First Bike! 2008 MP3 500ie
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
2008 MP3 500
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:23 pm quote
Greetings unto the forum!

I've wanted a Piaggio MP3 500 ever since I first saw them! I've also been lurking this site on and off since then, hoping to pick up some useful tips, tricks, and fixes. I must say, I've learned a lot from everyone's contributions, so thank you all! As the saying goes, "To know the road ahead, ask those who are coming back." That being said, I would like to ask you all for your opinions on the following:

What modifications, additions, or fixes do you wish you would have done to your MP3 earlier?

(For reference, I picked up a 2008 Piaggio MP3 500ie with 13,000 miles, because I absolutely love that aggressive front look! The mods it came with are a taller Givi windshield, Givi topcase w/ brake light, lighted handguards, LED turn signals, added driver backrest, and "tunnel bag". I already checked the radiator hose issue, and it's tightly zip tied to the fan itself, no apparent wear. Also, this model does not have a footbrake, only two handbrakes.)

DSCN1671~2.JPG
Side shot

DSCN1673~2.JPG
Front

DSCN1666~2.JPG
Back, side

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:41 pm quote
Congrats! And welcome to this forum!
Hooked
MP3 500
Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:48 pm quote
I did the exhaust on mine. Other than that it came with a trunk and wind screen which was what I wanted. Yours looks good to go!
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:43 pm quote
Welcome to MV. Nice to see such a low mileage Fuoco. At some point you will probably be plagued with the 'notch' so forewarned is forearmed, there's plenty written on MV about it.

Have fun!
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:39 pm quote
Phone mount, helmet bluetooth, hand-guards.
Congratulations! That looks like a great example of the Mp3 2008 series!

A phone mount was one of the best additions I've made on my 2016 model. Its great having the phone up where you can see the navigation display.

The second investment is a good Bluetooth system for your helmet so you can hear hear the music, navigation tips, and phone. I have a Cardo Freecom 4+ which has basic but very useful voice-control. With the voice control I can manipulate my music or phone calls without having to stop and take my gloves off to mess with the phone.

I like those hand-guards? Do they have a model number or brand? I'd like to add those to my own bike to make it more visible to cars from the frontal arc.
2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:15 am quote
berto wrote:
Congrats! And welcome to this forum!
Thank you!
2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:16 am quote
HauntedMyst wrote:
I did the exhaust on mine. Other than that it came with a trunk and wind screen which was what I wanted. Yours looks good to go!
The exhaust is something I'm considering, although right now it doesn't sound bad stock! What exhaust did you put on?
2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:17 am quote
fleece wrote:
Welcome to MV. Nice to see such a low mileage Fuoco. At some point you will probably be plagued with the 'notch' so forewarned is forearmed, there's plenty written on MV about it.

Have fun!
I consider myself forewarned. Thank you!
2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:21 am quote
Re: Phone mount, helmet bluetooth, hand-guards.
pinheadh78 wrote:

A phone mount was one of the best additions I've made on my 2016 model. Its great having the phone up where you can see the navigation display.

The second investment is a good Bluetooth system for your helmet so you can hear hear the music, navigation tips, and phone. I have a Cardo Freecom 4+ which has basic but very useful voice-control. With the voice control I can manipulate my music or phone calls without having to stop and take my gloves off to mess with the phone.

I like those hand-guards? Do they have a model number or brand? I'd like to add those to my own bike to make it more visible to cars from the frontal arc.
I'll have to double check the paperwork that came with the bike to see if I can find something on the handguards.

A phone mount and Bluetooth would be very handy! Do you have an iphone or Android paired with the voice command feature?
Ossessionato
1991 T5 Pole Position, 2008 LXS 125, 2013 Peugeot Metropolis RS
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:17 am quote
ClassicRocker3D wrote:
fleece wrote:

Have fun!
Good mate of mine has a high mileage MP3 500 (2015), he's toured France, Italy, Switzerland on it. Not suffered the notch so far. He swears by the following parking procedure:

Pull up and engage tilt-lock
Put the bike on the main stand
Release tilt lock (which releases compression)
Re-engage tilt lock

Worked for him so far
2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:20 pm quote
Re: Phone mount, helmet bluetooth, hand-guards.
ClassicRocker3D wrote:
pinheadh78 wrote:

I'll have to double check the paperwork that came with the bike to see if I can find something on the handguards.

