The Official 2010 Scooter Cannonball Thread
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...171819Next
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:49 pm quote
I am sooooo tempted to go for this in 2012.

What's the record for the oldest rider who finished?
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:59 pm quote
So far, I believe it's Dewey at 77 years young, who placed 2nd in the 250cc class this year. I think he was up and raring to go earlier than the rest of us every morning! You should definitely do it in 2012 Jim!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:02 pm quote
OK - I hereby give notice I'm on the lookout for a well-worn stock GT200, cosmetic condition unimportant, and not actually required for about 18 months...
Beer Fairy
GTS-"Cannonball Bettie" Member Iron Butt Association
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:11 pm quote
jess wrote:
One other thing: nothing wrong with sponsorship. I was sponsored in 2008, although it was less about cash (there was none) and more about access to someone (Max) who could overnight me what I needed.
I had a similar deal with max @ Motorsport Scooters it was good to know that the motorsport scooters massive inventory was "just a day away" fortunately I did not need the extras that I had with me BUT I reaped the benefit of Dave(feb31st) having a brass exhaust nut, and He benefited from my purchase of a header"kit" from Max. Simon ( scooterme) got the plug and wire that max suggected I bring along in order to get him out of the "beef a roo" land.
now Max and Alex at Motorsport Scooters aka [url]scooterwest.com[/url] mentioned to me that they weren't sure that any cannonball sponsorships had paid off, My contention to them was I saw that you were well prepared and I bought from them due to CBR exposure and I would like to ask anyone reading this thread whenever they call or order anything from Motorsport scooters that they please mention their gratitude for the support that Motorsport has given Cannonball. and YES it does pay off! Motorsport parts were critical in getting many scooters to portland Maine. Period.

cheers
Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 pm quote
starreem wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Starr, you were awesome, did awesome, and you beat us 50s kids
Run to the nearest fuel station, gas up, and grab a gas station burrito, yummm, and still needed to fix some broken jazz in the dark in the hotel parking lot. And the early starts didn't help either.
What a tasty cannonball it turned out to be....just look at the above.

Aaron & Oz...."we are riding 50's cuz anything bigger is just too easy".....Way to show determination......Respect.

Karen on the red 250...."Think I'll take a swing through Alaska and visit the Arctic Ocean on my way to Vancouver for the start of CB10"....say again?......Respect.

But dam Star.....burn up your top end(the good one) at the first checkpoint of the first day...change it out on the side of the road...limp in around midnight.....don't get to bed until 2AM waking only to find your support truck has been stolen along with your tools, spares & oil.

To end up doing the entire ride nurse maid'n a wounded Lambretta after the first day kicked you and kicked you some more.....the wrench skills are awfully noteworthy but keeping it together(in your head) after the beating you took on the first day....for nine more days......Respect.

Lots of interesting people made the ride this year. Win!

R

Last edited by glasseye on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 pm quote
mogeewogee wrote:
jess wrote:
One other thing: nothing wrong with sponsorship. I was sponsored in 2008, although it was less about cash (there was none) and more about access to someone (Max) who could overnight me what I needed.
I had a similar deal with max @ Motorsport Scooters it was good to know that the motorsport scooters massive inventory was "just a day away" fortunately I did not need the extras that I had with me BUT I reaped the benefit of Dave(feb31st) having a brass exhaust nut, and He benefited from my purchase of a header"kit" from Max. Simon ( scooterme) got the plug and wire that max suggected I bring along in order to get him out of the "beef a roo" land.
now Max and Alex at Motorsport Scooters aka [url]scooterwest.com[/url] mentioned to me that they weren't sure that any cannonball sponsorships had paid off, My contention to them was I saw that you were well prepared and I bought from them due to CBR exposure and I would like to ask anyone reading this thread whenever they call or order anything from Motorsport scooters that they please mention their gratitude for the support that Motorsport has given Cannonball. and YES it does pay off! Motorsport parts were critical in getting many scooters to portland Maine. Period.

cheers
I've been merrily spending my money at Scooterwest over these past few months anyway. Knowing that they were CBR sponsors makes me feel that much better about them. Sponsorships and advertising aren't always about an immediate boost in sales, but more about building good will.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:31 pm quote
ThatBloodyStig wrote:
bagel wrote:
Maybe there will be more vintage/manual bikes in 2012, we'll see... I still have hope.
I still think you should run one of your Heinkels, with the second in the support truck as back-up. "Running hot" or not, those fawkers got ballz.

