LX150 Complete EVAP System Removal
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm quote
I don't have enough posts to have permission to make a wiki, so I'm posting this here. If you want, you may move this into a wiki.

Here is how I removed my EVAP system. It was easy, and took about 30 minutes. I now run much happier, and don't have to worry about vapor-lock, or flooding my air-filter.

Proceed at your own risk. I'm not saying this is the best way, it was just the way I did it. I'm not responsible for you breaking your scooter.

You will need:
Metric wrenches or sockets
1 Small hose clamp
1 Set of plastic hose connectors
1 set of vacuum plugs
Zip-Ties
New Foam Paint Brush (to make the cover for the evap-hose [c] inlet on the carburettor).
Scissors

Evap Removal

Diagram of LX150 Anti-EVAP System

The orange letters (A,B,C,D) are used in my photos to identify hoses, and to give the reader a point of reference.

*Note. On my 2007 LX150, The Vacuum Fuel Tap (#6) does not connect to hose A as the above diagram shows.

Instead, the Manifold Hose (Connecting the front of the carburetor to the manifold) has two nipples on it.

• 1 Hose connected to the Cannister (#5) via the Safety Valve (#4).
• 1 Hose, connected to the Vacuum Fuel Tap (#6)

To remove any hoses or components from hoses (With the exception of Hose C from the Carbuerator [#1]) you will have to remove the metal clamps from the hoses. To remove the clamps:

1. Put a small flathead screwdriver under the end of the clamp
2. Gently hit the end of screwdriver with a hammer
3. Twist the screwdriver to pop open the clamps

• Remove the pet carrier.

• Remove the two bolts that hold the Canister (#5). * Ensure there are no other clamps or ties holding the canister or the attached hoses.

• Slide canister down and carefully move into engine compartment. *Be careful not to disconnect any hoses while moving the canister.

• Remove hose A from canister
• Remove hose B from canister
• The canister can now be discarded or saved for future use.

• Remove the two bolts holding the Roll-Over Valve (#3) in place.

• Move Roll-Over Valve down, and into engine compartment.
• Disconnect hose B from the Roll-Over Valve.

• Carefully pull hose B out of engine compartment and store for later steps.

• Disconnect hose C from Carburetor (#1). *This hose should pull straight out.
• Save hose C for later use.

• Disconnect Hose D from the Roll-Over Valve.
• Disconnect Hose A from the Manifold Hose.
• Hose A (with the Safety Valve (# 4) on it) can now be discarded or saved for future use.

• I used a foam brush to make a filter for the hole on the Carburetor where I removed hose C from. *I saw this filter idea on modernvespa.com I can’t take credit for it.
• Cut the brush as show.
• Gently remove, being careful not to damage the new square section of foam.
• Cut a 2-3 Inch section off of hose C.
• Put the foam on one end of the hose you just cut, attach it with a hose clamp, or tight zip-tie.
• I sprayed a touch of filter oil on my finger, and dabbed it on the foam to help protect the carburetor.

• Attach the new hose/filter combo onto the carburetor where hose C was removed from.

• Plug the nipple on the exhaust hose (which hose A was removed from) with a Vacuum cap.
• Secure the cap with a hose clamp for added security.

• Insert a connecter into the end of hose D.

• Cut a long section of hose B, and attach it to hose D via the connecter.
• In the event of an over-fill or a tip over, fuel will come through this hose.

• Secure the newly lengthened hose D to the frame and route the hose to a safe place for gasoline to drain.
• I simply followed the frame down and secured the hose with zip-ties.

• Here is hose D, If I overfill my tank. Gas simply pours out onto the ground. Not my air filter.

• Take a moment to enjoy your newly de-EVAP systemed engine compartment.

-Brtoney[/b]
Ossessionato
'07 GTS-250ie "Silver"
Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am quote
Great to see so substantial a contribution from so new a member. Fine work indeed!
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Sat May 22, 2010 1:06 pm quote
Cincinnati John wrote:
Great to see so substantial a contribution from so new a member. Fine work indeed!
Thanks.
I know by looking at the many, many, many, threads discussing the leader 150 evap, that it's very common. I felt that if I was getting frustrated reading all those threads people must be tired of re-typing the same info.

Plus, I'm 2.5 hrs away from a Vespa service shop. So without all the info you people put up, I would be without a properly running scooter. I wanted to help the community out.

Anyway, Thanks for your thanks.

-Brett
2 Vintage 1 Modern
Sat May 22, 2010 8:32 pm quote
Very nice!
Hooked
vespa px210e
Sun May 23, 2010 12:01 pm quote
not being auto minded what does it do? cheers
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun May 23, 2010 3:42 pm quote
Gets rid of the Evap Crap that you guys have to suffer on all new bikes.
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Sun May 23, 2010 3:53 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Gets rid of the Evap Crap that you guys have to suffer on all new bikes.
I had just pulled out my air filter and cleaned it, when a cheap gas pump overfilled my tank onto my air filter. Now I have to pull all that chrome off, and clean it again.

That was the last straw for my evap system.
Lurker
lx 150 sky blue
Wed May 26, 2010 9:10 pm quote
Why?
I've had my LX 150 since Dec 2006, and the only problem I have had is the battery going dead. No cutting out, no loss of power going up or down hills (and that's all we have here outside Pittsburgh) no vapor lock no problems. I can never understand why people always want to disconnect the evap. I just don't get the whole "I don't need it around my parts" attitude. Then again I pay attention when I fill up my bike.
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 am quote
Re: Why?
Fjellanger wrote:
I've had my LX 150 since Dec 2006, and the only problem I have had is the battery going dead. No cutting out, no loss of power going up or down hills (and that's all we have here outside Pittsburgh) no vapor lock no problems. I can never understand why people always want to disconnect the evap. I just don't get the whole "I don't need it around my parts" attitude. Then again I pay attention when I fill up my bike.
I don't necessarily have a "i don't need it around my parts attitude", but it is a poorly designed system, that when combined with a malfunctioning gas pump, flooded my air filter with gas.
Hooked
LX 150
Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:36 pm quote
Outstanding!!!
Your instructions are so easy to follow even I did it in an hour.

