17%  [ 3 ]
just cheese please
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Hooked
too many to list

Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:06 am quote
who has one on an ET4 and could you post up a pic, also, what did you do to install the thing, I just got off the phone with chad at corbin, and he said they didn't change them.

People on here said they fit well, I disagree, maybe I'm wrong.

Feedback please!

-larry
Ossessionato
Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:12 am quote
I'm thinking about getting one for my forthcoming GTS, but someone here had a problem with one on a GT, so I'm having second thoughts, especially after reading your troubles with getting one (out of four!) to fit an ET, also.

Actually, I prefer meat sauce.
Molto Verboso
Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:27 am quote
Len Smith had one

Tim
Ossessionato
Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:58 am quote
Tim, how thick is the saddle, from the top of the scoot frame to the top of the padding?
Molto Verboso
Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:04 am quote
It's about like this.
Not sure I stole the picture from Len Smith the Corbin saddle king of California.

Tim
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:33 pm quote
Don't do it!
Don't post your Corbin seat pictures for Larry to drool over. You are one demented voyeur, Larry.

Can you be more specific as to why the Corbin seat doesn't fit? Is it the mounting hardware? Is it the seat base? Is it Al Dente

Somebody recently posted about a minor issue on a seat hinge, that Corbin supplied with a GT200 seat. It was something that could be easily rectified.
Hooked
too many to list

Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:13 pm quote
seat frame appears to be too long.

Latch doesn't line up.

seat frame seems too wide.

lock cylinder support, incorrect.

demented voyeur? HA! I think not...well....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:51 pm quote
Larry,

The seat is a little longer and wider than the standard seat, but the seat frame fit the bike frame fine. The latch didn't catch all the way at first, and I had to push it down, but as the seat broke in, it seated just fine. And you do have to fiddle with the lock, but I got mine working fine too. I wonder if your saddle would seat better as it breaks in?

Len
Hooked
too many to list

Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:49 am quote
It was on for 3 months...

-larry
Enthusiast
Thunderturd, P200s, GS 150, Allstate 788-101, Vespa S
Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:28 pm quote
corbin
Based on that photo, it looks like one big advantage the Corbin seat would offer to an ET owner is to get the riding height down for a short person.

I get the idea that one of the main goals of the LX model was to lower the seat height on the ET-type model for short folks.

dave
Molto Verboso
Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:35 pm quote
Got this from the Corbin Site.
I got this from The Corbin Site

Can a saddle be modified to suit me?

Yes, however the Corbin saddle is designed to work perfect for about 90% of the riding population. If there is any doubt, you can provide your height, weight and inseam to your sales representative and they will provide that information to the people making your saddle. We strongly suggest that before any modifications are made, that you try riding our standard shape seat, that way, if modifications need to be made, we will have a point of reference. If you have to send a saddle back to us for modification, we will change the shape of your seat to your specification at no charge as long as we can put the same cover back onto the seat. If the changes are such that the cover cannot be reused, then we would have to charge for a new cover at cost. The Corbin Saddle fits almost everyone after the suggested break-in period.

Tim
Molto Verboso
Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:13 am quote
How they measure (NSFW) maybe
I think this is how they Measure (NSFW!) for the corbin seat. They have some great downloads at Aprilia .

Tim
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:47 pm quote
Tim - I edited your post to make it clear the link was NSFW.
Molto Verboso
Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:18 am quote
Larry,

Did you ever get the Corbin seat to fit right on your ET4 ? Do you have any pictures ?

Tim
Hooked
GTS300 Super
Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:37 am quote
Standard Corbin works great on my GT200. No latch problems - more comfy than stock.
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:46 pm quote
Ok, how is this for weird. Look what I won on ebay recently, and it arrived today. Look familiar? Len, I apparently bought it from the person who sold it to you. Although I didn't realize that until 1) I came here looking for a Corbin thread and 2) saw that photo above and 3) checked the original receipt and saw your name.

Anyway, looks good, right? I was really looking forward to a lower seat, and couldn't resist the deal. But it doesn't latch. I even took the backrest off from my rack since it was in the way, but the latch simply doesn't reach. I figured it was because I don't have the stock rack on, so I tried it on my ET2, which does have the stock rack. It gets a teensy bit closer, but still won't latch.

