Keys Locked in Trunk
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 123Next
Author Message
Member
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:28 am quote
Hi all! Just locked my keys in trunk. I searched the old threads and it seems there is a way in, but everyone sends it P.M.. If you know how I can get my keys out, please send me the solution. I greatly appreciate it.
Many thanks in advance.
El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 9022
Location: Belfast Metropolitan Area
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:47 am quote
You have PM.
Member
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:55 am quote
Re: Keys Locked in Trunk
Thanks man! I am not at home right now, but can't wait to get home and try. OK folks, I found one possible solution, but still accepting more in case i can't do this one LOL
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21415
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 am quote
Re: Keys Locked in Trunk
uplatenite wrote:
Thanks man! I am not at home right now, but can't wait to get home and try. OK folks, I found one possible solution, but still accepting more in case i can't do this one LOL
there is only 1 solution unless you want to use a BFH.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 am quote
Actually there are about four different approaches - even five perhaps!
El Macho
KTM Super Duke 1290, Vespa GTS 300
Joined: 27 Oct 2006
Posts: 9022
Location: Belfast Metropolitan Area
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:50 am quote
jimc wrote:
Actually there are about four different approaches - even five perhaps!
Yeah, I did this in Italy on my 400. Jim attempted one method, I attempted mine, I got there first.
Member
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 04 Jun 2010
Posts: 39
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:53 am quote
Re: Keys Locked in Trunk
OK. I drove home and got it opened and guess what? The M----F----- keys aren't in there! Yesterday and this morning I made sure I checked everywhere before determining that I might have left them in there. Oh well, gotta keep searching. At least I got my master key out of trunk. That was a lesson learned too. It has been laying in there since I bot the bike.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:54 am quote
I never got around to trying mine - you were too quick with the relevant tools!
Enthusiast
Piaggio Mp3 400
Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 56
Location: San Antonio, TX
Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:15 pm quote
Thanks guys...
It's good to know that if I ever make this mistake, there is a way(or five) in. But more than that, the fact that they(you guys) only send it PM makes me feel much better about the type of people in this forum, someone who knows it might not be the best thing to post for everyone to see. Ive been on this forum since day one of getting my MP3, and find myself lurking/learning more than a fair bit, but whenever I have a question, someone has already had it answered. Just wanted you guys, all of you, to know that I'm here everyday lurking/learning as stated, and thanks for all the info.
Hooked
Fuoco
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 179
Location: Scotland
Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:41 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Actually there are about four different approaches - even five perhaps!
It's only a matter of time Jim, whats your best way in?
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:04 pm quote
AuldNick wrote:
jimc wrote:
Actually there are about four different approaches - even five perhaps!
It's only a matter of time Jim, whats your best way in?
Um Nick, you did catch the part about how we only PM this information and never publicly post it. correct?
Molto Verboso
Honda SH 300
Joined: 24 Nov 2009
Posts: 1119
Location: MALTA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:13 pm quote
will someone Please Please PM me with the solution,,, I'm sure to lock the keys under the seat of my Fuoco......especially as retirement and senility creeps in
Hooked
Fuoco
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 179
Location: Scotland
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 pm quote
rjeffb wrote:
AuldNick wrote:
jimc wrote:
Actually there are about four different approaches - even five perhaps!
It's only a matter of time Jim, whats your best way in?
Um Nick, you did catch the part about how we only PM this information and never publicly post it. correct?
Correct
Hooked
Fuoco
Joined: 14 Mar 2010
Posts: 179
Location: Scotland
Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:58 pm quote
Cheers Jim.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:08 pm quote
NW.
Hooked
MP3 400
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 199
Location: Brisbane
Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:11 am quote
terryvanman wrote:
will someone Please Please PM me with the solution,,, I'm sure to lock the keys under the seat of my Fuoco......especially as retirement and senility creeps in
Ditto with the solution please.

It's not the retirement, just the senility...
Molto Verboso
MP3 500 'JAZZ'
Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 1209
Location: Not on my MP3 ;( - Folsom, CA. -
Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:58 am quote
Re: Keys Locked in Trunk
uplatenite wrote:
OK. I drove home and got it opened and guess what? The M----F----- keys aren't in there! Yesterday and this morning I made sure I checked everywhere before determining that I might have left them in there. Oh well, gotta keep searching. At least I got my master key out of trunk. That was a lesson learned too. It has been laying in there since I bot the bike.
Yikes! Take that master key out of the bike and put it in a safe place!
Hooked
Piaggio MP3, Italjet Dragster , Sachs MaddAss, Honda Gyro S (2), Corbin Sparrows (3), JZR, Trihawk, Freeway, Grinnall Scorpions (6),Ca
Joined: 05 Jan 2007
Posts: 219
Location: Treasure Coast Florida
Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:46 am quote
the dreaded "oh s ..T !"
i have a pice of fishing line, almost invisible, hooked to the latch and snaked down to where i CAN find it, with some effort, and with a little light pull open the latch..

if someone is really desperate to steal a motorscooter, 5 years old, then please come to Northern Vermont, find my beautiful 250cc, and steal her.

