The Official 2010 Scooter Cannonball Thread
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...16171819Next
Ossessionato
Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 pm quote
Maroy wrote:
Just rolled into home, Oz and I started on the same flight back in Boston but he had to take a later flight out of Chicago. Thanks again for everybody's support and words of encouragement. Tomorrow it is back to the real world.
Did I tell you that you rock?
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:10 pm quote
glasseye wrote:
But the biggest question everyone will answer all on their own is "did I give it the best I had"? Only one person can answer that question.....the man in the mirror.

R

Absofuckinglutely! (esp on Day 10)
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 pm quote
I made it back home to the big apple a few hours ago.

Ladies and Gentlemen it was a pleasure riding with you all. May we reconvene two years from now for another crazy scooter adventure.

Matt aka 4n6iscool

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 pm quote
4n6iscool wrote:
glasseye wrote:
But the biggest question everyone will answer all on their own is "did I give it the best I had"? Only one person can answer that question.....the man in the mirror.

R

Absofuckinglutely! (esp on Day 10)
Great job riding the 190 class Matt.

Way to represent!

R

Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:37 pm quote
feb31st wrote:
I have nothing against corporate sponsorships but why kill yourself trying to beat someone that is doing it for money?

She made no points in Minnesota when it came time to change oil, had no tools, borrowed everything, and then brought another rider back her used oil and asked them to dispose of it? How many check point photos were screwed up or missing? The "cannonball mojo" took care of that I guess.

Only hafta rider faster than 2nd place. =/ Hopefully 2012 brings more competitive riders - sponsored and not.
Call it "mojo", call it "karma", it is what it is, and anything can happen out on the open road. I saw some riders take more chances and engage in more risky behavior than I would have liked, but that's their decision and they'd have to live (or not) with the potential consequences. It is a competition, but it's only for bragging rights, so is it really worth risking points on your license, losing your license, getting locked up, or heaven forbid, losing your life? As far as I know, no one was doing it for money. A few riders received some level of sponsorship from independent shops and Kymco sponsored three riders by providing them with bikes and/or covering their expenses, but I am not aware of anyone who was simply given a wad of cash by some big corporation in order to compete, much less anyone who was offered a cash prize by a corporation if they were to win. That's not what the Cannonball is about and I don't think it should be implied that anyone was being paid to make 1st place in their class. That said, I think there's nothing wrong with businesses sponsoring riders in the Cannonball. It makes it possible for riders to participate, who otherwise wouldn't have had the opportunity and it gives those companies a significant amount of visibility. SYM certainly took full advantage of that in 2008, and Kymco seems to have made a big push for that this year.

However, the aspect that I don't think scooter companies are taking full advantage of with the Cannonball is the opportunity for reliability and durability testing. We've all learned about the many weaknesses in our scooters (and ourselves) during these rides, and I think this is incredibly valuable information that manufacturers could use to improve the designs of their products. But have any manufacturers asked any of us to document and detail the issues we encountered, in order to provide feedback to their R&D teams? None have, as far as I'm aware. That's a shame, it's truly a missed opportunity for them... when else will they have a chance to put their products through such extremely rigorous testing? I know I could give Piaggio quite a bit of feedback about their GTS exhaust studs, rear rack, brake switches, air filter, variator weights, fuel system, etc. Then there are all the aftermarket suppliers who make exhaust systems, variators and weights, clutches, belts, motor oil, shocks, etc. Perhaps some manufacturers might be interested in partnering with riders in 2012? Just some food for thought...

As for me, I've made it to my mom's in West Chester, PA and my GTS will be given some much needed TLC before being tucked away in the garage here. Starr made it here too on her Lambretta, after some necessary roadside repairs along the way - yes, bailing wire was involved and it worked like a charm. I'm well on my way to recovery after being thoroughly wrecked by the end of day 10, but I'm still not ready to go back to the real world after I fly home tomorrow...

