The Official 2010 Scooter Cannonball Thread
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...171819
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
But I'm still convinced that the GTS is faster than my BV, based on riding instances where I don't believe loading or weight differences were a significant factor.
The GTS is very fast. I'm biased, obviously, but I know it to be an excellent Cannonball bike.

Oz's comments about his GT should be taken in context: he had a freakishly fast GT, the likes of which have never been seen before or since. He was also carrying much less weight, at least some of which was because I was carrying more gas and tools than he was (ahem). The two things together made for a GT that, in that one specific situation, was very competitive.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Vespa GT250ie/L, Honda Ruckus 50, Honda NT700V, Honda CB125
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:18 am quote
jess wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
But I'm still convinced that the GTS is faster than my BV, based on riding instances where I don't believe loading or weight differences were a significant factor.
The GTS is very fast. I'm biased, obviously, but I know it to be an excellent Cannonball bike.

Oz's comments about his GT should be taken in context: he had a freakishly fast GT, the likes of which have never been seen before or since. He was also carrying much less weight, at least some of which was because I was carrying more gas and tools than he was (ahem). The two things together made for a GT that, in that one specific situation, was very competitive.
I think my point was that I dont' think an FI BV would have made a huge difference

My GT with a GTS engine isn't as fast as my old GT. Faster off the line, slower at the top end.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
My GT with a GTS engine isn't as fast as my old GT. Faster off the line, slower at the top end.
Until you put the wrong head gasket on it, anyway.

(Measured the thin metal and the fiber gasket this past weekend -- the fiber gasket is 4x the thickness...)
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:44 am quote
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Until you put the wrong head gasket on it, anyway.

(Measured the thin metal and the fiber gasket this past weekend -- the fiber gasket is 4x the thickness...)
It was what they had as the standard stock part.

There went my compression.

Performance mod? What are you and patrick manufacturing these days anyway?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Not manufacturing anything, just building a performance engine...
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:24 am quote
jess wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Not manufacturing anything, just building a performance engine...
I mean, if you're not manufacturing anything now, you should make those gaskets. I am partially convinced that gasket had a part in my freakishly fast GT.
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 am quote
Maroy wrote:
oopsclunkthud wrote:
Looking at the way the bikes were loaded I'd bet the differences in top speed were down to wind drag. maroy had nothing sticking out beyond the stock frontal area and very little added surface area.
Along these lines in 2008 almost everybody "tucked" by leaning forward. In 2010 the preferred posture was knees against the leg shield, arms fully extended so that one was lying back on the saddle or as close as possible. This appeared to be especially comfortable if you had a soft gear bag attached to seat. Of course the Ruckus (250) and Helix make getting into this reclined position much easer.
No such luxury on the LX with a hair over 11 hp I tucked when I could and drafted anything that passed me including mogeewogee. The other key thing for me was to run as light as possible! I took a risk by not carrying tools and spare parts to stay light and hoped that the less weight would cause my scoot to stay together longer as opposed to being heavy causing more wear and tear which could cause a break down. For me it paid off.

Preparation was also a big key factor for me. I knew the route inside and out and pre-planned my route in the GPS and checked it twice! I can gladly say I didn't not make a single wrong turn.

The LX had no mechanical problems what so ever on this trip. Everyday I checked my oil and tire pressure and adjusted if needed. At the end of day 5 I cleaned out my airbox/filter, replaced my rear tire and did an oil change. At the end of day 6 I inspected my belt and rollers. The rollers and belt looked good so a didn't change my rollers but partly b/c Lawson's LX belt broke the day before and partly b/c I had a malossi belt with 6600 miles on it I decided to swap it out with a new OEM belt.

All of my gear performed awesome BUT two things I need to work on for next time.

1-I need better rain gear! I got soaked on day 8

2-I need music on the GPSr. I ran out of time and did not get this done and fell asleep while riding TWICE in South Dakota on Day 5. You know you fell asleep when you can't hear anything! Tunes definitely would have kept me up.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm quote
4n6iscool wrote:
Preparation was also a big key factor for me. I knew the route inside and out and pre-planned my route in the GPS and checked it twice! I can gladly say I didn't not make a single wrong turn.

