@torontowest avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 Super, 76 Sprint Veloce, Ape

Addicted
@torontowest avatar
GTS 300 Super, 76 Sprint Veloce, Ape
UTC quote
As you may already be aware the new Piaggio MP3 is coming to Canada and the USA only available with the 250cc engine.
We would like to hear feedback from all members on your thoughts on this new 3-wheeler. Your likes, dislikes, who you think the target market is, etc... If you are not familiar with the MP3 please visit www.vespaburlington.com and follow the link from the home page.
@turkman avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 250

Ossessionato
@turkman avatar
2009 GTV 250
UTC quote
MP3
With its extra weight a 500cc motor would be great!
@altaman avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 500

Hooked
@altaman avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Maybe bigger tires...love the storage space though and would dearly like a 500cc version.

Alt
@msgts avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS "Alessandro"/ MP3 "Thor"

Addicted
@msgts avatar
UTC quote
A 500cc motor would be a poor choice for Canada as it would elevate this vehicle into a higher insurance category - same as a larger motorcycle!

250 cc will do very nicely thanks.

This is a quirky unit that will appeal to ? demographic. Can't pinpoint
coz I'm a 30 something female and it appeals big time - do the two
wheels up front mean it will be more appealing for shorter peeps I
wonder ? Is the unit easier to manoeuvre at slow speed? Like a
backward tricycle?

I hope the price is more Piaggio than Vespa (if you know what I mean).
An inflated sticker price, and the fact that it is a new design/model might cast some doubts - I would be content to wait out its first few public seasons that's for sure.
Wait for the "exhaust gasket" recalls, or for the local mechanic/s to receive some factory training etc. Gawd, wishful thinking on my part!

It should also be named the Piaggio UTV - "urban terrain vehicle" because when I look at it I see a road dwelling ATV!

Diana
@david avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250 black

Hooked
@david avatar
GTS250 black
UTC quote
I would like to see at least a 400cc engine,
solid paint colours(non-metalic),
and both headlights operating at once, because whenever I see a bike with only the one headlight on it looks like the other is broken and this bothers me.
i think it shouls be called The Scorpian
@mgg avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 BV500

Hooked
@mgg avatar
2007 BV500
UTC quote
I think it is king of cool. The videos make it look like it really handles well.
More stability than a 2 wheeler on corners.
MGG
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
I have an ET4. I was going to upgrade to a GTS 250, but then the MP3 came along. What an exciting innovation. Sure, I am worried about buying a Beta Bike, but I guess I'm a bit of a gambler.

If you put 400 or more CCs on it, you would need larger tires, larger everything. Then you couldn't easily weave through stalled traffic, and flit around town like a bumble bee, which is the real joy of having a scooter in the first place.
UTC

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e

Addicted
GT-200L & 1991 p200e
UTC quote
It appeals to me as a safe urban vehicle for San Francisco where I live part-time. As I become elderly ( I'd like to say it's gradual, but it seems to be happening in a hurry ), a leaning three-wheeler might be the only thrilling vehicle I'll be comfortable driving.

I, also, will probably wait out the beta-testing first year and I'll keep my finger crossed that they make it into a second year. While saving my pennies.

A year from now I'll put an MP3 in my vehicle collection. ( currently a WRX, a GT-200 and a GL650 ).

Russ in Mountain View
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
I think it's great that that the MP3 is coming to North America in the 250cc form. There is sufficient power to move this beast, and it is still good on gas. However, those seeking a little more go might be happier if the engine can go right up to 400cc (but nothing more b/c of insurance purposes). And while Piaggio is at it, they might as well make it a parallel twin instead of a single cylinder. Razz emoticon

On paper and video, the MP3 sounds great, but I am a little worried about how different it might feel to actually ride it (compared to a regular scooter).

One major dislike is the look. It certainly looks different, but it doesn't look very pretty to me. Something with that front end just doesn't seem to mesh and go together. But I can certainly live with the look.

Another major concern, on a much larger scale, is reliability and after sale support. With the scooter being a completely new and novel design, there are bound to be design / engineering oversights. How well will Canadian Scooter Corp / Vespa USA be able to support their customers for that? I'm just scared stiff about after sale support because I almost expect a completely brand new product to have some minor issues, and with that, after sale support becomes even more important.

