My ride around West Mountain, Utah
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
2006 Vespa 250ie
Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:33 pm quote
I have always wanted to ride my scooter around West Mountain. I am glad I did, it was brisk, about 40 F, the winds were light but the contrast in colors were fun. Plus I only passed about five cars, so I felt like I was alone and seeing landscape no one else did.

I made a loop from my home in Payson around West Mountain. If you remember the movie Footloose It has been a long time since they filmed that and the road is now paved. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087277/ (1984), about 100 yards from my home they filmed the scene where Kevin Bacon was pulled over by an officer on a motorcycle in his VW for having his music on. Recently this road has been in the news a lot because Actor Gary Coleman lives nearby and he tends to spend a lot of time in courthouse across the street from here.

About five miles later on the ride, I drove on the road, surrounded by miles of Cherry Trees. This was also part of Footloose--in the movie they had a game of chicken driving two tractors Kevin Bacon didn't know how to stop and his shoe lace was stuck so he couldn't jump off. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2HNfLLRQ0 The other driver drove his tractor into a canal that is on the left side of the road. That canal is a natural spring and has water running all year long, hence the cherry orchards. I then rode through the city of Genola, which is full of miles of farm land and beautiful homes. I turned off Mainstreet to Lake Road took a few photos on Lake road (see below) then drove to Lincoln Beach.

On a few of the photos there is a cliff that is about 300 feet high. I was about 15-20 feet from the edge of the cliff when I took the photos. Below are fields right next to the lake shore where cattle are grazing.

I then headed back home. Short ride but fun.

2010_04_02_001.jpg
This is on the South side of Utah Lake looking East at Elberta, thousands of people in Utah County live close to here but have never been here before. About mid way on the photo is the edge of a cliff.

2010_04_02_002.jpg
Had to throw a shot of my GTS 250ie's Dash in there for fun. About 15 feet away from the front of my scooter is about a 275 foot drop where a field and Utah Lake is below. Not the best pictures but I am using my iPhone.

2010_04_02_003.jpg
It snowed about four inches this morning. Most of it melted by about 9 a.m. though. Like an idiot, I left my scoot outside and it looked....er....."flocked up". I spent a bit taking large snowballs of snow off the seat, dash and foot rests.

2010_04_02_004.jpg
This is about four miles North East of Lincoln Beach on the south side of Utah Lake. The dots are duck hunting type boats fishing. Good day for fishing, perhaps. Across the lake is where Brigham's Bee's took a nice ride yesterday, from Orem to Provo.

Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 pm quote
Very cool ride. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
2008 Portofino Green GTVie
Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:31 pm quote
As a footloose enthusiast, and a carson enthusiast, I am very pleased with this ride report.

I am jealous of all of the cool places you can ride on you GTS on brand new highway roads where the traffic is scarce.

Very different considering my daily commute consists of minivans and suburbia.

Hope to ride down there again soon!

-Nic
2006 Vespa 250ie
Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:47 am quote
Thank you...
1drunkparrot wrote:
Very cool ride. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Your too kind. I need to do some cool videos sometime then I can be an HONORARY parriot or something.....

I am dieing to ask. What are the rides across the states like? In Utah, the interstate rides would be like being a sucide bomber, with an big emphasis on the sucide part! I see the nifty icons that blar the song, "I've been everywhere man...." I have to admit, I am a tad jealous.

Any tips on transatlantic trips (ok, interstate then) for the novice?
PX150; smallframe 90 (project)
Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:16 pm quote
Carson, thanks for posting your ride.

I am new to Utah, I will have to add this area to my list of places to explore this summer.

Happy Scooting, Terri
Banned

Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:36 pm quote
Things sure look different in Utah!

Thanks for posting about your trip
2006 Vespa 250ie
Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:49 pm quote
TurtleGT wrote:
Things sure look different in Utah!

Thanks for posting about your trip
No doubt, you would think there would be millions of polygamist women or something eh?? HA!!

Utah is very, very diverse, however. In the next few months I am going to try and get a bunch of different looking photos. From my home, I can ride 15 miles and be in a large national forest with beautiful trees, or I can ride about 15 miles and be at a lake. About an hour south the landscape is a desert with red sand, yet an hour to the west is a white sanded desert. I guess that is one of the reasons they film so many movies in this state.....

But to me, SC is really diverse and interesting, I really enjoy seeing the different landscapes across the country and the globe.

-Carson-
Banned

Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:51 pm quote
carson wrote:
Utah is very, very diverse, however. In the next few months I am going to try and get a bunch of different looking photos. From my home, I can ride 15 miles and be in a large national forest with beautiful trees, or I can ride about 15 miles and be at a lake. About an hour south the landscape is a desert with red sand, yet an hour to the west is a white sanded desert. I guess that is one of the reasons they film so many movies in this state.....

But to me, SC is really diverse and interesting, I really enjoy seeing the different landscapes across the country and the globe.

-Carson-
Yes, I've been to Utah & there's a lot of spectacular country there

SC also has a lot of diversity, but seems quite unlike Utah
(although we're new here)

In any event, I'm looking forward to more of your pictures
2006 Vespa 250ie
Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:17 pm quote
Quote:
SC also has a lot of diversity, but seems quite unlike Utah
(although we're new here)

In any event, I'm looking forward to more of your pictures
Linda,

I am pleased you enjoy them. It looks like we both ride the same black GTS250. I plan on making a few photogenic trips and I really own a decent camera for it. Sorry for the iPhone stuff. It does an ok job but isn't nearly as inspiring as a decent SLR today.

Having never been to SC, I would love photos of anything you deem interesting.

Take care,

BTW, I did ride in a very cold rain today... I thought it was fun, but sort of like a brain freeze!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.2552s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0497s) ][ Debug on ]