Lets talk about P150S!
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234Next
Hooked
Outlaw VB1
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:00 pm quote
I was cruising eBay and wondered what that tall headset was from.
That blue bike has it.
Enthusiast
P150S, 1963 Triumph Bonneville
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:46 pm quote
The registration issue is still there. I am not sure how to get around it. I keep looking at this scooter and I would love to restore it. But it has no compliance plate or import papers. I am toying with the idea of an earlier chassis (Super 150) or something similar and going from there. I have ridden this around the block a few times and I love it.

WIN_20170102_174600.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:09 pm quote
Why don't you call the rego authority and ask what to do about a 1978 Vespa you bought from a guy 25 years ago? In Vic there is no record of frame numbers before the mid-eighties I'm told, maybe it's the same there? But I certainly wouldn't mention import. Get a feel for what the situation is and play dumb.
Enthusiast
Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:39 pm quote
I kind of tried that. I went to the motor vehicle registry (MVR) and I spoke to a bloke and gave him the frame number and the first thing he done was google it. From there he worked out it was an Indonesian model from 1989. He then said it needed a compliance plate or import papers. End of story. But I haven't given up yet!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and new to 2018, '66 Blue Badge Smallframe
Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:49 pm quote
I always think it's best to call, then if they ask anything too pointed you can hang up. That number is obviously not going to get you anywhere... you'll have to come up with some other method.
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:25 am quote
As I said........ I haven't given up yet
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:53 am quote
I may have a few ideas..

Get full "Import Approval" for numbers on this scoot...
"import" it
Problem solved... Possibly
Enthusiast
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:31 pm quote
This may sound like a dumb question....... but is this at all possible. I will be in Bali later this year.
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 pm quote
If you have not worked it out yet its a Vespa Strata - Dan Motors Indonesia made them under license and its a unique Indonesian model.

It is essentially a PX with a 150 motor, has a two part CDI and is very common there. It has many VBC parts on it as these were a cross over model when Europe started making PX frames. The seat has a tilt pan so that the petrol cap can be locked.

If you want any more info - PM me (I can call you if you like).

As far as rego is concerned - has it been registered in Aus before?

If not, you can apply for an import approval ($50 online) with the engine and frame number. An import approval certificate will be sent to your address. This is used for Customs clearance once the bike arrives in Aus, if it does not have the approval it can be confiscated by customs. As the bike is already here... just bring the approval certificate to the registration office. BUT if it has already been registered - no need.

As far ac compliance plate goes, not sure as it might be a bit young and may need a plate - you will need to look into that. BTW-you can get VIN plates if you know where to look.

The headset is model specific, looks good except for the speedo. In Indo many if the guys replace the headset to make them look like Euro models.

Zep.
Enthusiast
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:09 am quote
All interesting stuff Zep. An import approval certificate is something I have never heard of before and its something I will look into. If this approval was given would I need a VIN plate or anything else for that matter to get it through registration apart from a roadworthy certificate. I have a written receipt from the bloke I brought it off. He claimed he got it at a garage sale a few years ago. It needs a shit load of work so rego is a long way off anyway. Thanks for the advice and I may hit you up for more info as I progress. Cheers Coops
Enthusiast
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:11 am quote
And its never had rego in Australia. I suspect it was brought into Darwin some time ago illegally.
Hooked
Jet 200, P200E (x2), T5
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:46 am quote
Zep66 wrote:
If you have not worked it out yet its a Vespa Strata
Not to nitpick, but that would be a Strada. It seems pretty much the same body shared several names (with probable technical differences): Spartan, Exclusive, etc..
Zep66 wrote:
It has many VBC parts on it as these were a cross over model when Europe started making PX frames. The seat has a tilt pan so that the petrol cap can be locked.
Strange that it would be a VBX; I thought at that point they were VLX... Those with VBX engines for almost sure were the earlier model: P150S Sera, with 8" wheels, an even squarer headset, and I think the engine was straight up from a VBB or C, unlike the later Stradas etc which (the later ones at least) had a PX150 engine, AFAIK.
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 pm quote
Thanks for the typo correction, Strada ('Street' in Italian).

I lived in Indo for a few years and have tooled on many of those. They were a tough scooter for sure, seen them all over the country and in every conceivable state of repair!.

Imagine a 8"' VBC and move all the running gear into a P range body (early ones without indicators) and you get a Strada. The CDI was a bonus as before that model all Vespas only had 'platina' (Points) so reliability was better, hence the popularity. The model evolved a bit and then came the 'Exclusive' and 'Spartan' variants.

BTW: The Spartan - is a P200 Vespa, the only model I've seen with a 200 motor (with electric start!) and not as common. They were a bit more expensive, used more fuel and parts more expensive - three reasons why they did not kick off.
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:13 pm quote
Coops...

