@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
This ride was in aid of Help For Heroes, if you would like to donate to this charity please click this link: http://www.justgiving.com/ModernVespa

Day -1 (Friday, the day before).

On the Friday before the ride was due to start, I was staying overnight in a Travelodge in Margate, 69 miles from where I live, about 1.5 hours ride. But before I could leave I had to collect the scoot from the dealer, where he was solving an electrical problem and fitting a new Scorpion pipe. I am aware of some the issues with Scorpion pipes and I was praying that I would not be unlucky over the next few days!!
I had to pack and attend the birthday party of my niece. The weather was glorious and I was chomping at the bit to leave, so with a 5 year old girls party quickly filling up with more 5 year old girls, I decided it was time to leave and made a quick exit, leaving my youngest girl there for my sister to return home later.
I rushed home, packed the scoot and shot off as quick as I could. Pretty much immediately I was not only baking in the surprisingly warm weather but filtering through heavy traffic across the Dartford bridge.
Other than the bridge I had no trouble getting to Margate and it was an uneventful but thirsty ride (for me, not the scoot).

I arrived at the Travelodge and within 10 seconds I had security for the centre on the telephone to the Hotel complaining about my scoot parked next to the bike rack. It seems my scoot could possibly damage their pavement and I could not chain my scoot to their rack. Anyway it transpires that the manager of the hotel supports Help For Heroes and was really delighted to discuss the charity and what were about to do. She kindly offered her own car parking space for our scoots and immediately went outside to move her car. As yet Peter (who was also staying in Margate) had not arrived on his GTV, so I unpacked the scoot and had a wander around.

After a while Peter arrived and after unpacking we went to find a pub and some food. (I was still rather thirsty) Luckily for Peter we found a carvery and we ate dinner and waited to her from Dixie, Jules and Sophie, who were also meeting us in Margate. After a number of calls Dixie and family arrived. They were riding a camo T5 with side car and a P2 2-up.

Now we were now 5. Well 4 bikes. 2 modern, 2 traditional.

We had a beer and discussed the weekend coming. We were also joined from some of the chaps from the South Coast Pirates scooter club, we had a drink and discussed the weekend.

Before long we were all ready for bed. I fell asleep before 9 I think, but awoke at 12.30 and then again at 2.30. At 3.30 I decided to pack up the bike and find some fuel and go for a ride. So at 4.00 am I was riding around Margate in thick fog and pitch black looking for fuel.

Day 1. The first day of the ride.

I had been ready to leave since before dawn. So I was raring to go. Once we found somewhere for breakfast (the staple British diet of McD's) we headed back to the hotel to find Tony and Kelvin with their scoots waiting for us. Kelvin had another 300 and Tony a GT200. Once we exchanged pleasantries, Tony and Kelvin also devoured some of the local delicacy of McD's we headed towards RAF Manston, our starting point. We were already late to meet Dixie, Jules and Sophie. So it wasn't a great start.

Once we all arrived at Manston we were lucky enough to have some more of the South Coast Pirates and the local paparazzi there to see us off. We left a little late (about 9.25 am) for Tangmere Aviation Museum. About 125 miles away

It was not a quick ride, we were all finding our feet and riding at the slowest bikes pace. However even with a few stops, Peter led the group to Tangmere ahead of schedule. (about 12.25)

When we arrived we were greeted by the glorious site of the gleaming Hornet and the olive Interloper. MV's very own Billdog and Genie were there to meet and greet. I was over the moon to see them and enjoyed having all of our pics taken with the Phantom static display.
It was also an emotional moment for Jules and her family. The people at Tangmere were very kind and generous and could not help any of us enough.

We had some lunch and lots of photos also a look around the museum and were back on the road at 2.00 heading for Exeter. 140 miles away. This time I was leading the group and again it was not a quick ride. We were traveling at the same speed as the T5 and P2. Which was fine for me and I did my best to keep everyone together. Although this is the first time I have ever lead a ride, at least it was not a quick one!
We had one issue on route and that was Jules had to have a quick tire change at roadside. Fortunately Dixie has the fastest spanners in the west and we were back on the road in 15 minutes.

We eventually arrived at Exeter, tired and exhausted at 6 ish? (I cant remember) it was a little ahead of schedule but not by alot.

After day one we were all very tired but all very impressed by the resilience of the traditional scooters but even more impressed by the traditional scooterists. I think the modern scooterists we all in agreement in their praise for those 2 old scoots and their riders.

