piaggio mp3 500
Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:44 pm quote
I'm in Bexley, Kent.
If anyone fancies helping out.
Cheers
Lurker
MP3 250
Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:21 am quote
Hi, I'm a new owner (my husband and I) and my husband locked the only key we have in the trunk. Help!

We have an MP3 250.

The keys are in the back compartment resting safely inside the helmet.
Hooked
MP3 250
Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:36 pm quote
Read the post by jimc on the first page of this discussion to open the seat and then reach thru.
Hooked
2007 MP3 250
Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 pm quote
Here is the direct link to the post by Jimc.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/post1238371#1238371

It works the same on a 250cc MP3
Lurker
MP3 250
Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:44 pm quote
Hi,

Thank you so much!!

We found another way of accessing the cable. I'll look for this as a back up so I'll know what to look for when I get stressed.

Thank you again!!

Tammy
Lurker
2010 Piaggio MP3 400ie
Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:50 pm quote
DougL wrote:
You have PM.
I hate to bother but my rear door aka trunk door will not open now a days. Do you have any info or thoughts how to open it up?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm quote
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
DougL wrote:
You have PM.
I hate to bother but my rear door aka trunk door will not open now a days. Do you have any info or thoughts how to open it up?
use your key in the ignition lock.
Lurker
2010 Piaggio MP3 400ie
Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
DougL wrote:
You have PM.
No PM AVAILABLE

And by the way I did do have the key in the ignition. Another other thoughts??
Lurker
2010 Piaggio MP3 400ie
Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 pm quote
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
DougL wrote:
You have PM.
No PM AVAILABLE

And to the person who sent me the no existent PM thanks for no PM
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:27 pm quote
Did you read the whole thread?

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:29 pm quote
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
cruzdizzle424 wrote:
DougL wrote:
You have PM.
No PM AVAILABLE

take it apart and see if the cable clip came off the latch mechanism.
Lurker

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 am quote
hello
I locked my key in my scooter and I need someone to pm me the ways to get it out because I just had to walk home grant you it was only a mile but still im pretty irritated thanks
Moderaptor
Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:39 am quote
Exactly what sort of scooter?
Lurker

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:44 am quote
Locked my keys inside..
Hi ,I locked my key inside 2007 MP3 250 .Please pm me if you know way to get it out. Thanks
Lurker
Piaggio Mp3 300
Sat May 06, 2017 3:26 am quote
The usual 'keys locked in boot problem....arrgh
Hello there,
Yes i have done the unthinkable and shut my keys under the seat. Please help, i need to get these out. How can i do this?
Moderaptor
Sat May 06, 2017 8:25 am quote
Re: The usual 'keys locked in boot problem....arrgh
Sandrat wrote:
Hello there,
Yes i have done the unthinkable and shut my keys under the seat. Please help, i need to get these out. How can i do this?
Please read the whole thread. The solution is given at least twice in plain English.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Sat May 06, 2017 4:33 pm quote
JIMC set up a $50 / call to answer stupid questions whose answers can be found for free with a little EFFORT!
Piaggio MP3
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:30 am quote
jimc wrote:
To open the seat (or at least the 'trunk' on an MP3) on a 500 without a key, you need to find the cable running to the lock and give it a downward tug. You can find the cable behind the left-hand rear panel, about halfway along and up near the seat rim - it can be seen from underneath. Grab it and pull firmly down, you will hear the lock click open. HTH.
I tried this and the only thing that happened is the cable kind of gave way and seemed to come loose of something but the trunk did not open. I am stuck with the key under the seat so any help, PM or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.
Piaggio MP3
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 pm quote
LarryL wrote:
jimc wrote:
To open the seat (or at least the 'trunk' on an MP3) on a 500 without a key, you need to find the cable running to the lock and give it a downward tug. You can find the cable behind the left-hand rear panel, about halfway along and up near the seat rim - it can be seen from underneath. Grab it and pull firmly down, you will hear the lock click open. HTH.
I tried this and the only thing that happened is the cable kind of gave way and seemed to come loose of something but the trunk did not open. I am stuck with the key under the seat so any help, PM or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.
OK - I tried the cable again, gently, but it came apart apparently from the seat connection so this method is out.

Could someone please PM or post another way to get into the seat or trunk? I really don't want to load and toe it to the dealer if possible. I know I do not have all that many posts but I am new to this forum and scooters and getting off to a somewhat rocky start with this one. I have lots of posts over at advriders and only want to get this thing going. I did not get a master key with it. Any help is greatly appreciated. It is an MP3 400.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:10 pm quote
LarryL wrote:
LarryL wrote:
jimc wrote:
OK - I tried the cable again, gently, but it came apart apparently from the seat connection so this method is out.