Pay attention, folks. Preparation is the most important part of Cannonball.
Beer Fairy
GTS-"Cannonball Bettie" Member Iron Butt Association
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:42 am quote
jess wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:

Pay attention, folks. Preparation is the most important part of Cannonball.
As Matt's (4in6) roomie throughout the CBR I can say that Matt was very much "on task" organized and disciplined the entire time. from his pre event GPS and Fuel Mgt planning to his daily routine. He stuck to his start time, packed his lunch and worked his plan.
BUT while those are all quite admirable behaviors, Matt ALSO....
Helped his other Northeast teammates with their GPS Routing, myself for one, and fuel planning, and even got up out of bed at midnight to run out and change the rear tire and do maintanence on HIS COMPETITOR's LX 150, at the end of Day 5

Wicked Big Cheers! Mattie Boyee!
PS there is a roumor that Matt found a nice GT 200 in CT......shhhh
Hooked
GTS 250ie
Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:09 am quote
mogeewogee wrote:
+1 many thanks 4n6
Addicted
MP3 250
Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:40 am quote
ScooterME wrote:
mogeewogee wrote:
+1 many thanks 4n6
Not that there is such a vote or category but if there were Matt (4in6) would get my vote for "Rookie of 2010". Murray and crew (mainly Dave the driver) would win best support vehicle even though all the support crews were awesome. Murray just seem to have everything one could need.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:58 am quote
Totes. If I do 2012, I'll be on a 150 I don't own yet. The guy I'd be watching out for is Matt hands down.
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
The guy I'd be watching out for is Matt hands down.
He was on fire when he reached the finish line. It would take me at least a dozen cans of Red Bull to get that jacked up.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, BV 500, Buddy 125
Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:48 am quote
Hats off to you guys. I've ridden 629 miles on a Burgman 400 in one day and it just about wiped me out (unintended, road work and a subsequent detour added almost 100 miles to that day) and 1300 miles in 3 days on a BV 500 and 630 miles in 2 days on a Vespa GTS 250ie but no way I could have dealt with those dirt/logging/boulders.

The mere mention of those would prevent me from ever attempting a canonball. Well, that plus the fact that I don't wrench and have no intention of ever doing so. Though if someone else was doing the wenching AND there were no off paved roading, then you could count me in.

To the 50cc'ers, you have brass ones. I don't even like riding a 50cc on the Farm to Market roads here in Houston. It did make for interesting reading though.
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:20 pm quote
Chichikov wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
The guy I'd be watching out for is Matt hands down.
He was on fire when he reached the finish line. It would take me at least a dozen cans of Red Bull to get that jacked up.
To say I was elated is an understatement. All I wanted was not to see the Yeager in the lot as a got there but all I saw was a pair of GTVs and blew right by them to the waters edge looking for Mark, Brian, or Dave but I found no one. I just could not believe Chichikov when he said I was the first to arrive!

I still can't believe none of the 250 made it to be finish line before me. I am curious of how my overall time for day 10 ranks compared to the 250s because I was speed racering it the whole day.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:28 am quote
I'm vaguely betting you and Cory beat the majority of the group.

I think you would have had fun in '08 with us if you had your GT then or you'd have been constantly stressed. One of the two.
Addicted
2006 Piaggio BV250
Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:17 am quote
4n6iscool wrote:
I still can't believe none of the 250 made it to be finish line before me.
I suspect it had to do with my self-imposed restriction with regards to riding on the sidewalk
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:23 am quote
bklwashere wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:
I suspect it had to do with my self-imposed restriction with regards to riding on the sidewalk
I don't remember riding on the sidewalk but I did invade a bike lane or two
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:59 am quote
4n6iscool wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:
Tsk tsk.

Bike lanes are for bikes! just ask Aaron.

(long story I won't get in to here)

Meanwhile, I believe our sidewalk rider was Cindy, 'kthxbai.
Addicted
GTS 250
Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:41 am quote
4n6iscool wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:
ahhhhh.... yeah i tapped on when you passed a line of cars at a traffic light on a side walk on the right!

you road like a mad man day 10, loooook out!
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:47 am quote
feb31st wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
4n6iscool wrote:
ahhhhh.... yeah i tapped on when you passed a line of cars at a traffic light on a side walk on the right!

you road like a mad man day 10, loooook out!
Damn, I still don't remember using a sidewalk but I did use a bike lane or two to get to the top of the light. But if you say so I have to believe it since you had a front row seat to my madness and I was in the zone.

