Security tips?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Enthusiast
ET4
Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm quote
So what do you guys/gals use for locks/security? I can't figure out how one would lock up a scooter. Couldn't really chain it to a bike rack or a sign post. Do they make any kind of alarm system that you can install on one?
Hooked
Vespa LX150
Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:16 pm quote
there are alarm systems, but they won't do much good if someone simply lifts it into the bed of a truck. honestly i don't do anything other than keep it in the garage at my boyfriends house (i do sometimes at my house too but not as much cuz my dogs will probably scare anybody away that gets to close and at the very least will wake us up) and try to park it where i can see it when i go out.
Lurker
2003 Vespa ET2
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:32 pm quote
Full-Coverage Insurance as a Security Measure
One option is simply to add full coverage to your insurance policy.

A determined thief can always overcome chains or alarms simply by loading your scooter into a van. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. By contrast, full-coverage insurance protects you against theft -- as well as flooding and other damage -- no matter what happens.

For our 2003 ET2 in San Diego, it cost about $50 a year to add full coverage to our policy. That's likely less than many alarm installations would cost even after several years.
2006 LX150 "Amadora"

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm quote
Insurance, parking where it can be seen, and a brake lever lock. If someone wants it bad enough they'll take it and I will go out and replace it.
ET2
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39 pm quote
Re: Full-Coverage Insurance as a Security Measure
andrew_sandiego wrote:

A determined thief can always overcome chains or alarms simply by loading your scooter into a van. Unfortunately, it happens all the time. By contrast, full-coverage insurance protects you against theft -- as well as flooding and other damage -- no matter what happens.

For our 2003 ET2 in San Diego, it cost about $50 a year to add full coverage to our policy. That's likely less than many alarm installations would cost even after several years.
I've insured mine (full coverage) with a $50 deductible for $113 year (adding it to your auto insurance policy or homeowners policy?). I'd love to pay $50 a year -- advice?
ET2
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:40 pm quote
HideThebody wrote:
andrew_sandiego wrote:

I've insured mine (full coverage) with a $50 deductible for $113 year (adding it to your auto insurance policy or homeowners policy?). I'd love to pay $50 a year -- advice?
P.S. I have a 2003 ET2, as well.
Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, Black Vespa LX150, 2007 Goodwood Green Triumph Bonneville!
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:42 pm quote
I've always felt that a disk-brake lock is a reasonable deterrent. You know, the kind that you attach thru one of the holes on the front disk brake, which makes it impossible to rotate the wheel a full circle. They look like they would be a b-tch to get off, so you're making reselling your bike by a would-be theif hopefully more difficult than they think is worth it. That's what I use when I park in a dicey part of town...

Perhaps the best deterrent is to park your scoot next to another scoot that DOESN'T have a disk-brake lock -- they'll steal the other one and leave yours alone!

-Dan
Lurker
2003 Vespa ET2
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:47 pm quote
Quote:
We've got a $250 deductible, compared to your $50, which I think explains how we managed to get $50/year for full coverage.
Hooked
RH50, (borrowed) GTS 250 Super
Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:50 pm quote
Correct you are Andrew, Disc Locks take forever to cut thru.

Certain alarms can be set to an extreme sensitivity so that moving or breathing on them causes them to go off. Other than that you can also do a chain thru the rims.

In this college town I tell my customers that there are many easy targets out there for theft so if theres is just a little more difficult to steal its probably safe.
Addicted
ET4 2003, GTS Super 2013
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:07 pm quote
I use Lock Alarm for some added piece of mind. It is a thin cable (of varying lengths) that is actually easy to cut through for someone intent on stealing the scoot. It's benefit is a loud piercing alarm if the cable is compromised. Sure, the thief can still lift it into a truck after cutting the cable, but may choose not to assuming the owner is within hearing distance. I like knowing that if my scoot is parked nearby, I'll know if someone is attempting to make off with it.

http://www.lockalarm.com/
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:34 pm quote
We have yellow Grip Locks and disc brake locks. And full replacement insurance. We are fortunate to live in a relatively low crime area but I have no illusions that we're safe from someone trying to toss our scooters into the back of a truck if they look easy enough to grab.
Molto Verboso
2007 LX150 Dragon Red & 2009 H-D FLHRC
Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm quote
Insurance is a must. I keep two cable locks in my pet carrier. I lock to a tree, pole, whatever when I can. But when I can't, I use a Masterlock Python cable, wrapped through the tire and around the frame. You can kind of see it in the photo below.

