Headset Removal Help: LX150
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:27 am quote
This morning was my second failed attempt to remove the headset from the front of my LX150. Following robotribe's excellent instructions in the Tech Library, I removed asll the requisite screws and followed the intructions for popping off the headset. But, at best, I was only able to loosen the bottom half of it. The top's just stuck. I pulled from the mirror holes towards the grips and... nothiing. Won't budge. Advice? Tips?

BTW, the problem I am tring to fix: Rear brake and mirror assembly have become wobbly, and will move vertically as much as an inch or so. Really messes with the mirror. I figure something simple needs tightening. But I can't get to it.

Thanks!
Hooked
lx 150
Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:54 pm quote
There are tab like things that secure the top of the headset on. I gently pryed with a screw driver and the one that wasn't already broken(I love my lx but damn) came undone...I can't remember how they were exactly but try to put some pressure on the bottom half by the handle bars and lifting up the top half...then try the opposite.

Hopefully some one smarter than me will better explain this for you.
Wiki Moderator
Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:24 pm quote
tippytop wrote:
There are tab like things that secure the top of the headset on. I gently pryed with a screw driver and the one that wasn't already broken(I love my lx but damn) came undone...I can't remember how they were exactly but try to put some pressure on the bottom half by the handle bars and lifting up the top half...then try the opposite.

Hopefully some one smarter than me will better explain this for you.
Thanks. I tried to locate the tabs... no use. From the photos in the Tech Library, it all looks very simple. But damn, I was pressing, squeezing and yanking the damn thing.
Addicted
Vespa LX150
Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:21 pm quote
I have an extra heaset. Here are some pics to show you the location of the tabs. As you can see since the tabs are on the top left and right sides you would be able to move the bottom of the headset and not the top. Hope this helps.

CIMG1519a.jpg
Heaset back

CIMG1514a.jpg
Tab close up

CIMG1515a.jpg
Left tab

CIMG1516a.jpg
Right tab

Wiki Moderator
Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:37 pm quote
Great! Thanks. I'll see if I can crack it again in the morning.
Enthusiast
Vespa LX150
Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:13 am quote
We had the same problem recently when we were trying to fill the brake fluid on my lx150. My husband said he just pulled it straight out. I was nearly in tears thinking we were gonna brake my new scoot. We took out 3 screws, then pulled. We just wiggled & wrenched & pulled until it came out. Good luck!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1367s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0343s) ][ Debug on ]