A phone mount and Bluetooth would be very handy! Do you have an iphone or Android paired with the voice command feature?
The handguards are Acerbis, parts 200001046 and 200001047

KIMG2516.JPG
Front

KIMG2517.JPG
COD

2008 MP3 500
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 pm quote
fleece wrote:
ClassicRocker3D wrote:
fleece wrote:

Have fun!
Good mate of mine has a high mileage MP3 500 (2015), he's toured France, Italy, Switzerland on it. Not suffered the notch so far. He swears by the following parking procedure:

Re-engage tilt lock

Worked for him so far
Interesting.... It makes sense because I guess sometimes one of the front wheels raises up when put on the kickstand (if at an angle). What's considered "high mileage" for one of these bikes?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:16 am quote
Assuming the maintenance is kept up with, I consider 100k km/60k mi on one of these a high miler. I've driven a 400 that had just crossed the 100K km marker and it sounded like a bucket of loose bolts but being Italian it's probably a miracle it lasted as long as it did.
2016 Mp3 500ie Sport
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:07 pm quote
Phone mounts and Bluetooth
Hi classicrocker3d

Thank you for the information about the handguard; now I know what to shop for

For phone mounts this thread has allot of great information.
Recommendations for Phone Mount (2019 MP3 500)

The consensus is that the new style of RAM-mount called the "RAM Quick-Grip Phone Holder" is the current best choice. It has sprint tensioned grips that hold the phone more solidly than the old X-system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088LL7UA/ and

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/phone-mounts/complete-kits?facets[product_line][]=Quick-Grip

For Bluetooth I first got a Yi-Deng DF-2 cheapo Bluetooth system for $40. But I quickly learned that while it "worked" it left allot to be desired. I eventually invested in a Cardo Freecom 4+ to get the voice controls for audio and better phone integration with google assistant.

A couple of youtube videos on the topic of Bluetooth
and
Hooked
2009 MP3 400, 2004 Honda ST1300
Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:31 am quote
The Cardo units have their own voice command set for phone, music, intercom, etc.

But depending on how you have things connected you can trigger the voice path to your phone and talk to your built-in phone assistant directly.
2008 MP3 500
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:40 am quote
Re: Phone mounts and Bluetooth
pinheadh78 wrote:
Hi classicrocker3d

Thank you for the information about the handguard; now I know what to shop for

For phone mounts this thread has allot of great information.
Recommendations for Phone Mount (2019 MP3 500)

The consensus is that the new style of RAM-mount called the "RAM Quick-Grip Phone Holder" is the current best choice. It has sprint tensioned grips that hold the phone more solidly than the old X-system.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088LL7UA/ and

https://www.rammount.com/shop-all/phone-mounts/complete-kits?facets[product_line][]=Quick-Grip

For Bluetooth I first got a Yi-Deng DF-2 cheapo Bluetooth system for $40. But I quickly learned that while it "worked" it left allot to be desired. I eventually invested in a Cardo Freecom 4+ to get the voice controls for audio and better phone integration with google assistant.

A couple of youtube videos on the topic of Bluetooth
and
Wow! Thanks for all the info!! I'll certainly look into the Cardo and phone mount
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:32 am quote
fleece wrote:
ClassicRocker3D wrote:
fleece wrote:

Have fun!

Re-engage tilt lock

Worked for him so far
I suspect his 2015 bike had already had the bearings properly adjusted, as the procedure for doing so came out well before then (2012).

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Piaggio/Piaggio%20MP3/Random/3%20wheel%20grease%20tool.pdf
Lurker
2008 MP3 400 midnight blue
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:22 pm quote
Awesome look!
Congrats on that new scoot, I also love that look! Just Saturday I joined the MP3 ranks myself (well, for my wife, this is my third bike) with a 2008 400. It is midnight blue, with 7K miles and in near-perfect condition.

Read thru as much as I can about the notch issue, and though I request forgiveness from Jimc whom I thoroughly respect as I've read thru a bunch of his posts, will be attempting the grease first, and possibly the gonzo tweak later as soon as I can figure out how to get the tupperware off. I wondered what was happening when I felt a little steering wander initially, and on the trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff I was passed by a truck and trailer and it started fishtailing a little in the crosswind - very disconcerting! So I'm guessing it's got some notch, tho it's very intermittent (that make sense?!)

A modification to increment the live of the bearings sistem (Page 2)
MP3 - Short-term fix for "the notch"

Ordered the grease screw from AF1 (then found scooterpartsco.com cheaper, and the 020892Y Front Shock adjust key (ouch, expensive) to try to make it easier if possible to reduce the adjustment to lowest pre-load as Jimc suggested.

Does anyone have best advice on front plastic removal instructions so I can get to the Bearings? I have read many, many threads and pored thru the FAQs and haven't found step by steps on this yet, other than some brief references in Mitch's scooter stuff and the country nerd vids (which are both awesome!) in the FAQs. Thx in advance, and for all the great info on this forum!
Enthusiast
Vespa Primavera 150 (2019)/Mp3 Sport 500 HPE (2019)
Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:41 am quote
Congratulations on getting the MP3. It was my first bike as well.