I wonder if Piaggio would be interested in hiring me as a full time employee, to mercilessly thrash their bikes for endurance and reliability testing? Hmmm...
p200
Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:03 am quote
glasseye wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
feb31st wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
And frankly, I'd be so crass to say if someone is able to miss out on 2 whole days and still have sufficiently high enough points to do well against everyone else, then it's just as likely the rest of the riders weren't keeping close enough to the baseline pace anyway, so that effort shouldn't be eliminated.
Agreed. If someone was that far ahead in points to still place well despite a day or two on the truck, then the other riders weren't trying.
I was playing a bit more politic than that, but yes.

For us in 2008, if you lost a whole day of points, or Joel did, etc, results would ahve looked much different.

Fuck - I lost a few hours on the side of the road fixing my transmission (about 2? serves me right to have half of my tools on the truck), and that bumped me from 4th to 5th. If you lost a day, you'da been probably 3rd or 4th.

Then again we were gunning against each other VERY hard. Or, mostly.
I have nothing against corporate sponsorships but why kill yourself trying to beat someone that is doing it for money?

She made no points in Minnesota when it came time to change oil, had no tools, borrowed everything, and then brought another rider back her used oil and asked them to dispose of it? How many check point photos were screwed up or missing? The "cannonball mojo" took care of that I guess.

Only hafta rider faster than 2nd place. =/ Hopefully 2012 brings more competitive riders - sponsored and not.
oohhhhh all teh fun I missed out on, given that I was riding 2x longer than y'all were, and never hangin' out with ya

didn't know it was for cash, not clear on the particulars. aaron and I made specific arrangements to split our tools, distribute weight, etc, so I dont' mind that we borrowed each other's stuff and depended on each other. On the flip side, bad prep is bad prep.

I am not in a good position to judge what happened, but that's a curious perspective you give.
Cannonball will find any weakness in bike AND rider.

To do well one must know the bike....how to fix it on the way.....how to ride it to keep it alive....how to ride to keep yourself alive.

In the end everyone can see their own failures, and the failures of the other riders. Its just out there for the world to see.

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.....

R

what rich said at the bottom there is absolutly bang on, anyone even thinking of doing a cannonball would do very well to remember that.
because its the truth and the bottom line the rest is fill.
Addicted
GTS 250
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:41 am quote
bagel wrote:
feb31st wrote:
As far as I know, no one was doing it for money. A few riders received some level of sponsorship from independent shops and Kymco sponsored three riders by providing them with bikes and/or covering their expenses, but I am not aware of anyone who was simply given a wad of cash by some big corporation in order to compete, much less anyone who was offered a cash prize by a corporation if they were to win. That's not what the Cannonball is about and I don't think it should be implied that anyone was being paid to make 1st place in their class.
I should edit, 'doing it at minimal personal expense'.

Again nothing against sponsorships at all - it seemed to create a conflicting comradery vibe when a single sponsored rider is going balls to the wall against the rest of the pack going or already gone broke to be there. Having more competitive sponsored riders would have really made for an awesome time.

I mentioned before (http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic70280#989252), the 250 class was all things considered pretty evenly matched (rider skills, bike performance) - I thought there was def. more competitiveness through the entire 10 days.
Ossessionato
2016 Honda NC750XD, 2007 GTS (sold),
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:54 am quote
Just to mention it-
The Canadian Rally (Mad Bastard Rally, a one day ride) has a grand prize (a Kymco scooter). The journalists etc. compete for a case of beer, not in the main event. Perhaps the 2012 Cannonball should have a 'sponsored' class? Something to consider.
Addicted
GTS 250
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:41 am quote
Harvey wrote:
Just to mention it-
The Canadian Rally (Mad Bastard Rally, a one day ride) has a grand prize (a Kymco scooter). The journalists etc. compete for a case of beer, not in the main event. Perhaps the 2012 Cannonball should have a 'sponsored' class? Something to consider.
That'd be neat and all, but I am cool with a tshirt and sticker.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:45 am quote
FYI, Cannonballers. This morning I got a message in GMail saying my account had been accessed from Canada within the past 4 hours (while I was accessing it from the US for 2 days).

