What is your best mod?
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 1234Next
Enthusiast
mp3 400
Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:25 pm quote
Was recently asked what I felt was the best changes I made to improve my 400. I believe. it is the addition of: Foot Pegs (Thanks Jeff), Kuryakyn Grips, Utopia Back Rest and the Mirror extentions.
Would be interesting to hear what mods you made that improved your ride.

008.JPG
Foot Pegs

006.JPG
Grips

007.JPG
Grips

003.JPG
Utopia Back Rest

004.JPG
Note Bag included with the Back Rest

Molto Verboso
She's an I-talian $$-burning machine
Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 pm quote
For [MP3 500] A must, in my opinion.
LED taillights, and I mean it!

Enthusiast
mp3 400
Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:15 pm quote
Re: For [MP3 500] A must, in my opinion.
Yeah I sure agree, would like to have brighter back Lights on the 400, but am told there is no replacement LED bulbs for the OEM bulbs.
Ossessionato
Mp3 500
Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 pm quote
No doubt, Saeng mirrors--they give you a full spectrum view with no blind spots when you angle them along with the stock mirrors. I literally hate to ride a bike without them. Once you use them you realize there is a huge blind spot in the stock mirrors.

saeng2_564.jpg

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:11 am quote
For me i think its the Rapid Bike and at the second place the front-end

Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:11 am quote
Hands down, replacement horn. In my case, my lazy-ass horn that didn't require rewiring or a relay, but is only as loud as a typical motorcycle horn - in other words, still much louder than the Piaggio stock horn, which is downright dangerous and quite possibly illegal in some jurisdictions. You can wuss out and go with a 4 amp replacement that merely increases your safety, or do a more significant upgrade to the electrical system and install a 10 amp air horn that will vaporize Mini Coopers cutting you off, but either way: horn, horn, horn.

img_0159_178.jpg
As per my "Louder + No Relay = Winner" thread.

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:51 am quote
Tough Call
Best mod is a really tough call! I have performed many (see link in my signature) and find value in all of them.

If I had to narrow it down a little I'd have to say the UFPs and footpegs from rjeffb, along with just added passenger footpad heel stops I made, are a great addition for two-up riding and the best comfort mod; the J Costa variator is absolutely the best performance mod; the major electrical and lighting rework (all LED tail and turn signals, added lights, horn, fuseblock, outlet, etc.) best operational mod; modulated headlights and brakelight best safety mod; adding dielectric grease and sealing all connections best long-term maintenance mod (OK, not really a mod, but a mod-like effort...)l and those awesome LED taillights (like sushi shows above) are the best visual mod.

Thanks to this great forum and all its members for all the input and idea sharing that have allowed me to better enjoy my scooter, both in riding and improving her through mods and enhancements!
Molto Verboso
Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:24 pm quote
Richard @ High-Gain Tuning just added those LED taillights as a regular item, so now y'all could order directly off his site!

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:16 pm quote
sushiman007 wrote:
Richard @ High-Gain Tuning just added those LED taillights as a regular item, so now y'all could order directly off his site!
They are ~~too cool!!~~ I get great comments on 'em a lot, but I like that they are so much easier to see by those behind me, adding to my conspicuity / safety factor. Thanks for helping blaze that trail!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:30 pm quote
sushiman007 wrote:
Richard @ High-Gain Tuning just added those LED taillights as a regular item, so now y'all could order directly off his site
just placed my order thanks for posting this.
Molto Verboso
Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:48 pm quote
Sometimes I wish Piaggio would just make'em like this...
Glad to help, guys!
(*wiring hint)
Lurker
Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:38 pm quote
Hi people, nice to write you.

Nice mods all of them.
I have a question to John g, I like very much your grips but I do not realize what is the end part for. I mean, it has "something" at the end, like a flat part and I do not know if it has any special function or just decorative.

I hope you understand me. Sorry for my poor english.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 250
Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00 pm quote
The "paddle" on the end of the throttle grip helps you maintain higher speeds without the hand cramps/fatigue associated with gripping the throttle tightly to keep it turned continuously to the higher speed you want. You just rest your outside palm (under the pinky) on that paddle and let your hand's natural weight and placement keep you at the speed you want. The left grip paddle doesn't do any thing and is merely there to provide a balanced look to the handlebars, both right and left.
Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:22 am quote
J Costa and HIT clutch.

Stebel horn.

Throttlemeister on long trips.

Amp and speakers when riding around town. (I use them with a Zen.)

Seat cut down.

Replaced amber reflectors on side with amber running/turn signal LED bars (3 wire).

Hardwired the GPS.