I love it.

IMG_20190908_134706.jpg

Enthusiast
Piaggio MP3 ie 400
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:42 pm quote
Hard mount for GPS.
Hi and welcome.

I read some posts here, as this is a 2008 model, I would not recommend spending too much money on accessories that is not urgent or important.

I read about the Bluetooth and the phone mount, although important, but I do not recommend it, as riding is not like driving, you don't need any distraction, like listening to music or talking on the phone, you may get a bad call which will distract your attention.
What I would recommend is a hard mount for a GPS unit, which the hard mount differs from a phone mount, is that is would provide power to the unit, therefore, it will not die on you during the ride. Furthermore, the hard mount can be removed if you sell it and mount it in your bike/scooter. Note, some new models of phone mount give the option of power.
You have the topbox which is good.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Fri May 01, 2020 9:25 am quote
Re: Hard mount for GPS.
abcdef wrote:
Hi and welcome.

I read some posts here, as this is a 2008 model, I would not recommend spending too much money on accessories that is not urgent or important.

I read about the Bluetooth and the phone mount, although important, but I do not recommend it, as riding is not like driving, you don't need any distraction, like listening to music or talking on the phone, you may get a bad call which will distract your attention.
What I would recommend is a hard mount for a GPS unit, which the hard mount differs from a phone mount, is that is would provide power to the unit, therefore, it will not die on you during the ride. Furthermore, the hard mount can be removed if you sell it and mount it in your bike/scooter. Note, some new models of phone mount give the option of power.
I talk on the phone and listen to music all the time when riding. If you don't have the attention span to concentrate on driving while on the phone, don't use one on the bike. I have no problem doing so and keep driving as my first job not talking on the phone. You don't have long conversations but can communicate till you can get to a safe space to pull over.
You get a good head set and your hands don't even have to come off the bars to answer the phone, get directions or play music. Just use
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Fri May 01, 2020 10:14 am quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Hi and welcome.

I talk on the phone and listen to music all the time when riding. If you don't have the attention span to concentrate on driving while on the phone, don't use one on the bike. I have no problem doing so and keep driving as my first job not talking on the phone. You don't have long conversations but can communicate till you can get to a safe space to pull over.
You get a good head set and your hands don't even have to come off the bars to answer the phone, get directions or play music. Just use
I agree, I have zero problem using a headset and if you ride as an actual means of transportation like I and some others do here it is invaluable. If you are a casual weekend fair weather rider maybe not. No it is NOT harder than driving a car provided you have enough hours with your ass in the seat and some skills. It is a pretty hot button topic here but unless you have tried it you really can't speak to it. If you have tried it and find it too distracting then don't do it... simple. You can also use a phone mount and plug in to power, it's really easy and I have a GPS on the the BMW but my other bikes I just patch in to the USB port and use my iPhone.

For a brand new rider I'd say no to a bluetooth communicator for a bit and recommend taking some courses when available. I spend hours and hours on bikes and have taken about every training course offered in Toronto. As far as phone calls always let the other person know you are on a motorbike and 100% of the time they will be understanding and patient if you need to focus for a minute. I can walk and chew gum at the same time as well. Think I've even been on a call while on the bike and chewing gum, now that's some risky business . The irony is I know that a lot of the people that complain about the headsets also may be the same people that wear sneakers and a t-shirt when riding... That to me is far riskier than a headset.

Oh and congrats on the bike May it bring you many smiles and miles.
2008 MP3 500
Sun May 24, 2020 4:06 am quote
Harbinger wrote:
WEB-Tech wrote:
abcdef wrote:
Hi and welcome.

I agree, I have zero problem using a headset and if you ride as an actual means of transportation like I and some others do here it is invaluable. If you are a casual weekend fair weather rider maybe not. No it is NOT harder than driving a car provided you have enough hours with your ass in the seat and some skills. It is a pretty hot button topic here but unless you have tried it you really can't speak to it. If you have tried it and find it too distracting then don't do it... simple. You can also use a phone mount and plug in to power, it's really easy and I have a GPS on the the BMW but my other bikes I just patch in to the USB port and use my iPhone.

For a brand new rider I'd say no to a bluetooth communicator for a bit and recommend taking some courses when available. I spend hours and hours on bikes and have taken about every training course offered in Toronto. As far as phone calls always let the other person know you are on a motorbike and 100% of the time they will be understanding and patient if you need to focus for a minute. I can walk and chew gum at the same time as well. Think I've even been on a call while on the bike and chewing gum, now that's some risky business . The irony is I know that a lot of the people that complain about the headsets also may be the same people that wear sneakers and a t-shirt when riding... That to me is far riskier than a headset.