What about asking Sloan to help put in a Ninja 250 engine, like he did for his Rabbit?
I have thought about shoehorning an injected LX motor with a 190 kit into a Heinkel, but that would take me out of the manual class. I don't think I'd want to go so far as to put a Ninja motor in one of those, that would require an insane amount of fabrication work... not something you can just ask a friend to help you pop in.
Banned
2:6
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:48 pm quote
bagel wrote:
I have thought about shoehorning an injected LX motor with a 190 kit into a Heinkel, but that would take me out of the manual class. I don't think I'd want to go so far as to put a Ninja motor in one of those, that would require an insane amount of fabrication work... not something you can just ask a friend to help you pop in. ;)
Assuming there are manual/automatic classes next time...
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:01 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
bagel wrote:
I have thought about shoehorning an injected LX motor with a 190 kit into a Heinkel, but that would take me out of the manual class. I don't think I'd want to go so far as to put a Ninja motor in one of those, that would require an insane amount of fabrication work... not something you can just ask a friend to help you pop in.
DA-DA-DA-DUM!
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:14 pm quote
jess wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
bagel wrote:
DA-DA-DA-DUM!
On account of no manuals registering?

Honestly, no classes is fine by me, as long as there's less ATV commercial trails. Dirt? Ok. Hard core off roaring with rocks bigger than your head up steep grades and evil shit like that? I could live without.
Banned
MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:15 pm quote
Not chance I could do the ride, but might be willing to be a support truck next time. Alarm already installed
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:33 pm quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Honestly, no classes is fine by me, as long as there's less ATV commercial trails. Dirt? Ok. Hard core off roaring with rocks bigger than your head up steep grades and evil shit like that? I could live without.
That rock climb road was some crazy shit!

I am yet to see a photograph of it probably because everyone brave/foolish enough to climb it was hanging on for dear life, I know I was.

And then into the Mud!
Ossessionato
GTS 300ie
Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:54 pm quote
So speaking of sponsors, who provided the balls of steel that you all obviously had? Or did you guys/gals pick those up during the Cannonball?

I definitely don't like the idea of dirt, rocks, or mud, but maybe if it was a beater scooter and not my baby, then I wouldn't mind so much. Crazy thoughts are running through my head, but alas, I think their fruition will have to wait until my son is a little older and can fend for himself more (or enjoy tagging along with Dad in the support vehicle ).
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:57 pm quote
ScooterME wrote:
And then into the Mud!
You had to got there

Nothing like taking a flop into mud/cow shit

Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:05 pm quote
4n6iscool wrote:
ScooterME wrote:
And then into the Mud!
You had to got there

Ahhh. Brings back such lovely memories.

Ass of Granite
77 P200e
Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 pm quote
bagel wrote:
starreem wrote:
I finally made it to Bobo's house late yesterday afternoon, and yes bailing wire was involved. After a shower and a long nap, I can say I'm glad this particular odyssey has come to a close. I'm leaving the scooter here, taking the train home Saturday, and will come back in my truck to get it next month.

I'm so very appreciative of the well wishes and support. Not sure I would do this again, being the only old scoot made me pretty much an outsider. On that replacement stock 150 top end with grossly mismatched ports, my scooter was one slow dog. Anyone on a stock P could have come in way ahead of me any day. The whole points thing is really deceiving when you are in a class by yourself.

