Ladies - GoGo Gear Jacket Review
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 500 BLUE DRAGON
Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 pm quote
Went down to Ace Motorcycle and Scooter on Saturday in Chicago and checked out the jackets. Here is my review.

Ace Motorcycle and Scooter is a small garage-like store. More garage than anything. Filled with motorcycles and a few scooters. So do not expect a fancy shop. Bee, the owner is a sweetie and a smart cookie. They are supposed to be featured on the Discovery Channel at some point in the future so keep an eye out for that.

They had a single rack of jackets, The Black Trench, The Grey Trench and I think the Military. They were in a variety of sizes, from 6-22 but not all sizes were available. The Hologram jackets are supposed to be there in about 4 weeks, so I will let you know about those later.

The sizes do run small and I typically take a 6 but I ended up purchasing a size 8 Black Trench. $250.00.

I have not been able to ride in the jacket as of yet, so I cannot give a true review of this product.

Here are the Negatives:

The jacket is very well made, except for the buttons, which need reinforcing ( and I can do that myself). There were small sewing marks left on the jacket behind the buttons, but this will wear off soon.

The Positives:

The jacket is very well made. The stitching is very solid and the material is very nice and soft to the touch. However I worry about durability, since it is much softer to the touch than my Joe Rocket or Corazzo. It does pick up more dog hair than my other jackets. For me in this area of the country, It will make a great spring and fall jacket.

The fit is for me is excellent. Very comfortable.

The Length is AWESOME! and I love it! It is at least a full 6 inches longer than my Joe Rocket, Corazzo and Harley Davidson jackets.

The sleeves have a elastic wind cuff. I love this feature as it keeps the wind from blowing up your sleeve.

The armor is in the standard areas, elbows, shoulder and very large back piece. it is also removable. This armor is much lighter, more flexible and less noticeable than my Joe Rocket or Corrazo jacket. It has a heavy foam type feel and I think this would probably distribute the impact better than some of the stiffer unyielding plastic armor in my other jackets. It also seemed thicker to me, but I might be wrong.

As you can see in the photos, the silver lining is very reflective and the belt is reversible as well, so this will add to you visibility.

The style is pure vintage. My BF loved the look as said, "I can see you keeping a Luger in one of the pockets". I said, "Being that I am a lady, I will be keeping lipstick in there instead." However this photo makes me look like a crabby nazi!

So I bought one. I am defiantly thinking of getting a Hologram jacket as well. Depending on how it wears when I ride. I will keep you updated.

gogojacket2small.jpg
Crabby Nazi Look. Is it me or does this jacket make me look like a bad ass?

armorsmall.jpg
Armor

handssmall.jpg
Elastic Wind Cuff

Banned

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:46 pm quote
Wow!
That coat is much nicer looking & more visible than I expected
Thanks for modeling it for us
GTS 300 super (white)
Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:47 pm quote
It looks great! My wife really wants the hologram too.

I'm wondering though if the lapels are going to be flapping up and against your face at speed.....
Molto Verboso
GTV
Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:04 pm quote
Belkwinith, It looks great on you and seems to fit you perfectly!

Do the sleeves ahve reflective material that cause the reflections in the first photo?

Also, do the stretchbands around the wrists actually go over your thmbs? is this tricky to get into?

Thx.
Miguel
Ossessionato
Midnight Blue MP3 400
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Ángeles sobre el Río Porciúncula
Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm quote
Definitely badass.

But in a good way.
The Host with the Toast
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:30 pm quote
It makes you look like a lady, very nice.
Ossessionato
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 pm quote
We were very disappointed that the jacket we checked out was held closed with just three buttons and a belt. The buttons seemed very loose and in an accident there is a distinct possibility that they would just pop off and the jacket would open.

What GoGo should have done is use a 'hidden' full length zipper (like every other moto jacket on the market) under the flap as the real method of closure, with the buttons and the belt being the cosmetic closure.

Bummer. Maybe V2.0...
Hooked
Vespa GTS 250ie, 2008 - Midnight Blue
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:52 pm quote
Nice review, but shouldn't this be in the review section??
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 pm quote
Thanks for the review! I've had my eye on GoGo Gear, and esp. the trench coats. Your photo is bad ass in the very best way.

I do also wonder about the buttons in terms of safety. Also, I wonder if the quality of the armor is a concern.

I'd also like to know if the lining is truly reflective, as it appears in your photos.

Go, Fashionista, go!

~Deborah
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 am quote
Belkwinith wrote:
Bee, the owner is a sweetie and a smart cookie.
I believe Chad is the owner not Bee. Bee just runs the place most of the time.

Chad is a really nice guy and also very knowledgeable. They run a very nice shop. I have been there several times.

and Belkwinith you do look like an angry Nazi but it works for you so go with it.
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200L Graphite Black
Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:49 am quote
Thanks for the review, Belkwinith!