Added electrical panel for sound system, front 12v plug, GPS.
MP3 LT 400
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:38 am quote
Maksor wrote:
For me i think its the Rapid Bike and at the second place the front-end

id would like to do this to my mp3 400 lt. must be Very costly. as i have no idea how to do such thing
Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:53 am quote
+/- 800 euro incl paint i made a topic where you can find the parts that you need

and it is a bolt off bolt on job you only needs basic tools
Molto Verboso
Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:25 am quote
jerryw,

"Best", usually means one, the most, the greatest.
Hooked
Gilera Fuoco
Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:59 am quote
lighter rollers, replacing stock 500cc ones
Ossessionato
R.I.P. ----K.I.T.T.500, Agent Orange (400)
Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:30 am quote
Installed Blue Sea Fuse box in center hood...I call this one my best, because it made all my other mods plug n' play

fusebox.JPG

Enthusiast
mp3 400
Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 pm quote
sisachosudo wrote:
Hi people, nice to write you.

Nice mods all of them.
I have a question to John g, I like very much your grips but I do not realize what is the end part for. I mean, it has "something" at the end, like a flat part and I do not know if it has any special function or just decorative.

I hope you understand me. Sorry for my poor english.
Maxi Rose is right on. The paddles do a great job suporting your hands. The left side is there strictly for supoort. Note that the paddles on both sides can be adjusted to give the most comfortable position. These grips and paddles are a little costly but I think they well worth for the comfort they provide.
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:44 pm quote
I've posted this elsewhere but it is my favourite

mymod1.jpg

My Mod2.jpg

mymod3.jpg

Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:44 pm quote
Fay Presto wrote:
I've posted this elsewhere but it is my favourite
I like that! Pretty ingenious!
I will use that to keep my backpack from coming loose from that unreliable plastic split-ring-clip-thingie in the middle. Thanks!
Bracketmeister
Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:14 pm quote
Okay, that's it! I DEMAND that either somebody post a thread about those LED taillights, including installation instructions and photos, or somebody immediately tell me what an idiot I am and point out that I recently missed the thread where somebody already did it!

I want those lights! (Um, if they're not too much trouble to install...)

P.S. Love those nails, Fay
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:45 pm quote
rjeffb
O.K. "Don't get your panties in a bunch".
Try this german Fuoco 500
Addicted
MP3 250
Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:07 pm quote
Beer Keg

330 mile non-stop bike

Molto Verboso
Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:39 pm quote
Re: rjeffb
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
You could lead a horse to water, but ...

Maroy,
You might wanna get off and stretch your legs every hour or so. And, just curious...
Do you find it kinda top-heavy after each fill-up?
(Sorry, I didn't get to talk to you in San Antonio.)
Bracketmeister
Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 pm quote
Maynard Schweigert wrote:
OK, so I'm an idiot!

Gonna start examining that. Hey, there was a discussion a while back about plug-n-play LED SIGNAL REPLACEMENTS - was there ever a consensus about the winner? (I recall that the ones that were looked at were limited in brightness increase due to the room available inside the reflector)
Ossessionato
MP3 Sold
Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:52 pm quote
Here's mine.......

DSCF0469.JPG
Vinyl press/remove Decals

Addicted
MP3-250 Tiger 1050 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:20 am quote
I'd have to say the Givi windscreen had the greatest impact on performance for me, getting the wind off my chest allowed for a higher top speed.
Ossessionato
Red MP3 500 RUBY DRAGON
Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:43 am quote
If I know where I'm going, the JCosta.
If I don't Know where I'm going, the GPS.
If it is cold the windscreen and hand guards.

I consider the other mods I made corrections to a design flaw.
Molto Verboso
Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:54 am quote
Zinfan wrote:
I'd have to say the Givi windscreen had the greatest impact on performance for me, getting the wind off my chest allowed for a higher top speed.
Boy, that must be some seriously hairy chest!?

Molto Verboso
MP3 500, Honda PCX
Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:29 pm quote
It depends on what I'm doing, sushiman007. At 75 on the highway my sound system has no use. At 30 in town it is the best. I love all my mods.
Addicted
MP3 250
Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:21 pm quote
sushiman007 wrote:
You might wanna get off and stretch your legs every hour or so. And, just curious...
Do you find it kinda top-heavy after each fill-up?
(Sorry, I didn't get to talk to you in San Antonio.)
Stretching ones legs is a luxury on the cannonball. But the cannonball is designed for 250 CCs or less so we tend to stay off the highways. That being the case we go through a lot of one stop light towns or towns with very low speed limits. One gets very adept at stretching ones legs at stop lights and stop signs. If the speed limit through town is low enough one can stand on the running boards for three or four minutes while moving. Stop lights are also where one chugs their beverage and eats their power bars. I would not be exaggerating if I were to tell you that some riders have actually used condom catheters although I prefer a convenient out of the way tree or shrub.

