@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
This just started happening a couple of days ago. I can start it and it will idle but when I twist the throttle it just dies. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?
@silver_streak avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@silver_streak avatar
2007 Vespa LX 190, 2011 LXV150ie
UTC quote
Re: My Et4 dies as soon as I give it gas?!
nitegaunt wrote:
This just started happening a couple of days ago. I can start it and it will idle but when I twist the throttle it just dies. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas?
Classic "gunk in the carb" symptoms from bad gas. Try running some SeaFoam through it first. If that doesn't do the trick, a more extensive carb cleaning involving disassembly is probably in order.
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
+1, what Dave said.
Your main jet is likely clogged.
@techguy avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's

Ossessionato
@techguy avatar
UTC quote
You could also have a vacuum leak. Check to see your hoses are plugged in.

Did this start happening directly after a fill-up?

Did the bike get tipped on it's side for any reason?
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I've actually ran seafoam through it very recently. In the last couple of weeks. But I guess it could be so gunked up that it needs more than that. It hasn't been tipped over and it started just a couple of days ago. I did get gas just before that but I always use the same gas from this place that has 93 octane with no ethanol.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
TechGuy wrote:
You could also have a vacuum leak. Check to see your hoses are plugged in.

Did this start happening directly after a fill-up?

Did the bike get tipped on it's side for any reason?
Also, if you suspect the bike has original fuel lines, the ET-4s were renowned for badly aging fuel lines (crack, crumble, etc) which may be worth a look-see. If the fuel lines are orig., they are likely no longer pliable to the touch, and who knows whats happening inside of them. They are worth replacing.
@scooterbeagle avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9

Addicted
@scooterbeagle avatar
Vespa ET4, GTS 250ie (thanks to 'Baudler'), Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (again, thanks to 'Baudler''...damn that 'Baudler'), Enfield, BMW f650gs, Guzzi V9
UTC quote
My 05 ET was doing the same thing a few months ago - I ran carb cleaner through it and also unhooked the evap hose as I never bothered to in the past - I think that was the real problem. It had run for 5 years and thousands of miles never having an issue then out of the blue it began cutting out as soon as you would roll the throttle. But, after I did those 2 things, I have never had another problem.
You could also replace or clean your air filter.
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I just replaced the fuel line a few weeks ago. Fuel tap was good, also. But the original fuel line was cracked. I was having starting problems before doing that end replacing the spark plug.
@techguy avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@techguy avatar
UTC quote
You replaced A fuel line or ALL the fuel lines?

I was just at a supply store and the fuel line I purchased was $1.68 USD a foot. I was buying it for use a break-bleeding hose but...

Pretty cheap to replace all of the fuel lines with new hoses and remove that as an issue all together. I did not know ET's had fuel line issues. With all the new ethanol-laden fuels out there now, many of the older fuel lines are shedding their interiors to your carb/FI and gumming up the works and causing all kinds of havoc.

If the bike had been sitting for while, the evaporation of the ethanol fuel could have been a cause.

I asked if you had just filled as it could have been bad fuel (not common) or your evap system was over-flowed into and it will not run correctly until it is drained or it evaporates enough to breathe correctly (or removed).
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
I just replaced the one fuel line that runs from the tap to the carb. I use fuel that has no ethanol from the same station every time and I disconnected the evap as soon as I got the bike a few months ago.
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
accelerator pump? that was the issue on mine few months back. if you press the pump on your carb you should hear a "tsst" sound. no sound=bad fuel pump. hope that helps

woocash
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
I'm sticking with a clogged main jet. It is the most likely cause for this symptom.
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
stinkyjones wrote:
I'm sticking with a clogged main jet. It is the most likely cause for this symptom.
I remember you saying that about my ET4 as well Razz emoticon

woocash
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
w00cash666 wrote:
stinkyjones wrote:
I'm not saying I've never been wrong.

9 times out of 10 on an ET with this symptom, it's going to be a clogged main jet. It's possible that the seafoam and the changing of the fuel line dislodged a piece of gunk.

You can never go wrong with scrubbing down a carb--especially if the scoot has been sitting for an extended period.
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
stinkyjones wrote:
w00cash666 wrote:
stinkyjones wrote:
I'm not saying I've never been wrong.

9 times out of 10 on an ET with this symptom, it's going to be a clogged main jet. It's possible that the seafoam and the changing of the fuel line dislodged a piece of gunk.

You can never go wrong with scrubbing down a carb--especially if the scoot has been sitting for an extended period.
just a little joke 8)

I have to say that before the fuel pump I have done all that seemed to be logical (changed spark plug, cleaned carb, changed rollers, belt, fuel line, fuel tap) than a REAL mechanic put his hand in my scooter and said: "well, the accelerator pump's buggered"

no offence, mate!

woocash
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@stinkyjones avatar
UTC quote
w00cash666 wrote:
just a little joke 8)

I have to say that before the fuel pump I have done all that seemed to be logical (changed spark plug, cleaned carb, changed rollers, belt, fuel line, fuel tap) than a REAL mechanic put his hand in my scooter and said: "well, the accelerator pump's buggered"

no offence, mate!
None taken. Cheers!
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Well, it seems like the consensus is on the carb being clogged. I don't know. I've never taken one apart so I'm hesitant about trying to do it myself. Where is this pump you were talking about connected to the carb?
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
Look at the carb and pull the throttle. You will see it moving. It's on the right side of the carb. It's plastic and it's black.

woocash
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Only thing that fits that description is the thing that has the black plastic cap over it. Can't remember what it's called. It's the thing that has a little pin that moves up and down inside it. Now the bike won't even start. It just tries like it's going to and never does. Like it's not getting gas or something but I don't see a leak.
@araw avatar
UTC

Hooked
'04 ET4 190 +hotcam, Scorp Exhaust, Stereo. SPEED HOLES!

