New Dr Pulley HIT racing clutch installed
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 123Next
Hooked
'09 Piaggio MP3 400
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:06 pm quote

Wow! You can set the Dr Pulley Hit [High initial takeoff] Racing Clutch up any one of about 10 different ways to suit your needs. There is even one setup with a strong clutch spring and no pillow sprint, that gives you such a fast start from standing, that you are supposed to be able to do wheelies with it!

Needless to say, I no longer have the initial takeoff lag problem that I'd had and was trying to get rid of on my MPe 400!!

I've only used it with the factory setup and haven't tried any of the various strength springs that were included with it, yet.....as the initial setup, seemed just about right for me right out of the box for my style of riding.

I am well pleased, having solved my problem and knowing that all the power my engine is creating is being transferred to my wheels.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:15 pm quote
Re: New Dr Pulley HIT racing clutch installed
proweddingphotos wrote:

Wow! You can set the Dr Pulley Hit [High initial takeoff] Racing Clutch up any one of about 10 different ways to suit your needs. There is even one setup with a strong clutch spring and no pillow sprint, that gives you such a fast start from standing, that you are supposed to be able to do wheelies with it!
LOL *That* I'd pay money to see!
Banned

Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:45 pm quote
proweddingphotos wrote:
There is even one setup with a strong clutch spring and no pillow sprint, that gives you such a fast start from standing, that you are supposed to be able to do wheelies with it!
Not a chance of that on the MP3 The front end is to heavy, it would be more likely to spin the tire.

Wayne B
Hooked
'09 Piaggio MP3 400
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:50 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
proweddingphotos wrote:

Even if it did, I'm afraid that you'd never see me doing one!!
Hooked
'09 Piaggio MP3 400
Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:52 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
proweddingphotos wrote:

BubbaJon, are you sure we aren't related? Your avitar photo is a dead ringer for my older brother that lives in California!! It's so freaky!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:57 pm quote
proweddingphotos wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
proweddingphotos wrote:

BubbaJon, are you sure we aren't related? Your avitar photo is a dead ringer for my older brother that lives in California!! It's so freaky!!
I dunno - Duncans on my moms side - Smiths on my dads. Most of my dads side are Cherokee. We do in fact have some Duncan kin out in California.
Ossessionato
Mp3 500
Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm quote
I always wonder if you get a clutch like this, can you go really slow?
Or does it simply do "full tilt-shot out of a canon mode" or no power at all?
I would assume you can't have both, so what happens if you need to creep along in traffic, or a parking lot, or just doing slow speed turns?
Hooked
'09 Piaggio MP3 400
Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:11 pm quote
Rob In Denver wrote:
I always wonder if you get a clutch like this, can you go really slow?
Or does it simply do "full tilt-shot out of a canon mode" or no power at all?
I would assume you can't have both, so what happens if you need to creep along in traffic, or a parking lot, or just doing slow speed turns?
I'm having no problems going slow with it, as in a parking lot. It's when I crank the throttle that the clutch really seems to bite and respond, otherwise, it's about the same as the old one at low speed.

I'm using it as it came set-up...and that's absolutely not for wheelie-type starts. They did send a complete assortment of springs for me to try, if I decide I want something zippier yet.
Lurker

Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:33 pm quote
May I ask where you purchased the hit clutch ?

I live in europe and I am interested in this setup for my 500.

Cheers

alex.
Hooked
MP3 400 i.e.
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 am quote
did you fit the Dr pulley weights and Fuzzy washer before the clutch or all together. if the former I'd be interested in your experience of what each successive modification has added.
Addicted
MP3 250 -> MP3 400 -> Gilera Fuoco -> SRV 850 -> Beverly 350
Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:48 am quote
snowgum wrote:
did you fit the Dr pulley weights and Fuzzy washer before the clutch or all together. if the former I'd be interested in your experience of what each successive modification has added.
So would I! The OP doesn't mention weights and washer - did prowedding tell us he'd done these in a previous post?
Hooked
MP3 400 i.e.
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 am quote
They're listed in the bit at the bottom of the OP along with all other mods
Addicted
MP3 250 -> MP3 400 -> Gilera Fuoco -> SRV 850 -> Beverly 350
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:27 am quote
Ah! lol. Well, no wonder there's no lag anymore!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 am quote
snowgum wrote:
LOL - Rick - you just got your 15 minutes of fame - aka the originator of the "Fuzzy Washer".
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:51 am quote
snowgum wrote:
They're listed in the bit at the bottom of the OP along with all other mods
I think that's his wish list since he lists the turntable project that is still being brainstormed...
Hooked
'09 Piaggio MP3 400
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:35 am quote
Alex_J wrote:

