How would one keep their scooter from being stolen?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
none yet =/
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:35 pm quote
I'm often worried of getting mines picked up and slapped to a truck bed and buh bye... (my future vespa or any scooter that is)

Where do you guys normally park these? Would it be generally safe to park in the parking lots with cars? Alarm system and locks? Can you riders please tell me your own ways to keep your scooter secure from thieves. Thank you in advance. =]
Molto Verboso
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:47 pm quote
Re: How would one keep their scooter from being stolen?
kekkiumai wrote:
I'm often worried of getting mines picked up and slapped to a truck bed and buh bye... (my future vespa or any scooter that is)

Where do you guys normally park these? Would it be generally safe to park in the parking lots with cars? Alarm system and locks? Can you riders please tell me your own ways to keep your scooter secure from thieves. Thank you in advance. =]
chain it to a pole..!! ... other then that they are typically safe unless you live in an unsafe neighborhood...
Hooked
Vespa LX 150
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm quote
My first defense is good insurance. That being said, I'm in the market for a "bigass obnoxious chain". For now, I try to park in front of the shop with the most people looking out the window at it... primarily as the grocery getter and errand runner, it doesn't sit unattended too long in the first place.

Hope that helps!
ps: momma always said, if someone wants something bad enough, there's nothing you can do to stop them
Molto Verboso
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm quote
irieman wrote:
ps: momma always said, if someone wants something bad enough, there's nothing you can do to stop them
+10000 people will not stop until they get what they want..!!! Like mentioned above... HUGE CHAIN=less chance of getting it stolen
Ossessionato
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:53 pm quote
Get theft coverage insurance. Get a grip or disc lock. Stop worrying.
If someone wants it, they'll take it no matter what you do. Like any motorcycle or car.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
'12 Genuine Buddy 170i TARDIS
Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:56 pm quote
If someone wants your scooter badly enough, they will steal it. Unfortunately, it's a rotten truth you just have to get used to. Good insurance is a must.

Besides that, there's chain locks, cable locks, disc brake locks, grip locks, and alarms. Be aware of where you park. For places that you park at often for long periods of time (like where you work), let people know that you're concerned about your scooter, and would appreciate them telling you if someone sees anything suspicious. Get familiar at your local scooter and motorcycle shops. If your scoot is ever actually stolen, they'll be on the alert for you.

Even just being seen often is a help. I live in a smallish town, and I've got the only modern Vespa that I'm aware of. I have a bright noticible jacket, and people all over town that I've never even met know about me. I'd like to hope that if my scooter is ever seen being ridden by someone not wearing a ton of pink gear, somebody would report it.
Addicted
GTS 250i.e.
Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:41 pm quote
People do lift bikes up and put them in vans as a way of stealing them - however they only steal bikes worth a lot of money - expensive sports bikes which are under 1 year old are their favourite.
Enthusiast
Vespa GTV 250ie
Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:34 am quote
I have a Scorpio alarm which has a remote transmitter fob, so no setting off the alarm myself accidentally, and it alerts me of any 'incidents' if close by (seems to work up to an average of 200 metres — more if I am outdoors).

It also has a perimeter alarm which warns off anyone who gets too close!

It was expensive, but gives peace of mind in parking lots, etc. when a chain is often a bit impractical and things like disk locks and grip locks a bit of a pain (though I think these are a good low cost deterrent and may suit you).

Of course, nothing will stop professional thieves if they really want to take the scooter.
Hooked
GTV 250i
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:34 am quote
Nobody would steal it if you tie a pit-bull to it. But then again that could cause a financial liability calamity. So I would just get the proper insurance.
Hooked
2011 GTS 300 Super Sport
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:58 am quote
Park it in a "high traffic" area. I also got the vespa alarm. It's just loud enough in a high traffic area probably make some give up on taking it.

FULL coverage insurance is cheap.
Hooked
1998 ET4
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:03 am quote
I can't stand the really passive attitude a lot of people seem to take towards security on this forum. The kind of people who want to steal scooters are not some master-race with godlike intelligence and cunning. If you buy a good quality chain and padlock, lock your scooter to something solid, chances are no one will steal it.

To those who say "why worry, I have insurance", aren't you concerned about what your next year's insurance premiums will look like when you come to renew?
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 am quote
Quote:
they are typically safe unless you live in an unsafe neighborhood
Quote:
however they only steal bikes worth a lot of money
Sorry, please to disagree with the above. http://scoot.net/stolen/
Quote:
Get theft coverage insurance
Quote:
If someone wants your scooter badly enough, they will steal it.
I agree.