I'm so grateful too for Karen S hanging in with me for the entire journey, and Bagel for sticking with me on the way south after Portland.
Awesome, I'm glad to hear you made it all the way there Starr! It was a pleasure riding with you, roadside fixes, slow going and all. I wouldn't say that your bike made you an outsider per se, that feeling probably came from the long days and late night wrenching sessions that kept you busy, so that you just didn't see the rest of us enough. Be assured that we didn't think of you as an outsider though, we were always looking forward to and welcoming your arrival at the end of each day. And my hat's off to you for rocking the entire Cannonball on a Lammy this year! The only other person who's ever done that that I can recall was Kieran. I don't think any other Lammies have even come close, aside from Rob in 2004, until his unfortunate encounter with a semion the last day, and Volz and Mark H in 2006, who rode most of the days but each spent at least one or two on the truck, IIRC. I had really hoped that more vintage riders would jump in the ring this year, but it seems like nobody else had the guts to do it, even on a P. It would have been fun to see what the CSC 150 and the Symba could have done if Bobo and Bill could have joined us too. Maybe there will be more vintage/manual bikes in 2012, we'll see... I still have hope. The fact that you did it and you rode every mile this year is a testament to your determination and skill as a rider and a mechanic, so if I haven't mentioned it yet Starr, without question... YOU ROCK!
i must interject that my man, ron, did the 2004 cannonball on his servetta. nobody ever remembers him or what he accomplished, but i felt an honorable mention was due here. yes, he spent a day or 2 on the truck and even rode bobo's GT200 for 2 of the days, but i would not have been able to do what I did without his staunch support and daily bailing wire ingenuity.

i could not possibly give higher kudos to someone who does the cannonball on a lambretta. cheeers to you, starreem.

janice ashrat
Beer Fairy
Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:53 am quote
ScooterME wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
That rock climb road was some crazy shit!

I am yet to see a photograph of it probably because everyone brave/foolish enough to climb it was hanging on for dear life, I know I was.

And then into the Mud!
+1
Beer Fairy
Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:01 am quote
4n6iscool wrote:
ScooterME wrote:
And then into the Mud!
You had to got there

AND in the same picture, Directly in front of your cow-mud covered cowl, you can see where the PM Pipe bottomed up into the "plastic" of My GTS and sheared it off quite handily, those rocks would have been awesome on a dirt bike or 4 wheeler, I had to keep telling myself, it's a scooter, no skid plate, no skid plate!
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:46 am quote
TFauch wrote:
Here are some pics of the riders coming into Middlebury VT:

The 50cc riders

Tim
I lightened up the OZ image . It was a tad dark. Now you can see him. iIf you want, I could fix the original.

Sir Frets-A-Lot
Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 am quote
Fill flash, strength down a stop = your friend for goofy shadows
Molto Verboso
Nazgul
Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:15 pm quote
Acid_055 wrote:
i must interject that my man, ron, did the 2004 cannonball on his servetta. nobody ever remembers him or what he accomplished, but i felt an honorable mention was due here. yes, he spent a day or 2 on the truck and even rode bobo's GT200 for 2 of the days, but i would not have been able to do what I did without his staunch support and daily bailing wire ingenuity.
Hey Ashrat,

Not everybody has forgotten. I was right behind Ron when his hub finally gave out. It was that washboarded stretch of the original Route 66 that did him in. Plus, never forget all the heroics that went into keeping the exhaust system attached to that bike.

-John
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm quote
Day 11
After spending the week in Maine with the family, I put them on a plane in Portland and made my "Day 11" trip back to Maryland. ~546 miles of I-95 superslab in almost exactly 12 hours (I made plenty of pit stops) while hauling my two mounted spares and stuffed saddlebags (which I usually didn't do during the Cannonball).

The scoot ran fine and I had no trouble cruising at 65-70+ mph, though i did discover some further shortcomings of my aux tank venting scheme. I'll have to re-work it a bit before I do anymore long superslab days.

Much thanks to Bagel for keeping things running smoothly and to all the other Cannonballers. It was a pleasure to ride with everyone!

More thoughts later on what gear worked and what didn't...
Addicted
MP3 250
Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:26 pm quote
Re: Day 11
bklwashere wrote:
After spending the week in Maine with the family, I put them on a plane in Portland and made my "Day 11" trip back to Maryland. ~546 miles of I-95 superslab in almost exactly 12 hours (I made plenty of pit stops) while hauling my two mounted spares and stuffed saddlebags (which I usually didn't do during the Cannonball).

The scoot ran fine and I had no trouble cruising at 65-70+ mph, though i did discover some further shortcomings of my aux tank venting scheme. I'll have to re-work it a bit before I do anymore long superslab days.

Much thanks to Bagel for keeping things running smoothly and to all the other Cannonballers. It was a pleasure to ride with everyone!

