@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Anybody else with an LX that has squeaky brakes? I'm not talking about the standard cricket / whir sound as the vent holes pass the pads, but an actual squeal / squeak of the brakes whenever applied.

My wife's LX150 seems to have this issue, just wondering what the usual remedies were.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Cleaning the pad.
Squeal Shims
Anti Squeal "stuff" to the back side of the pad (the caliper surface, not frictional stoping surface).
@steve avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan

Ossessionato
@steve avatar
'06 Vespa LX150, '07 Suzuki Burgman 400, '05 Honda Metropolitan
UTC quote
Yep, mine does too. Not at light brake pressure, not hard pressure, just at the pressure I usually use...

I just ignore it and use more rear brake.
@zipmon avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)

Enthusiast
@zipmon avatar
2006 LX50 (Florida), 2007 LX125 (Italy)
UTC quote
Smorris wrote:
Yep, mine does too. Not at light brake pressure, not hard pressure, just at the pressure I usually use...

I just ignore it and use more rear brake.
same with my 50.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
UTC quote
This happens to a lot of LX and ET's. I have ignored it on my own scooter or if it bothers you that much take out the brake pads and sand the edges down a little. When your brakes start grinding that's when you should start to worry . Front brake pads tend to ware out about every 2500 miles, so check them around then.

Happy scootering
Sean
@michaelsvespa avatar
UTC

Hooked
gts 250

Hooked
@michaelsvespa avatar
gts 250
UTC quote
brake squeak
normal, but not as bad in cold weather, go figure
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the replies, guys. I gotta do something soon, it's really ear-splitting. I pulled up next to her as she stopped today and it was genuinely painful.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
All good info here. With my motorcycles, I've found the only permanent remedy that worked for me, was to replace the pads with new ones.
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
I'm by no means a brake expert, but I am a machinist, specifically grinding. When a workpiece starts squealing, it's time to dress the grinding wheel because it's 'loaded up'. Could this same phenomenon be happening to the pads?
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
I'm by no means a brake expert, but I am a machinist, specifically grinding. When a workpiece starts squealing, it's time to dress the grinding wheel because it's 'loaded up'. Could this same phenomenon be happening to the pads?
You'll have to be more specific for the non-machinists (like me). What's involved in dressing the grinding wheel?
@snowbum avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa LX150 (Diamondwhite baby!) 2003 suzuki Savage 650 (Thumper)

Addicted
@snowbum avatar
Vespa LX150 (Diamondwhite baby!) 2003 suzuki Savage 650 (Thumper)
UTC quote
brakes squeeling, man thats a bummer, my LX does not squeel, but now I wonder if it is to come since everyone says its normal on these scoots? Let us know what u end up doing to curb the squeel
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
mongoose wrote:
You'll have to be more specific for the non-machinists (like me). What's involved in dressing the grinding wheel?
Doh! Sorry for not 'splainin' myself. Dressing a grinding wheel is a method of running a diamond across the surface, typically following a cam to keep it true. The diamond cuts a small amount off of the face of the wheel, giving it a fresh surface.

Take the brake pads out and lay a sheet of emery on a flat surface, like plate glass*, and slide the pad over it a few times with light pressure. Scuff 'em just enough to remove the glossy shine and make the surface fuzzy again. Be sure to spray them off with brake parts cleaner before reinstalling them. Braking should improve, too.

* Not a galss plate, mind you. SWMBO would be pissed, not to mention a glass plate isn't very flat.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mongoose wrote:
Take the brake pads out and lay a sheet of emery on a flat surface, like plate glass*, and slide the pad over it a few times with light pressure. Scuff 'em just enough to remove the glossy shine and make the surface fuzzy again. Be sure to spray them off with brake parts cleaner before reinstalling them. Braking should improve, too.
Ah! Okay. Makes total sense now. The goal, then, is to get a fresh surface on the brake pads AND make sure it's a straight & level surface. Correct?
@grind avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@grind avatar
UTC quote
Bingo! 8)
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0736s ][ Queries: 17 (0.0466s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]