I guess a lot depends on where you live or work.

I have a grip lock and cable. I use the grip lock all the time, and the cable when my worry-meter goes up. At home, I park the scooter inside my fenced in yard (I still use the grip lock) and tell the dog he won't get any treats if someone steals it. On the road I try to park it where it's highly visible, if not to me, at least to others.

You do what you can.

But nothing is as good for your peace of mind as full coverage.
honda reflex 250, ET 50 black
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:26 am quote
theres nice plastic coated cable locks in walmart for about 15 dollars bottom line if they want to get it they will just make it a little harder
Molto Verboso
Piaggio BV500
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:34 am quote
At night, my scoot is garaged. During the day while I'm at work, I park it in a covered area on a pedestrian walkway nowhere near vehicular parking. If someone wanted to steal it, they would have to carry it a good distance in broad daylight past a lot of folks.
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:41 am quote
scooterguy347 wrote:
theres nice plastic coated cable locks in walmart for about 15 dollars bottom line if they want to get it they will just make it a little harder
That's the kind of cable I have. It's light enough to coil up in the bottom of the pet carrier so it's easy to bring along.

It's also the kind of cable that was cut through when my scooter was stolen. I just bought another.

Why? Well it goes back to the point that they will get your scooter if they really, really want it. I mean, who walks around with a tool strong enough to cut a cable? A super-big heavy cable would have been better but I would end up not using it because of the inconvenience, and anything you don't use is worthless no matter how strong it is.

I take the same approach with the grip lock: No, it's not going to prevent someone from trucking the scooter away. No, no lock or cable is perfect theft prevention. But I do what I can to prevent casual theft.
Hooked
GTS 250
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 am quote
I park my scooter at work in a fairly secure area (behind the building and behind a fence with an automatic gate opener). I also use a chain that I wrap around a pole and thru the chrome bar that wraps around the back of the seat. My question is, am I wasting my time with the chain? How hard is it to get a chain off of that bar or cut thru the bar etc.. Granted, if the place I parked was less secure I would expend a little more energy locking it up thru the wheels and around a post but under the present circumstances is this sufficient? What do you guys think?
Enthusiast
GTS 250
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:14 am quote
I use two different proactive methods. Full coverage insurance is my primary method because it goes back to if they want it they'll get it and I at least wanna get paid if they do! Number two is the cable lock I think it just keeps the honest guy from stealing it or at least will make them look a lot more suspicious when they're stealing it.

I hate thieves
Ossessionato
2011 GTS 300 Super 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:21 am quote
Listen to the hairs on the back of your head.
Ossessionato
2010 GTS 300 Super "Yukihime" 2013 BV350 "TBD"
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:49 am quote
My work area is regularly patrolled by a security company. That said, I park my scoot in the only motorcycle parking space in the lot, which just so happens to be right next to the rear entrance door. The only thing I have to worry about is the smell of cigarette smoke on my scoot, as that's also the smoking area.

Quite honestly, unless I was parking it somewhere overnight in a big city or a dodgy area, I never use anything more than the steering lock. For those dodgy areas, I have a grip-lock.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:25 am quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum. Cupertino the land of the Mac I have one on these a Lock Alarm and it has 120dcb alarm that goes off if you cut it It wakes the dead. You could get a cover for it also. At the end of the day if someone wants it it's theirs. Just use common sense. Park near the attendant in parking garages at least it'll be obvious that some one is stealing it. A lot of our 2 wheeled parking here is near them. Good luck and what model are you thinking about.

xtarrows.jpeg.jpg

none yet =/
Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:35 pm quote
judy wrote:
Aloha and welcome to the forum. Cupertino the land of the Mac I have one on these a Lock Alarm and it has 120dcb alarm that goes off if you cut it It wakes the dead. You could get a cover for it also. At the end of the day if someone wants it it's theirs. Just use common sense. Park near the attendant in parking garages at least it'll be obvious that some one is stealing it. A lot of our 2 wheeled parking here is near them. Good luck and what model are you thinking about.
hey thanks. where can i buy this one? can i have the name of it please?
Enthusiast
GTS 250
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:38 pm quote
judy wrote:
I have a cable lock made by Masterlock that is very heavy duty, got it at Home Depot but I think I will be replacing it with one of these Lock Alarms, thanks for the info Judy!!!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:48 pm quote
DominicLNanni wrote:
irieman wrote:
+10000 people will not stop until they get what they want..!!! Like mentioned above... HUGE CHAIN=less chance of getting it stolen
I draw exactly the opposite conclusion from irieman's comment from what you do.

