First long outing - GTS 300 Super to the Elan Valley , UK
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 am quote
Today was my first opportunity to take the Vespa out for a long run since buying it in January - a 280km round trip from my home out to the Elan Valley in Wales.

For those that don't know it , there's a selection of huge dams and lakes that are used to supply water to the West Midlands and also generate a bit of electricity.

I stopped off for a quick break at the visitor centre

And spotted this parked up so had to stop for a photo

Before heading out alongside the lakes.

Then up through the valley to some of the dams and a break for lunch

Then out past the water into the countryside.

Before heading home.

One side effect of going out in May is the large number of insects in the air!

But after a quick clean it was looking good again.

A rough summary of the route is here - there are plenty of sweeping 70+ mph bends , plus some very intricate twisty bits where you can annoy the sportsbike riders (and then get left for dead once it opens up again)
http://tinyurl.com/329djh9
It was a really enjoyable ride from start to finish and the GTS was a pleasure to ride - the Michelin tyre I had fitted recently gives a lot of feedback and plenty of grip. A noticable improvement on the slightly square Pirelli it replaced.

So , who else was out enjoying the sun?
Hooked
2010 GTS 125 Super 'montebianco'.
Sat May 15, 2010 12:14 pm quote
What a lovely area! Looks a superb ride mate and a perfect scoot to go with it. Nice one
Enthusiast
2010 GTS 300
Sat May 15, 2010 9:56 pm quote
Looks like great fun. The last (and only time) I was up in this area was in 1979. I remember standing next to one of the reservoirs late on a sunny summer afternoon taking in the scenery and having a Norton Commando come blasting by - a fantastic noise in a beautiful place. Thank you for the post & pictures!
Hooked
Vespa s 125
Sat May 15, 2010 11:48 pm quote
Zoid.....
Fantastic pics, love them what a place, never been.

Looks like a real nice ride, might give it a go next sat if weather ok!

I just went to Bridgnorth, and did some lanes on the way back.
Will pop the pics up later!

Ossessionato
GTS 300 70th Anniversary
Sun May 16, 2010 12:07 am quote
It's well worth a visit when the weather is good, though it can be noticably colder than back in the midlands. In the summer there's usually plenty of bikes riding around.

It's possible to carry on going all the way to Aberystwyth over the mountain road, but I've never been sufficiently motivated to give it a go.

Another place that's worth a visit is Lake Bala, though that's in North Wales and would be quite a test of endurance on a 125.

You'll have to hurry up and take your test so you can get a GTS
Hooked
Vespa s 125
Sun May 16, 2010 12:34 am quote
Nice one Zoid.... I got pipped by a GTS 300 yesterday.... Put his had up as he zipped past.
Am going to sort the test real soon!
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.4253s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0640s) ][ Debug on ]