To my defense it was the last day of cannonball and I did not know the points for day 8 and 9. All I knew is that it was close so the spirit of the cannonball took charge and I left it all out there on day 10. If I would have know I was up by 70 points I would not have ridden as aggresively as I did...
Hooked
LX150, GT200
Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:50 am quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Tsk tsk.

In the big apple you do what you have to do to get around. It is only Tsk tsk if you get caught. So, don't get caught!
Hooked
1974 Rally 200, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2010 Honda SH150i
Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:33 pm quote
TheO.Z. wrote:
Tsk tsk.

Bike lanes are for bikes! just ask Aaron.

(long story I won't get in to here)

bike lanes are for mopeds, too. that's what the citation says i was riding, and that's the story i'm sticking to.
p200
Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 pm quote
oopsclunkthud wrote:
bklwashere wrote:
TheO.Z. wrote:
Why do you suspect the speed issue was due to the carb? In '08 my GT200, smaller and carb'd, thoroughly pissed off the GTS'
Just a guess, though I imagine having FI would also be helpful at elevation (where my top end really did fall off). Obviously there are other factors at play too.

And plus, you only weigh like 80 pounds. Wet.
Looking at the way the bikes were loaded I'd bet the differences in top speed were down to wind drag. maroy had nothing sticking out beyond the stock frontal area and very little added surface area.
all im saying to that is cheese wedge.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 pm quote
So that's how you were faster than Roy
Addicted
BV500 - GTS250
Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:05 pm quote
Bagel,

Karen and I are a definite yes for the 2012 CBR.

So you think I should ride a Symba? Karen will totally dust me if I did. I don't really want to ride alone all day. Sounds like it would be a hoot though on what amounts to an oversized moped. Maybe I can get two and we'll both cruise along at 50 MPH.

Those 2 50cc'ers and the the Lammys this year are so awesome and an inspiration to me. I might just do it on the Symba just to approach that level of awesomeness. Can't wait!
Addicted
GTS 250
Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 am quote
pdxscoot wrote:
Don't say that... kiss of death! Everyone who definitely early commits never makes it... the cannonball gods will curse you.
Addicted
MP3 250
Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:34 am quote
feb31st wrote:
Don't say that... kiss of death! Everyone who definitely early commits never makes it... the cannonball gods will curse you.
Ain't that the truth.
Sir Frets-A-Lot
Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:40 pm quote
Maroy wrote:
feb31st wrote:
Ain't that the truth.
I made it!

Of course, I had pretty bad luck...

Stupid tire
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super and 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:41 pm quote
feb31st wrote:
pdxscoot wrote:
Maybe I should take another tack...I don't see how there's any way I can make it to Cannonball in 2012
Hooked
Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:08 am quote
Pistol Pete wrote:
Left from Salt lake City late afternoon and in 250 miles. Currently in Twin Falls Idaho, not much to see so far but hell of a lot o bugs. Riding into the late afternoon sun SUCKS!

Coulda said hi to my fiancee
Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:04 am quote
I guess I'm experiencing a bit of post Cannonball decompression, and I've finally slogged through all pages of this thread I had not previously read. I'm compelled to make a few observations about the ruggedness/reliability/challenge/etc. of driving a GTS in Cannonball:

Two years ago, I drove coast to coast and back, 8800 miles total on a GTS, on which I had already clocked a bit more than 8000 miles. In one direction, I drove from NC to just outside of Las Vegas in five days. (If My destination actually was the left coast, I would have been six days). On the return, I drove back in 15 leisurely days. (mostly along Hwy 50, the 2008 Cannonball route).

The only problems I encountered was a dodgy coolant temperature sensor in the smothering desert heat, which I eventually just ignored and it stopped malfunctioning once I got out of the heat. I also felt compelled to change the one rear tire I had used (new Michelin Gold Standard when I started the trip) within the last 400 miles due to apparent bulging. I recall the tire likely had +800 miles of tread left. I did change the air filter once I got to the left coast; after a week of driving though the canyons of NM, AZ, CO, and UT, it seemed clean enough nonetheless. I changed the engine oil midway through the journey. I had performed all the prior required regular maintenance on my scooter myself. My scooter was totally bone stock, with no performance upgrades installed.

Driving a water-cooled, fuel injected, modern scooter across this country is a very different experience from driving an air-cooled, carburetted antique. YMMV. Maybe this topic should be a thread upon itself....

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123...171819
[ Time: 0.2432s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0669s) ][ Debug on ]