(- This info if for Australia ONLY -)

I just got off the phone with the Department of Infrastructure regarding imports.

I suggest you call them and give them the chassis number to check their import records. They get these calls all the time and are very helpful.

They will do a search to see if they have a record of the import - if they do, your minted! They will send you an email letter saying it was imported but not the personnel information of who imported it (privacy act). Use that letter for you registration.

If not, if the vehicle was imported 1989 (1st Jan) they can send you a letter to say that as the vehicle was imported pre the electronic records system that have not kept the records and will not be able to give you that certificate. That letter can be used at your registration office as well (as pre the electronic data system records were destroyed every 7 years)

If imported post 1989 you have two options.
You can apply for an import approval ($50 online) and get a certificate to use at the registration office.
In your application it will ask you where the vehicle is:

Option a: If you say Australia, they will ask why, you can write them a letter explaining the circumstances and that you purchased the scooter as a restoration and have spent a significant amount of money and time to restore and build the scooter for Australian use. Then the application is then up to directors if he grant an approval - they tell me happens quite often, but its not guaranteed.

Option b: You say the scooter is in Indonesia, and wait for the certificate approval.

I suggest you call them on 1800815272, they have heaps of exactly the same enquiry and are very helpful - just have the chassis number handy when you do.

Good luck.
Zep
Ossessionato
2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm quote
coops wrote:
All interesting stuff Zep. An import approval certificate is something I have never heard of before and its something I will look into.
I can assist if you need.

My concern with calling DOI up with chassis number is that they MAY put the number in their system, & therefore means it cannot be imported... But it's highly unlikely that they actually would do this.

Go for "Option B".

You will need photos of chassis & engine number & overall scoot (while it is "still in Indo" (so be aware of the background!)
Also a "letter/note" from seller saying I wwwww sold xxx to fffff for $$$, with date of sale, proof of them (driver list or passport etc) & signature of them.
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm quote
I would still suggest you call to ask. I don't believe they will make a special record your enquiry and of the chassis number, that would need data entry and a reason and the database would be full of enquiry information that is useless...

Also, consider if the bike had an import approval already registered on the system and you put a new one in - what will you/they do then?

I guess if that happens you can say sorry I made a mistake on the paper work then get the info later which will work too.

Its up to you, you got all the info you need.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm quote
Nice work Zep!

I'm with SEB on the number though... if you give it to the wrong person who knows what may happen? Then your options may be reduced somewhat.
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:15 pm quote
Sure, just best to have all the information.

Coops - if you need a hand with the receipt written in Bahasa Indonesian, let me know.
Enthusiast
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:05 pm quote
You guys are bloody amazing. This information is priceless. I will ring the Dept of Infrastructure when I get a chance. (I'm off on holidays on Saturday for a fortnight) and give them as much information as I have regarding the history and engine and chassis numbers. I think that if I'm 100% up front I won't trip myself up later on. Thanks again guys. There might some light at the end of the tunnel after all. I only paid $200 for it so it won't be a big loss financially if I can't register it. I would just love to play with it and eventually ride it around.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
a not so normal vbb2 '64, a weirdo vbx '86 and a not so normal pts100 '82
Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 pm quote
Zep66 wrote:
Thanks for the typo correction, Strada ('Street' in Italian).

I lived in Indo for a few years and have tooled on many of those. They were a tough scooter for sure, seen them all over the country and in every conceivable state of repair!.

Imagine a 8"' VBC and move all the running gear into a P range body (early ones without indicators) and you get a Strada. The CDI was a bonus as before that model all Vespas only had 'platina' (Points) so reliability was better, hence the popularity. The model evolved a bit and then came the 'Exclusive' and 'Spartan' variants.

BTW: The Spartan - is a P200 Vespa, the only model I've seen with a 200 motor (with electric start!) and not as common. They were a bit more expensive, used more fuel and parts more expensive - three reasons why they did not kick off.
guess u didnt see the excel 200 then, its also danmotor vespa that came out factory with a 200cc engine but strangely it had rally 200 engine vin and a electric stater
Enthusiast
Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:23 pm quote
Just had a massive WIN! Just rang the department of Infrastructure and it appears my Vespa was legally imported in 2006. The information the lady gave me said it was imported with 12 other bikes at the time. She gave me the address of the department to send my letter to apply for the paperwork so it all looks good. Thanks once again for the unreal assistance I received on this site. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Coops
Ossessionato
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:27 am quote
coops wrote:
Just had a massive WIN! Just rang the department of Infrastructure and it appears my Vespa was legally imported in 2006. The information the lady gave me said it was imported with 12 other bikes at the time. She gave me the address of the department to send my letter to apply for the paperwork so it all looks good. Thanks once again for the unreal assistance I received on this site. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and your help is greatly appreciated. Cheers Coops
Then ensure you stick around, make lots of comments ... Some day YOU will be able to help us
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:05 pm quote
That is great news Coops! Keep us posted with your efforts and let us know when you need help or advice.
Enthusiast
Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:18 am quote
Got my letter today from The Department of Infrastructure and it has everything I need I hope. It has an import approval number and is dated August 2006. Hopefully this is all I need to get it over the line. Thanks again for all the help fellas, especially Zep for making it easy. Cheers Coops. Now I can start putting a plan together.
Enthusiast
Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:40 pm quote
Scratched the paint off this sticker inside the glove box.