Beer, Dinner and Bed.

Day 2. Lands End.

Day 2 started well with the fire alarm in the hotel ringing at just before 6am. We were all outside in the sunshine at 6am, angry scooterists, fed up and annoyed.

Dixie, Jules and Sophie had a brainwave in the evening and had decided that the modern scooters should be allowed a certain amount of free reign and the traditional scooters would leave alone earlier than the mods and take a direct rout to Penzance. Allowing Peter, Tony, Kelvin and I to take a more scenic route and catch them up.

I was up early again and waited by the scoots to see Dixie, Jules and Sophie off. About 7ish they left, it was cold and damp and I did not envy young Sophie riding pillion. I waved them on their way and headed back to the room.

At 9 (or a bit later) us modern scooterists took off rather leisurely towards Slapton Sands to see a war memorial their. If you do not know about this particluar part of WW2 it is worth looking it up. I was once again leading and not feeling at all confident about the day.
Over the last 24 hours I had been feeling less and less confident on the scoot, I was not sure if it was because if tiredness or the extra weight I was carrying but the more I thought about it, the worse my riding got and the more I worried. It was a cycle which continued until Lands End.

Day 2 did not start well for me as I immediately went the wrong way, much to the amusement of those behind. Slowly we made our way towards Slapton Sands some 50 miles away. It was not a quick route however with some roads barely roads at all! Country lanes of the narrowest and steepest kind.

We arrived and took some pics, again we met some great people and it was a very interesting place.

We stayed only briefly and left to head towards Penzance to meet the family-Dixie. I was leading and was not enjoying it.
About 105 miles to Penzance.

The route from Slapton to the A30 was a difficult as the morning route, with country lanes and twisty roads which I was starting to feel more and more paranoid about. Eventually we hit the A30 and this is a long straight newish road with big hills. It was alot of fun as we tried to hit our rev limiters, I think only Peter managing to do so.

Eventually Dixie text, to say they were heading into Lands End and we should meet them there. We pushed on along the A30 and eventually rode through Penzance onto Lands End.

It was glorious weather. A summers day to greet us!! We relaxed and enjoyed our moment. We had a picture taken at the Lands End sign post and the staff working there we more than happy to accommodate size scooters and a side car.

We could not stay long however as we had to get back to the hotel. 125 miles away!

This time it was Peter's turn to lead and I gratefully hung back and followed. There were some fantastic twisty roads down in Lands End and it was glorious.

This time with the more experienced Peter leading the ride was ALOT faster.

I tried my best to keep up but my body just would not let me ride full throttle for very long, I was too tired and physically knackered to ride WOT for too long. The first half of the ride back was hard going for me to keep up, I was struggling, my confidence and riding had taken a knock and my body was giving up. But we stopped half way for fuel, and I started to feel better. As more traffic appeared on route I begun to forget about my riding and concentrate o overtaking the next vehicle. It started to feel more like my natural riding and I forgot about my tiredness and enjoyed the roads.

We all arrived back at Exeter tired and thirsty. But with a sense of achievement. We had finished what we had set out to do and made some money for a charity we all cared about. We had also made new friends and met lots of interesting people. For me, I found out about some glaring problems with my riding and confidence, I also feel very satisfied by what we all achieved. A long time ago this was all just text on a forum. But for a few days we were actually riding those roads and seeing those views and meeting those people. That is something that I will live with forever. (well until the next one).

Pictures will follow when I have some.

Marc[/i]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by TailorMarc on UTC; edited 1 time
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
2021 White Racing Sixties, 1959 Vespa 150 VBA, 1959 Lambretta Series 2 LI125, 1999 PX200E
UTC quote
Bloody brilliant weekend mate. If i'd realised you were struggling i would have taken over and given you a break. Never keep that kind of stuff to yourself, i'd never laugh or take the piss mate, we've all been there.

Here's some of my pictures....

UK - Help For Heroes Charity Ride
OP
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
Pepy27 wrote:
Bloody brilliant weekend mate. If i'd realised you were struggling i would have taken over and given you a break. Never keep that kind of stuff to yourself, i'd never laugh or take the piss mate, we've all been there.

It was alright, the only way to learn is to actually do it. So even if i wasn't enjoying parts, I was thinking, well at least I am learning.

