Headlight & brake light modulators (Comagination) on GTS
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Banned

Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:45 pm quote
They came in the mail today, the Comagination type for head and brake lights.

A) The actual modulator install.

Front was a cinch, and the only "work" was to install the light sensor. I found a place for it in the left rubber grommet for the mirror, and it looks like this now (see first picture below)

Rear was a bit more work, because there was soldering to be done, and lots of sweat produced until I found that the blue cap would find a space to be stored--it turned out a perfect fit--see pictures for wiring and fit.

B) Getting there and back.

The front headset cover removal was a major biatch! First I removed the wrong front center screw--the silver light adjustment screw, instead of the black cover retention screw. Nobody told me! Anyway, once the right screw was out, the cover would not come off. It stuck to the upper edge of the assembly, and only with brutal force did I manage to take it apart. Some little plastic part broke off in the process but that had no effect on the tight fit when I put it back together.

The tail light removal could have been so easy, had I not read some instructions here in another thread, where it said to remove some screws under the plate holder, then three more under the light, then finally the one under the red lens. Sorry, but that's not necessary! All it takes is one simple screw, the one in the center, directly under the red lens. So easy!

It all works as expected, and the only job left is to adjust the headlight again, in case it got out of whack.

lightsensor.JPG
Light sensor installation in the left mirror grommet, sensor facing forward

Rmodulator1.JPG
Wiring and components of rear modulator

Rmodulator2.JPG
Fit of the electronic modulator cap in the tail light housing--snug and comfy.

Last edited by Vacanze on Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
1967 Vespa SS 180
Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:23 am quote
A stupid question from Norway:

These modulators you've been writing about...what do they actually do

No one talk about them over here... :?
Enthusiast
GTS 250
Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:41 am quote
Nice job, any chance of a video of these lights in action?

Martin
Hooked
Vespa gts 250
Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:01 am quote
Not to be a jerk but I wouldnt use the yellow twist connectors they are for a/c current house wires not d/c they will corode and give you headaches in the future .Best is to solder it but if you cant at least use crimp on connectors then tape them up. Im sorry if this sounds snotty but Im a 3rd generation auto electrician and thaught it might help. Good luck with your project.
Hooked
GTS 250ie

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 am quote
Nice job!. Ditto in the twist conectors. the ones you see in cars are usually crimped. BTW, I can't tell from the pictures, but did you consider anchoring the modulator with a little silicone? It will prevent it from shaking loose and rattling later on. Not a criticism...just a thought.
As I said, Nice job! And thanks for the pictures.

Bill
Ossessionato
Piaggio BV 250
Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:09 am quote
ASB wrote:
A stupid question from Norway:

These modulators you've been writing about...what do they actually do

No one talk about them over here... :?
The Brake light modulator flashes the brake light for you so you don't have to 'pump' the handle to make it flash - makes you more noticeable.

The Headlight modulator makes the headlight alternate between high and low beam during the day (thus the light sensor) - same purpose - to make you more noticeable
Ossessionato
2012 BMW G650GS, 2006 GTS,
Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 am quote
Nice work. Can you tell us what brand you used for the headlight modulator? I did my tailight a couple weeks ago and want to do the headlight sometime soon.

Thanks!
Banned

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:27 am quote
Scooterstomp and WHR,
Thank you for voicing your concern and you have a valid point about the twist connectors.
What I did, however, was solder the wires together and 'abused' the twist connectors to isolate the solder joints, in lack of anything better.

WHR's point of siliconing the modulator is also well taken. Thank you.
I didn't do that for two reasons:
a) I don't have any silicone I could use
b) the modulator fits snugly in its little space, and the stiff wires give it less change to wiggle (or rattle).
Should a rattle develop, however, I will go and find something I can use to stop it.