If someone wants my scoot bad enough that they are not going to be stopped by REASONABLE deterrents (GripLock, moderate weight cable lock, disk lock, etc.), then they can have it and insurance can compensate me.

Carrying 25 pounds of monster chain and lock around all the time (especially when there is often nothing of equivalent strength to attach it to) is NOT reasonable in my book.

I use a GripLock for quick stops and the same alarmed cable as Judy if I'm staying longer in an iffy neighborhood.
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 Super - red, of course and a 2012 Stella 4T 'four-on-the-paw' in black
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:20 pm quote
How about slathering the scoot with "Help Stamp Out Ebola" stickers?

Or E. Coli, or whatever!
World Traveler
Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 pm quote
KEK it's called Lock Alarm. Just google it and viola While nothing will help if they want it, i like this alarm and it's small and fits nicely in the glovebox.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie, 2010 4T Stella 150
Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 pm quote
Aerostich sells them, too.
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:21 pm quote
Re: How would one keep their scooter from being stolen?
kekkiumai wrote:

Kek,

What size bike do you think you will be getting and what environment will be parking in at home and at your primary work/school/play environments?

A small 50cc or 150cc bike will provide different challenges and opportunities than a larger 250cc/large wheeled or MP3 scoot.
LX 125 - 2006
Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:10 am quote
I live in a city (Paris, France) where bike/scooter/motorcycle theft is very common. We have a parking lot at our office and a underground parking but I never park my scooter there. I just park it in front of the neighbour building with dozen of scooters and motorcycles, the building is a TV Channel building with 2 security guards and cameras so it's pretty safe.
I don't even lock it with a chain or disc brake, I just remove the key and cross the street.
'05 ET4
Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:58 am quote
@Kek

something not mentioned so far is that a Modern Vespa over a classic has a built in theft deterrent in the immobilizer key system. There is even a flashing light on the dash indicating the system is armed.

I feel it worth mentioning only because a casual thief tried to nab my first vespa back in 1980....but he couldn't even get past the column lock?

@Judy thanks for the Lock Alarm tip!
LX 125 - 2006
Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:00 am quote
As an alternate solution to the Lock Alarm mentionneed by Judy, I have this Xena U-Lock which includes a 110db siren alarm :
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/bullett/main/XULSeries/XUL210/page1/

I paid 70 euros for mine (= little less than $100) and I really like it, very nice stainless stell, shock sensitive alarm...)
Hooked
2010 GTS 125 Super 'montebianco'.
Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:17 am quote
For parking at home, if you can park off the street, I would suggest you get a Hardi secure (or equivalent) Ground Anchor with at least 3 tonnes of force resistance and a 16mm chain pass through capability.

You also need a chain like the Almax or Pragmasis series III or IV. a 16mm case hardened chain is pretty theft proof (can't be bolt cropped, hacksawed e.t.c.), again, ensure the chain is CASE hardened and NOT THROUGH hardened this is why the oxford monster fails miserably.
Make sure you wrap the chain around the floor board of the scoot and pass the chain link through another link to shorten it off!

As well as the chain and anchor you'll want a Grip Lock which you can also use when out and about along with an alarm u-lock on the rear wheel.

Hope this helps!
Addicted
AUTO. & TRAD.
Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 am quote
Just leave the keys in it, they'll think your watching it and steal someone else's pride & joy.
Ossessionato
2013 GTS 300 Super - red, of course and a 2012 Stella 4T 'four-on-the-paw' in black
Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 am quote
lloyd125super wrote:
For parking at home, if you can park off the street, I would suggest you get a Hardi secure (or equivalent) Ground Anchor with at least 3 tonnes of force resistance and a 16mm chain pass through capability.

You also need a chain like the Almax or Pragmasis series III or IV. a 16mm case hardened chain is pretty theft proof (can't be bolt cropped, hacksawed e.t.c.), again, ensure the chain is CASE hardened and NOT THROUGH hardened this is why the oxford monster fails miserably.
Make sure you wrap the chain around the floor board of the scoot and pass the chain link through another link to shorten it off!

As well as the chain and anchor you'll want a Grip Lock which you can also use when out and about along with an alarm u-lock on the rear wheel.