Cheers

alex.
I purchased the Hit non-slip racing clutch directly from Paul Wu at the manufacturer in Tiawan. You can contact him at paul@unionmaterial.com. It is also available online at scootertrap.com.
Lurker

Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:36 pm quote
thank you very much for the information !

cheers

alex.
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:20 pm quote
proweddingphotos wrote:
Alex_J wrote:

Cheers

alex.
I purchased the Hit non-slip racing clutch directly from Paul Wu at the manufacturer in Tiawan. You can contact him at paul@unionmaterial.com. It is also available online at scootertrap.com.
I don't see the Dr Pulley HiT clutch under the Piaggio Mp3 pages on scootertrap anymore. And the sliders are listed as "no longer available"... methinks Matt's all done with MRP, the Dr Pulley importer... and that may simply be a result of poor service on the part of MRP and the Taiwan mfr offering to sell direct to end users... That's what I did, as are many others now.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:55 pm quote
BubbaJon wrote:
snowgum wrote:
LOL - Rick - you just got your 15 minutes of fame - aka the originator of the "Fuzzy Washer".
Dang. I was at work and missed it.
Hooked
ScooterTrap.com
Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:23 pm quote
BravoTwoFour wrote:
proweddingphotos wrote:
Alex_J wrote:

Cheers

alex.
I don't see the Dr Pulley HiT clutch under the Piaggio Mp3 pages on scootertrap anymore. And the sliders are listed as "no longer available"... methinks Matt's all done with MRP, the Dr Pulley importer... and that may simply be a result of poor service on the part of MRP and the Taiwan mfr offering to sell direct to end users... That's what I did, as are many others now.
Ding!

Matt C.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:17 pm quote
manfetti wrote:
BravoTwoFour wrote:
proweddingphotos wrote:
Alex_J wrote:

Cheers

alex.
Ding!

Matt C.
at least I got mine before you sold out, even though they are not installed yet. Sorry to hear your done with that product Matt. I hope you can find another supplier, or better yet why can you try and be the importer for them?
Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm quote
Finally! A report on the clutch! I've asked about this a BUNCH of times but no one has ever installed one that I know of. I thought it should help after installing the Costa but didn't know for sure. (I hate the "lag.")

I guess I have to get one now - except I'm leaving the country for a couple of months and am not sure if I should do it now or when I get back. Thanks a lot for the report. Maybe I should wait and see how you are doing when I get back.

Late edit: I gave up and ordered mine. The cost was $320, should be delivered after Christmas and before new year.

Last edited by jerryw on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
ScooterTrap.com
Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:31 am quote
I don't think we'll be picking them back up again but never say never right.... at least I won't be getting the clutches. They are reportedly having a high fail rate and failing to honor warranty claims. There is also talks of lawsuits which is enough for me to say buh-bye.

Matt C.
Hooked
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:37 am quote
Hi,

here's something about the HiT --Review of HiT clutch for 07 and 08 400s

in http://www.burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=41058&hilit=HiT+CLUTCH&sid=270173828f40cf5f098180b9543574ce&start=75[url][/url]

HiT251701,4pcs shoes.jpg

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 am quote
Dr.Pulley wrote:
pretty good reviews withe the burgman. So now that scootertrap is not selling them where do we get them here in the USA?
Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Dr.Pulley wrote:
pretty good reviews withe the burgman. So now that scootertrap is not selling them where do we get them here in the USA?
You can buy them direct from Paul Wu. He has been very communicative in email and offered to sell me one of these along with the sliders I already ordered (which are on the way - wahoo!). I opted to wait until spring and for more experience by others with the HiT for the Mp3 before I order one. Paul's email is given several places in this and other threads regarding this product.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm quote
I'm ordering one today. My dad was a mechanic and taught me to "listen" to the engine and how it was moving the vehicle. I have always felt some slipping but it is even more pronounced after installing the J Costa. I have to try it. There is just too much slipping.

Later note: Just got an email from Paul that mine will ship Mon. Cost $320.
2009 Piaggio MP3 500/Fuoco
Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:07 pm quote
HiT clutch just installed - MP3 500
Seeing as there is a lack of feedback on the HiT I'll also chime in on my results.

My setup also includes the J-Costa

First off.

