Extra Fuel
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 Super - red, of course and a 1981 Vespa 50 Special Malossified to 136
Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:33 am quote
Is there the same problem filling these bottles as we get filling our tanks? I.e. the Mt Vesuvius effect?

I guess pump slow and watch the meter helps.
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:43 am quote
I pump the gas into a plastic gas can because it's easier to control the fill. When I get home, then I carefully pour the gasoline into the fuel bottles.

This works for me because I try not to use the bottles on the road except as a last resort. I've come close...sometimes really close , to having to use them, but to date I've always returned home with the bottles full.
Addicted
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Heavy)
Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:01 pm quote
Available in plastic and aluminum!
Stainless Steel Straps.

Tank over Tank.

Fuel Guage fully functional.

No need to "unload" the Luggage on the Seat.

Gravity and Vacuum at their best.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

GT-200 Mounting Posts.jpg

GT-200 Support and Brace.jpg

GT-200 Reassembled and just washed.jpg

Addicted
Red GTS250
Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:01 pm quote

I carry all of my emergency supplies on the front rack.

Saved my but when I was returning from Detroit last year. There was no gas at the stations when entering Canada at Windsor for over 300 Km.
Molto Verboso
'09 BV250, '02 ET2 '07 LX150
Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:10 pm quote
Re: Available in plastic and aluminum!
Mike Lynch wrote:
Stainless Steel Straps.
Tank over Tank.
Fuel Guage fully functional.
No need to "unload" the Luggage on the Seat.
Gravity and Vacuum at their best.
Best regards,
Mike Lynch
So where and or how, does one acquire these items? I've never seen the tank before. The mount appears to be for a fire extinguisher? Just guessing here. And what is the black ring under the carrier?

I like the idea of having it in plain sight and readily accessible. My top box and pet carrier are already full....and on a silver scoot, the red bottles under the top box are really noticable!
Ossessionato
1980 Vespa P200e, 2002 Vespa ET4, 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:23 pm quote
I like that plumbed in tank. No need to stop and reload your fuel tank if it's plumbed right in.

Back in the late 60's / early 70's there was a guy who built harley-davidson choppers named Dick Allen. He brought such inovation to harleys as disc brakes and belt drive primary and secondary (standard equipment now for 30+ years). Dick was a real innovator. He was known for jumping on his bike and riding a 1000 miles without stopping except for fuel and food (not a common task in those days). Here is a photo of him sitting on his knucklehead chopper back in the day. Notice he has an auxiliary fuel tank on the sissybar made out of a pony keg. The desire to carry extra fuel has been around a long time.

-Craig

Addicted
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 am quote
I purchased the required parts from:
The Tank and Tank plumbing fixtures from -

http://www.tourtank.com/

Please note that when I mounted my Auxilary Tank, the Plastic version did NOT come with an "offset" Filler Spout as an option. If I were to do it today, I would get the "offset" Filler Spout as the position of the center spout, slightly obscures the bottom illumination from the Headlight. With the "offset" Fuel Spout, all is good!

The Tank Support from -

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=100387751&navFlow=3&keyword=5e10ftsnckl&langId=-1&searchRedirect=5e10ftsnckl&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%40715a35cc&ddkey=Search

The remainder of the Parts to include the Hose ("Black Ring under the Carrier") going from the External Tank to the Internal Tank were purchased at Lowes as they had a better selection of "stuff" to include the Stainless Steel Bolts, Nuts, Washers and Straps.

The Horizontal Bar that is attached to the Support System is made out of an Aluminum Bar, cut in half to double it up, then wrapped in wide black plastic Electrical Tape to eliminate vibration and to blend in with the Tanks color as well as the Support Bracket. If you use an Aluminum Tank instead of the Black Plastic, two rubber washers placed between the Bar Halves should eliminate any vibration and then you would not need / want to wrap the Bars in Electrical Tape.

I used the Fuel Overflow Tap located at the Underseat Fuel Filler location to plumb the System in. Do not use a Vented Fuel Cap at this location or drill any holes in your existing Fuel Cap. Doing so will defeat the Gravity / Vacuum effect.