I've been wanting one of these since they came out. It looks fantastic on you (I'm a bit larger, I hope it will look as well though). Be sure and post back on how you feel when you ride in it!
Ossessionato
Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 am quote
Good points!

The buttons may be an issue. Since I have not had the opportunity to ride in the jacket, I cannot say. The weather here has not been ideal, and i had a party I had to attend yesterday so I still have not ridden in it.

The collar does button up pretty tight. But a hidden zipper could have solved any possible button issues.

The buttons are loose, but I am pretty handy with a needle and thread. Most of my non-riding coats have popped buttons in the past, so it is no big deal for me to reinforce them myself.

I did not take a photo with the collar open. This shows much more of the reflective silver lining. It would have to be pretty warm here for me to be riding with it open.

The elastic cuffs are not hard to get into. it is pretty simple to find the thumb hole and just stretch them over your hands.

As for the armor, it seems substantial enough. I suppose I could pull out my Joe Rocket and Corazzo armor for a comparison.... But it seems like it would do the job.
Addicted
LX150
Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:14 am quote
This is the jacket I would really like to purchase. Any news on when we'll be able to order these and/or where?
Addicted
His - 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Hers - 2008 MP3 250
Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:21 am quote
My wife and I rode to SF Moto this weekend, met Arlene (the creator) and tried on some jackets. The were well constructed and fit her very well. You would not think that these are riding jackets by looking at them. The armor is very well hidden.

I too have the same concerns about the buttons, though. Seems like, if you came off the bike, the buttons would come right off and the jacket would open up leaving you unprotected. I'd prefer zippers, which is what the majority (all?) of the industry uses.

In the end, she decided to wait until the mesh jackets come out since we're starting to heat up here. Within a month or two, the winter jackets won't be used at all until next November.
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:27 am quote
Not to be a naysayer; but, you said the primary closure on a safety item is a row of loose buttons and a belt?
Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise"
Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:33 am quote
TechGuy wrote:
Not to be a naysayer; but, you said the primary closure on a safety item is a row of loose buttons and a belt?
I don't think you are being unreasonably so - to me at least that matters. I've got a Tucano Urbano coat which looks like it is button only, but its got a canny zip in it. Keeps you warm and a lot safer.

When I came off wearing the zip was useful and held as it should. The buttons came off and did less than nada.

No sale for me - shame as I like the shapes.
Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:10 am quote
GoGo Gear review in Chicago
Good morning everyone, Arlene here from GoGo Gear. A lot of comments about the jackets, thank you so much! Wanted to give you some feedback on the buttons. The buttons have extra reinforcement in the sewing. One of the issues with the fit for women is that no one jacket will fit all women. We are doing our best to accommodate the many different shapes and sizes that women come in. As a result, we have left a bit of "give" in the buttons because there are small differences in how the jacket will fit given the bust size and proportion of a woman. It's possible that the entire jacket can fit really well but be just a bit tight across the front, so having the little extra "give" in the bust area will allow for a perfect fit across the bust. We went around and around about the buttons but in the end decided we needed to allow for the extra length on the buttons to accommodate the bust area for women. Thanks so much for the comments. Keep them coming! PS - We're incorporating zippers in styles that are coming so stay tuned!!! Arlene
Ossessionato
Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 am quote
Regarding the whole button thing, it is are Arlene says, perhaps the buttons are looser on me because of my lack of "breastlicles". (It's true, I dont' mind saying it because I can still sleep on my stomach!) I am still going to tighten the buttons up for me.

As for not purchasing the jacket simply because of buttons, I ride using a button up jean jacket in summer. This jean jacket has never ripped open while riding at speeds of up to 50 mph and over.

The weather here is changing for the better and I will be riding into work, hopefully this week.

This will be the jackets true test for me, as I will be on city streets and highways, going up to 80mph. Then we shall see.

I don't mind being a guinea pig for safety and fashions sake. It is interesting. But I am not going to take a fall to test the armor! That is where I draw the line!
Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:50 am quote
GoGo Gear Review
Hi again! Arlene here! Definitely provide us with as much feedback as you can give us! We want and need the feedback to continue incorporating those features you feel you need, but it's really important to wear the jacket to give that feedback because as you can probably tell, looks are deceiving! The current style of jackets are quite warm due to the multiple layers of fabric AND they're windproof so definitely check out the feel in windy conditions to decide if you still want the zipper for the future. We have zippers going in several other styles that are coming out this year so for anyone who wants the zipper, those might be the jacket styles for you! As for the armor, it's very similar to the KNOX armor which is in several other very popular jacket brands. And make sure to unzip the vertical zipper in the lining so you can see the abrasion resistant fabric. It's the same fabric that is used for the outer shell of the Triumph Garreth jacket. On a seperate note, once the current styles are out of stock, we won't be offering them again. We want to keep the styles really fresh and provide lots of options so stay tuned for the additional styles that will be coming in to the stores throughout this year. The Hologram will be in the stores around mid April. The ventilated Cafe jacket which will come in black, red and linen white will be in more toward the late Spring, followed by the Racer jacket. In the fall, the Vintage coat and wool military coat are coming with zippers, water repellent treatment and zip out liner. And guys, we haven't forgotten you! We'll have your jackets ready by Fall! Keep the feedback coming everyone! Anything we can do to improve, let us know! Arlene
Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 am quote
Arlene, thanks a lot for weighing in-- have been following the GoGo tweets, and have been following this saga with a lot of anticipation!

