@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
By that I mean the two small flashing lights on the handlebars that tell you your indicators are flashing.

They are too damn dim, and I frequently forget to cancel my indicators. Or else I am peering at the dashboard to see whether they are on, when I sould be watching the road.

So I want brighter lights, that will make themselves known in my peripheral vision when I am looking ahead.

The dashboard lights on the GT are 1.8 watt and 2 watt, the latter for the indicators. Does anyone know whether brighter bulbs are available in this small size? I am not worried about exces heat melting the surrounding plastic, as they not on for long, and then only intermittently. I expect 5 watts would do the trick. LEDs would be great!

An alternative I am considering is removing the green lens in front of the bulb so that its full yellw-white brightness is available.

Mike.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
Mike have you looked at the tech section on here? This may help,

ALL: Loud Turn Signals Save Lives
Just another option, Beale.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
There are two other options to consider Mike. You can add an audible buzzer to your directional lights. See the technical forum for complete step-by-step instructions. If you're preference is visual, you can add led blinker strips to the mirror-side of your side view mirrors.
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Beale, I fitted a bleeper to one of my earlier Vespas (Rally200 or P200, I can't remember. Yes, I did fit indicators to my Rally200), and found it too loud when I was stationary at the traffic lights, and not loud enough when I was moving - engine/exhaust too noisy.

So for now I will work on the warning lights.

If I had a Bluetooth sound system connected to my helmet (dream!), I could connect a bleeper into that. Would work under all conditions.

Regards, Mike.
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Just as a footnote, I wouldn't want a bleeper designed for other road-users to hear.

Australia has a rule hat every delivery truck, bus etc must have a bleeper which operates when it is reversing. The result is that Sydney city has a lot of extra noise pollution caused by all the manouvering trucks. I wouldn't want to add to this!

Mike
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I've noticed that since I fitted my mid sized wind screen, at night the indicator lights on the dash reflect off the inside of the screen... making it more obvious you've left them on... kinda like a head up display of sorts.. (lol), sorry can't help with a solution during the day :?
@helmuthead avatar
UTC

My Stella, her et-2

@helmuthead avatar
My Stella, her et-2
UTC quote
I'm a fan of the audible indicator. My Stella came with it. Some Stella folks disable it, but I think it's a useful safety feature. My first scooter didn't have one, and I know there were times when I forgot to turn the blinker off. I don't want to give people another chance to run me over.

I think there was a thread on the BBS a few months ago about installing your own audible set-up.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
I'm not keen on audible alerts for indicators on bikes... I'd rather find some way to mount small lights higher up if I were to make a modification...
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
I have thought that some LEDs on the inside of the mirrors would do the trick, but cannot think of a neat way to run a lead up to them.

I am still hunting for brighter bulbs, but may end up removing the green lenses that absorb must of the light. Will have to pull the speedometer/instrument panel apart.

Mike.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
Just thinking outside the box here.. what about some kind of small vibrator (they're pretty small in cell phones), attached to, or in the left hand grip?
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Kev wrote:
Just thinking outside the box here.. what about some kind of small vibrator (they're pretty small in cell phones), attached to, or in the left hand grip?
Now that is an interesting idea.
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
A great idea! Now I need a broken cell phone to pull apart. There must be millions - somewhere! My daughter-in-law works for Vodaphone, so maybe she can help.

But how to identify the relevant part? It's probably all built in to one component so that I cannot extract a vibrator from the rest of the works! Still, it is worth following up.

I had been worried about my brighter lights being too bright at night!

Mike

Better hide your cellphones!
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Those are sweet links phr3d. How would one wire such a thing up to the flashers?
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
You need a regulator to bring the voltage down to the 1.5 vdc (that's just what I remember on one of them). Some thing like the an LM317 or just a resistor have to do some ohms law that I don't feel like right now, its a motor so no biggie to get a good regulated source. Then just splice into the wire for the turn signal. Then it will "pulse" like the turn signal.
@kev avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 250 ie

Hooked
@kev avatar
Vespa GTS 250 ie
UTC quote
you could even add a time delay timer, so that the buzzer only starts pulsing after say.. 5 seconds...

http://www.mpja.com/directview.asp?product=3376+RB "in mono stable mode"

⚠️ Last edited by Kev on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
At 70ma current, 150 ohms should drop the voltage to 1.3v. Plus a diode link to each indicator light, so that voltage can't flow from left indicators to right and vice versa.

Next problem - where to mount it. If it is inside the handlebar, will the vibrations get through? Some experimenting required.

Thanks for the links.

Mike
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
The test as to will it work through the handle bar should be easy enough. Duct tape you cell phone to the handle bar (duct tape is so cool), put phone to vibrate then call it.

Sound be close enough to get an idea if it will work.
@bark211 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa GT200

Hooked
@bark211 avatar
2005 Vespa GT200
UTC quote
I'm eager to hear how the cell phone vibration rig works out, but in the meantime I think I'll install the buzzer. Is the wiring the same on a GT as for the ET?
@jaws avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT 200

Enthusiast
@jaws avatar
GT 200
UTC quote
I'm in the habit of every few minutes of pushing the indicator button just in case I left it on, I thought that would be fairly normal for most riders.
An audible button would be annoying and as a Builder with suspect hearing I would probably think its just my ears playing tunes again!
The vibrator seems interesting.
Cheers,
John
OP
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
UTC quote
Lying in bed this morning I had some more thoughts on the subject. I don't need to pull cellphones apart - any small motor will do, with an offset weight on the shaft to cause the vibrations. I can modify the size of the weight, to make the vibrations as intense as required for easy feeling through my gloves.

They would be connected to the switch, not the leads to the lights, so that a continuous voltage is available rather than a pulsed one. I said 'they' because there would be one in each handgrip, so the vibrations would also tell you which way the indicators were flashing, and no diodes will be necessary in the wiring.

And on a long trip, when my hands are tired and my fingers start cramping, I can give my hands a massage!

Amazing what one's mind can come up with in an idle moment.

Mike
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Bark211 wrote:
I'm eager to hear how the cell phone vibration rig works out, but in the meantime I think I'll install the buzzer. Is the wiring the same on a GT as for the ET?
Yes, they're all the same. You'll find wiring instructions in the Technical Library section of this forum.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
...They would be connected to the switch, not the leads to the lights, so that a continuous voltage is available rather than a pulsed one...Mike
Check your wiring diagram Mike. The center-pole position of the turn-signal switch is wired to the ECU (pin 1). The ECU provides the duty-cycled power for the turn-signal lamps and indicators. There is no constant 12V present at the turn-signal switch.
UTC

Enthusiast
GTS 250

Enthusiast
GTS 250
UTC quote
jaws wrote:
I'm in the habit of every few minutes of pushing the indicator button just in case I left it on, I thought that would be fairly normal for most riders.
An audible button would be annoying and as a Builder with suspect hearing I would probably think its just my ears playing tunes again!
The vibrator seems interesting.
Cheers,
John
I have noticed the turn signal cancel button sometimes fails to cancel the turn indicators off. Has anyone looked into this device?

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=4

I had a turn signal canceller on my '82 Yamaha Seca 650 which came factory installed and loved it. Does anyone know which module the GT has?

BajaPete
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Does anyone know which module the GT has?
It's function is integrated into the ECU Pete.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1098s ][ Queries: 29 (0.0771s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]