More thoughts later on what gear worked and what didn't...
You did great, it was a pleasure riding with you and all the other cannonballers.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 am quote
Okay, now that I've had time to reflect a bit, here's some thoughts on what worked and what didn't.

First, let me say that the BV250 ran like a champ. I had no mechanical issues during the ride; all the issues I did have were either entirely my fault or "acts of god." I rode every mile under my own power and did all the gravel, dirt, and mud portions; when I was on pavement, I was usually WFO. Here are the problems I had:

- Busted front fender (my fault)
    - Torqued handlebars while trying to power out of the mud (my fault)
    - Minor issues with my aux tank set-up not venting well enough and letting water get sucked into the fuel system (my fault)
    - Screw in my rear tire (act of god)

Otherwise, I ran on the same belt, same plug, same exhaust gasket, and would have finished on the same tires had I not elected to change the plugged tire with a fresh one. I think the key is to keep the transmission stock; once you deviate all bets are off. The only maintenance performed on the ride was an oil change, belt inspection/clutch bell cleaning and air filter cleaning at the end of Day 5. The belt had ~1000 pre-Cannonball miles on it and now has almost 6000 miles (definitely time to change it). Overall, the bike now has over 15,000 miles on it.

My BV250 is the carbed version and it was definitely one the slowest 250s in the class. The GTSes blew me away, period. And the Sym RV 250s were also much faster. I suspect the fuel injected version of the BV would get you a better top end speed.

In terms of gear that was useful (in no particular order):

- Garmin Zumo 550 worked great and only steered me wrong once (again, my fault due to insufficient route planning).
    - Gerbing heated gear is a luxury but worked well and kept me toasty on cold mountain mornings.
    - Oxford HotHands grip wraps made an excellent back-up and I used them quite a bit when it was too warm to bother with the heated gear.
    - My Tour Tank was excellent and any issues I had were with my install, not the tank itself; I would definitely recommend it to anyone.
    - Air Rider gel pad was good, but couldn't work wonders after so many miles in the saddle. It definitely helped and was cheaper than an Air Hawk.
    - Sea to Summit dry bags were great and highly recommended.
    - EZ Air tire gauge (not the digital one) combined with a Slime mini air compressor kept my tires properly inflated.

My advice to anyone who is contemplating a Cannonball- 1) learn how to do your own basic wrenching (you don't have to be a mechanic, but learn the basics and be comfortable taking apart your bike). 2) Take some multi-day long rides (~350 miles/day) and see how you do. 3) If you make any changes to your bike, test the hell out of them in as many different conditions as you can.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:08 am quote
Why do you suspect the speed issue was due to the carb? In '08 my GT200, smaller and carb'd, thoroughly pissed off the GTS'
The Beer Guy
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:26 am quote
Thanks, Brian. You make it sound almost easy.

I hope that two years from now I'm as interested in giving it a go as I am right now. It has sounded like a fantastic adventure.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:27 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Why do you suspect the speed issue was due to the carb? In '08 my GT200, smaller and carb'd, thoroughly pissed off the GTS'
Just a guess, though I imagine having FI would also be helpful at elevation (where my top end really did fall off). Obviously there are other factors at play too.

And plus, you only weigh like 80 pounds. Wet.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 am quote
Chichikov wrote:

I hope that two years from now I'm as interested in giving it a go as I am right now. It has sounded like a fantastic adventure.
Preparation is the key. If you have a well-prepped, reliable bike and are prepared for some mechanical emergencies you will be okay. The other key is your route planning. During the Cannonball there were some days I was so tired I didn't get a chance to review the next day's route; I had to trust my pre-Cannonball GPS planning to deliver me to the right places (with enough gas to get me there).
The Beer Guy
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:44 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
Chichikov wrote:

Preparation is the key. If you have a well-prepped, reliable bike and are prepared for some mechanical emergencies you will be okay. The other key is your route planning. During the Cannonball there were some days I was so tired I didn't get a chance to review the next day's route; I had to trust my pre-Cannonball GPS planning to deliver me to the right places (with enough gas to get me there).
As is the case with many posts in the forum, what people write about is the things they had trouble with - parts failing, flat tires, grueling days, etc. No one tends to write that they had a beautiful, flawless, trouble-free day, therefore it's the difficult stuff that stands out.