WIN_20170709_100538.JPG

WIN_20170709_100538.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 am quote
nearly broke my neck reading that sticker
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:31 pm quote
Hey E', the Excel 200 - that's a bit of a unicorn. I was looking for one as I wanted the Rally motor! Nice scooter too.

Coops' good news then.
Glad you got somewhere without too much fuss. Now go register it and wring its neck....

Zep
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:04 am quote
Thanks Zep. I'm hopefully off to Bali in September so I will try and track down a few parts unique to the strata. The seat is very rusty, the headlight is cracked and you can hardly read the Speedo as the plastic lens is rooted so they are at the top of the list. Do you know of any other parts that are unique to this model that I may need to try and find while I'm there. Any information is greatly appreciated. And thanks again for the research you forwarded to me about the Department of Infrastructure. Cheers Coop
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:32 pm quote
(From a previous post...)

Many options.

Hi, I lived in Bail till recently for two years and a member of Dewata Scooter Club.

Loads of options, depending on where you are staying.

If you are near Sanur/Denpasar - Kasiman Vespa Shop is the best, probably the best in Bali. Bengkel Vespa Wr Supratman : Here is the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bengkel-Vespa-Wr-Supratman/261644247368473

If your in Ubud - there is a smaller shop in Bedugul on the way to Gianyar (just after the bridge across from the big petrol station). Dwi'in Variasi & Sparepart Vespa , Jl Raya Bedulu ,blahbatuh Gianyar
: Here is the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dwiin-Variasi-Sparepart-Vespa-Jl-Raya-Bedulu-blahbatuh-Gianyar/270270029841715

If you use a taxi - tell them your looking for Bengkel Vespa (Vespa Mechanic) or Vespa Toko (Vespa Shop).

Also: once your there - point at what you want (assuming you don't speak Bahasa) and insist to go behind the counter to pick/look about, westerners usually will be allowed.

If you get stuck - PM me....
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:55 pm quote
Will be staying in Seminyak but will be hiring a scooter to get around. Thanks for the info. Cheers Coops
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm quote
This place is closer - AJS Scooter Shop:

Most of the tourist trap wood duck purchases come from them - they are on the pricy side - but if you can, go down the lane next to the shop and have a look at their production line out back - its a little shop of horrors!!

But I do recommend you go to Kasiman as its a proper shop - not just for tourists.

Zep66
Enthusiast
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm quote
Ive ridden around Dempasar on previous visits and will go there. Now to put together a shopping list!!!!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:03 pm quote
Zep66 wrote:
Hey E', the Excel 200 - that's a bit of a unicorn. I was looking for one as I wanted the Rally motor! Nice scooter too.

Coops' good news then.
Glad you got somewhere without too much fuss. Now go register it and wring its neck....

Zep
i once had 1 with a very nice engine but sold it for surgery and yes the rally engine in that bike is weird as it vin does vse but it had electric stater now its kinna hard to buy not cause its like unicorn but everything is pricey here so i dont think i can buy one for another $200 just like my previous one in a short of time, maybe someday

have a nice day in Aussie and cheer Mate
Enthusiast
Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm quote
I called in to the Motor Vehicle Registry this morning and showed a guy there a copy of the letter I got from the Department of Infrastructure. He read it and confirmed that I would have no problems getting my scooter registered with this letter. Woo Hoo.

WIN_20170722_104812.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 am quote
Great news Coops. If you hurry you can just get it registered before the front gaurd disappears entirely!
Enthusiast
Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:57 am quote
That's the least of my issues. I'm sure I can polish that out. 😉😉😉
1966- VBC, 1992 P200e
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 pm quote
That's great mate!!

Glad it worked out for you.

Zep
Enthusiast
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:00 pm quote
Thanks again Zep. The information and advice you passed on was priceless. I look forward to ''picking your brain'' in future. Cheers mate... Coops

WIN_20170722_104821.JPG

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Enthusiast
Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:16 am quote
Might be fun. It would probable help if I could read Indonesian.😊
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern Previous1234Next
[ Time: 0.5487s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0566s) ][ Debug on ]