I have no idea what the exact demographics of the MP3 would be, but I would imagine that at least a sizable number of MP3 owners would be people who were too afraid to try a 2-wheeled motorcycle / motor-scooter before, or as pointergame were saying, boomers who are now looking for something a little more relaxing and accomodating than their old cruisers / tourers / sportsbikes. If Piaggio could somehow successfully market the superior stability and maximal fun factor that the MP3 offers, I would imagine that a lot of people could be sold on that.

-Rick
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Heck I like the concept enough to try it out. The bike looks aimed at folks willing to try new style/function/form etc. If it rides like a normal 2 wheel more the better.

Now one thing that has not been talked about is ths "is this a true bike" factor. I know I see trikes on the road a bunch. How are these put through on DMV/Insurance? Do they qualify as a bike, or as a car? I am not sure, just wondering.

Will it sell, yes, I think so. Will it be supported, I am not sure. I have read a ton of good short term reviews on it, time will tell if it gets good or bad long term use reviews.

I would also like to see the 500cc engine stuffed in this beast. At this point I would buy one and ride it all day. Would be a great cruiser, Beale.
@chetwynder avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Baart-less

Ossessionato
@chetwynder avatar
Baart-less
UTC quote
David wrote:
and both headlights operating at once, because whenever I see a bike with only the one headlight on it looks like the other is broken and this bothers me.
The reason behind the one headlight on at a time set up is that two closely spaced headlights can be mistaken for a car in the distance rather what it really is - a bike or scooter quite close. I believe this is mandated by the government and probably impossible to change. It makes sense to me but perhaps a redesign with a single headlight out front would look better, although the front end is pretty wide it may look pretty strange. It would not be very difficult to re-wire if you really had to have both on at one time.

Dave
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
To assuage our fears of a new and radical scooter, I suggest that Vespa include a three year warranty with the MP3.
@revtotheredline avatar
UTC

Addicted
2013 Honda CBR500RA ABS, 2005 Vespa PX150 w/ GickSpeed 177

Addicted
@revtotheredline avatar
2013 Honda CBR500RA ABS, 2005 Vespa PX150 w/ GickSpeed 177
UTC quote
jmd wrote:
To assuage our fears of a new and radical scooter, I suggest that Vespa include a three year warranty with the MP3.
And throw in an LX50 at no extra charge!
@quixotic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa GTS 250

Enthusiast
@quixotic avatar
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
I'm VERY intrigued, mainly because it would allow me to ride in the ice and snow.
UTC

Vespa GT200

Vespa GT200
UTC quote
MsGTS wrote:
It should also be named the Piaggio UTV - "urban terrain vehicle" because when I look at it I see a road dwelling ATV!

Diana
I think it is a cool vehicle design but the name Mp3 does nothing for me... I like the UTV name... MP3 is so un-original...
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Traum wrote:
One major dislike is the look. It certainly looks different, but it doesn't look very pretty to me. Something with that front end just doesn't seem to mesh and go together. But I can certainly live with the look.
They look much cooler when they're leaning.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

People also thought that the early Vespas were weird looking, but they got over it and 60 years later it's completely turned around.
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
People also thought that the early Vespas were weird looking, but they got over it and 60 years later it's completely turned around.
I dunno about you, Bryce, but I most certainly don't have another 60 years to live!

Also, while the scoot looks much cooler when it is leaning, I think it'll spend more time standing upright than it does leaning. Laughing emoticon

-Rick
@vanslam avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150

Addicted
@vanslam avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Hmmm enough about beta bikes what about the GT200 and the GTS 250 aren't they beta bikes. Yes I think so and how many where on line to buy them as soon as they came out.

All I can say is that a majority of us like to get the latest and greatest asap, and I for sure wil have a MP3 when it comes out. One exception if they try to charge a premium for the bike, I'll put my wants on hold for a bit until the dealer comes to his senses.
@cactus avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2010 GTS 300

Enthusiast
@cactus avatar
2010 GTS 300
UTC quote
Kind of a modern take on a Morgan Three-Wheeler...and maybe one that wouldn't kill & mame its rider/drivers.

It's cool, they need to bring the 250 here, and start prototyping a larger engine to see how much horsepower that concept can safely handle.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Traum wrote:
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
I dunno about you, Bryce, but I most certainly don't have another 60 years to live!