I've written to the Corbin folks to see if there's a solution.
The lock cylinder was kind of wiggy, too. Maybe I should have listened to Larry. ::: sigh ::: Len - someone - anyone - please help!

corbin.jpg

Hooked
'06 GTS, '06 GT, '79 P200, '80 Sport 100
Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:38 pm quote
Disappointed with previous Corbin seats
This is not related to Corbin seats for the ET/GT, but my husband ordered a customized Corbin seat for his Honda Silverwing scooter. The first one that arrived was not only damaged but made improperly. The leather was ripped as if it was put on too tight at the back edge. The custom measurements were not done -it was a stock seat. Even though it was damaged and had to go back, we tried it on the bike and that one had problems latching. After returning it, another one arrived. However, it never fit quite right on the bike. The latch was never as good as the original Honda seat - you had to really force it down. It was disappointing after waiting so long and paying so much. The one feature that was nice was the adjustable backrest. After that experience with Corbin, I wouldn't rush out to buy another one for a scooter. We also had a custom Corbin seat for a BMW motorcycle that looked really sweet but my husband didn't use it so we sold it (it came as a spare seat when we bought the bike). There were no fit issues with the BMW since it attaches differently and doesn't lift up like scooter seats.

Karen
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:10 pm quote
I did get the seat to latch on my ET. You do have to take a little time to get the locking mechanism in right, and getting the clip on the locking mechanism took a little doing, since the leather is so thick.

Also....does the seat latch when you sit on it?

The latch seemed to break-in after about a week, and it worked perfectly after that.

I hope you llike it...it was sure a comfortable saddle!

Len
Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:41 am quote
Does anyone make a custom seat for the LX?
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:42 am quote
Thanks for the input Cindy and Len.

Sadly, I don't think it will fit if I want to keep my chrome rack. Here's a closeup I took of the rear of the seat and where the rack attaches. Doesn't it look like it won't fit over it?

rackintheway.jpg

Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:48 am quote
I took this photo of the back of the Corbin seat next to a stock ET seat and lightened the midtones so you could see the latches. The latch on the Corbin is in the correct area, but look how much higher the back of the stock seat is.

I currently have a low seat from Piaggio on my ET, and I haven't had any problems with fit or latch issues.

corbinETcomparison.jpg

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:14 am quote
That tri-color Corbin looks great. I hope you will find a way to make it fit. I don't care for the blue seat on my LX at all.
Addicted
gt200
Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 am quote
Hey girlbike,

Perhaps you already thought of it, but maybe Corbin can modifty your seat for a few bucks. Also is that extra space because of the frame or the cushion/padding?

X
girlbike wrote:
I took this photo of the back of the Corbin seat next to a stock ET seat and lightened the midtones so you could see the latches. The latch on the Corbin is in the correct area, but look how much higher the back of the stock seat is.

I currently have a low seat from Piaggio on my ET, and I haven't had any problems with fit or latch issues.
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:43 am quote
xman wrote:
Hey girlbike,

Perhaps you already thought of it, but maybe Corbin can modifty your seat for a few bucks. Also is that extra space because of the frame or the cushion/padding?

X
Xman - I wrote to Corbin tech support and asked them if they knew of a solution, but haven't heard back yet (I wrote late yesterday). The extra space is because of the frame. It's hard to line the two seats up to compare since they are such different shapes; for this photo I tried to get the hooks in the same place so we could compare where the seat frame was in comparison. The reason I think the Corbin won't work with my rack is because the stock ET seat is angled inward on the back, the Corbin goes straight down.

Since Len said it worked on his, I'm going to give it another try. I didn't try to latch it by sitting on it, but all the pushing in the world didn't seem to even get it close - it didn't even appear to touch the bar on the scooter (the one the latch hooks on to) at all.

Cindy - I think it looks good, too. When I saw it on ebay, I thought, no way will this look good, but that's ok, because I plan on making a cover for it anyway (comes with the territory ). In person, though, I like it without a cover, so it's nice to have that option. I'm not a big fan of the blue seats, either.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 am quote
Girlbike,

I'm not sure it it will work with the chrome rack. One of the reasons the Corbin looks different in your pic from the rear is that the corbin is a little wider and a little longer...i think the ET Corbin hangs over the front and the rear a little more than the standard seat, giving a larger saddle.

