SanFrancisco-Modesto via Skyline,MtHamilton,DelPuertoCanyon.
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
GTS 300 Super
Sat May 22, 2010 2:55 pm quote
Last weekend I took Friday and Monday off to travel south from San Francisco to San Jose and then East over Mt Hamilton , into Del Puerto Canyon. It was about 160 miles. Due to bad weather Monday I came back Sunday. Before the ride , I got a huge amount of advice on this thread:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic65410?highlight=modesto . Thanks to all. I took a route similar to the second one posted on the thread.

a1.jpg
After the 280, I got on to Skyline where this photo was taken. Skyline was very foggy early on, so I put on a high visibility vest for the section before Alice's Restaurant.

a2.jpg
This is Quimby road, a narrow windy road that was great fun to ride.

a3.jpg
Quimby road again.

b1.jpg
View of San Jose from Quimby

b2.jpg
Going up Mt Hamilton. Great Weather , not one on the road.

b3.jpg
Looking down from the James Lick Observatory car park at the roads I came up. I did the tour in the Observatory and it was worth the stop.

c1.jpg
This is the other side of Mt Hamilton. I took this on Sunday on my way back.

c2.jpg
Other side of Mt Hamilton again on Sunday. There was more traffic on Sunday,but still light. I saw deer around this point on Friday.

d1.jpg
Meadow area when I came down a bit in altitude.

d2.jpg
I stopped here because there was a bald eagle on the left edge. He lifted off and tried to scoop something from the pond. Further down the road there we boar, about a dozen.

e1.jpg
This is Del Puerto Canyon.

e3.jpg
Another shot in Del Puerto Canyon.

e4.jpg
In Modesto, I grabbed a Root Beer Float at A&W and thought about American Graffiti.

Molto Verboso
Current: 2004 GT 200 & 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200
Sun May 23, 2010 1:05 pm quote
friggin' awesome!
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see. That canyon looks great. All in all, I'd say you made good use of your PTO.
Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy
Mon May 24, 2010 6:40 am quote
Did you see the elk in San Antonio Valley, on the back side of Mt. Hamilton? They are huge and just wandering around.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 am quote
One of my favorite rides. Thanks for posting!
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon May 24, 2010 7:33 am quote
cipote wrote:
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see.
You've been riding for a bazillion years and you haven't seen Mt. Hamilton yet? Oh, you're missing out.
Molto Verboso
Current: 2004 GT 200 & 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200
Mon May 24, 2010 6:46 pm quote
jess wrote:
cipote wrote:
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see.
You've been riding for a bazillion years and you haven't seen Mt. Hamilton yet? Oh, you're missing out.
It's sad, but I guess I'm just a North & East Bay guy. One of these days I want to do the 3 peak challenge thingy
GTS 300 Super
Mon May 24, 2010 7:59 pm quote
[quote="paige"]Did you see the elk in San Antonio Valley, on the back side of Mt. Hamilton? They are huge and just wandering around.[/quote]

Unfortunately no elk sighting. I stopped at The Junction on the way, and chatted with the owner. He told me to watch for Elk. I mentioned the eagle and he told me there was a pair in the area. The eagle up close was massive.

One last thing, I'm on at&t wireless and had no coverage from Mt Hamilton summit (and I don't know about the ascent) to almost the end of the canyon, so factor that in. That said, on the Sunday there was loads of very friendly MC traffic, and when I stopped and had the seat up, I got waved at to see if I was ok.
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> Ride Reports
[ Time: 0.2748s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0588s) ][ Debug on ]