It was a smashing weekend. Incredible to think we did 1000miles (at least thats what my shatnav says)
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
UTC quote
Pepy27 wrote:

I've had to link them as i'm having trouble posting them into this thread.
@ironfoot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS 250 - sold

Molto Verboso
@ironfoot avatar
'07 GTS 250 - sold
UTC quote
Congratulations on the ride and the fund raising, sounds like you had a good run. It was brilliant weather for it for a change!

I've taken my GTS 2 up to Land's End a couple of times. Lizard Point (southern most part of mainland Britain) is worth the trip as well if you're down that way again. Next time maybe?

We took a circular route around the coast roads between Penzance and Land's End. The landscape in those last few miles of moorland and little villages feels really isolated, like the middle of nowhere, but you're never more than 15 miles from the town.
OP
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
Now with Pics.
@huskyteer avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Honda NC700D Integra

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@huskyteer avatar
Honda NC700D Integra
UTC quote
What an epic trip - very well done!
@dixie avatar
UTC

T5 mk1, P2 chop

@dixie avatar
T5 mk1, P2 chop
UTC quote
speed
thanks again guys for putting up with the 50-ish speed we were limited too, apart from a couple of 60-ish mph hills. Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and meeting you all.
Bloody brilliant adventure!!
Write up for Scootering being sent in this week
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
UTC quote
Will they let you know which edition it will be in mate?
@dixie avatar
UTC

T5 mk1, P2 chop

@dixie avatar
T5 mk1, P2 chop
UTC quote
scootering
hopefully next months but I will check, writing it tonight and e-mailing it tomorrow to them
OP
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
Re: scootering
dixie wrote:
hopefully next months but I will check, writing it tonight and e-mailing it tomorrow to them
Don't forget to give the mincing chip shop manager a nice big thank you for closing the bar every time we sat down.
@pepy27 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@pepy27 avatar
UTC quote
My twopenneth
Day 1
I left Huntingdon at about 1.30pm to travel the first 120'ish miles to the meeting point in Margate.
Used the A14/M1 then onto the M25 (major filtering up to and over the Queen Elisabeth Bridge).
Then onto the M2 to Margate.
Met Marc and had a chin wag and a beer before a demolishing a mammoth carvery.
The King's finally found us on their trads after a couple of laps of Margate and we consumed a few of beers.

Day 2
Met at the Spitfire Museum at RAF Manston where a photographer from the local paper took some photographs. (Thanet News?).
Marc was going to lead but had a technology failure so I took up the baton. (Head set not connecting to his tomtom).
We left at about 9.30am and covered roughly 120 miles to our first stop of the day, Tangmere Aviation Museum near Portsmouth. Bill & Genie were waiting for us..... We had a break to look at the museum and get something to eat before the next leg, 160'ish miles to Exeter services.
Both tomtom batteries died so we had to actually use our brains for the last 20 miles or so. We finally arrived just after 6pm. Exeter Services is not exactly packed with culinary delights so we slummed it with a BK then hit the bar at the Travelodge. 10pm and the shutters went up much to the annoyance of the punters in the bar. When challenged, the manager informed us that "it's a restaurant not a pub!"

Day 3
Dixie, Jules and Sophie on the 2 geared Vespas with us set off early for Penzance and Lands End.
Me, Marc, Kelvin and Tony set of for Slapton Sands memorial on our autos (this is where a large number of US servicemen died practicing for the D-Day landings). We took photos at the memorial on the beach and at the Sherman tank retrieved from the sea that has been placed at the edge of the village.
Later in the day we all met up at Lands End where we got a group photo taken at the tourist milepost (like you do!).
Then the long dual carriageway ride back to Exeter services. (Roughly a 300 mile round trip for the day).

Day 4
We all made for home in various groups/solo's. Marc off solo at the crack of dawn followed by myself Kelvin and Tony at about 8.30am.I must apologize to Kelvin and Tony for the mistake that split us on the M5, totally my fault! I ended up using the M5 to Bristol then the M4, M25 & A1 to Huntingdon. I arrived home at about 1.15pm after only 2 stops for fuel.

All in all a brilliant weekend with some really nice people.
OP
@tailormarc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS300Super White

Molto Verboso
@tailormarc avatar
GTS300Super White
UTC quote
Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon I forgot about my technology failure! Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon

I also forgot about the lack of sat-nav, that was almost a mini-drama. Laughing emoticon

Good write up Pete.
@philf avatar
UTC

gts250ie

@philf avatar
gts250ie
UTC quote
Well done guys. When I saw you leaving Manston last Saturday I was sort of wishing I had signed up for it. Maybe next time!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0946s ][ Queries: 21 (0.0559s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]