Hooked
@araw avatar
'04 ET4 190 +hotcam, Scorp Exhaust, Stereo. SPEED HOLES!
UTC quote
That happened to me and I unplugged the evap hose and all was well in Zion. Even if it doesnt work, leave it unhooked. I hate it. Nothing but problems.

Good Luck.

Aaron
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Only thing that fits that description is the thing that has the black plastic cap over it. Can't remember what it's called. It's the thing that has a little pin that moves up and down inside it. Now the bike won't even start. It just tries like it's going to and never does. Like it's not getting gas or something but I don't see a leak.
I think you are talking about the auto choke, mate. The pump is beeing pushed by the idle screw when u adjust it. if you pull the throttle you can see it pulling on the carb. that's where the pump is. Maybe somone here has a photo. Maybe the one on your scooter is different to mine. I really don't know. hope that helps

woocash
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL
UTC quote
The photo below shows the accelerator pump (not the same as a "fuel pump" used in a fuel injected scooter) outlined by the green box. The accelerator pump provides that squirt of fuel needed to get the motor going as it comes off idle. If you twist the throttle and you don't see or hear the squirt of fuel, then 1) You don't have fuel or 2) your accelerator pump isn't working properly. Check the pivot point on the accelerator pump lever that I circle in red. Sometimes this part gets gummed up and the black plastic lever can't rock back and forth to activate the accelerator pump.

You mentioned that you replaced the fuel line. There are two lines going to the tap. One provides vaccum to open the tap, the other brings fuel from the tap to the carb. Make sure you don't have these lines reversed. See the second picture below... red circle is where the fuel line goes, green circle is where the vaccum line goes.

-Craig

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart

Hooked
125 et4 with an LX heart
UTC quote
[quote="caschnd1"]The photo below shows the accelerator pump (not the same as a "fuel pump" used in a fuel injected scooter) outlined by the green box. The accelerator pump provides that squirt of fuel needed to get the motor going as it comes off idle. If you twist the throttle and you don't see or hear the squirt of fuel, then 1) You don't have fuel or 2) your accelerator pump isn't working properly. Check the pivot point on the accelerator pump lever that I circle in red. Sometimes this part gets gummed up and the black plastic lever can't rock back and forth to activate the accelerator pump.

You mentioned that you replaced the fuel line. There are two lines going to the tap. One provides vaccum to open the tap, the other brings fuel from the tap to the carb. Make sure you don't have these lines reversed. See the second picture below... red circle is where the fuel line goes, green circle is where the vaccum line goes.

-Craig

Thanks for that, mate. I knew somone had those photos somewhere. It's so much easier ...

woocash
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Wow! Thanks for those photos. I'll go out and have a look in a bit and then post back.
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Ok, I had a look. It appears that I did change the correct fuel line and the vacumn line doesn't seem like it has any cracks and it feels secure. Also, it doesn't feel brittle like the fuel line that I replaced did. As far as the accelerator pump goes, the rocker arm seems to be working and makes a little sound when I twist the throttle while the bike is off. It does look pretty dirty though. I bought a can of carb cleaner. Can I spray some on it? How could I use it without removing the entire carb? I've never done that before so I'm a bit hesitant.
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Ok, I had a look. It appears that I did change the correct fuel line and the vacumn line doesn't seem like it has any cracks and it feels secure. Also, it doesn't feel brittle like the fuel line that I replaced did. As far as the accelerator pump goes, the rocker arm seems to be working and makes a little sound when I twist the throttle while the bike is off. It does look pretty dirty though. I bought a can of carb cleaner. Can I spray some on it? How could I use it without removing the entire carb? I've never done that before so I'm a bit hesitant.
Yoy spray it (aerosal carb cleaner) through the carb as the bike runs...it'll choke and smoke and thats the cleaning process at work. Disconnect the air filter intake so the cleaner doesnt contact the rubber intake hose. Spray directly into the carb body. You will have to work the throttle linkage to keep the bike running as you spray through.

Position yourself upwind of your scooter....the stuff is noxious.
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
Well the scoot won't start so can I still spray it in there?
@gogogordy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@gogogordy avatar
UTC quote
nitegaunt wrote:
Well the scoot won't start so can I still spray it in there?
DOH! Well, you can, but it won't be very effective. Is it not starting a new developmemt?
OP
@nitegaunt avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
ET4

Enthusiast
@nitegaunt avatar
ET4
UTC quote
It won't start at all. Just tries and tries but it seems like it's not getting gas or something. I just changed the plug so I know it's getting a spark. I'm getting really frustrated and I'm thinking the longer I let it sit the more problems I am gong to run into like the battery running down for one thing.
@vespergeezer avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS300, Cosa LX200

Addicted
@vespergeezer avatar
GTS300, Cosa LX200
UTC quote
Def-
get the battery charged up if you've not done so already, so at least the electrickery side of things should be ok. Then if you get it running, spray the carb cleaner into the carb while you have it running at a fast idle. It'll try to stall, so be ready to blip the throttle.

If there are clouds of white-grey smoke out the exhaust, there's every chance that some crud that shouldn't be in the carb has been dissolved and blown away. Carb cleaner is cheap, so go for the spray job first, then if not, you may need to to remove the carb and get up close and personal with your cleaning project!

Good luck! Geeza
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0480s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0213s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]