If you like the saddle, you might have to use the stock rack on back. If you keep the stock rack, you might consider chroming it. One of my friends sent his in for chroming, and it looks great. Powdercoating looks good too on a standart ET rack.
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:26 am quote
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced it won't work with the chrome rack at this point.

Xman, this isn't a very scientific comparison, but here's another photo of the latch vs the rear of the seat.

latchdistance.jpg

Addicted
gt200
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:09 am quote
WOW…That a defiantly longer. I don't know if there is any solution beside modify the plastic frame (cutout or short) or change your rack… .

That kinda of sucks. I'm getting something don right now to my seat also, but it using the original frame, so I don't expect any problem…but you never know.

I hope Corbin gets back to you soon. Even though it's 2nd hand it still in their best interest to help you. Can you say "sucky review on a blog"…

Please let us know how it work out.

X
girlbike wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced it won't work with the chrome rack at this point.

Xman, this isn't a very scientific comparison, but here's another photo of the latch vs the rear of the seat.
Hooked
62 vespa150, 75 Rally200,79 P-215,ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:30 am quote
Oh Jesus, I barley made it through this discussion with out breaking into tears! First off, making a seat pan that fits, is not rocket science. Corbin should take their Vespa line off the market until they get their shit together. I don't understand why they didn't just mold their design around the stock seat pan. If there's a patten on it, change it slightly. NOT BY MAKING IT LONGER AND WIDDER. I wanna break out laughing now. Am I the only one that thinks this makes to much sense for a company that's been in business for years, to think of?????!!!
Those photos you took of the latch don't really do much good since it would be OK if the seat hung over the rear a little because it looks like Corbin put their latch higher up into the seat and dropped the back part of the pan down , that would take up the space. You need to measure from the hinge to the latch. That would give you a better idea of how far off the latch is. It may be that the latch is just to short. In that case,, Break out a belt sander. The corbin pan is resin? correct? That is probably why some of the holes for the lock are to big. Its hard to match a hole when is molded resin. A plastic pan makes much more sense, and its a lot lighter. But now I'm wandering. What you need to do if the latch is to short, is either make a longer latch, or remove the cover, and sand down what ever part of the seat is making contact with the scooters frame. That would lower the seat so that the latch can catch. But if the latch is WAY to short, then sanding down the pan would leave the seat sloping down to much in the back.
I don't mean to trash Corbin completely, But this is funny. The leather they use has been known to wrinkle on their motorcycle seats, They used to take them back and replace the cover. Now they are telling people that's is normal. So you spend a crap load of money on a seat, the leather wrinkles (where your legs are) and your stuck with it.
if you cant figure out what the problem is, feel free to mail it to me and I will make it work. I have an ET 4 so I can use my own scooter to take measurements from.
www.pirateupholstery.com
Hooked
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:45 am quote
P.S. you can alter that bracket on the rack. Just move where the bend is. That would allow the seat pan to go down all the way. All this work for a seat
I would also like to mention, that instead of people buying a hole new seat, why not just reshape the seat they already have?
Ossessionato
07 GTS250ie VCOA#2794
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:47 am quote
OFF TOPIC FOR ONE SECOND
drunknpirate wrote:
www.pirateupholstery.com
Wow! Your updated site has some great pics of GT & GTS seats. They look amazing. I need to email you for some information and quote!
Hooked
Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:52 am quote
haha thanks, I made the site myself, It bare bones cuz' I'm no expert on websites and like the fact that I can update it easily now, Hence the new pictures
Addicted
gt200
Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 am quote
The Pirate doing my seat, so I'll be sure to share some photo's with you all.

He's been very accommodating so far with my artistic visions…hehe. Nice guy and great work from what I have seen so far.

Also (off topic) I get my bike out of the shop today, YEAH!!!! Now if he can just get me my seat by this afternoon (we just finish spec'n it out)…lol

X
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 am quote
Pirate,

The Corbin seat does fit. The seat in question here used to be mine, and I loved it when it was on my ET4. It latched perfectly.

The seat's larger design was by choice, it isn't an oversight. And the gasket Corbin uses is far superior to the stock one.