I like to think that a year from now I'll have a better sense of whether I'm ready or not, then can spend the next year prepping (and saving vacation days money).

One of the things that stood out for me watching people arrive at the finish line was the look of satisfaction and accomplishment on everyone's faces. You all looked exhausted and in dire need of a shower and laundry, but you were all happy. I rode with ScooterME and Mogeewogee this weekend and asked if they were relieved to be done and back home. Without hesitation they both said that it was hard returning to real life and wished they were still at it.
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:54 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
... that and use an adjustment layer in Photoshop to adjust the curves to overcome the nasties that remain.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 am quote
TechGuy wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
... that and use an adjustment layer in Photoshop to adjust the curves to overcome the nasties that remain.
Get it with the camera

Heheheh
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:12 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Just a guess, though I imagine having FI would also be helpful at elevation (where my top end really did fall off). Obviously there are other factors at play too.

And plus, you only weigh like 80 pounds. Wet.
136 (pre cannonball)

I don't buy elevation. The GtS' lag as well. '08 had us for days above 7500 ft, and had us at a max elevation of almost 12k. My GT rode just as well, and often better, than the GTs'.

I think it's 3 things:
- aerodynamics
- gearing
- load
Addicted
MP3 250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
Okay, now that I've had time to reflect a bit, here's some thoughts on what worked and what didn't.
Well put, you did a great job.
Banned
2:6
Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:49 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Why do you suspect the speed issue was due to the carb? In '08 my GT200, smaller and carb'd, thoroughly pissed off the GTS' ;)

And plus, you only weigh like 80 pounds. Wet. :wink:
Looking at the way the bikes were loaded I'd bet the differences in top speed were down to wind drag. maroy had nothing sticking out beyond the stock frontal area and very little added surface area.
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:03 am quote
Chichikov wrote:
Do it Rick, it's a blast. I can see team ME in the future.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:06 am quote
So were thinking of Team Hawaii for 2012. Watch out you guys the islanders are invading.
Addicted
MP3 250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:11 am quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Looking at the way the bikes were loaded I'd bet the differences in top speed were down to wind drag. maroy had nothing sticking out beyond the stock frontal area and very little added surface area.
Along these lines in 2008 almost everybody "tucked" by leaning forward. In 2010 the preferred posture was knees against the leg shield, arms fully extended so that one was lying back on the saddle or as close as possible. This appeared to be especially comfortable if you had a soft gear bag attached to seat. Of course the Ruckus (250) and Helix make getting into this reclined position much easer.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 am quote
Maroy wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
Well put, you did a great job.
Thanks, Mark. It was great riding with you and having your help in the parking lot each night if wrenching was needed.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:53 am quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Perhaps. Though contrary to some of the pictures, I rode most days with no saddlebags and no spare tires, only a dry bag strapped to the pillion. Honestly, I was suprised on Day 11 (when I was fully loaded down) on how little performance I lost on the top end.

But I'm still convinced that the GTS is faster than my BV, based on riding instances where I don't believe loading or weight differences were a significant factor.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:46 am quote
Maroy wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Along these lines in 2008 almost everybody "tucked" by leaning forward. In 2010 the preferred posture was knees against the leg shield, arms fully extended so that one was lying back on the saddle or as close as possible. This appeared to be especially comfortable if you had a soft gear bag attached to seat. Of course the Ruckus (250) and Helix make getting into this reclined position much easer.
welllllll....

so, I mean, I think the way that we approached it was differently back then. The way that Jess, Rich, Joel, and myself chased each other throughout the day was in constant competition. A lot of the mods the 250 class did, or the way we rode, was specifically about making sure you kept that lead you had over the person next to you. So you spent all day tucked forward and paid for it later, but kept your place.

granted, I don't have personal experience into how competitive the 250 class approached it this year, but I will say the point spread is high enough to make me think it was less about that daily struggle to maintain your place (or advance), and more about completing the challenge.

2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...171819Next
[ Time: 0.3818s ][ Queries: 23 (0.1334s) ][ Debug on ]