Anyway the tank has baffles to prevent sloshing and, when it is full, it adds 25 pounds to the rear on the bike. That is often less than people carry in their top case and way less than if you ride two up. At cannonball speeds the tank is empty in just over three hours, the main tank will run dry about three hours after that.

Most cannonball days are ~330 miles, depending on conditions that could be between 5 and 7 hours (for the 250s) I have seen a vintage guy go for 13 hours and this year we might have one or two 50. I suspect those guys will spend 12 or more hours on the road each day.
Banned
MP3 500
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:40 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
sushiman007 wrote:
Richard @ High-Gain Tuning just added those LED taillights as a regular item, so now y'all could order directly off his site
just placed my order thanks for posting this.
Me too
MP3
Molto Verboso
MP3 500
Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:53 pm quote
Nice color selection very cosmopolitan.
mp3 400
Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 pm quote
With out a doubt it eas the Corbin seat. At 6'2" I was a little cramped, but Corbin added a little heitght and cut the back farther. Very comfy. 400 mile days are a breeze now.
Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:03 pm quote
I have a 32" inseam, I think you call it, and ride with my heels on the pillion footrests. this has been sliding me forward down the seat.

Beginners guide to modding 2.

The saddle is held to the scooter by three bolts at the front

1) Unscrew the centre bolt.

2) Take it to a hardware store and ask for the same but longer. About 2" will do.

3) Go back to the hardware store for the other two bolts.

3) Go back to the hardware store again and buy about 50 large washers about 1" across, with a hole in the middle that fits the bolts.

4)Lining up 15 washers and getting the bolts back in to their hole while steadying the saddle is a bit of a fiddle, but persevere.

5) Either wrap the washers in a sort of duct tape tube to steady them, or give in and get somebody to hold the saddle while you start the bolts into their holes.

6) tighten the bolts, or maybe the machine screws, if that was all they had in the hardware store. (A bolt has a hexagonal top and you use a spanner to loosen and tighten it, a machine screw has a slot or cross indented in the top and you use a screwdriver)

It has made a huge difference. Thank you MV, I learned of this many moons ago, but only just got round to it. should've done it months ago!

2nd easy mod.jpg
Sorry these are night shots, just couldn't wait to share!

2nd easy mod2.jpg
.........and very sorry the scoot is grubby, but didn't wait to wash it for same reason.
Elegant it isn't, comfortable it is!

The front is only about 3/4" higher, the difference is dramatic.

Addicted
Piaggio Mp3250
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm quote
Beginners guide to Modding 3.

If the handbag hook and saddle raise is too daunting.

1) Buy an Mp3 with the full comfort screen.

2) Drive to nearest Starbucks and whatever size drink you choose, have the 'Barista' serve it in a large.......... okay, Vente........ coffee cup.

3) Wedge large..........okay,Vente (stupid bloody word that, means nothing, but woe thrice woe that any system of sizing uses the word 'small '!) between screen and console, it is a perfect fit.

4) Go back to Starbucks and get one of those little green vent hole blockers and turn cup so that hole is to the rear, or get a napkin, cover the hole with that, and with the hole to the front wedge it in so that the napkin is pinched between the screen and the cup lid to catch any spill.

5) drive gently to favourite spot to enjoy coffee, or if really daring and not an Toreador Pants kind of person, drive around town enjoying the occasional sip of blandness, impressing everybody with your great taste in scooters and your poor taste in coffee..

6) Clean windscreen.

3rd easy mod1.jpg
step 1)

3rd easy Mod.jpg
Step 2), 3) and 4)

Ossessionato
'09 Mp3-500 - Gone Now
Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 pm quote
Fay Presto wrote:
Beginners guide to Modding 3.

If the handbag hook and saddle raise is too daunting.

1) Buy an Mp3 with the full comfort screen.

2) Drive to nearest Starbucks and whatever size drink you choose, have the 'Barista' serve it in a large.......... okay, Vente........ coffee cup.

3) Wedge large..........okay,Vente (stupid bloody word that, means nothing, but woe thrice woe that any system of sizing uses the word 'small '!) between screen and console, it is a perfect fit.

4) Go back to Starbucks and get one of those little green vent hole blockers and turn cup so that hole is to the rear, or get a napkin, cover the hole with that, and with the hole to the front wedge it in so that the napkin is pinched between the screen and the cup lid to catch any spill.

5) drive gently to favourite spot to enjoy coffee, or if really daring and not an Toreador Pants kind of person, drive around town enjoying the occasional sip of blandness, impressing everybody with your great taste in scooters and your poor taste in coffee..

6) Clean windscreen.
Kinda like first mod of the day...
Missouri Loves Company Rally   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 1234Next
[ Time: 0.3419s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0623s) ][ Debug on ]