More Speed!! I want my LX 50 to go faster. What do I do?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:06 pm quote
I just got an LX50. Its a great looking bike, but slllllloooooowwwwwwwww.

Yeah. Slow folks. So, what are people doing out there to make a vespa LX50 go faster?

Can you tweak the clutch for the CVT? Can you get a new ECU on Ebay? Is there a rev limiter that can be removed? Whats the deal here folks.

I am dying to know.

Thanks.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Reprehensible Misinformant
Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:39 pm quote
Re: More Speed!! I want my LX 50 to go faster. What do I d
Pokey wrote:

Yeah. Slow folks. So, what are people doing out there to make a vespa LX50 go faster?

Can you tweak the clutch for the CVT? Can you get a new ECU on Ebay? Is there a rev limiter that can be removed? Whats the deal here folks.

I am dying to know.

Thanks.
It's a 4-stroke with not much (any?) aftermarket go-fast stuff.....Maybe your dealer will help you trade-up to a 150? I honestly think your options for speeding it up are quite limited. Perhaps somene out there knows something about the LX50 soup-ups I don't....?
Addicted
et4 and px150
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:04 pm quote
Pokey wrote:

Personally, I would sell it and invest in a 150 or 200cc scooter before putting too much money into the 50, but you do have some reasonably priced options...

See: http://www.scooterwest.com/item/ET2--Performance/240/
Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:06 pm quote
as max once said, 'there's not much you can do to make those little guys go faster.'
getinthecar

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:29 pm quote
There a number of options available here to get some additional top and low end torque out of the LX50 powerplant. Several of these options are not only bolt-on, which is clearly the way to go for a shakey mechanic like yourself, but they are also easy on the wallet.

What you're going to want to do is to go out and buy approximately 30 cans of chunk light tuna (not solid white--this will gum up your fuel system). Oil or water packed does not matter. See image below for detail on what product to buy:

Pop each can and proceed to pack gas tank, engine oil fill hole, and tranny gear oil hole with tuna until it is packed in there HARD. It's got to be packed tight or else your belt will split and your tranny will grind into the case when you are trying to haul around your 250+lb. girlfriend.

Next, remove the variator cover. Remove the belt and continue to fill this area with another application of tuna pack. Replace cover and torque the bolts down to factory settings. Here is a demo of how this application should be done:

You should basically be able to just fire the bike right back up now without waiting. But be careful because the tuna pack will most likely produce significantly more horsepower than you are used to handling. See photo below for detail on what happens when a shakey rider such as yourself rides their tuna mobile too hard:

Finally, when you have completed these bolt on mods, your finished scooter should look like this (please note that this bike now has a whopping 35HP at the rear wheel. I cannot promise this exact result, but you will be up there in horsepower and tunatorque):

Pokey wrote:

I am dying to know.

Thanks.
[img][/img]
Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:33 pm quote
Considering the price of an LX50 and a Fly 150...
Have you thought of trading up?

Dave
getinthecar

Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:39 pm quote
EUH!

The fly 150 looks like a polished piece of made in china turd.

You win the award for worst suggestion of 2006!
dolawren wrote:
Considering the price of an LX50 and a Fly 150...
Have you thought of trading up?

Dave
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:40 pm quote
no
Fly 150s are naaaaaaasty.

I'm starting to think that maybe there arent too many serious mechanics on this forum.

So far the bolt on Tuna kit suggested by getinthecar is looking like the best option.
Hooked
BV350
Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:58 pm quote
Re: no
Pokey wrote:
Fly 150s are naaaaaaasty.

I'm starting to think that maybe there arent too many serious mechanics on this forum.

So far the bolt on Tuna kit suggested by getinthecar is looking like the best option.
Did you ride the 50 before you bought it? They are what they are, the best you can do is a 70CC kit upgrade carb, piston & cylinder, pipe, installation & tuning.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:16 pm quote
Re: no
Pokey wrote:
i, for one, have never been a serious mechanic.
if you're serious all the time, then you don't have any fun.

enjoy the tuna, homeslice.

best,
-greasy
Enthusiast
The CH80
Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:16 pm quote
A good friend of mine spent mega bucks (2,000USD) trying desperately to get his aprilia 50 to do some serious speed. He unleashed all that Taftspeed in England had to offer - variators, rolloers, kevlar belts, big bore carbs and he even placed a larger cylinder displacement kit on it, making it no longer a 50cc.

