Tampa Vespa closing
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Hooked
2005 GT 200
Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:28 am quote
In a effort to support local dealers, something I strongly support. I walked into Tampa Vespa just two hour ago, to an empty showroom and store. The owner was hanging it up. He was cleaning the store . The economy the last two years and competition were just too much.

So we lose another dealer, It's two hours to Orlando the next closest Vespa dealer for Service. It was a sad moment for me.
Foiled
Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 am quote
Or, you could go to the Clearwater store....

http://www.vespaclearwater.com/newvespa.html
Addicted
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (Heavy)
Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:27 pm quote
Or you could go to:

http://www.barneysbrandon.com

Located just a mile outside Tampa on Route 60.

Neither the Clearwater Vespa Store nor Barney's are the Vespa Boutique style.

Piaggio got the Boutique Dealers money and cashed in on them twice.

Once on the way in and once on the way out!

Makes you wonder what kind of a Company Piaggio is when their own "required" motif for a Vespa / Piaggio business cannot survive but NON Piaggio motif businesses can.

YIKES! What an unscruplious Company!

When you can, remember to support your local Boutique Dealership because it's obvious Piaggio doesn't!

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
Addicted
GTS300 Super
Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:43 pm quote
I don't get scooters not making it in Tampa. Great scooter weather all year around and great routes. I use to live in south Tampa and worked downtown. Could there be a better scooter route than the Bayshore into town? Okay, maybe not when there is a red tide in. How about the Causeway? Florida, Nebraska, Westshore, Dale Mabry, Kennedy, Gandy, all pieces of cake. Even 75 is nothing to get up tight about out of rush hour. Come ride LBJ in Dallas or go over our High Five and you will understand what I mean. All you need to be willing to do in Tampa is ride in a few afternoon rain showers and there's no reason to own a car.

I checked out that Clearwater website and noticed they didn't even show 300s. Guessing that means they have also gone under. Clearwater, speak of scooter heaven! Don't even get me started.

Man I crave a cuban sandwich.
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 GTS250ie GTS300
Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:11 pm quote
St. Pete Scooters is just a few blocks down the street from the Tampa Vespa dealer and do great work. I switched to them after the Vespa dealer charged me $25 for a oil filter. Vespa Atlanta shipped me one for $10 including shipping.

Clearwater Vespa is still in business.
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:32 pm quote
Jim L. wrote:
I don't get scooters not making it in Tampa. Great scooter weather all year around and great routes. I use to live in south Tampa and worked downtown. Could there be a better scooter route than the Bayshore into town? Okay, maybe not when there is a red tide in. How about the Causeway? Florida, Nebraska, Westshore, Dale Mabry, Kennedy, Gandy, all pieces of cake. Even 75 is nothing to get up tight about out of rush hour. Come ride LBJ in Dallas or go over our High Five and you will understand what I mean. All you need to be willing to do in Tampa is ride in a few afternoon rain showers and there's no reason to own a car.

I checked out that Clearwater website and noticed they didn't even show 300s. Guessing that means they have also gone under. Clearwater, speak of scooter heaven! Don't even get me started.

Man I crave a cuban sandwich.
People down there ride sportbikes, Harleys and cheap throw-away scooters. Its the truth as my family has a place there and I'm down there quite a bit. The whole month of November I was there I saw one other Vespa. I'm on Gulf Blvd in Madeira Beach just south of Clearwater Beach and I never see a Vespa cruising. When I have the Vespa there people look at it as if mine is the first Vespa they ever saw. I agree that Bayshore Blvd is a great ride.

Florida GTS.jpg

Hooked
BMW F700GS, 1996 Honda Helix, Giallo GTS (sold), Buddy125
Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:51 pm quote
As a former tampanian (lol) I don't get why scooters are not more popular. It seems chinese rot and sport bikes rule. Plus they love suvs. Oh well. I miss cuban food too. Mmm. La Teresita..........
Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:24 pm quote
Yes, this is tough, mentioned in a previous post Vespa of Tampa

Vespa Tampa wasn't actually in Tampa, but was in downtown St. Pete. They've been trying to revitalize downtown St. Pete, but the economy has hit Tampa Bay pretty hard. I don't think it's going to work out.