In Calif. there is pending legislation to emission check every 2 years all motorcycles over 200cc. This makes it perfect for an LX 150. This legislation appears every few years so maybe someday you may need those parts if you alter a larger bike..
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 am quote
Re: Outstanding!!!
Defendo007 wrote:
Your instructions are so easy to follow even I did it in an hour.

In Calif. there is pending legislation to emission check every 2 years all motorcycles over 200cc. This makes it perfect for an LX 150. This legislation appears every few years so maybe someday you may need those parts if you alter a larger bike..
I'm really glad that you found it useful. Thanks for your feedback! It's greatly appreciated.
Hooked
2005 ET4
Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:01 am quote
Do you think this is pretty much the same as on the 2005 ET4?? I'm hoping since I would like to do something like this over the weekend.
Hooked
GTS 250 i.e. "Silver Bullet"
Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 am quote
I would think it is almost exactly the same. The location of a few bits might be different, but for the most part it should be the same.
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:44 am quote
Max Slaine wrote:
Do you think this is pretty much the same as on the 2005 ET4?? I'm hoping since I would like to do something like this over the weekend.
The lx and et4 both have the leader 150 engine. I'm pretty sure once you get in there everything will be almost exactly the same. Maybe a different color tube, or as the other poster said, a bolt in a slightly different spot.
Hooked
PX, 1960 150, scrap heaps
Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:19 pm quote
Nice write up.

I left to components on the scoot and just disconnected the two main hoses. In part because I am lazy, and if someone wants to hook it back up in the future, it will be easy.

My first modern 150 had no troubles with the evap. The second scoot's evap has been annoying from day one. Guess I was luck the first time.
Vespa LX150
Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:56 pm quote
Re: LX150 Complete EVAP System Removal
Quick question - did you remove your roll-over valve? It appears so, but I didn't see that verbiage stated in your description.

Cheers,
ChimChim

Btw, I just removed the EVAP hose (C) and plugged the hose with a vacuum cap. I also attached a 3/16" ID fuel line to the carb and used your filter idea. Also, my 2009 LX 150 EVAP struture is very different than yours. My wife's ET4 mirrors your set-up.

Hugely excessive over-quote removed. jimc
Enthusiast
Fly 150
Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:59 pm quote
Thanks for the great effort
That took a lot of time and effort to give us such great info on the evap problem - it printed out and added to my file.
Many thanks for the effort...I now feel safe to solve the problem should it arise.
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:05 pm quote
Re: LX150 Complete EVAP System Removal
mod-chimchim wrote:
Quick question - did you remove your roll-over valve? It appears so, but I didn't see that verbiage stated in your description.

Cheers,
ChimChim

Hugely excessive over-quote removed. jimc
Yes, I took the roll-over valve off. I wasn't sure of it's condition, and It was only causing worry that it might fault and cause a pressure build-up in the tank.

If I knew it was like new, I would have left the valve in place.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you!
Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:21 pm quote
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to post it.
2006 LX 150
Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:52 am quote
Took evap out a year ago
Been running awesome, just curious on what the maintenance is on the paint brush filter. I dabbed a little air filter oil on it about a year ago when I took out evap.
Enthusiast
2007 lx150
Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:07 am quote
I rinsed and re-oiled mine the following spring...
Molto Verboso
09 190s taormina
Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 am quote
Foam not really needed, port is vent only. Factory piece for ROW is short elbow.

factory "Euro" carb hose elbow for evap disconnect
Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:02 pm quote
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is this mod needed on the new fuel injected vespas? What happens to gas overflow if the tank is filled too high on a 2013 LX150?
Molto Verboso
09 190s taormina
Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:19 am quote
chirpy wrote:
needed on the new fuel injected vespas?
Not needed. Doesn't stop people from doing it though.

Recommendation: until you have an issue (and you won't) leave it alone.
Enthusiast
2x 2018 Piaggio Liberty S 150
Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:58 pm quote
Will probably do this mod on the '08 LX150 my wife just bought, but I have a question (technically 2). In the original post, the poster calls for:
OP wrote:
1 Set of plastic hose connectors
1 set of vacuum plugs
Where does one get these? Do they come in different sizes, etc? Just want to make sure I have the right items at hand.
Molto Verboso
09 190s taormina
Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:44 am quote
47909Rider wrote:
Where does one get these? Do they come in different sizes, etc?
Auto parts.

Yeah, different sizes, take the hose from fitting you want to plug to match.

Don't need the hose connector. And recommend leaving rollover valve in place. In event of crash steel body = sparks. Adding a fuel spill might not be pretty.
Enthusiast
2x 2018 Piaggio Liberty S 150
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:11 pm quote
bluecloud wrote:
Don't need the hose connector.
Then how would you lengthen "hose D" in order to route it down to the bottom of the frame?
Quote:
And recommend leaving rollover valve in place.
Hmm, these instructions have everything removed from that valve, so... I'm not sure how to adjust the instructions to leave the valve. Heh.
Lurker
ET4
Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:07 pm quote
Land of 10,000 Scoots Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.1275s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0410s) ][ Debug on ]