Bumper guard and crest
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:29 am quote
Well done to UK's Vespa Spares, and Vespa World, for delivering my bling in time for the long week-end here.

The front fender crest (now standard on new LX/V's) is what has always come on the S. No little badge but I can mock up a Piaggio one and glue it in.

The front bumper guard looks nicely made, and should be a two minute fit, with her indoors supplying an extra pair of hands. Has a little logo on the side, if it comes out in the pic.

It comes with a 3 page booklet covering generic fitting of:

The bumper guard
Rear rack
Rear side (cowl) protection
Front legshield protection
Front rack

so if anyone is missing Vespa chrome instructions and wants a nice scan just let me know.

Scoot 002 (Medium).jpg
Bumper guard and front mudguard crest

Scoot 004 (Medium).jpg
Nice little logo

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 am quote
Shiney! Yes please post an after install pic.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 am quote
OK. I'll come out. I LIKE shiny
Molto Verboso
Vespa 946
Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:25 pm quote
i LOVE that vespa etching but it's only on half the stuff i've ever seen. it's hit or miss i guess.
Banned

Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:40 pm quote
a word of caution
amongst your excitement, if you are hell bent on installing that fender bumper thing make a point of checking the screws on a regular basis, mine fell off and scared the living shit out of me as it rattled under the front, then rear tires, denting the lower right side of the legshield and luckily didn't get caught up anywhere after hitting a bump going down hill at over 100kph. I would never put one of those on again, but that is me, based on my experience. To be honest I did straighten it out and put it back on but could not feel comfortable with it so removed it and only reinstalled it prior to selling warning new owner of issue. The vespa logo looks good.
2010 GTS300, 2009 LX150
Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 pm quote
I just installed a similar bumper guard. Of course, no instructions with mine either. I hand tightened the bolts until snug on the inside of the front fender. Then, I took a spanner, and tightened the attached nuts. I did it one or two spins per nut so that they were tightened evenly. At the end of the job, they were rock solid. I must admit, however, I do worry about the damn thing loosening with vibration and falling off. I check it before every ride. Should probably apply a little loctite to be sure.
Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:16 pm quote
lumox wrote:
I just installed a similar bumper guard. Of course, no instructions with mine either. I hand tightened the bolts until snug on the inside of the front fender. Then, I took a spanner, and tightened the attached nuts. I did it one or two spins per nut so that they were tightened evenly. At the end of the job, they were rock solid. I must admit, however, I do worry about the damn thing loosening with vibration and falling off. I check it before every ride. Should probably apply a little loctite to be sure.
I was reading your post and was thinking loctite should be used. they your last sentence confirmed you are thinking the same thing.
Resident Grump
8Fun BBS01
Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 pm quote
Re: a word of caution
rattlerider wrote:
amongst your excitement, if you are hell bent on installing that fender bumper thing make a point of checking the screws on a regular basis, mine fell off and scared the living shit out of me as it rattled under the front, then rear tires, denting the lower right side of the legshield and luckily didn't get caught up anywhere after hitting a bump going down hill at over 100kph. I would never put one of those on again, but that is me, based on my experience. To be honest I did straighten it out and put it back on but could not feel comfortable with it so removed it and only reinstalled it prior to selling warning new owner of issue. The vespa logo looks good.
Sold mine for $70 less than cost, and felt guilty.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:48 pm quote
Thanks for the heads up folks. OK, careful tightening of bolts, and loctite. Then add to pre-ride checks.

Doing it this w/e. Back later.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 am quote
All done
Drilling the front mudguard for the crest and mudflap, fitting them, and the bumper guard, was about 4 hours.

Half that was figuring out how the ratchet straps worked

A mate gave me them when I moved his bike for him in my trailer 10 years ago and they’ve been sitting in a corner since, unused.

I loosened the front wheel hex nuts (6 mm allen key), lifted the front in to the straps, and put something underneath just in case.

Checked the tyre whilst the wheel was off. OEM Sava, but what do I know. The tyre was OK.

No torque wrench yet so when putting the wheel back on after, I went tight, then a teeny bit more. As it happens, one nut had been yellow dotted with the rim, and it lined up right. So I figure it's there or thereabouts. I'll re-check it tomorrow after a short ride.

All told, I'm happy with it, and it's given me confidence to tackle other jobs, where I think they're within my capabilities.