Could someone please PM or post another way to get into the seat or trunk? I really don't want to load and toe it to the dealer if possible. I know I do not have all that many posts but I am new to this forum and scooters and getting off to a somewhat rocky start with this one. I have lots of posts over at advriders and only want to get this thing going. I did not get a master key with it. Any help is greatly appreciated. It is an MP3 400.
Are you saying that you think the nut holding the cable latch to the assembly is loose so you can't give it a firm tuck without something giving way? I'd try again with a firm quick tug instead of a gentle tug. Maybe that'll do the trick.

When I first got my MP3 400, after I made sure I had a spare key, I practiced doing this cable release myself a number of time so I know how to do it and what to expect, just in case I got locked out like you did and the spare key is at home.

Only other thing I can think of if it's parked at home is that normally you can manually open up the rear trunk lid with the key in the key slot by pushing it down and turning it clockwise. So maybe you can look into disassembling the front body panel around where the key slot is to let you get your finger in that area and simulate the rear trunk lid release but yanking on that cable. I don't know how hard it is to remove the body around the key slot because I never tried it before. Once you can release the trunk, you can reach in to manually release the seat latch.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:27 am quote
LarryL wrote:
LarryL wrote:
jimc wrote:

since you have a 400 you can disassemble the back trunk area to release the trunk and then reach your hand in and manually release the inner seat latch.
Piaggio MP3
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:16 am quote
Volusiano wrote:
LarryL wrote:
LarryL wrote:
jimc wrote:

Are you saying that you think the nut holding the cable latch to the assembly is loose so you can't give it a firm tuck without something giving way? I'd try again with a firm quick tug instead of a gentle tug. Maybe that'll do the trick.

When I first got my MP3 400, after I made sure I had a spare key, I practiced doing this cable release myself a number of time so I know how to do it and what to expect, just in case I got locked out like you did and the spare key is at home.

Only other thing I can think of if it's parked at home is that normally you can manually open up the rear trunk lid with the key in the key slot by pushing it down and turning it clockwise. So maybe you can look into disassembling the front body panel around where the key slot is to let you get your finger in that area and simulate the rear trunk lid release but yanking on that cable. I don't know how hard it is to remove the body around the key slot because I never tried it before. Once you can release the trunk, you can reach in to manually release the seat latch.
The plastic end that I assume was seated in the seat release mechanism came right out so it is no longer connected.

I will look into disassembly but from what I can see many of the screws are either in the trunk or under the seat. It may be sawsall time (being a carpenter).
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 am quote
Realize that there are 2 cables down there one connecting the actuator to the saddle lock and one connecting the trunk door to its actuator. that actuator is under the left side floorboard. if you can pull on that cable, and by pulling on it I mean kind of bending it to pull the cover and enclosed control cable inside together, you can get the trunk(pet carrier door) to open. once open you can reach in to release saddle latch with your hands. Sawzall is way down the road.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
LarryL wrote:
LarryL wrote:
jimc wrote:

since you have a 400 you can disassemble the back trunk area to release the trunk and then reach your hand in and manually release the inner seat latch.
There are screws inside the pet carrier door that need to removed so not really possible without door open.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:37 am quote
http://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/ETR6000US2.pdf

Shows the cable run on Run 05.03

Hope that helps.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am quote
14perry wrote:
Realize that there are 2 cables down there one connecting the actuator to the saddle lock and one connecting the trunk door to its actuator. that actuator is under the left side floorboard. if you can pull on that cable, and by pulling on it I mean kind of bending it to pull the cover and enclosed control cable inside together, you can get the trunk(pet carrier door) to open. once open you can reach in to release saddle latch with your hands. Sawzall is way down the road.
I have used this a few times on my MP3/250...

Keith,
Marietta, GA
Piaggio MP3
Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 pm quote
14perry wrote:
Thanks for this - I just got back and it's too late to try tonight but I will give that one a try tomorrow.

I love this forum and appreciate all the help.
Piaggio MP3
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:46 pm quote
14perry wrote:
It worked! I bent a short piece of 1/4" cold rolled to make a hook at the end and popped it second try - thanks a ton. If you are ever in the northern Colorado area let me know and I'll treat you to beers, coffee, pot is legal here, lunch or whatever is your fancy (within reason).
This saved me a lot of time, money and hassle. My next step if this did not work was to cut out the bottom of the trunk and then fiberglass it back in.
Hooked
2009 Piaggio MP3 400
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:05 pm quote
Now onto taking measures so that you'll never get into the same situation again. Unless you think this workaround trick will work every time for you in the future.
BV250
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 pm quote
And the gas cap cover
Tugging on the cable will open the helmet compartment, so in my situation (no keys, no battery, I bought this 2008 500 ie from a tow away yard) I tried it on the gas cap cover. You have to remove the tupperware around the front, not the headlights but the side covers and the lower front cover, then look in toward the ignition switch from the right side. The coaxial cable running straight down from the side of the switch closest toward the operator is the one you want. Follow it down and find a place to grab it and tug it gently toward you. After a bit it should release the lid.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123
[ Time: 0.2259s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0520s) ][ Debug on ]