Change your passwords. One of the hotel's wifi was probably being sniffed.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:46 am quote
feb31st wrote:
Harvey wrote:
Just to mention it-
That'd be neat and all, but I am cool with a tshirt and sticker.
That you paid for, even
Beer Fairy
GTS-"Cannonball Bettie" Member Iron Butt Association
Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:03 am quote
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
And frankly, I'd be so crass to say if someone is able to miss out on 2 whole days and still have sufficiently high enough points to do well against everyone else, then it's just as likely the rest of the riders weren't keeping close enough to the baseline pace anyway, so that effort shouldn't be eliminated.
Agreed. If someone was that far ahead in points to still place well despite a day or two on the truck, then the other riders weren't trying.
I would have to say that as one of those riders , I was trying, there is a learning curve, on the first two days, regarding refueling and photo stops etc... also riding you own ride VS riding along with others who may or may not have your fuel range, BUT
and the day 3 ride through the rock climb and Mud of the Lewis and Clark Forest should not count against me. I could and would not leave Alice laying on her side in the mud, We as a group slogged through the mud pushing the scoots of some of our fellow riders and encouraging them as they negotiated the ruts on the way out.

What I am saying is that this is an endurance event, and if you DO NOT FINISH, no matter what the score, your place is at the bottom with the other DNFs, your score will still stand out admirably but not above the people who made it all the way , and I, by no means, was pussyfooting it and "not trying" my scooter hauled all my tools and raingear and My 375pound two up ass up all of those grades!, over some hellishly rutted and washboarded roads at speed.

Molto Verboso
LX150, MP3, Buddy
Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 am quote
Feb31st says:
"I have nothing against corporate sponsorships but why kill yourself trying to beat someone that is doing it for money?

Only hafta rider faster than 2nd place. =/ Hopefully 2012 brings more competitive riders - sponsored and not."

So Cannonball is Olympic rules? Amateurs only?

I remember your 2008 run being somewhat hectic.
Hooked
1977 Primavera ET3 , 2006 125 Genuine , SYM HD 200 ( run over by an RV). 05 Piaggio BV250 & 2002 Honda CBR F4i, 2002 HD Sportster 1200 XL , NO CAGE
Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:27 am quote
Harvey wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Here's a graph of the points for the 190 class
I'm super sad that I lost my passport. Otherwise I'd have at least had only lost the second half of aberdeen and then up to baxter. Then I'da hit the road again and gotten more points

As of now, missing a whole day, it's hard to feel good saying I did the cannonball.
Any one who manages that route on a Ruckus is legendary. Missed day or not.
+1,000
Hooked
1977 Primavera ET3 , 2006 125 Genuine , SYM HD 200 ( run over by an RV). 05 Piaggio BV250 & 2002 Honda CBR F4i, 2002 HD Sportster 1200 XL , NO CAGE
Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:43 am quote
In the end everyone can see their own failures, and the failures of the other riders. Its just out there for the world to see.

Woulda/coulda/shoulda.....

R

[/quote] From earlier post

Nicely put.

I think everyone has their reasons for doing the Cannonball, personal challenge being one.

Considering the weather and sometimes road conditions that were reported I think everyone is glad they took on the challenge... props to ALL riders who participated.
I wish I could have done it.
Good job!
Laura
Addicted
GTS 250
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 am quote
paige wrote:
So Cannonball is Olympic rules? Amateurs only?
I remember your 2008 run being somewhat hectic.
Not at all. Only saying that 1 sponsored "hardcore" rider against a group of unsponsored riders did create an odd dynamic. Just a fact. It would be awesome to have a sponsored SYM, Kymco, Piaggio, etc... rider for each all up against each other with factory prep'd bikes and deep pockets, along with the rest of us in the class.

