Bitubos are here Edit: up date 6/1/10 installed
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am quote
Traxxion dynamics just called and my shocks are here WHOO HOO. Dan said I'll have them tommorrow WHAAAAAA:cry: . I am leaving at 7 am to meet Fuzzy up in the smokies for some Blue Ridge riding. So I won't get them on till next week

Last edited by old as dirt on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banned
MP3 500
Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm quote
Re: Bitubos are here
old as dirt wrote:
Traxxion dynamics just called and my shocks are here WHOO HOO. Dan said I'll have them tommorrow WHAAAAAA:cry: . I am leaving at 7 am to meet Fuzzy up in the smokies for some Blue Ridge riding. So I won't get them on till next week
Ok, on my way to Tenn to pick up a set of shocks that will be sitting at OAD's door
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm quote
Re: Bitubos are here
StooterBoy wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Ok, on my way to Tenn to pick up a set of shocks that will be sitting at OAD's door
just look for the big red barn.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 pm quote
Let us know how you like them Doug. Great looking shock!
Hooked
mp3 500
Thu May 27, 2010 8:27 pm quote
Just looked on their web site and did not see mp3. Are the custom? More info please as a want better shocks on my own 500.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 am quote
Chaos 101 wrote:
Just looked on their web site and did not see mp3. Are the custom? More info please as a want better shocks on my own 500.
no they are not custom but they are specific to the scoot. You have to look for the Gilera fuoco as that is the same as the MP3 500. Or just call Dan at Traxxion Dynmaics (just outside Atlanta) the Us distributor at 770-592-3823 and he can tell you all about them. They set up AMA Pro road race bikes for some of the riders like Cory West. so they know what they are doing. Tell him The guy from Kingston, Tn sent you.
Ossessionato
Scarabeo 500GT(hers), `07 250 MP3, `09 400 MP3
Fri May 28, 2010 12:36 pm quote
Sorry to put a damper on things....but Bitubo shocks, fork cartridges/springs do not have a good reputation for durability on Moto Guzzi MCs.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco
Sat May 29, 2010 2:38 am quote
OAD, welcome to the Bitubo club!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat May 29, 2010 11:38 am quote
norCal Randy wrote:
Sorry to put a damper on things....but Bitubo shocks, fork cartridges/springs do not have a good reputation for durability on Moto Guzzi MCs.
Randy I don't have a Guzzi yet. The guys at Traxxion have already pre set them for my weight and normal gear to include what I usually carry with.They should be set really close, I'll just have to do some very minor damping adjustments for personal feel. These guys do mostly racing suspensions so they know what they are doing. I would suspect the guys who haven't liked them have never set them up right to begin with, then are all over the scale trying to get them to come in for them.
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Mon May 31, 2010 7:07 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
norCal Randy wrote:
Randy I don't have a Guzzi yet. The guys at Traxxion have already pre set them for my weight and normal gear to include what I usually carry with.They should be set really close, I'll just have to do some very minor damping adjustments for personal feel. These guys do mostly racing suspensions so they know what they are doing. I would suspect the guys who haven't liked them have never set them up right to begin with, then are all over the scale trying to get them to come in for them.
Yeah, cos you need new suspension...it might help all those sloppy lines I saw on the Dragon by you . Seriously though, can't wait to see them on.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon May 31, 2010 9:56 am quote
OAD no pic's yet ????
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Mon May 31, 2010 10:10 am quote
Maksor wrote:
OAD no pic's yet ????
He left to early Friday to get them to ride in the Blueridge Mountains, got home Saturday afternoon and today is U.S. holiday, Memorial Day so he does not have them yet.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Mon May 31, 2010 10:18 am quote
oke
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Mon May 31, 2010 11:30 am quote
UPS says delivery tomm. 6/1
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:16 pm quote
here are some pics now I am going thru the preload Sag adjustments and have it at 13mm difference. Book calls for 10mm + or - 3 So I am really close Will have to do some test riding and see how they feel then I can adjust the rebound from soft to hard. on the shock itself.

044.JPG
old shocks

051.JPG
new in the box

054.JPG
installed

Addicted
MP3 500 (no - longer); 2008 Victory Vision (gone), 2012 Goldwing (gone), 2019 Wee-Strom
Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:39 pm quote
I thought you were getting red shocks. Why did I think that?

