo wrote:
Could inconsistent (factory variations) in dual rear outbound shock damping (not spring load), coupled with the unsprung, laterally imbalanced drive unit, start a self perpetuating oscillation from the rear which is transmitted through the body (frame), finally made worse with trailing link front suspension, all particularly sensitive to deceleration?

In other words, a slight lateral wobble starting at tail end "wags" the trailing link front end.
That would be my though as well, but not put so eloquently.

I can cruise all day at the speed that I get the wobble, but decelerating, through that range seems to cause the wobble. My dealer is very interested and we're going to play with it, along with air pressures in the tires, and check the tire balance again, too.
Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e
Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:48 am quote
I think it could be something in the rear as well. Everything's connected. But I'd like to reiterate something I said above. I changed tires and my wobble disappeared. ( the rear was approaching baldness ). You put on new tires and the wobble appeared. That might be a clue.

Russ
Hooked
'80 p125x
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:27 am quote
I've never experienced this, nor could I tell anything was going on in that video. I DID notice that there was a windscreen which of course creates drag. Drag transferred from the rear tire on bike with topcases get transferred to the front wheel as well, but the biggest concern i have is...

WHY ARE YOU TAKING YOUR HANDS OFF THE HANDLEBAR AT ALL???

It isn't a car people, and lest you forget, you don't have the benefits that motorcycles have as far as laying the engine weight across the front part of the chassis. Add higher gripping tyres and.. nevermind.. I don't know how this is an actual thread; I feel like this is a trick question or something. I was expecting a tankslapper, but I would expect some wobble on anything with such a short wheelbase(cars included). You're on a scooter, not a motorized unicycle... Keep your hands on bars.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:05 pm quote
evilbahumut wrote:
The subject of wobble has been of specific interest to this forum, particularly on the GT200, where the problem is very common with one hand removed from the handlebars. Some legitimate reasons for removing a single hand momentarily would be to adjust the helmet visor, wave at a passing scooterist, or to scratch your nose. These are not unreasonable things.

We've all been interested to know if the GTS would exhibit some of the same problems or not. Consider this a further inquiry to answering that question.
Addicted
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:05 pm quote
jess wrote:
evilbahumut wrote:
The subject of wobble has been of specific interest to this forum, particularly on the GT200, where the problem is very common with one hand removed from the handlebars. Some legitimate reasons for removing a single hand momentarily would be to adjust the helmet visor, wave at a passing scooterist, or to scratch your nose. These are not unreasonable things.
And even with both hands on the handlebar, I expect the wobble could be awfully tiring.
Addicted
GTV250 GTS 300!! MP3 500, Lambretta TV200 S3 77 07 Aprilia Tuono 1000R 64 Vespa Vbb150
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:18 pm quote
Jess shouldn't you do these adjustments when at a complete stop?? Wouldn't that be safe?? Of course it would, so I would agree with evilbahumut that REMOVING YOUR HANDS FROM THE HANDLEBARS from any two wheeled cycle is not safe. I think it even says in the owners manual of the GT 200 not to remove your hands. Even MSF would state the same facts. Adjusting your visor or picking your noise while riding. That would be funny in an accident report. Man crashs scooter while picking his noise.

Ride safe and smart,

Jon P.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:30 pm quote
scooterjon wrote:
Jess shouldn't you do these adjustments when at a complete stop?? Wouldn't that be safe?? Of course it would, so I would agree with evilbahumut that REMOVING YOUR HANDS FROM THE HANDLEBARS from any two wheeled cycle is not safe.
Ever have your visor suddenly fog up, making it impossible to see where you were going? Ever sneeze inside your helmet?

I flat-out reject the idea that it is never safe or appropriate to remove a hand from the handlebars. There are legitimate reasons for removing a hand for short durations.

But that's not really the point -- the point is that some scooters exhibit some odd problems while others don't, and as a forum that specializes in understanding the subtle details and nuances of these scooters, it is an interesting problem that we as a group would like to diagnose. By all means, keep your hands on the handlebars if you feel it is unsafe not to, but the suggestion that we should not be investigating a strange phenomenon that might better our understanding of these scooters is, I feel, without merit.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm quote
Not all wobbles are created equal. When I first got my GT, the front end had a nasty wobble, so much so that it seemed unfit. I removed the front wheel, took it to a shop that sets up motorcycles for racing, and they balanced the wheel. My front wheel had LOTS of lead weights (in the wrong place, and all on one side of the wheel.) They balanced it, split the weights into two sets, and put them opposing each other on each side of the wheel. That solved the majority of my wobbles.