Best regards and good luck,

Mike Lynch
Addicted
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am quote
BUMP - for scootmom and caschnd1
Best regards,

Mike Lynch
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. ?? - 300 GTS Titanium
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 am quote
not necro-posting
but have a question for those who use the hose clamps -- are those better than using arno straps? i've got the arno straps - but since in these fuel bottle threads I hadn't seen mention of them, thought perhaps there might be a reason.
Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Dragon Red
Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:18 pm quote
Re: not necro-posting
KimPossible wrote:
arno straps?...
OK, Kim, you've piqued my curiosity. I never heard of arno straps before. I Googled "arno straps," but I'm still not sure how they work. Could you show a picture of how you are using them and maybe how they function?
I'm keeping my MSR bottle in the pet carrier and would love to free up some space.
Hooked
Bo - midnight blue GT200 R.I.P. ?? - 300 GTS Titanium
Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:38 pm quote
patent pending
Arno straps are just a strap with a metal nonslip buckle. It's got little teeth that bite into the strap. I'm planning on carrying them under my topcase like teacherquinn and JLB show earlier in this thread.

Hose clamps are cheap, but I already have arno straps, so just wondered if there was a reason not to use them.

(i think arno straps are old school, before all the plastic sliders and toggles we have now. i still tend to trust the 'non-slip' claims of them better than the plastic)
Ossessionato

Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:04 pm quote
I've used something similar for securing compressed gas tanks on wall brackets. I'd be concerned that they would loosen up due to vibration while riding. IF given a choice I'd stay with hose clamps- even if they're a pain to use.
Hooked
'09 Black MP3 500, '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:14 pm quote
This is most likely a dumb question, but risking that, here goes...

Are the MSR fuel bottles the same as the aluminum "water" bottles that are readily available at most sports stores? I have checked Sports Authority and Academy Sports online and they are not available from them. REI now states that they cannot ship due to federal regulations and there are no stores locally that carry them.

Would there be a problem using an aluminum water bottle in terms of reactivity to the fuel?
Banned
MP3 500
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:17 pm quote
PianoManLA wrote:
This is most likely a dumb question, but risking that, here goes...

Are the MSR fuel bottles the same as the aluminum "water" bottles that are readily available at most sports stores? I have checked Sports Authority and Academy Sports online and they are not available from them. REI now states that they cannot ship due to federal regulations and there are no stores locally that carry them.

Would there be a problem using an aluminum water bottle in terms of reactivity to the fuel?
No, water bottles are not the same. Go to a camping store and get Coleman a fuel container.
dicks Sporting Goods
3301 Veterans Memorial Boulevard #130
Metairie, LA 70002
Any place that sells sporting goods will have Coleman Stove Fuel containers, have a Wal Mart near you?

Last edited by StooterBoy on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:20 pm quote
I use these to clamp fuel bottles to my racks. Quick and easy to attach and undo without tools:

They're made for RV sewage hoses. I get a pair of them at Pep Boys for about $6.
Hooked
'09 Black MP3 500, '09 Orione Grey MP3 400ie
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm quote
The only thing that seems to be available locally at this time is coleman propane containers. I did not check, but they appeared to be "pre-filled" and not like an empty bottle that I could put gas in. Maybe I will check again to see if there is an open box that can unscrew the cap to double check.
Banned
MP3 500
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm quote
PianoManLA wrote:
The only thing that seems to be available locally at this time is coleman propane containers. I did not check, but they appeared to be "pre-filled" and not like an empty bottle that I could put gas in. Maybe I will check again to see if there is an open box that can unscrew the cap to double check.
They should sell Coleman Liquid Stove Fuel Containers, I just saw them at Wal-Mart the other day.Find a store the is more into back packing and they will have them.
Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Dragon Red
Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:31 pm quote
PianoManLA wrote:
You can still buy them from Amazon for $14.95-$19.95, depending on size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015I0GE6
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:52 am quote
I use the hose clamps which need a screwdirver to loosen the closure (I keep a tool in the glove box).

I thought about getting the quick/easy release kind, but I figured if it is easy for me to release... it will be easy for some @sshole to release as well.

Here's my set-up (allows the rack to be up or down):

MV Fuel Bottle.jpg

Ossessionato
GTS250, 1960 VBA, P200E side car
Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 am quote
An aluminum water bottle would work OK but maybe not the plug It's illegal to carry gasoline in a non approved container (and probably not a good idea). Also the bottle can be rattle can painted to the aproximate the color of the scoot.
The Host with the Toast
Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 am quote
I hear that someone is working on a GTS long range tank made just for the Vespa GTS line of scooters with 2+ gallons of fuel. and it will be a top notch product.
Addicted
Honda Silverwing 600
Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am quote
The SIG water-bottles are made of VERY thin aluminum; the corresponding fuel bottles are much thicker-walled and a good bit heavier.