Let us know how they ride.
Banned
MP3 500
Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:44 pm quote
His options were Black or Chrome I thought.
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 pm quote
i was thinking the same "red"???
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:21 am quote
I wanted red as my first choice but they couldn't do that, so black it is.
Hooked
Fuoco 500ie SOLD
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 am quote
OAD - did you notice in the leaflet that came with the shocks that it said "They come ready adjusted for pre-load for the specific bike" or words to that meaning. I measured the sag as they arrived from the factory and it was 6mm. I adjusted to the recomended 10mm and then reverted back to the factory setting as I found that better. I have the rebound set at number 5
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:33 am quote
Soeley wrote:
OAD - did you notice in the leaflet that came with the shocks that it said "They come ready adjusted for pre-load for the specific bike" or words to that meaning. I measured the sag as they arrived from the factory and it was 6mm. I adjusted to the recomended 10mm and then reverted back to the factory setting as I found that better. I have the rebound set at number 5
I did see that and I also adjusted them myself for the sag so I will try them out this weekend. Did you measure unsprung on the center stand then off the center stand and your weight on?
Hooked
Fuoco 500ie SOLD
Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:33 am quote
No I just measured it on the center stand then off the stand, just to measure the sag of the bike weight only. I did wonder how this factory setting took into account the weight range of varying riders?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:26 am quote
just came back from a 25 mile test ride. The first 12 miles I rode with the rebound in the softest setting and it was good, then I bumped it to the med #3 and it was much better thru the corners and bumps in the corners. I will have to take a ride to the mountains and do some serious twistys and play some more with te settings. Compare to stock shocks I normally had set to the next to highest preload #3 the Bitubos are much better. The feel thru the corners doesn't have that mush compression feeling like the stock does when going pretty good pace. The adjustablity is a whole lot more as you can adjust the spring and the shock depending on the load your carrying and the way you like to corner.
Molto Verboso
Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:49 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
just came back from a 25 mile test ride. The first 12 miles I rode with the rebound in the softest setting and it was good, then I bumped it to the med #3 and it was much better thru the corners and bumps in the corners. I will have to take a ride to the mountains and do some serious twistys and play some more with te settings. Compare to stock shocks I normally had set to the next to highest preload #3 the Bitubos are much better. The feel thru the corners doesn't have that mush compression feeling like the stock does when going pretty good pace. The adjustablity is a whole lot more as you can adjust the spring and the shock depending on the load your carrying and the way you like to corner.
You got the shocks all you need now is the car tire.Hey you wanna ride like a cadillac dont you? You know you want to.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:18 pm quote
Scootover wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
You got the shocks all you need now is the car tire.Hey you wanna ride like a cadillac dont you? You know you want to.
a big nope. no mushy feelings here. I like sport riding and rear tires get replaced sooner than most, cause I chose not to go into the wear bars.
Enthusiast
2009 MP3 500
Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am quote
I can confirm Old As Dirt likes (loves) sport riding. You should have seen him riding The Dragon. He was taking some mean corners
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:39 pm quote
just did a hundred mile test ride thru some nice curves then easy twistys also found some rough road to test out the shocks. The results are in and after the commercial break we will let you know.
Have you been feeling down, do you need a pick me up kids got you running on the ragged edge all the time. Well throw all that crap out the window and take a vacation then to the nearest island and let the bar tender know you'll be there all week and don't run out of your favorite cocktail.
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

As I was saying the shocks performed great. Those pesky little bumps on each side of bridges just soaked right up and smoothed out. Running thru sweeping corners was very nice the rear end stuck very well. going thru the easy twistys the rear end stayed put and didn't feel like mush. On the stock shocks I was at the 3rd hardest setting for just riding by myself and the hardest if I packed any gear on for camping and whatnot. The bitubos have alot more adjustments for any extra weight and the shock rebound is easy to adjust for the cushyness of the ride you like.