I'm glad to hear about next fall's vintage and wool military coats that will have zips. Are sketches available? I do think that's a reasonable safety issue-- a discrete zip backing up buttons (like the Tucano Urbano mentioned by Wonder Machine) would add peace of mind. I *love* the look of your trench coats, BTW. And the wind cuffs are brilliant.

Thanks so much for all that you folks are doing for us!

p.s. Do you have a Portland, OR vendor yet?
GTS 300 super (white)
Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:37 am quote
Arlene,
Further to the question on Portland vendors, do you have anyone carrying your product up in Vancouver? If not, are they available by mail order?

Thanks!!
Banned

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:49 am quote
Re: GoGo Gear review in Chicago
GoGoGear wrote:
The buttons have extra reinforcement in the sewing. One of the issues with the fit for women is that no one jacket will fit all women. We are doing our best to accommodate the many different shapes and sizes that women come in. As a result, we have left a bit of "give" in the buttons because there are small differences in how the jacket will fit given the bust size and proportion of a woman.
This is interesting!
(Speaking as a non-model-shaped woman)

The riding jackets that fit me well all have tabs that tighten
& stretch materials in the vicinity of my curves
Buttons would give a better fit
and I could move them myself if they weren't in the perfect place

Hmmmm
Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:56 am quote
Re: GoGo Gear review in Chicago
TurtleGT wrote:
GoGoGear wrote:
The buttons have extra reinforcement in the sewing. One of the issues with the fit for women is that no one jacket will fit all women. We are doing our best to accommodate the many different shapes and sizes that women come in. As a result, we have left a bit of "give" in the buttons because there are small differences in how the jacket will fit given the bust size and proportion of a woman.
This is interesting!
(Speaking as a non-model-shaped woman)

The riding jackets that fit me well all have tabs that tighten
& stretch materials in the vicinity of my curves
Buttons would give a better fit
and I could move them myself if they weren't in the perfect place

Hmmmm
Also, GoGo Gear comes in numbered sizes, not just S, M, L, XL!
Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 am quote
GoGo Gear Review in Chicago
Hi everyone, Arlene again! Thanks a lot for your feedback! We looked at a lot of the Tucano Urbano products while we were in London and Italy and are incorporating a lot of the same features for our upcoming jacket styles. The wool Vintage and wool Military jackets can be seen on our website at www.scooter-girls.com in the photo gallery section. As we continue with the evolotion of the GoGo Gear, we'll continue incorporating as many features as possible. We have the "french cuffs" on our upcoming Cafe jacket which allows for adjustable sleeve lengths, then the zippers will be in the Fall offerings where the buttons will become more decorative than functional. Hopefully as people are wearing the jackets they can continue to give us feedback so we can make any adjustments that would be beneficial in the jackets. Again, we REALLY appreciate everyone's feedback, it's incredibly helpful! Thanks! Arlene PS re: Portland and Vancouver, closest dealer will be in Tacoma Washington for now. They should have their jackets within the next two weeks.
Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 am quote
My lady would have the Luger in one pocket and the lipstick in the other!

Jacket looks great. The flash of the camera really lights up the reflective tape.
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am quote
I hope to see some one have success in marketing gear for gals of all sizes and protecting their bits of all sizes. I am sure is a much larger challenge that most recognize. I recognize that the range of upper chest dimensions vary considerable more for the female rider than those of the male riders. I also value and enjoy the wide range