I know because I own one of each.
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
An aluminum water bottle would work OK but maybe not the plug It's illegal to carry gasoline in a non approved container (and probably not a good idea).
+1

I'm sure the aluminum bottle itself wouldn't be affected the gasoline, but I'm not sure the gasoline wouldn't compromise the integrity of the plastic cap.
And...
Yes, you also don't want to carry fuel in a container that is not specifically designed for that purpose because of the law.

The main warning on carrying fuel in these little containers is to be careful when you open them...especially when they've warmed up a bit. Open them slowly and keep it away from your eyes. The expanded gasoline will tend to spray out in a vapor if you're not careful. Not fun.
The force of the spray would be even more severe if the canister were carried in a hot pet carrier.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:49 pm quote
I believe the water bottles also have a thin clear plastic lining.
The Host with the Toast
Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:53 pm quote
I have a MSR bottle and it is thicker then the water kind we own, as for running out of gas I have never had a problem. I carry it just incase someone on our rides runs out.
Resident Grump

Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm quote
Silver Streak wrote:
I believe the water bottles also have a thin clear plastic lining.
Wiki desscibes the differences and issues better than I can.... Since gas is a solvent I would be concerned with it's effect on the lining. Also, putting fuel into a drinking bottle is a formula for disaster, not to mention illegal. Use bottles identified as fuel for petrol only. Potable fluids in their designated containers. I have MSR(Sigg) bottles that are more than 25 years old. I've only had to replace O rings.

Interchangeability

All SIGG bottles use the same diameter head and thread system, which results in interchangeability of bottles and caps. Different cap styles exist, such as a normal screw on cap with loop, caps with glow-in-the-dark markers, sports-bottle caps and caps with added protection from dust.

A SIGG Bottle
[edit]Advantages and disadvantages

Aluminum bottles are resistant to shocks and deformations, are lightweight, and protect the contents from light. The interior coating is flexible and is unlikely to break or crack during deformations. SIGG bottles have been determined by Backpacker magazine to be the "world's toughest water bottle" when they fired golf balls at the water bottles with a 100 pound cannon.[5] The bottle with its internal liner and secure cap allow for carbonated beverages to be transported secure and freshly.[6]
The disadvantage of thin aluminum is that it does not offer much insulation, which means that condensation can build on the outside of the bottle when cold drinks are transported, and hot drinks will result in a bottle which cannot be comfortably touched. SIGG sells insulating sleeves that protect the bottle from dents, help insulate the beverages inside them and eliminate the condensation issue.[7] The limited size of the opening also makes it difficult to fill or clean the bottle or to use it for purposes other than drinking, though SIGG now makes wide-mouth bottles, and adapters that allow the use of the standard-size caps. Aluminum bottles are also more prone to dents than stainless steel bottles.[8]
Evaluating the merits of the bottle liner is difficult, because SIGG refuses to disclose the composition of that lining, claiming that it is a proprietary secret. Some concern exists that the bottles leak bisphenol A (BPA) in amounts too small to measure, but are still endocrine disrupting.[9] Some of the listed liner materials are what the company refers to as "water based, non-toxic polymers" which is generically vague.[10] However, all SIGG bottles manufactured after August 2008 use the "EcoCare" liner, which is guaranteed to contain no BPA. The previous liner contained trace amounts of BPA, but was shown through many experiments not to leak it; because of proprietary issues, the company could not reveal whether the liner actually contained BPA. To ensure public satisfaction, they proceeded to create a liner that was completely absent of BPA. [11]
Another disadvantage is that the bottles are unsuitable for use below freezing temperatures, as having liquid inside the bottle at such temperatures will cause it to crack.[12]
Hooked
gts 250ie
Sun May 13, 2012 12:30 pm quote
FYI, Outdoor Outlet has 20oz MSR bottles on sale right now for $12.99!
Sun May 13, 2012 2:30 pm quote
That's a damn good price. I think I bought mine back before this topic was first started for about that much, but the price really leaped soon after that.

They're not old stock, either: They have the newer safety cap.
Addicted
lx150
Sun May 13, 2012 3:40 pm quote
Another benefit I found to carrying a gas bottle attached to the rear rack... tailgaters back off when they see that bottle!!!!