It was a very pleasant experience dealing with Paul from UnionMaterial. E-mail correspondence was prompt and informative and my order was received in good condition within a week.

Now regarding the HiT. I had it installed with the default spring setup which is biased towards more comfortable initial takeoff acceleration over stronger takeoff acceleration. The first thing I had noticed when taking a test spin around the lot was a greater smoothness across the entire speed range. Slow speed maneuvering has become near buttery smooth on top of the benefits of the J-Costa and WOT takeoff/hard acceleration feels stronger compared to OEM.

Overall a worthwhile upgrade for those looking for that little bit more from their CVT.
GILERA - FUOCO 500ie
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 am quote
Can enyone tell me.... if the kit off the Dr Pulley clutch include a bell or you can use the OEM original Piaggio bell ...????
Hooked
Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:58 pm quote
eurotasos wrote:
Can enyone tell me.... if the kit off the Dr Pulley clutch include a bell or you can use the OEM original Piaggio bell ...????
Hi,

The thickness the Piaggio bell is thick enough,Dr.Pulley do not supply clutch bell for Piaggio group scooters and you could use the OEM original one.
Hooked
Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm quote
Re: HiT clutch just installed - MP3 500
little_chef wrote:
Seeing as there is a lack of feedback on the HiT I'll also chime in on my results.

My setup also includes the J-Costa

First off.

It was a very pleasant experience dealing with Paul from UnionMaterial. E-mail correspondence was prompt and informative and my order was received in good condition within a week.

Now regarding the HiT. I had it installed with the default spring setup which is biased towards more comfortable initial takeoff acceleration over stronger takeoff acceleration. The first thing I had noticed when taking a test spin around the lot was a greater smoothness across the entire speed range. Slow speed maneuvering has become near buttery smooth on top of the benefits of the J-Costa and WOT takeoff/hard acceleration feels stronger compared to OEM.

Overall a worthwhile upgrade for those looking for that little bit more from their CVT.
Hi little_chef,

It's over one year since you installed the HiT,if you have any update information about the HiT clutch ? please tell us
1)how many kilometers has the HiT been used ?
2)did you ever dismount the HiT to check the wear pad on the clutch
weight and how is that?
3)how is the performance of HiT now ? is there anything different
from the beginning?

Thanks,
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:19 am quote
JerryW has a HiT clutch also - might wanna PM him.
GILERA - FUOCO 500ie
Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:00 am quote
Yesterday i`ve recieved my Dr Pulley Clutch and roller...

I`ve made an unboxing video on youtube...

I am going to use first the 21g roller but i`m little confused about the cutch and pillow springs...

The clutch has preloaded springs on, and several αlternatιve pillow and clutch springs.....

Does anybody knows what is the best compination to use ....or ....i can leave it with the preloaded spings...???

I`am wondering because ....if i use different weight roller do i have to change also the clutch or pillow springs.....or maybe both...???
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:02 am quote
I believe when Jerry installed his he made full note of the spring combinations he used for his 500 and the final configuration.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:04 am quote
found it

HIT Clutch for MP3 400/500 documents
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:45 am quote
I hate reviving long forgotten posts, but don't want to start a new one. I the questions was asked about the weights. Upon reading the Dr. Pulley site, I see they recommend using close to stock vario weights. What are you using for the ones that have replaced the stock clutch with this one? I am contemplating replacing mine with one of these, as I am tired of the slight take off lag and wanted opinions. Also, are you still using these and do they seem to be reliable? Not quite sure if some of the originals in this thread are still here or posting, but again, did not want to start a new thread since this one is already here.

Thanks a bunch for the information.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:13 am quote
No best setup is 17gram weights and a hitclutch with stock springs and bot torque rings
Hooked
2019 MP3 500hpe Sport
Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:53 am quote
Thanks for the information. Next service will be coming up soon for me and was looking to replace clutch with the hit model from Dr. Pulley. Currently have Dr. Pulley for the vario, but have no idea what the previous owner used in regard to weight.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:28 pm quote
Well iff dirk doesn't have the hit is stock i do also plenty of 17 gram
Hooked
MP3 500
Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:00 am quote
Maksor wrote:
No best setup is 17gram weights and a hitclutch with stock springs and bot torque rings
What are bot torque rings?

I have an HiT uninstalled and may do it beginning of next season when I change belt.
Team Scooter Trash for Petfinder Foundation   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.3252s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0710s) ][ Debug on ]