@kevin avatar
UTC

Addicted
2005 GT200

Addicted
@kevin avatar
2005 GT200
UTC quote
This question is for anyone who has ordered from Wheelup.it (http://www.wheelup.it), or who has experience ordering products from outside the US (because I don't).

I had two Termoscud lap/leg covers delivered a couple weeks ago from Wheelup (I love it). After conversion from Euros, and including shipping, the cost was $90 each for Barkley and me. Yesterday I got an invoice from Fedex for taxes and duties for $58.

Is this pretty standard? It ups the cost by nearly 33%!

Thanks.

Kevin
⚠️ Last edited by Kevin on UTC; edited 1 time
@wasp avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS250 vintage red

Hooked
@wasp avatar
GTS250 vintage red
UTC quote
I notice a lot of scotter sites do not sell outside of Europe, which is too bad since they're prices seem so good. Duties might explain why the Vespa top case equates to about $150 US if you bought through them vs $350 from the US vespa retailers? Why are Vespa parts so much more expensive when purchase here vs there?
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I've bought a few car parts/accessories from a dealership in the U.K. The last box was sort of long and narrow, about three feet long and maybe one foot tall/six inches deep and weighed about ten pounds. I usually request regular mail and the items are posted in the Royal Mail and delivered by the US Postal Service. It's usually pretty simple and uneventful. I don't like dealing with freight companies so request USPS whenever practical.

My Mom shipped me a large, heavy trunk by air freight from Africa, and that was a huge hassle. Had to drive to the airport office of the freight company (I think it was UPS or DHL) and get papers, take those papers to the Customs office, then go back & get the trunk. It cost a small fortune, IIRC.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster
UTC quote
Kevin, I don't think that is standard unless you purchased for resale. When I ordered from them I received a call from FedEx letting me know my package was in the US and scheduled for delivery the next day, but they had some questions before they could make the delivery. They wanted to know what was in the box and wheather it was for my personal use or for resale. I told them what it was and for me. I was kind of grilled because they didn't know what it was (Lap apron, handlebar muffs and a balacava). I asked why they needed to know this and they told me there was duty on goods intended for non-personal use.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
I had the same experience after organizing a group buy for Termoscud lap robes from www.wheelup.it Two factors were at work-- a new Homeland Security rule requiring the manufacturer's address [as in the factory in China]. The other was the customs duty, which I hadn't anticipated. I talked to a number of FedEx folks who made it clear this was non-negotiable.

Not sure if it would be worth contesting the 'personal use' rule when a number of folks are splitting shipping. The charges almost all go the the gov't, not to FedEx.

I don't think you can specify a different shipper with Wheelup, but I'd bet that these days the same scenario would apply with the USPS.
@sean avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others

Hooked
@sean avatar
Vespa GTS Super 300 many others
UTC quote
I had ordered two suits and three shirts from a shop in italy and the package had gift written all over it so that I didn't have to pay any customs duty on the items. Maybe that's what a lot of overseas shops should do or what you can recommend to them when you order.

Sean
@e_w_y avatar
UTC

Piaggio LT150

@e_w_y avatar
Piaggio LT150
UTC quote
i ordered a lap apron from wheelup as well and don't recall getting fedex invoice for customs/dutie. i did, however, get charged by my credit card company for buying something internationally.....

on the flip side, when i ordered a nice espresso machine from italy, i got a fedex customs/dutie invoice for that item.
@pdxvespa avatar
UTC

Modératrice
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4

Modératrice
@pdxvespa avatar
2005 Cobalt Blue ET4
UTC quote
Sean wrote:
I had ordered two suits and three shirts from a shop in italy and the package had gift written all over it so that I didn't have to pay any customs duty on the items.
TPIWWP! (pix! pix!)
Don't tease up like this, Sean-- strike a pose for us.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
When I ordered my Termoscud, I got a phone call from Fedex on day 2 of shipping, confirmed my 'scud was for personal use, and received the 'scud on day 3.

I'm lucky I was home for that call -- Wheelup didn't mention it was coming, a good reason to give a cell phone number to Wheelup... and then anticate that call.
UTC

Enthusiast
GT250

Enthusiast
GT250
UTC quote
same here - I ordered from wheelup.it a termoscud and handlebar muffs...no duty or tax for me....that was 1.5 years ago.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0692s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0378s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]