I also put additives in the bottle for alcohol and storage as I don't know when I'll use it and will not be in any hurry to do so.

Go to a bicycle shop and purchase a cable with loops in each end. They are used to paddle lock the seat and seat post to the frame; mine is about 12"-15".

I loop it around the chin bar of my full face helmet my passenger hand rail and the gas bottle top. Works great!
Molto Verboso
'09 GTS 250 ie
Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 pm quote
Touratech USA has several ready made fuel bottle/cans with brackets made especially for your application. I've attached a link directly to their website with the items listed. I think you could mount these to a top case or the front of your scoot. No screw driver needed.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/2019/Bottle-Accessory-Holders
Enthusiast
Yamaha XVS1100a
Sun May 13, 2012 7:23 pm quote
ever thought about 90mm pvc tube ( plumbers pipe )
glue an end cap at one end
and a screw cap at the other
mount horrizontal or verticle
easy to get at
reasonably secure
place fuel bottle inside
Mark

Last edited by Mark II on Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
'09 GTS 250 ie
Sun May 13, 2012 7:40 pm quote
[quote="camper"]Another benefit I found to carrying a gas bottle attached to the rear rack... tailgaters back off when they see that bottle!!!!

I suppose many of them remember the Ford Pinto?
Enthusiast
2013 Piaggio BV350
Sun May 13, 2012 7:45 pm quote
I've ridden motorcycles on hot days where the heat of the engine is boiling the gas in the plastic tank. The metal fuel bottles are fine. Lots of folks use them all over the world out in the hot sun.

Another option, if you need a bit more, is Rotopax. Their 1 gallon container is pretty small and has lots of mounting options. Not expensive. I use them on my motorbike when making long trips to areas w/o gas. As soon as I've consumed enough fuel from the bike's fuel tank (1 or 2 gallons) I just stop and add the Rotopax's fuel to the tank itself.

Link: http://www.rotopax.com/

I live in Colorado where 125-150 may not always be enough. I'll likely add 1-2 litre metal fuel bottles under the seat and won't worry.

Tom
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250; 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Mon May 14, 2012 7:52 am quote
I like to save space under my sit for my camera gear so I have 2 bottles attached to the back on my scooter. I ride with them everyday for 2 years in all weather and its great so far. Great to have that peace of mind that I'm not going to be stuck somewhere without gas. I think it looks pretty good too

Addicted
Scooter free for the moment
Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 am quote
sergeibelski wrote:
I like to save space under my sit for my camera gear so I have 2 bottles attached to the back on my scooter. I ride with them everyday for 2 years in all weather and its great so far. Great to have that peace of mind that I'm not going to be stuck somewhere without gas. I think it looks pretty good too
The way they are mounted, they could pass for little JATO bottles.
Ossessionato
2006 GT 200L "lo cara"
Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 am quote
Mark II wrote:
easy to get at
reasonably secure
place fuel bottle inside
Mark
absotutely NOT...gasoline/petrol is a solvent...solvents melt certain types of plastic...you do NOT want to even entertain this idea.
Hooked
gts 250ie
Mon May 14, 2012 8:09 am quote
sergeibelski - they look great, i might just get a second bottle for the heck of it! 2 years? you change out the fuel or add stabilizer?
Hooked
2009 Vespa GTS 250; 2010 Vespa GTS 300 Super
Mon May 14, 2012 8:14 am quote
Once in a while I would add fuel from bottles to my tank and put new gas in my bottles. Seems to be working good
Petty Tyrant
GT200 GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon May 14, 2012 8:16 am quote
Whenever I have an MSR bottle of fuel that's been around for a couple months, I dump it in my truck instead of the scooter. Whatever staleness is in that sub-1L bottle is very much mitigated by the 21 gallons of fresh gas in the truck.
Hooked
Piaggio X9 500, 1974 Rally 200
Mon May 14, 2012 8:17 am quote
richardsan wrote:
Mark II wrote:
easy to get at
reasonably secure
place fuel bottle inside
Mark
absotutely NOT...gasoline/petrol is a solvent...solvents melt certain types of plastic...you do NOT want to even entertain this idea.
He said to put the bottle inside the PVC not put the gas directly in the PVC.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2643s ][ Queries: 32 (0.1630s) ][ Debug on ]