Vespa Tampa used to be in Tampa by International Plaza (a very upscale mall). The problem is it wasn't where people live. I can't believe that they didn't move to Hyde Park. This is the more "upscale urban" location which would have supported it. It's also by Bayshore Blvd referenced in this thread.

Never been to Barney's in Brandon, but Barney's St. Pete is pretty nice place. Bought a filter and oil at Vespa Clearwater, and price was right on. Haven't had any work down there, but they seem pretty up and up. Hope they make it as I'm actually moving closer to them in a few months.
Addicted
GTS300 Super
Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:42 pm quote
peabody99 wrote:
As a former tampanian (lol) I don't get why scooters are not more popular. It seems chinese rot and sport bikes rule. Plus they love suvs. Oh well. I miss cuban food too. Mmm. La Teresita..........
Yummm La Teresita. On Columbus near Dale Mabry. Excellent and very reasonable. Now you talkin .
The Host with the Toast
Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:50 pm quote
coluld this be whats going on?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Market_saturation

Lots of low mile Vespas on CL and other places like ebay. hell we even see it here in the for sale section.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vintage Red GTS / 2 GT60's / 05 ET2 / 01 ET4 X2 / 09 GTS / 78 P200 / 2003 Honda Ruckus /946 #00017 946 #00003 / 67 Sprint / 76 CB200 / 09 Ruckus
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:00 pm quote
Re: coluld this be whats going on?
175mws wrote:

Lots of low mile Vespas on CL and other places like ebay. hell we even see it here in the for sale section.
I wish I could round them all up as we sell more used bikes than we stock in any given month. We bought an 02 ET4 this morning and sold it 27 minutes later. We laughed because we said you can't get a pizza delivered in less than 30. If anyone in So Cal is looking to sell their scoot pm me, I am absolutely an immediate buyer.

Cheers,
SDG
The Host with the Toast
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:09 pm quote
Re: coluld this be whats going on?
SDG wrote:
175mws wrote:

I wish I could round them all up as we sell more used bikes than we stock in any given month. We bought an 02 ET4 this morning and sold it 27 minutes later. We laughed because we said you can't get a pizza delivered in less than 30. If anyone in So Cal is looking to sell their scoot pm me, I am absolutely an immediate buyer.

Cheers,
SDG
We live in the Big City I guess, I'm glad your doing good.
Hooked
2006 GTS
Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 am quote
Vespa Clearwater is still very much in business!!! I just ordered some parts from them last week. They do have the 300's in stock I guess they just haven't updated their web site. Matt and Peter are great to deal with and their prices are right where they should be. I have been using them exclusively now for over a year now.
Molto Verboso
Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:09 am quote
vespabrian wrote:
Vespa Clearwater is still very much in business!!! I just ordered some parts from them last week. They do have the 300's in stock I guess they just haven't updated their web site. Matt and Peter are great to deal with and their prices are right where they should be. I have been using them exclusively now for over a year now.
Thanks. Good to know.
Lurker
06 Vespa LX 190, 63 Vespa GL, 75 Vespa Primavera, 75 Servetta Jet 200
Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am quote
Universal Motors/Vespa Clearwater here. Obvious plug, but yes, we're quite open. I actually just came back from picking up a Vespa in Tampa for service.

I've got 2010 bikes in stock and more on their way. We have 300s in stock as well as the new 4V Vespa LXs 50. We also stock commonly used parts/maintenance items. If you come by and the door is lock, heed the sign with the arrow to come to the service center next door and someone will be happy to open up the place and let you take a look around. Usually we have hot Lavazza in the morning and iced leftovers in the afternoon, feel free to ask for a cup.

A new website will be going up sometime soon now that Florida is finally getting the weather its supposed to (what a crappy winter!).

I have no knowledge of what lead to Vespa Tampa/St. Pete's decision to close their doors, but 09' was a fairly slow year coupled with dismal starting winter. The Tampa store was co-owned by the Orlando store who is one of the top dealers in the USA, so I really doubt it was any complications with Piaggio as some are assuming. Likewise, we are totally unaffiliated with the Tampa store so if you have any questions about them, and can't get ahold of Mike or Jeremy, I've been telling people to give the Orlando store a call.