Also, while the scoot looks much cooler when it is leaning, I think it'll spend more time standing upright than it does leaning. Laughing emoticon
Well, I'm only 25, so another 60 years is theoretically possible. My penchant for motorcycles, scooters, and other dangerous, yet thrilling, activities may have some impact on that. If you count when they are sitting in the parking lot, garage, or wherever, then they spend more time upright than leaning. Get one under you, and you will find reasons to make one lean.
Cactus wrote:
Kind of a modern take on a Morgan Three-Wheeler...and maybe one that wouldn't kill & mame its rider/drivers.
It seems likely that this is less likely to maim or kill a rider than a 2 wheeler. Not having driven a Morgan trike, I can't make any claims for that. I do want to drive, and possibly own, a Morgan 3 wheeler. Some of them were so beautiful.
Cactus wrote:
It's cool, they need to bring the 250 here, and start prototyping a larger engine to see how much horsepower that concept can safely handle.
They've already built a 400, it's going to launch in Europe. We are getting the 250 to start off with, and if it takes off the 400 would be a possibility.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Quote:
The reason behind the one headlight on at a time set up is that two closely spaced headlights can be mistaken for a car in the distance rather what it really is - a bike or scooter quite close. I believe this is mandated by the government and probably impossible to change. It makes sense to me but perhaps a redesign with a single headlight out front would look better, although the front end is pretty wide it may look pretty strange. It would not be very difficult to re-wire if you really had to have both on at one time.

Dave
My Yamaha Majesty's lights are both on at the same time. So the SINGLE LIGHT THEORY isn't mandated by the government and it's not impossible to change.
@michael_h avatar
UTC

2006 LX150 "Amadora"

@michael_h avatar
2006 LX150 "Amadora"
UTC quote
I just don't like the look of them, and remain concerned about what bugs may emerge. While I salute their technological brilliance in being able to make the scooter work, I am concerned about how reliable the mechanics will be, and how much parts support there will be if something needs replacing. The N. American market will probably be the same as scooters in general, mainly middle life individuals with extra cash to burn. My 0.02 cents worth.
@punkelf avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 BV200, 1976 Sprint 150 Veloce

Hooked
@punkelf avatar
2005 BV200, 1976 Sprint 150 Veloce
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
Cactus wrote:
They've already built a 400, it's going to launch in Europe. We are getting the 250 to start off with, and if it takes off the 400 would be a possibility.
Bryce -- I know you are on the ball with your scooter news, but where did you hear this? Do you have a link?
'cause man-o-man! a 400cc MP3! That would be schweet!
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
punkelf wrote:
Bryce -- I know you are on the ball with your scooter news, but where did you hear this? Do you have a link?
'cause man-o-man! a 400cc MP3! That would be schweet!
It was a discussion I had with some Piaggio peeps. That said, I've read things about a 400 eventually coming out in Europe. It will also be in the X8, which lends credence to Vespa eventually putting it into a GTS.
@paddylamb avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 250 TWO-TONE/GT60(#993)

Addicted
@paddylamb avatar
GTS 250 TWO-TONE/GT60(#993)
UTC quote
I rode it today!
I'm in San Antonio for the 3cr2 rally-lot's of fun by the way. We stopped at the Vespa dealer today on our group ride and I was able to take it around the parking lot a couple of times. I'd say YES to it. It cornered very well. I think that it would be very comfortable on long rides and the price is only $700 more then my GTS was.
I'm going to see what I can do to get one in January when they arrive.
@johnw avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS300S red

Hooked
@johnw avatar
Vespa GTS300S red
UTC quote
I'm sorry but I think it's just about the ugliest thing (with less than four wheels) I've ever seen. I would be amazed if they sold any in the UK but then again I was wrong about mobile phones and DVD's. :?
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Two wheels are better than three for me. 8)
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
JohnW wrote:
I'm sorry but I think it's just about the ugliest thing (with less than four wheels) I've ever seen. I would be amazed if they sold any in the UK but then again I was wrong about mobile phones and DVD's. :?
Here's the thing, the MP3 is definitely not for those who want new Vespas. Why? Well the people who want new Vespas want retro styling and a sense of nostalgia. There's nothing wrong with that, but if offered the chance to buy a car with retro styling vs. one with the same or better performance and contemporary styling, they would probably choose the retro one. Again, nothing wrong with that, it's a personal decision, but there's an obvious bias. There is also usually a trend to call anything new and different ugly. It did happen to a degree with the very first Vespas, but they caught on pretty quickly because of their utility. I think if people see the utility in this thing, it may well catch on and early detractors and nay sayers won't find themselves on the winning side of history.
@christine avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GT200

Addicted
@christine avatar
Vespa GT200
UTC quote
I just don't like the insect-like design on the bodywork. There are a lot of scooters and MCs I don't like because of that.
@big_foot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment

Ossessionato
@big_foot avatar
Scooterless at the moment
UTC quote
I like the idea of the design, Just worried a bit about the fenders being too
close to the front wheels, Wouldn't mud and snow get gummed up in there?