I have had to cheat the system when the battery went dead using a jumper wire and a certain fuse ..

if someone would like to send me the solution to get my locked keys out, PLEASE email me

emillio

emillio@me.com

thanks

anyone seen this new three wheeler on the market ?

scorpionmotorsport.com ?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21415
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:57 am quote
Re: the dreaded "oh s ..T !"
emillio wrote:
anyone seen this new three wheeler on the market ?

scorpionmotorsport.com ?
Its a car thats missing 1 wheel
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:14 am quote
On another thread (http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic68732) I posted how having a lanyard on your key can help keep you from losing your key - and how I wound up regretting removing a lanyard for precisely that reason.

I also find that this solution - a nice, wide, bright lanyard - makes it much less likely to accidentally lock your key under the seat. YMMV, but I have on several occassions been about to close the seat and stopped when I saw the bright length of cloth hanging outside.

P.S. I bet that if you've executed Awareness's seat-raising mod, you can tug on the lanyard and get your key out even AFTER you've locked the seat...

Lanyard1b.jpg
Q: Where can you get one of these?
A: Everywhere...and usually for free!

Enthusiast
MP3 400
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 87
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm quote
Resurrecting an old thread -
Could someone PM me the method?

I locked mine in my trunk at home today (thankfully where I had my spare!!). I knew it would eventually happen. I'm usually VERY careful to put my key in plain sight or in my pocket before messing around in the trunk. I did that today - put it in my pocket. BUT - it was the pocket of my rain suit which I promptly locked in the trunk.

I can't imagine how much bitching my wife would do if I had to ask her to drive 30 miles to let me in my bike!

Thanks!
J
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:07 pm quote
To open the seat (or at least the 'trunk' on an MP3) on a 500 without a key, you need to find the cable running to the lock and give it a downward tug. You can find the cable behind the left-hand rear panel, about halfway along and up near the seat rim - it can be seen from underneath. Grab it and pull firmly down, you will hear the lock click open. HTH.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie
Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 2111
Location: Southern Oregon Coast
Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:29 pm quote
jimc wrote:
To open the seat (or at least the 'trunk' on an MP3) on a 500 without a key, you need to find the cable running to the lock and give it a downward tug. You can find the cable behind the left-hand rear panel, about halfway along and up near the seat rim - it can be seen from underneath. Grab it and pull firmly down, you will hear the lock click open. HTH.
Oh nooooo......now the crooks are going to come steal my MP3, they'll be opening my seat and finding my, uh, what? Wha? No key under my seat? JezusHCrimoney Jim, don't be giving away the SECRET! My fuel bottle is under there!

LL75
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:14 pm quote
Tough shit.

A bit like Tough Love, but more fragrant.
Addicted
2007 MP3 250(retired) C650GT
Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 708
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm quote
terryvanman wrote:
will someone Please Please PM me with the solution,,, I'm sure to lock the keys under the seat of my Fuoco......especially as retirement and senility creeps in
You might forget! That's why I'm waiting to ask.
Hooked
2009 MP3 500, 2012 Kawasaki Concours 14
Joined: 22 Aug 2010
Posts: 100
Location: LONG BEACH, California
Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:23 pm quote
This has actually happened to me once--actually this weekend. And just as some use a bright lantern as an intervention(which is a great idea), when I open my seat, I always(for the most part), stick the key right back into the ignition. Then when I go to close it, I innately look at the ignition. If I don't see it there, then I DON'T close the seat and I search. . . . It was my luck I was leaving so I just had to run back into the house and get the master.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4238
Location: Marietta, GA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:26 pm quote
I found this thread interesting, but never seen the solution?
Someone PM me too...

It almost happened to me too this weekend.
I had the seat propped opened (Cleaning Seat), and not sure why I put the keys inside. The seat came down, but luckily I had some other items that kept it from closing completely and locking.

Thanks,
Keith
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21415
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:30 pm quote
klaborde wrote:
I found this thread interesting, but never seen the solution?
Someone PM me too...

It almost happened to me too this weekend.
I had the seat propped opened (Cleaning Seat), and not sure why I put the keys inside. The seat came down, but luckily I had some other items that kept it from closing completely and locking.