My 2008 was a cake walk. The scooter had 800 miles on it. New rear tire and an oil change half way. Rest was minor rookie shit but nothing mechanical or major.

Last edited by feb31st on Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Resident Grump
MAC motor 2WD. 30 Oct 2006
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 am quote
Please assume the "what happens on Cannonball stays on Cannonball.." attitude. References to drama aren't necessary except to create more.

Reading about O.Z. was all the drama I needed. Thanks OZ, and great job!!!!
Beer Fairy
Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:51 am quote
mogeewogee wrote:
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
I would have to say that as one of those riders , I was trying, there is a learning curve, on the first two days, regarding refueling and photo stops etc... also riding you own ride VS riding along with others who may or may not have your fuel range, BUT
and the day 3 ride through the rock climb and Mud of the Lewis and Clark Forest should not count against me. I could and would not leave Alice laying on her side in the mud, We as a group slogged through the mud pushing the scoots of some of our fellow riders and encouraging them as they negotiated the ruts on the way out.

What I am saying is that this is an endurance event, and if you DO NOT FINISH, no matter what the score, your place is at the bottom with the other DNFs, your score will still stand out admirably but not above the people who made it all the way , and I, by no means, was pussyfooting it and "not trying" my scooter hauled all my tools and raingear and My 375pound two up ass up all of those grades!, over some hellishly rutted and washboarded roads at speed.

edited to say>>>> My two cents

and as anyone who was on Cannonball 2010 who got to know me would know..... that I always look for the good in any situation, I had an incredible experience, riding out with Simon, Matt, and Dave the driver... and rooming with the same all the way back. We had a way of speaking our piece and then laughing it off. F the Drama. It is what it is ... and there is no I in team, but there are three U's in Shut the F*ck up! Cheers to all my Fellow Cannonballers and I mean ALL of you!
Hooked
1974 Rally 200, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2010 Honda SH150i
Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:38 am quote
VEZPA wrote:
bagel wrote:
Aaron just arrived in Ortonville, MN on his C3 at 1:26am CDT. He's going to have a beer and pass out. Good night all, tomorrow is our longest day... wish us all luck and strong tailwinds!
Has he had to do any maintenance on that C3?
oil change, plug change, couple air filter replacements...but not that night. i rolled in extra late on account of assisting with oz's bike on the side of the road for a couple hours just east of mobridge, sd/missouri river. when it became clear his bike needed to be trucked, i went WOT ~50mph 200 miles solo away from the setting sun with an arby's stop in aberdeen.
Addicted
GTS 250
Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 pm quote
i am just now finding this.... if I missed it, I am sure not the only one - it was missing from all of the blog lists i think. laughing my ass off.

http://twitter.com/malecopywriter
http://malecopywriterblog.com -- start at the "end" (page 3) and read forward

Hooked
1974 Rally 200, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2010 Honda SH150i
Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:55 pm quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
glasseye wrote:
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Anyone else notice how much faster Aaron was when Oz was on the truck?

Makes me happy everyone arrived on one piece.

R

Yeah, definitely limited him on the flats. The Duluth day, he was able to stretch his legs so to speak. The C3 can, on the flats, push well past the Weapon.

On the hills, I have a particularly embarrassing picture I took of us crawling up a mountain. In frame, I have the GPS reading 7.2 MPH or so, and Aaron ever so slowly crawling up.

The Weapon was VERY consistent. hills never dipped below 27, no matter how steep or what the elevation was. Flats ranged from 35-42 or so on average. The C3 was much spikier in performance - 7-25 on hills (depending on grade, elevation), 40-48+ on flats. Aaron speculates its the variator config.

