OP
@kevink avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom

Addicted
@kevink avatar
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom
UTC quote
This is a rather long post, but I summarized the results in the next few paragraphs.

I have the Olympia Moto Sports gear: GT Air All Seasons Transition Jacket and the Men's Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Over Pant (http://www.olympiamotosports). I have found this gear to be very versatile and comfortable. However, I became interested in the CyclePort gear based on feedback from some fellow riders. That gear can be found at http://motoport.com/.

I purchased the Kevlar Air Mesh Jacket and the Ultra II Kevlar Pant. I chose the option for the Quad Armor upgrade. Since I didn't find a detailed report of the gear, I thought I would post my initial review.

Summary for those of you who don't want to read a lot:

Overall impression: Good

Pros:
Excellent Protective Features
Well constructed
Reflective tape easily seen at night

Cons:
Heavy apparel (but you don't really notice it when wearing it)
Needs a breaking in period
Won't fit in your scoot storage
Pants to Jacket Zipper difficult to connect
Jacket with thermal liner is tight in the arms

Description and initial impressions:

I selected the Air Mesh Jacket for use during most weather conditions: summer to winter temperatures. The air mesh material is rough to the touch, but it provides great protection while still letting the air flow through. I have a TourMaster mesh jacket that feels like nylon, too baggy, and little protection. The CyclePort jacket beats this hands down.

For the pants, I elected to go with the stretch kevlar and not the air mesh. The pants do not have an insulated liner option, so I chose fabric that does not have as much air flow. In addition, the Air Mesh is rough to the touch and I saw posts that the Air Mesh pants scratched some paint on motorcycles.

Both fabrics are a Kevlar blend designed to have a high abrasion strength and tear threshold. I have worn the gear under a variety of temperature conditions: 50 to 75 with just a wicking T-shirt and light shorts underneath (no liners in the gear), low 40's with the thermal liner in the jacket, no liner in the pants but wearing light cotton kahki's, and waterproof liner (thermal omitted) in the mid 60's. The only time I approached being uncomfortable was when I was riding in the low 50's with no liners and just a T-shirt/shorts on. I was chilled in the arms and chest, but not so bad that I couldn't ride. The pants kept me warm throughout the ride. I did have trouble connecting the jacket to the pants with the connecting zipper. The starting point of the zipper is around my right side, and you hsve to lift the pants up to mate with the zipper connection. It is awkward positioning.

The instructions say to wear the gear without the liners for at least two hours to "break in" the armor. My initial break in period was about 4 hours of riding. I found the armor stiff, particularly in the back of the jacket. However, the next day I went to ride, the gear felt comfortable. I can see that over time, the armor will mold to my body shape, but even though clearly stated on the web site, I didn't appreciate the break in that would be required.

The Quad armor is as advertised. It is soft enough to provide impact protection, but not too soft that it fails to do the job. In fact, it is much better (to the feel) for protection than the C-E armor in my Olympia gear. (I know, feel is not a scientific test of armor protection, so don't chide me about that.)

Putting on the pants seems awkward at first, because you have to put your left leg in the partially opened pant leg, then wrap the right side and leg around you and then zip up the entire right leg. The pants are heavy, and the waist is constructed higher than where I wear my pants, so they tend to drop down a couple of inches. I understand the high waist, because it gives overlapping coverage with the waist jacket, but it is difficult to keep the pants up so that the knee armor fits. The knee armor (particularly the left leg) tends to rotate to the outside of my leg; something that needs to get fixed. I'll let you know how my conversation with CyclePort (Motoport) goes on altering the pants. Even with these minor deficiencies, the pants are comfortable and provide great protection from the kevlar material to the armor for the shins/knees, the thigh, and the hip padding (hip padding is not armor). The only thing I wish I had was butt armor to wear at work, but that is another story altogether.

The website advertises that the gear can be put in a washing machine, armor and all, to clean. When you get the instructions, however, they say to only wash it in a front loading machine (which I have). I assume that they would need to be washed by hand otherwise. Given the construction of the gear, I'm not sure why you can't put it in a top loader unless it is the weight of the gear that could cause problems during the spin cycle.

The following pictures show the features of the gear.

All in all, I'm pleased with the purchase. The gear is pricey, but is definitely made to protect. I'll report back regarding any corrective alterations to the pants.
The first picture shows the Air Mesh Jacket. The gray material is the Air Mesh; the black material is stretch Kevlar.
The first picture shows the Air Mesh Jacket. The gray material is the Air Mesh; the black material is stretch Kevlar.
This picture shows the inside of the jacket with the armor.  The back armor is broad in the lower back. The “side” armor actually covers the ribs and part of the chest. What is not shown is the armor inside the sleeves. The shoulder, elbow, and forear
This picture shows the inside of the jacket with the armor. The back armor is broad in the lower back. The “side” armor actually covers the ribs and part of the chest. What is not shown is the armor inside the sleeves. The shoulder, elbow, and forear
The next picture shows the back of the jacket. The reflective tape is glowing from the flash of the camera.
The next picture shows the back of the jacket. The reflective tape is glowing from the flash of the camera.
The pants picture shows pockets that are actually on the side like cargo pants.  There is a velcro/zipper flap on each pant leg to give you access to the inside of the pant leg, reaching the pockets of the pants worn underneath.
The pants picture shows pockets that are actually on the side like cargo pants. There is a velcro/zipper flap on each pant leg to give you access to the inside of the pant leg, reaching the pockets of the pants worn underneath.
The inside of the pants have armor for the thigh (upper armor in picture) and the knee/shin.  The photo is of the right leg, with the zipper opened up fully.
The inside of the pants have armor for the thigh (upper armor in picture) and the knee/shin. The photo is of the right leg, with the zipper opened up fully.
The last picture shows the edge of the Quad armor.  It has a three ply dense foam covered by a thicker armor padding.
The last picture shows the edge of the Quad armor. It has a three ply dense foam covered by a thicker armor padding.
@luthorhuss avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)

Ossessionato
@luthorhuss avatar
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
UTC quote
Great write up! I'll have to check out that quad armor when we meet up...is it stiff or flexible?
OP
@kevink avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@kevink avatar
UTC quote
It is flexible, but not takes some pressure to bend. The "break-in" period is to help mold the armor around your body contour.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
I have the Motoport jacket...

