I have a permanent, elegant solution to the sticking fuel door.
The problem, it turns out, is that the arches of the lid are molded a bit off, and there's no way to simply adjust the placement of the pivots at the ends of the arches or to move the depressions in the cover where the pivots sit.
I used a heat gun to soften the plastic, then bent the arches down and a bit inward (because the spring tends to bend them outward.) This required heating the web between the arches as well as the arches themselves. I took a good 10mm out of the curve, i.e., the empty space of the "C" shape. It's hard to tell how much is really necessary because I previously removed material from the latch end. The gap on the latch end is now slightly greater than that on the hinge end. The release mechanism works just fine on the bench. If the lid pops open while riding, I can just bend the metal latch a bit, but it seems quite secure.
The plastic is very tractable when warm, and it only takes a few seconds for the gun to soften it, so be careful not to overheat it. Also be sure the plastic is completely cooled before reinstalling the lid back into the cover (a few minutes in the freezer should suffice).
The arches don't want to come out of the cover; it takes a bit of force to pop them out, and even more to get them back in after narrowing the gap. Also the spring is a bit of a PITA to get back onto the pivots.
Distance from pivot to front edge of the lid after modification. Narrow the gap by 5mm to 10mm, depending on how off-center your lid is.
Looks pretty cockeyed, but once installed the pivots line up straight.
Last edited by ramblerdan on Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total