Keep up the good and safe work.
Addicted
His - 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT, Hers - 2008 MP3 250
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 am quote
Re: GoGo Gear Review
GoGoGear wrote:
As for the armor, it's very similar to the KNOX armor which is in several other very popular jacket brands. And make sure to unzip the vertical zipper in the lining so you can see the abrasion resistant fabric. It's the same fabric that is used for the outer shell of the Triumph Garreth jacket.
I can attest to the quality of the armor--especially the spine protection. It makes the stuff in my Frank Thomas jacket seem like a thin sheet of cardboard. No issues with the fabric either. They have cleverly hidden very good abrasion resistant fabric under more fashionable (and comfortable) fabric.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 pm quote
A Hawt bad ass.
Ossessionato
Silver Scarabeo 500ie
Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm quote
Excellent looking line of gear. Love the wind cuff feature! Thanks for modeling the jacket.
Molto Verboso
2007 GT200L Graphite Black
Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:10 pm quote
I'm sad I have to wait until for Fall for the Vintage, but I'm glad it will have the zipper! It will be well worth the wait. Thanks for letting us know!
Lurker
Sym Symba
Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:41 am quote
Go Go Gear Trench
Bee from ACE Here(I am one of the ACE owners, I'm married to Chad)
Big thanks to all the gals who came out to try on the Go Go Gear!
I really feel this brand fills in the blank for many of my women riders (both Scoot and MC). I'll attach a couple more images from different sized gals for you to see.

I think Erika is a good case for the Go Go Gear:
She's been an ACE customer for a couple of years
Has two Honda CB350s (but might be trading to a Symba)
Wears a very high end Arai Full Face
...but until Saturday, never wore a protective jacket!

She occasionally would find a jacket in her size, but had never purchased one since she hates: "bespangled crap, glitter, skulls, roses, sequins, and fringe!"
I'm pretty dang happy to get her into a jacket, since she's my sister!

011 - Copy.JPG
Erika in the sz. 18 Black Trench

012 - Copy.JPG
That's a bright Belt!

017 - Copy.JPG
Alita & her friend -currently Scooter Owners, both heading to MC School next week.

Ossessionato
Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 am quote
Nice shots Bee!

It is good to know that a company can make a stylish, armored jacket that can comfortably fit so many different sized women.

Even tho I am skinny, it is hard for me to find the right fitting riding gear as well. GoGo gear sizes really give you lots of options.

Maybe the men could care less about this, but let me tell you, as a lady rider, finding a jacket that fits, and has style and function, that is pretty good acheivement.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:08 am quote
Oh we care Belkwinith. Showed this post to my wife and she loved it. And she doesn't even ride. Wait, maybe that was a mistake...she already wants harley after ride boots.
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:02 pm quote
Quick update after riding in the jacket after work today.

Went riding for about 45 minutes, 56 degrees temp., speeds up to 65 mph.

I have to say, it is pretty great. I wear a padded vest underneath and a Harley Davidson ladies neck tube, this, plus the jacket kept me quite warm.

Nothing was loose or flapped about. Once buttoned up, it it is sealed tight.

The length of the jacket really helps to keep you warm. Wind does not get up around your waist. No wind goes up the sleeves due to the elastic wind cuffs.

It is also very comfortable.

So honestly, it looks great, fits great, and performs great. After that, what else can you say?
Ossessionato
Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:11 pm quote
Belkwinith wrote:
So honestly, it looks great, fits great, and performs great. After that, what else can you say?
Wish it came with a zipper for safety. Like every other moto jacket on the market.
Lurker

Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 pm quote
I don't care how nice these look. I wouldnt go near these coats until I know the buttons and fabric can stand up in a crash and right now I am not convinced.
Molto Verboso
'09 MANA 850 &'07 GT200 & 2012 Bonneville SE
Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:14 pm quote
Great post, pics and review. It's always great to get info on new protective gear. Sweet!
Addicted
2006 LX150, 2009 250, '80 P200, '80 PX200
Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm quote
I've been waiting for these jackets for months, and thanks Go Go for sending me an email about 2 wks ago. I have just been super busy at school. My hubby saw the reviews and grabbed me to see them. I am glad there is something for those of us who don't throw fashion out the window when we hop on the scoot. I love my corazzo, but these are so cool. I wanted a dressy jacket too and these will fit the bill for a night out. (By the way, I ride in boots and keep the cute shoes under the seat for arrival).
Hooked
'84 PX125E ^..^
Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 pm quote
safteycoats wrote:
I don't care how nice these look. I wouldnt go near these coats until I know the buttons and fabric can stand up in a crash and right now I am not convinced.
what company do you work for?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'12 Genuine Buddy 170i TARDIS
Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm quote
Re: GoGo Gear Review
GoGoGear wrote:
The ventilated Cafe jacket which will come in black, red and linen white will be in more toward the late Spring, followed by the Racer jacket.
Now this is encouraging.

Corazzo let me down... I was really anticipating their mesh jacket. I was all excited that since the 5.0 fits me pretty well, and comes in a lot of colors, the Ventata might be a good option for me. Black or silver. Blagh. Everything comes in black or silver. And I was given the impression that there would be distinct mens and womens sizes, not unisex.

I swear if I ever find a good, interesting mesh armored riding jacket that actually fits me, I'll throw a freaking party.
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.2920s ][ Queries: 34 (0.0982s) ][ Debug on ]