Hope this helps!
What is the difference.. never mind, here it is:
http://www.precisionheattreat.com/difference.html
World Traveler
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:19 am quote
The nice thing about the Lock Alarm is the length of the cable. When i go away the LT gets covered and i have enough cable to wind it thru the grommet on the cover and the tires with enough room left over room to go around a concrete pillar. LX has it's own locked shed. I think i paid around $30 which is reasonable. Also the battery is in the middle of the "box" so you have to use the key to get to where you can open the chamber when your replacing the battery. A safeguard so some one can't disable it without the key.I have 2 of them one for each scooter.
Ossessionato
65 Sprint, 2008 150S
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:23 am quote
Good insurance and lock it up to a stationary object. I was worried about my bike being stolen too, but I have relaxed knowing it can be replaced.
Destroyer of Worlds
Beverly 125, Vespa GT200
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 am quote
I park anywhere and everywhere, good parts and bad parts of SF, with no lock other than the built-in steering lock. My current neighborhood is a couple of blocks away from the projects. I have never had a problem other than one time it got towed for parking tickets. If it were to get stolen, I have full-coverage insurance.

So far the worst that's happened is it's been backed into once or twice by people who don't know how to parallel park.

I say stop worrying and enjoy your new ride. Insure it appropriately, so if something happens to it, you'll enjoy the next one just as much!
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 am quote
I guess for my money, I would start with a Grip Lock. It's difficult to move the bike with the grip on. You would basically need to lift the bike to steal it and if they ware willing to lift it to steal, almost nothing is going to stop them.

I was going to write more about why but this site did it for me:
http://tinyurl.com/24vx4do wrote:
Conclusion
The lock hasn’t let us down in the two weeks we’ve been using it but I do have a nagging feeling that it is a little more fallible than other alternatives.

The lock acts as a highly visible deterrent making a potential thief think twice. However outside of quick stops or perhaps daytime parking we wouldn’t trust the device as the sole method of securing your scoot on the streets of NYC.

Pros

* High-visibility.
* Unfamiliarity to thieves works in its favor.
* No need to get down in the grime with a disc brake lock or forget it’s there.
* Nice option for vintage bikes.
* Compact and relatively lightweight compared to a chain.

Cons

* While the lock never failed us, we do have some concerns over the ability to simply tug the lock loose on some scooters.
* Best used in combination with a chain lock.

Buying the Grip-Lock
The Grip-Lock is available directly from the manufacturer. $59 with free worldwide shipping.

from
http://tinyurl.com/24vx4do

If you want more, the Fugedabout or another heavy chain but I hate the idea of lugging about a 20 pound chain and dealing with it in bad weather it getting dirty.

This is why I have insurance.
Hooked
2010 GTS 125 Super 'montebianco'.
Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:10 pm quote
Raputtak wrote:
What is the difference.. never mind, here it is:
http://www.precisionheattreat.com/difference.html
Your citation answers your own question....

"lt is important to choose the correct steel and the appropriate process to achieve the desired end result. For moderate strength with moderate surface hardness choose a medium carbon steel - through hardened.
For a very hard surface where a lower core strength is acceptable choose a low carbon steel - case hardened"

This is also the case on the Almax website...
"All Immobiliser Chains have a ductile core and extremely tough case hardening, this makes them impervious to hand held bolt croppers & also ensures that they can withstand brutal impacts".
Enthusiast
07 LX 150...silver!
Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:12 pm quote
I use a big obnoxious Kryptonite chain with bright orange disc lock. Not a big deal to carry, it just rides around in the pet carrier. I have a cable as well.

If I park at work (public place) I just go with a mid-level security - chained to the grip bar behind the seat. Not the most secure, I know, but you have to be ballsy to try to saw through that bar in broad daylight.

I also keep an additional cable lock so that I can chain to the frame in a high-risk area.

For low-risk areas, I can use disc lock only, or nothing (although I always lock the steering.)

Overnight at my place. No security other than a big dog and a huge hill to tote the scoooter up. Scooter is parked in my carport, and is covered by a disgustingly old and nasty weber grill cover.

By the way, I got the "noose" style krypto-chain . That allows you to get the most distance with the least amount of chain. Great design, plus if you are like me and you own expensive bikes, the chain / lock can serve double duty if called upon to do so.

-raj
Addicted
Vespa S125 in white
Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:21 pm quote
As a condition of my insurance, I have to have a big-a$$ chain with shackle lock. The one I have seems to weigh a tonne. I intend to use that to lock the bike to an immoveable object when parking up somewhere and it is more than 6 feet away from me! I also want a secondary lock - and may utilise one of my Krytonite D-locks for my bicycles for that purpose.

I work on the theory that if someone really, really wnats the bike, it'll go, but I should be able to lock it *enough* to deter opportunistic theft.
2014 Fall MP3 Gathering - Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 123Next
[ Time: 0.3873s ][ Queries: 32 (0.2011s) ][ Debug on ]