Oh and congrats on the bike May it bring you many smiles and miles.
Thank you all for your input! To be honest, I can chew gum and walk at the same time (surprising for me!). However, I notice that when in a car and on the hands-free phone, I can still drive but I "space out" memory wise along the trip, especially if I've gone the same route a hundred times. I definitely won't be making a call while I ride, but I think the Bluetooth will come in handy if I do a group ride or have a passenger (after enough time and experience). I think the music might be nice on a long highway cruise, as opposed to a bustling urban environment. Time will tell, and I appreciate everyone's advice and input!
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Tue May 26, 2020 6:08 am quote
Congratulations on your 2008. I am still riding mine. Not to alarm you but pay attention to how much oil is being collected in the air filter compartment. If you start to notice a gradual increase it could be a sign that the piston is bad. Quite a few 2008's had this issue. I had to rebuild my top end because of it. The good news is that many did not have this issue. What is the build date and month of yours? I can't remember the exact period but there seemed to be a couple of months where most were affected. We speculated back then that there was a bad batch of pistons being installed. Piaggio never acknowledged this as far as I know.

Not telling you this to make you worry. I just wish I had known more before my 500 left me stranded in North Georgia. Knowledge is power.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Tue May 26, 2020 7:17 am quote
stickyfrog wrote:
Congratulations on your 2008. I am still riding mine. Not to alarm you but pay attention to how much oil is being collected in the air filter compartment. If you start to notice a gradual increase it could be a sign that the piston is bad. Quite a few 2008's had this issue. I had to rebuild my top end because of it. The good news is that many did not have this issue. What is the build date and month of yours? I can't remember the exact period but there seemed to be a couple of months where most were affected. We speculated back then that there was a bad batch of pistons being installed. Piaggio never acknowledged this as far as I know.

Not telling you this to make you worry. I just wish I had known more before my 500 left me stranded in North Georgia. Knowledge is power.
You may also get oil in the airbox while the scooter is being broken in.
Mine had copious oil in the airbox for the first ~3000 miles, then it stopped.
Been just fine for the last 43,000 miles.
Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 (sold) MP3 500 (current)
Tue May 26, 2020 8:15 am quote
Madison Sully wrote:
stickyfrog wrote:

You may also get oil in the airbox while the scooter is being broken in.
Mine had copious oil in the airbox for the first ~3000 miles, then it stopped.
Been just fine for the last 43,000 miles.
True but he said it had 13,000 miles I think. My oil problem didn't start until I was in the 20,000's range and it got steadily worse until boom. Others reported the same.
2008 MP3 500
Tue May 26, 2020 11:17 pm quote
stickyfrog wrote:

I appreciate the heads-up! Mine was built 04/08. Have you heard of April being one of the bad months? When I opened up the air filter box, I mostly saw dirt. No liquid oil (fingers crossed!)
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed May 27, 2020 9:10 am quote
No liquid oil in the air box means no problem- April 08 was on the edge of the problem dates, but it's not cast in stone. If you use low octane gas you can destroy even a new MP3 engine.

Good luck and use Klaborde's rule of 5's if you're worried about the oil-in-airbox problem showing up:

Use 1500 ml of synthetic 15w50 oil, and try to keep it under 5000 RPM.

And Squeazel's addendi: Maintain your engine and use premium gas!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Wed May 27, 2020 9:52 am quote
I agree with premium gas; I believe that's in the manual.

But beyond that, I use Shell Rotella synthetic 5W40 oil, routinely ride at or slightly over 70 MPH which puts the engine a bit above 6,000 RPM.
As to oil level, keep it below midpoint on the dipstick range; lower is better.

Perhaps it's my pillion keeping things together, sorta like R2-D2?

My MP3 500 is now just over 46,000 miles.
And it's got an April, 2008 build date.
Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500
Wed May 27, 2020 10:48 am quote
Yeah, I actually do long runs at 6000 RPM too... So 5000 RPM is not really a hard and fast rule. I guess the point is keep the oil at mid point rather than full-full, use good oil, and don't expect a dry airbox if you go 85 mph for an hour.

Mine needed a new top end at 42,000 miles with a cracked piston ring land. It was built June 2008.

Last edited by Squeazel on Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni
Wed May 27, 2020 11:27 am quote
Built 03-08
61,000 miles
no excess oil use.
Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2145s ][ Queries: 28 (0.0807s) ][ Debug on ]