If he and I were competing, and not keeping pace with each other directly, I can guarantee I would have won the first 3 days (my ascents and descents were ahead of him, along with dirt riding), and maybe day 7. The rest he would have trounced my time, hard, with the flats.

Edit: there were in fact several days where it was clear that it was pretty necessary for us to keep pace with each other. The rain, the navigation errors, the hours we kept in the mountains, etc - we needed the other to keep the other on track or push forward. Otherwise it would have ended much worse than it did.
this trip was dangerous on a 50cc. i never would have done this trip without a skilled teammate. where riding solo into the cold night, 100 miles from aberdeen to ortonville on a 4 lane highway crawling with speeding 18 wheelers was unsettling on a 50cc, i'd much rather have done it at 35mph with a teammate than ~50mph solo. and that treacherous sault ste. marie to north bay leg, rainy day on a busy 2 laner, spending half the day on the shoulder? woulda thrown in the towel that day if i had still been running solo.

i was not in it for the points. without any meanness of spirit, i wanted to "prove" that a cheap 50cc japanese scoot could finish cannonball without any mechanical probs to speak of (as compared to high end, large displacement, italian bikes that i heard were suffering from headscratching issues in 08, fuel injectors, e.g.), and ask for more. oscar's choice of air filter is what did his bike in that day. i consider it a win for his bike nonetheless, as the bike was still running, when he decided to throw it on the truck.

that ruckus was a pack mule in the mountains compared to mine, and he like to bitch publicly about it, but let me clarify: they were brutal, unforgiving and many are closed during winter months. can't fault my overladen bike for lack of performance there when i didn't make any transmission mods before the trip. i'm glad i made it through on stock stuff, but for practical purposes, i am changing my 6 gram rollers to 5 gram, straight up. and i really would have needed like 4 gram rollers to keep up with the ruckus on those incredible mountains.

edit: i love the c3. i'm going to run it until it dies and then take it to a taxidermist to immortalize....but it does terrible at high elevation. something about >2500 feet or so just kills this bike's performance dead, like raid on roaches.
Ossessionato
Several - see sig
Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:07 pm quote
feb31st wrote:
i am just now finding this.... if I missed it, I am sure not the only one - it was missing from all of the blog lists i think. laughing my ass off.
Holy crap! That's hilarious! What a sense of humor, even in times of pain. Well done!
Resident Gentleman
--------2008 LX150-------- Dragon Red
Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:16 pm quote
feb31st wrote:
i am just now finding this....
Thanks for that link. I think that's the best account I've read so far.
Beer Fairy
Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:25 pm quote
danny*h wrote:
feb31st wrote:
i am just now finding this....
Thanks for that link. I think that's the best account I've read so far.
That's what Male Copywriter does for a living , write f**kin hilarious shit,
He is a whacked out hero in my book, wish the rigors of CBR allowed for more barstool time with Lawson.
Cheers, Murray
Ossessionato
GTS 300ie
Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm quote
feb31st wrote:

http://twitter.com/malecopywriter
OMG That was so effin hilarious

I loved his description of the sleep deprivation. The post on the 17th reminded me of the first month or two after my son was born, except I don't remember even getting 4-5 hours sleep a night. Plus, I couldn't medicate with drugs or energy drinks, unless I wanted to cause dain bramage to the little tike. Maybe the Scooter Cannonball Run is a way for men to experience the joys of being a new mother, without the dairy cow experience of course. I bet there was a lot of crying and even possibly dirty diapers
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:57 am quote
Tangentially related to cannonball: after riding the Weapon for so long at slow speeds, hopping back on my GT is a bit like riding a GSX-R. Freaky.
Addicted
MP3 250
Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:22 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Tangentially related to cannonball: after riding the Weapon for so long at slow speeds, hopping back on my GT is a bit like riding a GSX-R. Freaky.
It will be a few more weeks till we will be reunited with our scoots. Of course one of us will be spending a few long weekend putting their scoot back together.

