OP
UTC

GTS 300 Super

GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
Last weekend I took Friday and Monday off to travel south from San Francisco to San Jose and then East over Mt Hamilton , into Del Puerto Canyon. It was about 160 miles. Due to bad weather Monday I came back Sunday. Before the ride , I got a huge amount of advice on this thread:
https://modernvespa.com/forum/topic65410?highlight=modesto . Thanks to all. I took a route similar to the second one posted on the thread.
After the 280, I got on to Skyline where this photo was taken. Skyline was very foggy early on, so I put on a high visibility vest for the section before Alice's Restaurant.
After the 280, I got on to Skyline where this photo was taken. Skyline was very foggy early on, so I put on a high visibility vest for the section before Alice's Restaurant.
This is Quimby road, a narrow windy road that was great fun to ride.
This is Quimby road, a narrow windy road that was great fun to ride.
Quimby road again.
Quimby road again.
View of San Jose from Quimby
View of San Jose from Quimby
Going up Mt Hamilton. Great Weather , not one on the road.
Going up Mt Hamilton. Great Weather , not one on the road.
Looking down from the James Lick Observatory car park at the roads I came up. I did the tour in the Observatory and it was worth the stop.
Looking down from the James Lick Observatory car park at the roads I came up. I did the tour in the Observatory and it was worth the stop.
This is the other side of  Mt Hamilton. I took this on Sunday on my way back.
This is the other side of Mt Hamilton. I took this on Sunday on my way back.
Other side of Mt Hamilton again on Sunday. There was more traffic on Sunday,but still light. I saw deer around this point on Friday.
Other side of Mt Hamilton again on Sunday. There was more traffic on Sunday,but still light. I saw deer around this point on Friday.
Meadow area when I came down a bit in altitude.
Meadow area when I came down a bit in altitude.
I stopped here because there was a bald eagle on the left edge. He lifted off and tried to scoop something from the pond. Further down the road there we boar, about a dozen.
I stopped here because there was a bald eagle on the left edge. He lifted off and tried to scoop something from the pond. Further down the road there we boar, about a dozen.
This is Del Puerto Canyon.
This is Del Puerto Canyon.
Another shot in Del Puerto Canyon.
Another shot in Del Puerto Canyon.
In Modesto, I grabbed a Root Beer Float at A&W and thought about American Graffiti.
In Modesto, I grabbed a Root Beer Float at A&W and thought about American Graffiti.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Current: 1976 150 Sprint V Previous: VS5 GS 150, 1974 Rally 200, 2005 GT 200

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
UTC quote
friggin' awesome!
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see. That canyon looks great. All in all, I'd say you made good use of your PTO.
@paige avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy

Molto Verboso
@paige avatar
LX150, MP3, Buddy
UTC quote
Did you see the elk in San Antonio Valley, on the back side of Mt. Hamilton? They are huge and just wandering around.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
One of my favorite rides. Thanks for posting!
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
cipote wrote:
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see.
You've been riding for a bazillion years and you haven't seen Mt. Hamilton yet? Oh, you're missing out.
@cipote avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@cipote avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
cipote wrote:
I need to hit Mt Hamilton, it's the last of the big 3 in the area for me to see.
You've been riding for a bazillion years and you haven't seen Mt. Hamilton yet? Oh, you're missing out.
It's sad, but I guess I'm just a North & East Bay guy. One of these days I want to do the 3 peak challenge thingy
OP
UTC

GTS 300 Super

GTS 300 Super
UTC quote
[quote="paige"]Did you see the elk in San Antonio Valley, on the back side of Mt. Hamilton? They are huge and just wandering around.[/quote]

Unfortunately no elk sighting. I stopped at The Junction on the way, and chatted with the owner. He told me to watch for Elk. I mentioned the eagle and he told me there was a pair in the area. The eagle up close was massive.

One last thing, I'm on at&t wireless and had no coverage from Mt Hamilton summit (and I don't know about the ascent) to almost the end of the canyon, so factor that in. That said, on the Sunday there was loads of very friendly MC traffic, and when I stopped and had the seat up, I got waved at to see if I was ok.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0646s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0348s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]