@ritchj avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
One of each

Ossessionato
@ritchj avatar
One of each
UTC quote
After the 100 mile charity ride, I've decided I need a new logo or decal for the GTS. Some kind of wasp buzzing around a pig/hog.

So once again there were 500 Choppers/cruisers, one Piaggio/Aprilia/mega scoot not sure which, and one Vespa GTS. To the other scooter rider - my apologies for the quick intro, perhaps you have some additional insight.

What a kick the day was. Lots of thumbs up, lots of recognize what it was and look the other way, and one 'you know we're going on the freeway' comment. What was really gratifying was seeing the Special Olympics participants helping direct traffic, waving, and having a good time drooling on the bikes - that's not a derogatory comment, there were paint jobs that HAD to cost more than the GTS. There were lots of us drooling on bikes that day.

This was a fast hard ride on secondary two lane roads with some freeway action, with four stops to pull a card for the poker run part of things. At each stop I joined a different group.

The first group I rode with were the imports (also shunned by the chopper guys) they were great and pointed out the other scooter for me. This lasted until they continued through a yellow light turning a little to red for me, so I ended up leading a group of about 40 HD's for about 10 miles (until it went to 4 lanes and some passed me.)

At the first stop I joined up with the 'Piratas 510' chapter which was neat because they had really cool bikes with a Mexican flair. A couple had huge ape hanger bars which made the riders look like Wile E. Coyote splatting the side of a cliff while riding. For bikes with foot rests and very little leaning clearance, I had a hard time keeping up with them. They were also scary because they were riding side by side on Skyline Drive. By the name of the road, you can imagine that it follows the ridge line and was really curvy. That's also where one Piratas guy tagged another and one guy went down. Steep down hill and a full dress HD high sided with the seat pointing down hill (it took about 8 guys to lift it) rider was OK.

That was pretty close to the next stop where I joined with a group of chopper riders. Yup, I was out there with guys with 20' long front forks, and back tires from a F1 car - bikes like the ones built on your favorite reality chopper build show. What a hoot.

People on the side of the road oooing and aahhing the bikes - but yelling 'Go Vespa dude,' and laughing hysterically when I passed in the middle of 30 - 40 of these bikes! I giggled knowing they were hating me for taking their attention, but how many black HD's can you really look at before you need a break? That's when they tried to loose me on the freeway. 85 on the speedo and 77 on the GPS keeping up with them. Just like the 'Beep Beep,' song from the fifties.

If you have the chance to do a charity ride on your Vespa, and have decent riding skills (not hacking and ninja skills,) I highly recommend it, put on your little bit thicker skin, expect to not talk to anyone (and be surprised) and have answers questions like 'I have a "friend" who is thinking about a scooter,' and I'm thinking about one for my wife.'

Apologies for the bad photos - I put a dead battery in the camera, so each picture was taken as soon as it was turned on as it was dying.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimw avatar
UTC

Hooked
'06 GTS 250 / '09 Triumph Bonneville

Hooked
@jimw avatar
'06 GTS 250 / '09 Triumph Bonneville
UTC quote
Kind of funny that none of HD's wanted to park close to the scooter! It looks lonely...
@vando avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Black GTS

Enthusiast
@vando avatar
Black GTS
UTC quote
Rows and rows of shiny,chome covered,flame paint job, identikit "bikers" bikes,and the most classic looking,iconic and instantly recognisble two wheeled beauty is?
I'll give you a clue .........it's red.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
I really like the pictures, you done us proud, Beale.
OP
@ritchj avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
One of each

Ossessionato
@ritchj avatar
One of each
UTC quote
Vando wrote:
Rows and rows of shiny,chome covered,flame paint job, identikit "bikers" bikes,and the most classic looking,iconic and instantly recognisble two wheeled beauty is?
I'll give you a clue .........it's red.
That's really funny, identikit bikes. You're right, although if you look here: http://www.micro-tools.com/vespagt/group-shot.jpg Can you find it? I'd still like to have one or two of the paint jobs there.

Mr. Potatohead Bikes, might also be an appropriate term.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200
UTC quote
Funny, I just asked how the ride was in the Rally section. So you don't have to reply there as I can see it was good event. Sorry I couldn't join you.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
ritchj wrote:
although if you look here: http://www.micro-tools.com/vespagt/group-shot.jpg Can you find it?
Well, that's easy -- it's the one with the sail on the front and junk in the trunk. Oh, and it's also the one that you're standing next to.
OP
@ritchj avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
One of each

Ossessionato
@ritchj avatar
One of each
UTC quote
jess wrote:
ritchj wrote:
although if you look here: http://www.micro-tools.com/vespagt/group-shot.jpg Can you find it?
Well, that's easy -- it's the one with the sail on the front and junk in the trunk. Oh, and it's also the one that you're standing next to.
I should have used the low-res version?
@vando avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Black GTS

Enthusiast
@vando avatar
Black GTS
UTC quote
So much better.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0583s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0318s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]