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:56 am quote
Maroy wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
It will be a few more weeks till we will be reunited with our scoots. Of course one of us will be spending a few long weekend putting their scoot back together.

uhhh...

who is that? is it your water pump issue?

or did aaron and I have... issues with our bike placement in the trailer?

you've officially gotten me back to sad. awesome, homeslice.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 am quote
mogeewogee wrote:
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:

I was speaking purely from a hypothetical standpoint, based on the way the rules and scoring are set up. Not referring to specific people or events. If someone spends a whole day on the truck, that's a lot of points lost. Whether it's at the beginning or the end of the event, that's a huge number of points -- approximately 350, give or take. My reasoning here is that (again, all hypothetical) if someone is more than 350 points ahead by day 9, then the field is severely lopsided.

That's the point system. It doesn't distinguish between how many days you rode, just how many points each rider accumulates. It was set up specifically to allow people to receive credit for each leg of the event, with the specific goal of a partial-day DNF not necessarily knocking someone out of the whole event, just knocking them down in points. It has the intentional side effect of allowing someone who accumulates a lot of points to have a DNF day and still place reasonably well.

To borrow (and modify) a phrase from the legendary Rolf, that's the point of the points.

(And for reference, see the 2008 results -- the top three riders in the 250 class were separated by only 135 points, total. The top five were separated by 330 points. The top seven were separated by only 354 points -- about one day's worth of points.)
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am quote
One other thing: nothing wrong with sponsorship. I was sponsored in 2008, although it was less about cash (there was none) and more about access to someone (Max) who could overnight me what I needed.
Addicted
MP3 250
Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:02 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
uhhh...

who is that? is it your water pump issue?

or did aaron and I have... issues with our bike placement in the trailer?

you've officially gotten me back to sad. awesome, homeslice.
Don't be sad, you, Aaron, and Alice will be able to ride home from the drop off point. I on the other hand would not ride my scoot out of sight.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250, Several Lambrettas
Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:29 am quote

I finally made it to Bobo's house late yesterday afternoon, and yes bailing wire was involved. After a shower and a long nap, I can say I'm glad this particular odyssey has come to a close. I'm leaving the scooter here, taking the train home Saturday, and will come back in my truck to get it next month.

I'm so very appreciative of the well wishes and support. Not sure I would do this again, being the only old scoot made me pretty much an outsider. On that replacement stock 150 top end with grossly mismatched ports, my scooter was one slow dog. Anyone on a stock P could have come in way ahead of me any day. The whole points thing is really deceiving when you are in a class by yourself.

I'm so grateful too for Karen S hanging in with me for the entire journey, and Bagel for sticking with me on the way south after Portland.

Sorry I could not contribute more here during the ride. It was difficult most of the time to get internet or good cell/data service. I did manage to get a few pix and some blurbs of my progress, or tales of woe as the case often was here:

http://lambrettaodysseys.blogspot.com/

It was a pleasure meeting you Jess, and Rich, thanks for the help getting out of Grand Forks, or wherever we left on day 2.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:33 am quote
starreem wrote:
yes bailing wire was involved.
That's awesome. Kudos for an improvised field fix.
starreem wrote:
It was a pleasure meeting you Jess, and Rich, thanks for the help getting out of Grand Forks, or wherever we left on day 2.
My pleasure. And yes, that was Grand Forks.
Addicted
MP3 250
Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 am quote
Gas Expenses
Hey Starr love your handy work with the safety wire.

People often ask about the budgeting for the cannonball so here is one piece of the puzzle.