Oh...Yeah...Forgot to ask...Does it work in the snow?

Nice sig btw...
Do you get many roadside calls for non functioning turn signals? (heh)

Dave
UTC

Vespa GT200L

Vespa GT200L
UTC quote
the mp3 will retail for between 6,899-7,199 and is due at the end of jan, 07
@dougandmichelle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.

Molto Verboso
@dougandmichelle avatar
None. Maybe again someday when Michelle won't worry.
UTC quote
Make it with 4 wheels....2 in front and 2 in back......Make it all wheel drive.......Oversized off road tires (optional)........hmmmmm.
@scoots avatar
UTC

Moderatore Dedicato
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180

Moderatore Dedicato
@scoots avatar
GTS250 Gilera Runner SP180
UTC quote
I'd like to have a GO on one.....as to whether I'd BUY one...hmmm. :?
UTC

Piaggio BV250

Piaggio BV250
UTC quote
It's so ugly/wierd/different/odd....I think I like it. However, I'm not sure I'd buy one. It would be kinda neat to get off the scoot and walk away, no side or center stand to mess with
@msgts avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@msgts avatar
UTC quote
I'm sure the "novelty" of the MP3 will lead to local sales and interest - much like the Smart Car here in Canada. But as a few appear on the road, the novelty will wear off for me.

Everytime I see a maxiscooter these days I think "clever" - but the novelty of ownership did subside and I'm thinking the MP3 would also become another one of my "used to have" scoots -unless there was some real advantage in the ride.

Has anyone found an advantage with three wheels vs two on their test ride? Is it radically different
Might it be a safety thing - like ABS ? Can't notice the difference in the everyday ride but safer when you need it.

I guess I need some compelling reason for the MP3 to be more expensive than a GTS. For "piaggio" plastic to be more expensive than a Vespa of the same capacity!
The price differential for an X9 or BV500 makes some sense for the nice 460cc. But Piaggio MP3 to be more expensive than a GTS and have the same sized engine - and be heavier!
Not to mention nowhere near as attractive - some here have even hinted at "ugly".

There exists a negative stigma with trikes in the cruiser world. As a scooter rider I deal with negative "moped" vibes from time to time. So imagine the comments a "moped trike" might garnish.

Right, so that is my argument for Piaggio to price the MP3 between the Fly 150 and the X9, but no more than the GTS!

You gotta give me some credit for trying *heehee*

It may be an ugly moped trike but I still wanna see it.....

@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Ok, I'll give away a little of my secret. I rode it. I spent a day with it. You'll have to wait for a full review until it comes out in the magazine. So I'll leave it at this: It does what Piaggio claims.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb
UTC quote
honda gyro. had one when i was 13. yawn.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
chad wrote:
honda gyro. had one when i was 13. yawn.
Completely a different animal. Normally, I don't say stuff like this, but until you ride one, you probably won't get it.
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
MsGTS wrote:
Has anyone found an advantage with three wheels vs two on their test ride? Is it radically different
Might it be a safety thing - like ABS ? Can't notice the difference in the everyday ride but safer when you need it.
Ms GTS,

Having 2 front wheels instead of just one most definitely has a tremendous amount of functional advantage. The easiest one to see is the extra stability afforded as a result of having 3 wheels instead of 2. Secondly, Piaggio has claimed that with the additional front wheel comes additional traction, which directly translates in superior grip and braking power -- IIRC, the MP3 has something like a 20% improvement in braking distance over the braking scooters, and 20% is a LOT. I would also imagine that from the greater stability and grip, the MP3 would have superior handling characteristics over similarly sized scooters (think X8, SilverWing, Majesty, etc. here).

-Rick
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
There've been a number of reports trickling in of the MP3 being exactly what it's purported to be -- an honest incremental advance in scooter safety -- which despite the MP3's looks, is a seductive idea.

I am, how shall I say, intrigued with this comment, though:
Quote:
I'm VERY intrigued, mainly because it (the MP3) would allow me to ride in the ice and snow.
Maybe you don't really mean what you wrote, but it's worth remembering that while many vehicles will allow you ride on ice, there isn't one yet that will enable you to stop on ice.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.2028s ][ Queries: 43 (0.1589s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]