@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Jess, I'll vouch for Max. He knows what's going on with scoots in KC better than most, and he's been involved in it for longer than many of us have been into scooting.

I will agree that the head mechanic is a knowledgeable guy, and even mentioned it myself above. I don't really know any of the current sales staff in the shop, so I can't and won't comment on them.

My suggestion to Ralfie is to go back in and talk to Jason. Let him know you're interested in a GTS250ie, and want to know when you can get one. If you are truly serious, offer to put down a deposit. I am pretty much positive that Jason will be able to get you the information you need. If you are still not satisfied with the Vespa dealer here, I would do some soul searching about getting one. Demon Larry is a good guy, and from what I've been hearing will treat you right. That said, do you want to have to go hundreds of miles to get your bike serviced? If you're not happy enough to buy locally, will you be happy with subsequent services locally? It's in your best interest to give Vespa KC another shot and go to the top.

To those who are feeling sorry for us here, don't feel bad for KC. We've got a lot of really good things going, and I'm very excited to be a part of a new renaissance of scooting in my locale. I think most other KC scooterists would probably say the same.
UTC

Banned
1979 P200e, 2002 ET4, Your Mom

Banned
UTC quote
I thought I was answering a personal attack. But that just goes to show you how different things look from other view points.

Cheers,
Brother Max
Crusaders S.C.
www.crusaderssc.net
@cindy avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 Vespa LX150

Molto Verboso
@cindy avatar
2006 Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Crusader Max wrote:
I thought I was answering a personal attack.
Ralfie wasn't attacking anyone, he just said no one at the dealership showed any interest in him during his 3 visits.
@addicted avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Consume Less & Share More

Ossessionato
@addicted avatar
Consume Less & Share More
UTC quote
Good observation Cindy. This topic turned into a pointless train-wreck. Thank goodness nobody was permanently injured in the aftermath. Peace.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
addicted wrote:
This topic turned into a pointless train-wreck.
It's a talent I have. I'll try not to excersize my skills too indiscriminately.

Cheers,
Brother Max
Crusaders S.C.
www.crusaderssc.net
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Bryce Ludwig wrote:
If you're not happy enough to buy locally, will you be happy with subsequent services locally?
There is often a world of difference between the sales dept and the service dept. Lots of Vespa boo-teeks even have the two at different locations. Many motor vehicle and "powersports" delares have bad sales staffs but brilliant service people. Be friends with the service people. They will all probably still be there, working in the back where you can't see 'em, long after most of the sales staff has turned over.

If the retail sales dept is not what you'd hoped for, who cares? It's something you'll have to put up with once or twice. But if a dealership has a bad service department, well that is something you're going to have to deal with for as long as you own the scooter.

So buy it wherever you feel comfortable. And consider how good (or bad) the service people are, because they are the ones you're going to have to live with.

Maybe all the talent is in the back and the dorks are out front. That would be a GOOD thing!
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
I did say that the service person at Vespa KC is good, and he is also pretty good with sales, and that's who Ralfie should talk to. In all seriousness, if you want a place around to service your scooter, it sure helps to buy it from them initially to keep them in business.

The Vespa shop in KC isn't like one of those big powersports dealers (at least not right now). It's not very big, nor is the staff there. If a person doesn't like dealing with that shop, then they might want to reconsider buying a product that would normally be supported by that shop. The other shop in town works on Vespas (new and old) pretty regularly, but the GTS250ie is more complicated than previous models. Some of those diagnostic tools might only be available to Vespa shops.

I wasn't telling Ralfie he shouldn't buy elsewhere, but needs to make an honest and frank evaluation of how comfortable he is with Vespa KC, and whether he can get service elsewhere for it. Because if he doesn't like Vespa KC and doesn't have anybody else who has the equipment to work on the GTS250ie, it seems like his option will be to go the hundreds of miles back to Vespa Ohio to get things fixed. He just needs to consider all the aspects of his purchase.
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Good points, but I definitely disagree about the suggestion that he reconsider a Vespa product just because the dealer has a weak sales staff. I'm sure they would take care of a GTS' service needs regardless of who owns it or where it was purchased.

Heck, buy it over the phone and have it shipped. But, if it's what you want, get a GTS!

I personally believe strongly in supporting local business, never go to WalMart or Home Depot, rarely eat at chain restaurants, etc. I'll often pay more for good local service. But there's a limit to my patience when it comes to *poor* customer service, especially on a large purchase.

Like I said before, as long as your Vespa store has a good service department then who cares about the sales staff? People buy cars & cycles from out-of-town dealers all the time, and then have them serviced locally. It's not like the service people ask where you bought it, or even care.
@beale avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
None! I sold it :(

Ossessionato
@beale avatar
None! I sold it :(
UTC quote
One issue with sales vs service staff. My dealer/sales/owner/ is to an extent "the service guy". He did my first and second service himself. Only recently has he hired a guy to help with service. Only issue is the new guy is not yet Vespa trained.

In areas that vespa has very little exposure, or very few dealers this can be the issue. The sales have to reach a point where they can afford a seperate service person. When this is the case bad sales people "sometimes" also means bad service people.

Not saying this is true in KC but it can be an issue in a small market, Beale.
@bryce-o-rama avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Peugeot Looxor

Ossessionato
@bryce-o-rama avatar
Peugeot Looxor
UTC quote
Bzzz wrote:
Good points, but I definitely disagree about the suggestion that he reconsider a Vespa product just because the dealer has a weak sales staff. I'm sure they would take care of a GTS' service needs regardless of who owns it or where it was purchased.
That's not the point. And you're right, if he bought it elsewhere, Vespa KC would still be obligated to work on it. My suggestion is not just about the sales staff. He needs to do his homework, and decide if he likes the shop or not. It's not always possible to deal directly with the service people instead of the sales staff. If he considers the shop apathetic overall, then it would be important to decide if that's ok when it comes service time. I'm saying to evaluate the shop as a whole, and make your decision based on that, and availability of alternative service facilities. If he can't find somebody locally to service it that would make him happy, then he shouldn't be buying one. That's what I'm saying. However, if he likes the service department, he should give them a chance to get his business getting the bike too. It's important to support you local shops.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0703s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0414s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]