I'll see if I can do a short video clip of the modulation and post it on youtube. For the headlight modulator, the way mine works is that it turns the high beam on and off, probably with 1-2Hz. No alternation between high and low beam. It can always be turned off by turning the light switch to low beam. That may be appropriate in stop-and-go traffic where it would otherwise annoy the cager in front of you unnecessarily.
Hooked
Vespa gts 250
Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:02 pm quote
Ok cool ,soldering is the best way .if you get some silicone later squirt some in those caps to seal it .If you can, post a vid to show them off .Do they flash as long as you hold the brake or flash then go solid?
El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:21 pm quote
If the brakelight flasher is from www.comagination.com it flashes either four or nine times then goes on solid as you put it. I have modulators installed in the UK and couldn't give a four x if it's legal or illegal (probably illegal) it gets me seen!
Banned

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:33 pm quote
That cap is sealed and waterproof, so no issue there.
I selected the 4x flash type for the brake light, that is the legal version for CA.
Hooked
1967 Vespa SS 180
Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:26 am quote
jridg wrote:
The Headlight modulator makes the headlight alternate between high and low beam during the day (thus the light sensor) - same purpose - to make you more noticeable
Aha....so if you enter a tunnell, it automaticly switch to high beam??

In bright sunlight, on highways I sometimes use the high beam to make me more visible, but in city I allways use low beam.
Banned

Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:21 am quote
Yes ASB, that's how it works. Once it gets dark, the modulation stops, and a solid high beam stays on, until I change to low beam.

Here in the USA (in CA, at least), it is legal (and recommended) to drive with high beams on during the day, to increase attention.

I like the color of your GT. I'm going to have mine repainted, and that cream is one of the colors I want (together with vintage green). Would you happen to have some bigger pictures of your bike, from a 3/4 angle, showing part of the glove box? I want to play in Photoshop to change colors before I have it done. I'll PM you. Thanks.
Banned

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 pm quote
Update on the light sensor for the headlight modulator.

Apparently, I damaged the wire by squeezing it between something when I put everything together. It lasted for two weeks and then died. Comagination replaced it for me and fixed the wire for a $10 cost--acceptable.

I now have the sensor facing up into the sky, still coming out of the grommet (I drilled a new hole). It is now positioned exactly behind the mirror stalk, because that's where there is free space underneath with no danger of squeezing it in anywhere when I have to remove the mirror again.

I can't stress enough the feeling that this headlight modulator is making all the difference between being seen and being hidden in traffic, for cagers who just look for other cars. I highly recommend it, whichever brand you want to go with.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 250ie ABS, 2006 Vin Rouge
Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:15 am quote
Comagination is linking to a review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/headlight-modulator/dual-modulator.htm which contains this video and I'd like to know if it looks the same on your Vespa. I'm not sure that sort of flashing would make me very popular in Paris...

The brakelight modulator is a great idea for sure, just need to find out how to buy one in France.
Banned

Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:19 pm quote
Mol wrote:
Comagination is linking to a review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/headlight-modulator/dual-modulator.htm which contains this video and I'd like to know if it looks the same on your Vespa.
Yes, that is how it looks on the Vespa. You can link it to the low beam or to the high beam - it will flash as long as it is bright enough, and go to a solid beam when it gets dark.

On the road, I don't care so much about being popular. I want to be seen.
If you link it to the high beam (recommended), then you can always switch to low beam if you are behind a person whom you don't want to flash at.
Hooked
Vespa GTS 250ie ABS, 2006 Vin Rouge
Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:40 am quote
Vacanze wrote:
On the road, I don't care so much about being popular. I want to be seen.
Fair point!
Vacanze wrote:
If you link it to the high beam (recommended), then you can always switch to low beam if you are behind a person whom you don't want to flash at.
That's a good idea. I would primarily want to use it when I'm in traffic jams and like the idea of being able to switch it on and off like that.
Molto Verboso
99 & 01 honda elite 50, 06 yamaha vino 125, 07 suzuki burgman 400 , 84 Aero 125, 05 Vespa LX 150, 2010 Honda Elite 110
Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:47 am quote
wires
I am wondering is vespa and piaggio have same color wires?? I have piaggio fly 150 and not sure which wire is for... going to add some led lights on fly
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1747s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0464s) ][ Debug on ]