Thanks,
Keith
and did you read the WHOLE thread.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 37683
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm quote
Words fail me....
Molto Verboso
NC700XD
Joined: 28 Dec 2009
Posts: 1372
Location: Richmond, VA
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:33 pm quote
See? There's no point in posting it.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3-500 aka Red Dog 2007 Vespa 250ie
Joined: 16 Oct 2009
Posts: 2111
Location: Southern Oregon Coast
Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 pm quote
Cagedodger wrote:
See? There's no point in posting it.


OMG, and we were actually concerned about this at one time....

LL75
Addicted
Previously:Fuoco 500ie with Active Suspension. Now: CTX700
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Posts: 663
Location: Sydney, Australia
Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:17 pm quote
Look, I feel like a real loser now. I've never locked my keys under the seat because I don't know how. All these other members seem to be able to do it with no instruction. I guess I'm just not mechanically-minded.

Could someone please PM me with the correct procedure?

Have I done enough posts yet?

Gonzo.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Joined: 08 Jul 2011
Posts: 4238
Location: Marietta, GA
Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:48 am quote
GonzoB wrote:
Look, I feel like a real loser now. I've never locked my keys under the seat because I don't know how. All these other members seem to be able to do it with no instruction. I guess I'm just not mechanically-minded.

Could someone please PM me with the correct procedure?

Have I done enough posts yet?

Gonzo.
Gonzo, you are not alone...
I would like to know the solution, excluding "Tugging on the Cable" to open the seat. Someone said there are maybe 4 or 5 different solutions. Since there are so many, I would like to choose when the problem happens which one I want to use, or have all of them available to me.

I guess I will need to PM Fuzzy and get the answer, at least I know he is always available to help others.

Keith,
Marietta, GA.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21457
Location: Palatka, Florida
Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 am quote
klaborde wrote:
GonzoB wrote:
Look, I feel like a real loser now. I've never locked my keys under the seat because I don't know how. All these other members seem to be able to do it with no instruction. I guess I'm just not mechanically-minded.

Could someone please PM me with the correct procedure?

Have I done enough posts yet?

Gonzo.
Gonzo, you are not alone...
I would like to know the solution, excluding "Tugging on the Cable" to open the seat. Someone said there are maybe 4 or 5 different solutions. Since there are so many, I would like to choose when the problem happens which one I want to use, or have all of them available to me.

I guess I will need to PM Fuzzy and get the answer, at least I know he is always available to help others.

Keith,
Marietta, GA.
LOL Read Gonzo's post again.
Enthusiast
mp3 250
Joined: 21 Oct 2010
Posts: 99
Location: Malaysia
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:24 am quote
Sorry guys, don't understand why all the fuss about locking the key inside the seat. As Jimc said, you own the bike, take one Saturday off and do a bit of observation and bending (whole body, hands and fingers), most likely you will get the solution to open the seat without the key. I managed to do that but after many Saturdays, a few screws off bruise and scratched fingers, but hey I found the solution and proud of it too So far only ONE way though
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 21457
Location: Palatka, Florida
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 am quote
Yes there is only one way (with maybe slight variations) to do it easily and without damage. The "other ways" would involve dismantling, pry bars or shotgun blasts.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 21415
Location: Harriman, Tennessee, Tn
Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:30 am quote
matdoe wrote:
Sorry guys, don't understand why all the fuss about locking the key inside the seat. As Jimc said, you own the bike, take one Saturday off and do a bit of observation and bending (whole body, hands and fingers), most likely you will get the solution to open the seat without the key. I managed to do that but after many Saturdays, a few screws off bruise and scratched fingers, but hey I found the solution and proud of it too So far only ONE way though
while I refuse to post a how to on an open forum, on the 250/400's there is a method thru the trunk as well.
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 2005
Location: Saratoga, N.Y.
Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:54 pm quote
> on the 250/400's there is a method thru the trunk
That one is in the owner's manual. But if you don't have keys, how can you open the pet carrier?
Bracketmeister
Bracketmeister Emeritus (retired)
Joined: 03 Jun 2009
Posts: 2519
Location: New Jersey
Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:25 pm quote
Gonzo you ought to be locked up for cruelty. I just read your post in a restaurant and made a public scene laughing myself silly.
Enthusiast
MP3 400
Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 87
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 am quote
jimc -
Your solution works beautifully - thanks.

Gonzo -
You know that by making that proclamation that somehow, probably of a mystical cause, you're going to lock your keys in the trunk and your release cable is going to snap when you tug on it.

J.
Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.2415s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0765s) ][ Debug on ]