Hope this helps some of you if you on the fence on getting a set.
Banned
MP3 500
Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:06 pm quote
Damn you, you are going to get me in trouble man

Think one of my shocks might start leaking soon and I will tell the wife they have to be replaced right away or oil may get on the tire.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:18 pm quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Damn you, you are going to get me in trouble man

Think one of my shocks might start leaking soon and I will tell the wife they have to be replaced right away or oil may get on the tire.
is that an oil film I see on the shock piston?
Hooked
2007 Gilera Fuoco 500ie, 2005 Piaggio X9 Evolution 500ie
Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:12 pm quote
What weight are you OAD?
I'm 200lbs geared up and have got my Fuoco at softest preload, but find it's quite a bumpy ride on regular roads.
The scooter seating bend in the legs means I can't easily take load with my legs over known bumpy sections, so I sit through it like a jackhammer session.

I just came from riding a '99 TRX850 that was initially rock hard for a harder rider, but I was able to back off the front and rear preload and dampening to near softest, and got a comfortable ride, that felt much easier to ride to me because it wasn't ramming me out of the seat like a big boot up my arse on every bump.

Someone suggested in a thread the Bitubo rear would only be for a firmer option... can you say how much softer dampening is possible than stock? Did they include a spec sheet that we could compare apples with apples somehow?

I had bought a Bitubo rear on my '98 TL1000S, if it is anything like that I also had a good range of adjustment to the softer side, though so did the factory rotary damper. It was a good value unit compared to the Ohlins or Penske options.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 am quote
deepfraught, some of us have been confused by the manual's pictures of the shock sertting and initially got it backwards. Make sure you are on the low setting not the high setting. You can search for some old threads for clarification.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:52 am quote
So bottom line, the normal hard bumps like road seams are a lot better? Hate to spend that much with little improvement.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:32 am quote
yes the bumps I used to feel with the stock shock are now absorbed with the bitubos.

Stock shocks can only adjust 4 positions on the spring rate- which is for how much load rating on the scoot.
Bitubos can adjust through out the range of the spring as they use a threaded ring to adjust. It is alos at the top of the shock so adjusting them is alot easier also you wont burn you hands near the exhaust.

Stock shock has no adjustment for the rebound damping of the shock itself
Bitubos have a scale of 1 being the softest to 5 being the firmest but you can set them anywhere in that range as they also are not notched. like rotating a light dimmer knob it is fully variable within that range. This adjustment is for the soft to firmness performance of the shocks.

edit forgot to add I weigh 190 lbs plus gear
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:42 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
Stock shock has no adjustment for the rebound damping of the shock itself Bitubos have a scale of 1 being the softest to 5 being the firmest but you can set them anywhere in that range as they also are not notched. like rotating a light dimmer knob it is fully variable within that range. This adjustment is for the soft to firmness performance of the shocks.
Basically it's a valve that controls how fast the fluid can return to the chamber - pretty normal for performance shocks. Do the springs act progressive?
Banned
MP3 500
Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 am quote
I think I did read they had progressive springs.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:12 am quote
BubbaJon wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
Stock shock has no adjustment for the rebound damping of the shock itself Bitubos have a scale of 1 being the softest to 5 being the firmest but you can set them anywhere in that range as they also are not notched. like rotating a light dimmer knob it is fully variable within that range. This adjustment is for the soft to firmness performance of the shocks.
Basically it's a valve that controls how fast the fluid can return to the chamber - pretty normal for performance shocks. Do the springs act progressive?
yes look at the pic of them and you can see the top portion of the spring has more windings then get larger as they go down.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
yes look at the pic of them and you can see the top portion of the spring has more windings then get larger as they go down.
LOL - note I asked "do they act progressive". I've had some (auto) where the tighter wind was bogus as they added nothing to the rate - or they started at some ridiculous compression you could never attain.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:09 am quote
BubbaJon wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
BubbaJon wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
LOL - note I asked "do they act progressive". I've had some (auto) where the tighter wind was bogus as they added nothing to the rate - or they started at some ridiculous compression you could never attain.
I haven't added more gear on as of right now just been riding me only. When I hand push down on the rear they feel like they get stiffer the more I push, So I would say yes they act progessively.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 08
Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:17 am quote
Now we can add my name to this list, just ordered a pair. The concreate seams up here kill me with the "thump thump thump"! Hope this cures it.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:03 pm quote
G03 wrote:
Now we can add my name to this list, just ordered a pair. The concreate seams up here kill me with the "thump thump thump"! Hope this cures it.
congrats post some pics when you get them.
Rallies Europe 2016   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.2442s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0622s) ][ Debug on ]