Search engine
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:49 pm quote
We need a search engine for the WIKI section. I am looking for anything related to windshields and can not find anything, do we have to go line by line thru all the pages to find what we are looking for? This needs to be easier.
Molto Verboso
Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:30 pm quote
There is a way to search the Wiki:
. select the search button near the top of every MV page
. In the "Search Query" section, key in your search word(s) in the first box. If you know the author, enter their name in the second box. Otherwise enter an asterisk (*).
. In the "Search Options" box, look for "Forum" and click on the arrow next to the selection box. Select "Modern Vespa Wiki" from the drop down menu. (It's sixth on the list.) Select any other options you desire and press the "Search" button or press your enter key.

Hope this helps.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250, Several Lambrettas
Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:20 pm quote
Karen, I think that search will only search *this* discussion forum, not the wiki articles themselves. I too wish there was a better search.

A work around however is to let google search the site by specifying "site: modernvespa.com/forum/wiki" (omit the quotation marks) after your search variables in a google search box. Google will return some results from the wiki. They are not comprehensive however.

The problem however is knowing the exact word to get the desired results. 'windshield' 'windscreen' 'flyscreen' 'wind shield' 'wind screen' 'fly screen' all get the point across in a posting, but make for wildly differing results in a search engine. Too bad there's not a google search widget for the forum software Jess could incorporate to transparently search just the wiki.
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:04 am quote
Erich51, this is a reasonable inquiry.

Karen, Starr-- thanks for the helpful responses.

We'll put this on the To Do List!

--Deborah
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2014 Piaggio Fly 150
Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:52 am quote
Jess is aware of this deficiency in the search engine. I believe that Starr is completely correct, searching the wiki forum only searches this forum and not the wiki articles themselves so could easily miss getting you the information that you're searching for.

For now, we have to do a visual search of the list of wiki articles.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250, Several Lambrettas
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:20 am quote
I'm 99% sure I've run across posts that have been moved to the graveyard, yet still show up in searches.

If that is still the case, a possible workaround might be to post the entire text of a wiki article in the discussion thread, then move the post to the graveyard. A subsequent search should show the graveyard post. Clicking on the post takes one to a dead end, but clicking on the topic listed will bring one to the discussion topic, and there one could link to the article itself.
Molto Verboso
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:34 am quote
starreem wrote:
. . . google search the site by specifying "site: modernvespa.com/forum/wiki" (omit the quotation marks) after your search variables in a google search box. . .
That's a great tip, Starr. Thanks! I'll add it to my "Notes."
I've been really lucky using search here. Even if I don't find exactly what I'm looking for, there's always something else that pops up and I get to learn something new.
El Macho
Yamaha TMAX, Vespa GTS 300
Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:53 am quote
There aren't any windshield pages in the wiki apart from how to cut one down.

I'm wondering if Eric is trying to sift through the pages in the Wiki discussion forum instead of using the main Wiki item on the top menu bar?

Not that it would actually help much in this case.

Now if someone could actually write an aritcle on windshields....

I've just thought about this and have decided to move it to General Discussion to see if it garners any more answers, as it is a bit hidden it the Wiki Discussion area. There are some really helpful suggestions in here, which may be very relevant to everyone.
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:52 am quote
ks7877 wrote:
There is a way to search the Wiki:
. select the search button near the top of every MV page
. In the "Search Query" section, key in your search word(s) in the first box. If you know the author, enter their name in the second box. Otherwise enter an asterisk (*).
. In the "Search Options" box, look for "Forum" and click on the arrow next to the selection box. Select "Modern Vespa Wiki" from the drop down menu. (It's sixth on the list.) Select any other options you desire and press the "Search" button or press your enter key.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response to my question, I didn't know it worked that way.
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 am quote
starreem wrote:
Karen, I think that search will only search *this* discussion forum, not the wiki articles themselves. I too wish there was a better search.

A work around however is to let google search the site by specifying "site: modernvespa.com/forum/wiki" (omit the quotation marks) after your search variables in a google search box. Google will return some results from the wiki. They are not comprehensive however.

The problem however is knowing the exact word to get the desired results. 'windshield' 'windscreen' 'flyscreen' 'wind shield' 'wind screen' 'fly screen' all get the point across in a posting, but make for wildly differing results in a search engine. Too bad there's not a google search widget for the forum software Jess could incorporate to transparently search just the wiki.
I'll try your idea too.
Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:16 pm quote
starreem wrote:

If you use Google's 'advanced search' (just to the right of the google 'search' button) there's an option for three term searching in a specific site.
Banned
29,000 miles on my atlantic pastel green 2007 GTS 250
Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:46 pm quote
DougL wrote:
Errrr, there is at least one, hidden under Modifications:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-cupolino-flyscreen-installation-gt-gts
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:40 pm quote
windbreaker wrote:
DougL wrote:
Errrr, there is at least one, hidden under Modifications:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-cupolino-flyscreen-installation-gt-gts
Now I have three places to learn about, thank you all for the heads up.
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:35 pm quote
Why I wait
Hello,
When I post a question I watch it for awhile to see if anyone posts a comment and if none is made withing say 15 minutes, then I shut down my laptop and go out for the evening. I get home late and I am tired, so I go to bed. In the morning I check for any responces to my post and that is when I say a thankyou on the advise I get. Now this seems to irratate some people and I don't mean to. It's just the way I am wired up to function.
Banned
GTS 250ie - SHINY YELLOW
Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 pm quote
Question
Is there a place I can see the Moderators names posted, in this way I won't irritate the people in charge?
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:38 pm quote
Re: Question
erich51 wrote:
Is there a place I can see the Moderators names posted, in this way I won't irritate the people in charge?
On the bottom of the main MV page, you can see the nickname for everyone who is logged in, and who chooses to have their name displayed. The moderators have their names shown in green.
El Macho
Yamaha TMAX, Vespa GTS 300
Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 pm quote
Re: Question
erich51 wrote:
To be frank, the moderators are the least likely people that you would irritate. I'd be more worried about irritating the other folks. Just my opinion.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1050s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0467s) ][ Debug on ]