Believe or not...
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Author Message
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 102
Location: Croatia, Europe
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:16 pm quote
About two weeks ago I've write post about problem with new clutch that doesn't switch to neutral when needed. First 10 kilometers was perfect and than suddenly on every stop engine switches off.
Major suspect was new clutch but to everyone's surprise he wasn't troublemaker.

On diagnostics system reported various errors, most of them caused by bad wiring but nothing specific. So after detailed inspection and with cooperation with Piaggio experts they finally detected and confirmed problem - latest firmware update. After system reset scooter works fine while in "learning" mode first 5-10 kilometers but whet it switches to full mode ECU doesn't perform how it should. Interestingly, when they replaced spark original NGK Spark plugs with Champion models engine switching off about 50% less but still doesn't work how it should or before update.

Luckily, Piaggo is aware about that strange behavior that affects some ECU's and new version will be available within few days.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 5278
Location: Austin, TX
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 pm quote
Re: Believe or not...
Andrej wrote:
About two weeks ago I've write post about problem with new clutch that doesn't switch to neutral when needed. First 10 kilometers was perfect and than suddenly on every stop engine switches off.
Major suspect was new clutch but to everyone's surprise he wasn't troublemaker.

On diagnostics system reported various errors, most of them caused by bad wiring but nothing specific. So after detailed inspection and with cooperation with Piaggio experts they finally detected and confirmed problem - latest firmware update. After system reset scooter works fine while in "learning" mode first 5-10 kilometers but whet it switches to full mode ECU doesn't perform how it should. Interestingly, when they replaced spark original NGK Spark plugs with Champion models engine switching off about 50% less but still doesn't work how it should or before update.

Luckily, Piaggo is aware about that strange behavior that affects some ECU's and new version will be available within few days.
Interesting - especially in light of Toyota's woes. So what your saying is there's a new ECU update? I'll see if the tech at Vespa knows if so...
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 102
Location: Croatia, Europe
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 pm quote
Re: Believe or not...
Quote:
Interesting - especially in light of Toyota's woes. So what your saying is there's a new ECU update? I'll see if the tech at Vespa knows if so...
There are few unclear moments about ECU on my Fuoco, but it's very likely that nobody made any update before until this service.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Posts: 5278
Location: Austin, TX
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 pm quote
Re: Believe or not...
Andrej wrote:
Quote:
Interesting - especially in light of Toyota's woes. So what your saying is there's a new ECU update? I'll see if the tech at Vespa knows if so...
There are few unclear moments about ECU on my Fuoco, but it's very likely that nobody made any update before until this service.
Sorry - what I meant was that in 2 years I have been told there have been no updates to the ECU. I understood you as saying that one is now available and it trashed your scooter - AND that Piaggio will have a revision to this update as soon as they figure the problem. An ECU update would be news.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 102
Location: Croatia, Europe
Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:35 pm quote
Re: Believe or not...
BubbaJon wrote:
Sorry - what I meant was that in 2 years I have been told there have been no updates to the ECU. I understood you as saying that one is now available and it trashed your scooter - AND that Piaggio will have a revision to this update as soon as they figure the problem. An ECU update would be news.
Yes, I can confirm that there was new update available for European models but it will be wise move to wait few more days - I will report any news or progress

On the other hand it is fine for me since they now have enough time to fix lock alerts (detected as stuck micro-switch on control cable) and to inspect or replace bearings
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21345
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:16 pm quote
Re: Believe or not...
Andrej wrote:
About two weeks ago I've write post about problem with new clutch that doesn't switch to neutral when needed. First 10 kilometers was perfect and than suddenly on every stop engine switches off.
Major suspect was new clutch but to everyone's surprise he wasn't troublemaker.

On diagnostics system reported various errors, most of them caused by bad wiring but nothing specific. So after detailed inspection and with cooperation with Piaggio experts they finally detected and confirmed problem - latest firmware update. After system reset scooter works fine while in "learning" mode first 5-10 kilometers but whet it switches to full mode ECU doesn't perform how it should. Interestingly, when they replaced spark original NGK Spark plugs with Champion models engine switching off about 50% less but still doesn't work how it should or before update.

Luckily, Piaggo is aware about that strange behavior that affects some ECU's and new version will be available within few days.
go back to the NGK plugs they are much better than those junkions. Why do they use NGK from the factory and not Champions? They last and perform better.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco 500
Joined: 25 Oct 2008
Posts: 102
Location: Croatia, Europe
Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:09 am quote
Re: Believe or not...
Quote:
go back to the NGK plugs they are much better than those junkions. Why do they use NGK from the factory and not Champions? They last and perform better.
They just follow factory recommendation in effort to resolve this weird ECU update problem.

Second week and they still don't have solution for my bricked ECU
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.3339s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0933s) ][ Debug on ]