I spent $236.90 on Gas. That equates to about 75 gallons which means the MP3 got about 46 mpg. Not unexpected as the cannonball is often as simple as holding the throttle against the stop for hours on end until the tanks runs dry.
Drift Unit SC
1 Manual; 1 Auto; none other.
Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:07 pm quote
starreem wrote:
I'm so very appreciative of the well wishes and support. Not sure I would do this again, being the only old scoot made me pretty much an outsider. On that replacement stock 150 top end with grossly mismatched ports, my scooter was one slow dog. Anyone on a stock P could have come in way ahead of me any day. The whole points thing is really deceiving when you are in a class by yourself.
Are you kidding?! "Outsider", I think not. Being the only vintage rider on the ride, you rocked it like a badass black sheep. I've been following this thread since Bagel left to attempt the Iron Butt, and have had more respect for you, Oz, and Aaron (plus anyone else on a "slow" scooter). Big whoop, big displacements and you feel more comforatble. It's an iron soul that pushes beyond so many limits to see it through to the end.

Much props to you, Star!
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:44 pm quote
Starr, you were awesome, did awesome, and you beat us 50s kids
Banned
2:6
Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:05 pm quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Starr, you were awesome, did awesome, and you beat us 50s kids ;)
And that's better than anyone has ever done with a lambretta engine on the cannonball!

No, really! Starr averaged ~30mph, Kieran averaged 24mph in '08, Aaron averaged 27mph.
Ossessionato
07 GTS250, Several Lambrettas
Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 pm quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Starr, you were awesome, did awesome, and you beat us 50s kids
That was my daily goal, beat you two nutbuckets to the hotel every night.

I think you two guys might have an appreciation for that "outsider" sense as well. I showed up much later than everyone else, and you two, usually several hours later. Everyone else has enjoyed several beers, and probably a good meal by the time we rolled in. Run to the nearest fuel station, gas up, and grab a gas station burrito, yummm, and still needed to fix some broken jazz in the dark in the hotel parking lot. And the early starts didn't help either.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:32 pm quote
starreem wrote:
I finally made it to Bobo's house late yesterday afternoon, and yes bailing wire was involved. After a shower and a long nap, I can say I'm glad this particular odyssey has come to a close. I'm leaving the scooter here, taking the train home Saturday, and will come back in my truck to get it next month.

I'm so grateful too for Karen S hanging in with me for the entire journey, and Bagel for sticking with me on the way south after Portland.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear you made it all the way there Starr! It was a pleasure riding with you, roadside fixes, slow going and all. I wouldn't say that your bike made you an outsider per se, that feeling probably came from the long days and late night wrenching sessions that kept you busy, so that you just didn't see the rest of us enough. Be assured that we didn't think of you as an outsider though, we were always looking forward to and welcoming your arrival at the end of each day. And my hat's off to you for rocking the entire Cannonball on a Lammy this year! The only other person who's ever done that that I can recall was Kieran. I don't think any other Lammies have even come close, aside from Rob in 2004, until his unfortunate encounter with a semion the last day, and Volz and Mark H in 2006, who rode most of the days but each spent at least one or two on the truck, IIRC. I had really hoped that more vintage riders would jump in the ring this year, but it seems like nobody else had the guts to do it, even on a P. It would have been fun to see what the CSC 150 and the Symba could have done if Bobo and Bill could have joined us too. Maybe there will be more vintage/manual bikes in 2012, we'll see... I still have hope. The fact that you did it and you rode every mile this year is a testament to your determination and skill as a rider and a mechanic, so if I haven't mentioned it yet Starr, without question... YOU ROCK!
Drift Unit SC
1 Manual; 1 Auto; none other.
Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:44 pm quote
bagel wrote:
Maybe there will be more vintage/manual bikes in 2012, we'll see... I still have hope.
I still think you should run one of your Heinkels, with the second in the support truck as back-up. "Running hot" or not, those fawkers got ballz.

What about asking Sloan to help put in a Ninja 250 engine, like he did for his Rabbit?

Scooting the Ozarks is a scooter rally held in Eureka Springs, Arkansas offering riders scenic twisty rides, poker run, and more.   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   AF1 Racing Vespa Austin
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...16171819Next
[ Time: 0.2897s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1143s) ][ Debug on ]