Thanks Brian for sending me a link to this thread. I've been a member of Modern Vespa with a personal account for sometime but I usually stick to browsing, I've previously posted as the username 'Orbit' from way back before we even thought becoming a Vespa dealer was even possible.
Molto Verboso
Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 am quote
UniversalMotors wrote:
Universal Motors/Vespa Clearwater here. Obvious plug, but yes, we're quite open. I actually just came back from picking up a Vespa in Tampa for service.

I've got 2010 bikes in stock and more on their way. We have 300s in stock as well as the new 4V Vespa LXs 50. We also stock commonly used parts/maintenance items. If you come by and the door is lock, heed the sign with the arrow to come to the service center next door and someone will be happy to open up the place and let you take a look around. Usually we have hot Lavazza in the morning and iced leftovers in the afternoon, feel free to ask for a cup.

A new website will be going up sometime soon now that Florida is finally getting the weather its supposed to (what a crappy winter!).

I have no knowledge of what lead to Vespa Tampa/St. Pete's decision to close their doors, but 09' was a fairly slow year coupled with dismal starting winter. The Tampa store was co-owned by the Orlando store who is one of the top dealers in the USA, so I really doubt it was any complications with Piaggio as some are assuming. Likewise, we are totally unaffiliated with the Tampa store so if you have any questions about them, and can't get ahold of Mike or Jeremy, I've been telling people to give the Orlando store a call.

Thanks Brian for sending me a link to this thread. I've been a member of Modern Vespa with a personal account for sometime but I usually stick to browsing, I've previously posted as the username 'Orbit' from way back before we even thought becoming a Vespa dealer was even possible.
Thanks for sharing. I'm moving down to Palm Harbor/Dunedin in a little over a month so I'll be much closer to you.
Lurker
P200E, LD125, SYM Citycom300i, more
Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:03 pm quote
Our neighbor is gone
Vespa Saint Petersburg, formerly Vespa Tampa, is no more.

If you have a Vespa or Piaggio, you can have warranty work done at Vespa Clearwater.

But don't forget, if you need service or repair that is not warranty-related, a good option is not as far away as Clearwater. Scooter Escapes has earned an excellent reputation for scooter service. Located just 1/2 mile from the Vespa St Pete store, our address is:

1450 1st Avenue North, St Pete, FL 33705

We are open 6 days a week, and we have transport available if your scooter isn't drivable, or if you need to have your scooter transported to Clearwater for warranty work.

Scooter Escapes was here when Vespa Tampa/St Pete moved into our 'hood, and we'll be here for a long time to come. We sell SYM, TGB, Adly, and other brands of scooters. Unlike Vespa Tampa/St Pete, we have ASE certified techs on duty 6 days a week. Try us once, and you'll come back again and again.

http://www.scooterescapes.com
300 GTS
Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 am quote
Sad to see Mike go
I bet I was the last one Vespa of Tampa (in St Pete) sold a scooter to. I got the black 300 gts 2010. You St Pete peeps might see me bombing the streets. Feel free to say hi, if you can catch me. He never called and told me about his discontinuation of business, I had to hear it from someone second-hand. Pretty Shitty, and I still had a warranty part on order that is stuck in limbo somewhere. Also, my warranty paperwork wasn't even pushed thru, I had to do it all myself. Good thing Piaggio has a good team of corporate reps up in NY, they got that shit handled.

I all I see around town are the cheap-ass chinese knock-offs. Every once and a while I see a vintage cruising around, but barely any new vespas. Most people in the Tampa bay don't get the idea of owning a Vespa. They just want a cheap thing to get around on, which I kinda understand.

The only person I've met that really appreciated my ride was Thomas at Sake Bomb, which is the place in downtown to hang if you have a scoot.

-C
Lurker

Sun May 16, 2010 8:35 pm quote
Vespa Tampa
Granny's in Sarasota is a Vespa dealer and service.
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1193s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0548s) ][ Debug on ]