The seat wasn't made to go with a chrome rack, it was made to go with the stock rack. If the ET has a stock rack, and the locking mechanism is installed correctly, the seat does fit. By the way, I didn't sell this seat to scootergirl, the person who bought my old scooter e-bayed it.

I don't understand why people are knocking Corbin. The problem here is a non stock rear rack, not a manufacturing defect.
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:00 pm quote
Len Smith wrote:
Pirate,

The Corbin seat does fit. The seat in question here used to be mine, and I loved it when it was on my ET4. It latched perfectly.

The seat's larger design was by choice, it isn't an oversight. And the gasket Corbin uses is far superior to the stock one.

The seat wasn't made to go with a chrome rack, it was made to go with the stock rack. If the ET has a stock rack, and the locking mechanism is installed correctly, the seat does fit. By the way, I didn't sell this seat to scootergirl, the person who bought my old scooter e-bayed it.

I don't understand why people are knocking Corbin. The problem here is a non stock rear rack, not a manufacturing defect.
Just a note, as I mentioned in my first post - I also tried it on my ET2, which DOES have the a stock rack, and couldn't get it to latch. But I didn't try sitting on it or really forcing it or anything. Len, the fact that it worked for you gives me hope. I'd hate to lose my chrome rack, but we'll see what happens.
Hooked
Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:21 pm quote
Why are people knocking Corbin? Because maybe your seat fits, and lets just forget about the issue above for a second.
First, I have personally seen more then one Corbin seat made for vespa Gts, that do not fit. And the latch not in the right place.
Second, the material they use for their seat pan is in no way an improvement over the molded stock seat pan. Nor the size of it.
And as I mentioned earlier, the leather is inferior for motorcycle/ motor scooter use. As it wrinkles over time.
In all, besides a lower seat, I don't see any improvements at all. And if your paying that much for a seat, I would expect some.
I said nothing about about the rack except how to solve the problem, But that brings up another point. Why would you sell a seat that interferes with up grades? This has never been a problem with any other Vespa seat manufacturer Vintage or New, that I have ever seen.
I am in the business, so I know a poorly made seat pan when I see one.
And just in case anyone thinks I'm just trying to get more customers by "knocking" corbin, I don't make seat pans for scooters. "
I think people should know about all these problems to be "aware consumers
I don't know what gasket your talking about.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
empty barn syndrome
Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:24 pm quote
>"And just in case anyone thinks I'm just trying to get more customers by "knocking" corbin, I don't make seat pans for scooters. "

I'll take your word for it. (Though it is true that though each saddle Corbin sells is one less customer for you , whether you make the pans or not )

I guess I'd just like to say that I'm a totally satisfied customer, on my 2nd Corbin saddle. My Corbin GT saddle fits perfectly, latches perfectly, and is way more comfortable than my stock GT saddle. There has also been no wrinkling on either saddle. What really sold me on the Corbin company was their customer service, which was first rate.

Just my $.02.

Girlbike, call the California operation in Hollister and ask for the manager, I forget her name at the moment. She's awesome, and will help you out.

Len
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:40 am quote
Just an update on this, just got an email from Corbin about the seat.

Crystal,
The only problems we are aware of on this saddle is that the rear
latch needs a shim or washer under it , when it is transfered.
This is due to the stiff rubber bumpers , which are designed to
break-in a little after some use . Then these shims might be able to come
out. Give this a try and see if this works for you.

I've attached a photo where I'm assuming the shims should go - any opinions on this? When I get a chance, I'll remove the screws, add washers, put the latch back on and see what happens.

You can see one of the "stiff rubber bumpers" off to the left in the photo.

(Len, I'm planning on calling, but was out of town, that's the next step if necessary. If you can think of the woman's name, please let me know.)

shimplacement.jpg

Hooked
Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:52 am quote
Quote:
break-in a little after some use
~cough~bullshit~cough~
Addicted
gt200
Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:13 am quote
HEHE… heartless. Give her a chance to be happy… Speakin of happy…in the voice of Mr. T " Wherez my seat fool!"

x
Sponsor
Vespa ET4
Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:13 am quote
drunknpirate wrote:
Quote:
break-in a little after some use
~cough~bullshit~cough~
LOL!!

don't worry, DP, if the washers don't work, I'm sending my seat with its stiff rubber bumpers to YOU!
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.4600s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0628s) ][ Debug on ]