Love it....light, comfy...

$$$

R

8)
@gianni avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red

Molto Verboso
@gianni avatar
GTS Vintage Red
UTC quote
I have the same outfit. The quality is outstanding. The Jacket is wonderful after break-in. I hate the Pants. They are bulky period. I do not wear them unless for a long trip with highways...

My jacket is black with a High-Viz Green tape.

G
@gianni avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red

Molto Verboso
@gianni avatar
GTS Vintage Red
UTC quote
I just realized I have the Ultra II Airmesh which is a 3/4 legnth Jacket. Really like it!
@scoot_man avatar
UTC

Hooked
Aprilia SC250

Hooked
@scoot_man avatar
Aprilia SC250
UTC quote
I have the Riva A/X model that I am looking to sell. I bought it in a package deal when I got my Fiance's Riva and it is just to big for me. These jackets run real tight. It is a XXL but would comfortably fit someone that normally wears a L or XL. It also comes with the liner. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Steve
@tb avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro

Ossessionato
@tb avatar
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
UTC quote
Appriciate the write up...am considering same.
@smrf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit

Molto Verboso
@smrf avatar
Smrfmobile was a 2007 sky blue Piaggio MP3 250ie w/Tow-Pac, Inc. Instatrike B kit
UTC quote
I have the Ultra II Air Mesh jacket and pants and like the protection of all. The exterior feel is rough but hey I'm on the inside so I don't care. I don't have issues with my pants riding up though yes the jacket and pants are heavy if you were to carry them around by hand but are well balanced and you don't notice the weight when they're worn. To deal with the weight of the pants, I put suspenders on them so it's easier to zip up the pant legs. I do not regret the money spent on my gear, I feel very protected. I've worn them in 109 degree heat to 20 degree. Toreador Pants
⬆️    About 8 months elapsed    ⬇️
@deepfraught avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 Gilera Fuoco 500ie, 2005 Piaggio X9 Evolution 500ie

Hooked
@deepfraught avatar
2007 Gilera Fuoco 500ie, 2005 Piaggio X9 Evolution 500ie
UTC quote
smrf, do you have the liners for your jacket/pants, any tips on sizing?
- how your measurements compare to theirs to size
- how that compares back to using it
- with/without liners?
@smrf avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@smrf avatar
UTC quote
I've placed two orders with Cycleport now and am thrilled with their products.

The original order was placed with the 2 part liner for the jacket and the single windproof/waterproof liner for the pants (as advertised on their website).

A year after my original order I decided to buy a second jacket with more specific special order things on it I wanted (more pockets, longer back, etc). I mailed them back my original liners so they could fit the zipper to it and therefore the jacket liners will work in either jacket and also I wanted them to make me a second pant liner. They don't recommend or advertise the sale of insulated pant liners as they said they had too many people complain about being too warm but I'm almost always colder than the people around me and in the winter my legs were still cold with the single windproof/waterproof pant liner so I had a second pair made (which is a single layer windproof/waterproof and insulated). Again, sending them my original liner allows for the new liner to zip into my old pants.

As for measurements...follow the directions provided by them (don't go by any number on clothes you currently own) on their website or by email as I don't figure you want to call them to get the instructions and if you do follow the instructions the items will fit great!! The measurements are taken quite similarly to getting a custom suit made.

My measurements were taken when I weighed about 120 pounds and over a course of 1.5 years I gained 50 pounds and than loss 40 (yup still need to lose some) but the setup has always fit during the weight change without feeling too bulky when I'm average weight nor too tight when I was at my heaviest. The only thing I couldn't fasten at my heaviest was the collar snap on my jacket.

The only thing I added (after market) to my pants were suspenders, as I don't have hips to hold them up and hate to tighten the belt snuggly as belts in general give me a stomach ache.

Everything fits well whether worn with the liners or not. I've also used just the liners for a windbreaker type jacket/pants combo when camping...so all the components are really worth their money.

The only thing I recommend for the pants and pant liners is for you to mention you want them to make them go up higher than standard so it's easier to get in/out of them. I have poor flexibility so sometimes I'll start tipping over when putting them on but when I mentioned it to them prior to the making of my second pant liner they said easily solved by having the zipper end higher up on the thigh.

The gear from Cycleport is expensive (BUT WORTH IT) compared to off the rack stuff at your local cycle shop but quite comparable in price for custom from almost any brand. ALSO, if you didn't read my other thread I was recently rear-ended on my scoot two Sat's ago and though my scoot setup kept him from being dropped or me from being ejected I bounced around and body slammed by backrest and handlebars. It put my back outta whack but NO bruises and I feel confident it's due to the QUAD armor of my Cycleport gear.

More questions, let me know.
deepfraught wrote:
smrf, do you have the liners for your jacket/pants, any tips on sizing?
- how your measurements compare to theirs to size
- how that compares back to using it
- with/without liners?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0403s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0181s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]