Vespa front rack next, and rear cowl bars. The OEM rack needs the horncast cover drilling, but I'm OK with that now.

As it's going to be off, seems a good time to think about a better horn, and have a good look in there, see what's what.

Here we go:

Scoot 011 (Medium).jpg
All ready

Scoot 012 (Medium).jpg
Before

Scoot 013 (Medium).jpg
Took the mat off, to find the dreaded scuff marks. One up to the "no mat" folks.

Scoot 015 (Medium).jpg
Bit of rust in the footrest screws. I'll take them out, clean them, and smear something on.

Scoot 016 (Medium).jpg
Wheel off and 5 nuts and washers accounted for. One nut with a yellow dot, corresponding with a mark on the wheel rim.

Scoot 017 (Medium).jpg
Brake disc etc bagged so no swarf drops in.

Scoot 019 (Medium).jpg
My assistant keeps an eye on me to ensure I don't bollox anything up.

Scoot 020 (Medium).jpg
Those first drill holes in a new scoot are über scary. Checked measurements a zillion times, but in the end went more by eye.

Scoot 021 (Medium).jpg
All done. Job's a good 'un. Zinc bolts and double nuts on the mudflap. Put some loctite on the guard bolts and nuts. The fixing seems very firm but I'll check it. Smeared some copper grease on the wheel nuts.

Scoot 023 (Medium).jpg
Some 60's NOS aerials with Vespa pennants I'd already fitted. I don't carry anything so the fixing is fine on the fold down whilst it's up. Got to do the full test and loose the L plates :-)

Last edited by 60yoMod on Sat May 01, 2010 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 am quote
They sell the little sticker that fits on the fender-crest for next to nothing at any Vespa dealer.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Sat May 01, 2010 10:35 am quote
Cheers VEZPA. Meant to mention it in the write up but forgot

I'll ask 'em. If not, I can mock one up and watertight it.
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 am quote
60yoMod wrote:

Part # is

Enthusiast
Vespa S125ie (2010)
Sat May 01, 2010 10:53 am quote
I think those touches really improve the look of the front fender- great work. Love the flags too.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250 "Audrey"
Sat May 01, 2010 11:00 am quote
Well done 60! Looks your assistant did her job. Clearly no bolloxing.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Sat May 01, 2010 11:04 am quote
VEZPA wrote:
60yoMod wrote:

Part # is

That's so kind. Thank you. Off to eat now then google
Banned

Sun May 02, 2010 12:02 am quote
good work,
you know someone was selling a similar fender bumper thing with an extra piece that was welded on the front, I think but I am not sure where it attached, it led back up underneath to the screw that holds the fender on, if your assistant has time and you felt like making sure, that thing never falls off, you might want to use some kind of strapping from the screws each side up to this fender screw, on the upper underside, this would make you feel better about never loosing it.
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Sun May 02, 2010 12:26 am quote
Re: good work,
rattlerider wrote:
you know someone was selling a similar fender bumper thing with an extra piece that was welded on the front, I think but I am not sure where it attached, it led back up underneath to the screw that holds the fender on, if your assistant has time and you felt like making sure, that thing never falls off, you might want to use some kind of strapping from the screws each side up to this fender screw, on the upper underside, this would make you feel better about never loosing it.
You know, I've seen that rattlerider, but can't remember where now. The strap went up inside and to the back. Thanks for the heads up.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 pm quote
I really like the pennants you have on the scooter. What are you using to mount them onto the scooter?
Molto Verboso
2009 LXV125
Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:23 am quote
ScooterGirlinAL wrote:
I really like the pennants you have on the scooter. What are you using to mount them onto the scooter?
Thanks ScooterGirl

The flag pennants are these

http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/readspeed/vespa-piaggio-flag-for-whippy-aerial-726-p.asp

and they're mounted on a pair of New Old Stock 60's aerials (minus the tassels) bought from this seller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Motor-FLAGPOLE-AERIAL-Vespa-Lampretta-Moped-Scooter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e4e13d524QQitemZ130158941476QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts

I simply bolted them to the rear rack. I don't carry anything so that's fine, and if I did go for a topbox, or more likely a rolltop, they're easily moved.

They give a little nod to the 60's I think, without being silly.

Now a 12' whippy aerial with a bit of dead fox hanging off it would have been silly
Rallies Europe 2015   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.4282s ][ Queries: 32 (0.2294s) ][ Debug on ]