Enthusiast
ET4
Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:50 pm quote
Thanks for all the input. Anybody know a good place to find one of those disc brake locks?
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:27 am quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Anybody know a good place to find one of those disc brake locks?
There is another thread running concurrent with yours regarding the Xena disc lock. A discount code, mbuddy99, supplied by xena lock guy (a member of this forum)is also mentioned.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=975567#975567
Enthusiast
ET4
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:30 am quote
Thanks, I didn't see that one.
Ossessionato
2012 BV 350
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:35 am quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Thanks, I didn't see that one.
Not a problem. I don't remember reading this thread the first time around myself. Looks like a nice deal on this new lock with the cable.
Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:23 am quote
I use a GripLock most of the time, and I add a cable when I'm a bit more concerned about the area I'm parking in.

I use full-coverage insurance all the time.
MV Santa
GTS250, 1960 VBA, 1975 VBC, 1980 P200E cutdown
Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 am quote
First, I have insurance like many have said. I also have cables with loops on both ends; one 4ft goes around the floorboard the other 7ft goes around a sign or light pole the other end goes to the two loops on the short cable. All three loops joined with a disc lock. Cables and disc locks can't be cut with a bolt cutter. The only way I know to cut a cable is with a grinder and that would draw a lot of attention.
Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:32 am quote
vintage red matthew wrote:
Cables .... can't be cut with a bolt cutter.
My experience proved otherwise.

Scooter was never recovered, but they did leave me half of my cable.
MV Santa
Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 am quote
OK, a friend just told me there are steel cable cutters but they are rather expensive.
Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, Black Vespa LX150, 2007 Goodwood Green Triumph Bonneville!
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:20 am quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Scooterworks has them for $30 to $50:

http://www.scooterworks.com/Search.aspx?k=disc+lock

and so does NewEnough.com:

http://newenough.com/browse/search?product_area=parts&query=disc+lock

Both, by the way, are MV sponsors I believe!

-Dan
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:38 am quote
I have the lock alarm also and love it. Trust me it wakes up the dead when it goes off.If you get the disc lock make sure you get the bungee cord that goes from the lock and attaches on your handle bar to remind you that it's there. If thieves want your scooter they are going to get it. I always use common sense when parking mine and the lock alarm. Good luck

xtarrows.jpeg.jpg

Lurker
2009 Vespa S 125 Ltd Edition Zafferano #103
Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:12 am quote
Having recently had my last scooter stolen from out of my front garden, I'm looking to make sure that my new S125 is a bit safer.... As someone already said here, if someone decides they really want your bike, they'll find a way to get it.

My last one had a chain through the front wheel, and was parked right outside my kitchen window under a security light - but they simply popped it up onto its back wheel, rolled it out of the front garden and loaded it into a van.... I guess once they had it a safe distance away, they then set about cutting through the chain and breaking the steering lock.

(Obviously I dont know any of this as fact, but the bike was recovered a few days later, and the damage seemed to tell the story. And there was plenty of damage - enough for the insurance company to write it off)

Anyway, I now have a seriously heavy duty chain and padlock (purchased from the "I've had my fingers burnt" Department of a local DIY store), and I've had a friend fabricate and fit a solid metal loop to the front of my house, so the bike is now chained to something, rather than simply preventing the front wheel from turning.

I'm also planning on getting a motion-detection alarm this weekend, although with it being parked outdoors, it needs to be one with a reasonable amount of tolerance to a bit of shaking in the wind.

With that in mind, does anyone here know how the Vespa orginal alarms work? Are they based on movement, or is it waiting for the ignition to be tampered with or.... what?
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:18 pm quote
This is how I park at night. What you don't see is the other, less secured Vespa next door. That chain stays wrapped around the lantern. I never take it with me.

MV Santa
Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:23 pm quote
That loop on the scooter is not secure. You can break if off with a screwdriver.
Ossessionato
GTV
Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:23 pm quote
Jellied Eel wrote:
This is how I park at night. What you don't see is the other, less secured Vespa next door. That chain stays wrapped around the lantern. I never take it with me.

I lock mine with the same chain, different lock during the day when I park it outside the county building. However, I run the chain thru a less secure point: the crash bars. My padlock won't go around the loop. I also cover my GTV during the day and lock the cover to the loop. But covering it, locking it, and making it look somewhat obscure makes it a less likely target (I think). I've never had anyone lift the cover to see what's underneath.
Best
Miguel
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Neck Scarves   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.1837s ][ Queries: 25 (0.0193s) ][ Debug on ]