I've had another smaller wobble, since the bike is new, and it's between 25-35mph, especially noticeable while decelerating. It never appears when above that speed, and the bike feels really stable. I've tried everything I know of to get rid of it, and finally gave ut. Now I chalk it up to frame geometry, and just count it as one of the quirky features of my GT.
Molto Verboso
06 GTS250. 00 Yamaha Vino airsal 70cc. 01 ET4 (wrecked). 67 Lambretta Vega125. 48 Beam Doodlebug Super. 1915 Board Track replica 80cc
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 pm quote
I believe it comes from the rear as well.
While I was deep in the engine bay playing with my exhaust for fun and profit (well, not fun, and actually it cost me money) I noticed the right hand engine mount......
Has anyone taken a look at that thing?
It seems waaay undersized for the power and torque of the bike, now I'm talking about that length of 1/4" flat bar that comes up from the real engine mount and somehow connects what looks like the wrong engine to the body with the aid of some wimpy looking nylon bushings....
Pull the pet carrier and have a look.
It would seem to me that the slightest play in the bushings or metal fatigue and flex in that flat bar could certainly transfer to the front as wobble.
That said, in the effort to try and make this post readable it may sound as if I truly believe that is where the fault lies, which I don't, well, I don't know, I'm just throwing it out there for more critical minds than mine to evaluate.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:44 pm quote
I believe using hand signals would be another reason for removing one of your hands while riding.
Enthusiast
Piaggio X9 Evo, Ducati Supersport 900
Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:31 pm quote
One word: Tires.

Slightly squared rear can/will induce this.

It's a geometry thing.

As to engine braking, I don't get the wobble while the clutch is engaged. You can feel it disengage as you coast, the bike goes from a slightly loaded feeling to a completely free wheeling feeling. The engine loading must put enough pressure on the geometry to sort the wobble.

As soon as the clutch comes free, wobble begins.

When I wear out the Michelin Gold Standards (OEM) and switch the Pilot Sports, I'll report back. Should be in a couple months.
Hooked
Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:54 pm quote
Yep...3,200 miles on Sava's and no problems. Switched them out for Michelin Boppers and the crap starts. I'd be pretty sure that we're looking at different tire profiles.

If the Michelin's weren't so much quieter, sticky, responsive, etc., I'd just go back to Sava's. (Although, just thought of this, I might see if I can get the dealer to swap some Sava wearing wheels out for a test ride...hmmm)
Addicted
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:20 pm quote
Tikka Masala wrote:
I believe using hand signals would be another reason for removing one of your hands while riding.
BOOO YAAAA! Somebody just got pwn3d!
Addicted
Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 pm quote
TheDucatiKid wrote:
One word: Tires.

Slightly squared rear can/will induce this.

It's a geometry thing.

As to engine braking, I don't get the wobble while the clutch is engaged. You can feel it disengage as you coast, the bike goes from a slightly loaded feeling to a completely free wheeling feeling. The engine loading must put enough pressure on the geometry to sort the wobble.

As soon as the clutch comes free, wobble begins.

When I wear out the Michelin Gold Standards (OEM) and switch the Pilot Sports, I'll report back. Should be in a couple months.
On the GTS the clutch does not disengage until the scoot slows to around 10mph, then the actual 'coasting' begins. I'm interested in the earlier post about the rear swingarm mounts though.
Hooked
'79 P200
Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:35 pm quote
WOBBLE.
BUCARDO.....are you a freakin engineer for the NASA space shuttle program or are you just making that crap up? "....The bi-lateral unidirectional torsional forces affect the outboard gyrotational forces as the torque increases in a lateral plane...."
YEAH THAT'S IT!!!!!!! IT'S THE FREAKIN OUTBOARD UNI-DIRECTIONAL GYROTAIONAL LATERAL FORCES! NOW BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!
Enthusiast
'07 LX150
Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:37 pm quote
Hmm, I get a wobble between 30-40, but it's not bad.

Thinking I'm going to let it slide until my first tune-up
and see if they can fix it. Unless I hear otherwise . . .
even if it doesn't let up, it's hardly there sometimes.

I can deal.
Hooked
gts 250
Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:45 pm quote
ya know what? i think we just have to live with it
Hooked
'79 P200
Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:42 pm quote
BALANCE
JimW, you mentioned that the dealer doesn't really have the equipment to do a proper wheel balance, and if that's the case, I think you shouldn't assume that the wheel/tire off a brand new GTS is well balanced. I would bet it isn't. I would bet they aren't paying real good attention to the balance of the front tire/wheel.
Find a motorcycle dealer who can do a proper high speed balance preferably on the bike. I would even go so far as to start asking other makes/models mechanics if they have ever seen this and what typically causes it.
I'm not saying your Vespa mechanic sucks, but if they don't have the right equipment, he probably does. I'm wondering how much "factory" training these guys really get.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1613s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0321s) ][ Debug on ]