His work resulted in two responses by the bike. Slightly faster accleration. When he tweaked it the other way it resulted in slightly higher top end speed (5-10mph). Regardless, even at these higher speeds the bike had ZERO oomph left to pass etc. His pre-nightmare speeds of 45ish were enhanced to 52 ish. He was fundamentally limited by a low torque, low horsepower engine. It may have functioned like a hampster on crack but it was still just a hampster. He emotionally self-destructed and sold the bike for a huge loss and bought a 200cc bike. He is now very happy and curses the day he allowed the salesman to convince him that "hop-up parts could get this baby up over 100!"

Unless you love tweaking bikes and understand the results, save yourself the pain - in the States, where we don't have complex levels of motorcycle licensing the require you to drive lower cc engines based on experience, the cheapest, most effective engine enhancement is to purchase either a bigger engine and swap it out or buy a new bike with a bigger engine. If you don't feel confident doing the work yourself a serious mechanic/fabricator can easily drop a 150/200/250 engine into your scoot. You are going to pay financially but it is cheapest. If your bike is available with a 150 on the showroom floor, start hunting for a trashed 150 bike and swap it out.

Best,
Stephen
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:00 pm quote
.::OFFTOPIC::.
It seems I m not the only one with a 50cc,(yay )
.:................::.

Now for real, I have a 2-stroke Lx, even limited to 45km/h ( haven´t made first service yet), it packs quite a puch.
If you want to compare the 4-stroke with the 2-stroke motors
go here :2-stroke engine and 4- stroke engine

I think that the only things that can put some more performance into your bike are the malossi kits

Andre
Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 pm quote
not much you can do with a 50 fourstroke, and don't worry about the 'ugly' fly 150, its going to be so far ahead of you it will soon be a memory
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:04 pm quote
Hey, nothing against the Moped Army or anything, but if you two (David Rosner and Tad Curtz) want to troll, I'd really appreciate it if you did it elsewhere. We've got no beef tuna with you.

I hear ScooterBBS.com is a pretty good trolling ground.

Last edited by jess on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:48 pm quote
Why yes.....
Trolling for tuna can be an effective method of catching them. I prefer to cast from a boat into the breaking water along rocky outcrops when the surf is breaking though.

In other news.... My new LX is still a slug.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:51 pm quote
Re: Why yes.....
Pokey wrote:
In other news.... My new LX is still a slug.
Unfortunately, I fear that's unlikely to change.
Enthusiast
Black GTS
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:58 pm quote
Mergner wrote:
A good friend of mine spent mega bucks (2,000USD) trying desperately to get his aprilia 50 to do some serious speed. He unleashed all that Taftspeed in England had to offer - variators, rolloers, kevlar belts, big bore carbs and he even placed a larger cylinder displacement kit on it, making it no longer a 50cc.

His work resulted in two responses by the bike. Slightly faster accleration. When he tweaked it the other way it resulted in slightly higher top end speed (5-10mph). Regardless, even at these higher speeds the bike had ZERO oomph left to pass etc. His pre-nightmare speeds of 45ish were enhanced to 52 ish. He was fundamentally limited by a low torque, low horsepower engine. It may have functioned like a hampster on crack but it was still just a hampster. He emotionally self-destructed and sold the bike for a huge loss and bought a 200cc bike. He is now very happy and curses the day he allowed the salesman to convince him that "hop-up parts could get this baby up over 100!"

Unless you love tweaking bikes and understand the results, save yourself the pain - in the States, where we don't have complex levels of motorcycle licensing the require you to drive lower cc engines based on experience, the cheapest, most effective engine enhancement is to purchase either a bigger engine and swap it out or buy a new bike with a bigger engine. If you don't feel confident doing the work yourself a serious mechanic/fabricator can easily drop a 150/200/250 engine into your scoot. You are going to pay financially but it is cheapest. If your bike is available with a 150 on the showroom floor, start hunting for a trashed 150 bike and swap it out.

Best,
Stephen
little bit of geography for you TAFFSPEED is not in England........
Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:59 pm quote
Clutches
Is there anybody who has tried a Polini or Malossi adjustable clutch on an LX?

Those are only around $125, while a kit to upgrade to 78cc is over $400.

Jess, please stop insulting me.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:01 pm quote
Re: Clutches
Pokey wrote:
I daresay I haven't insulted you yet, Tad.
Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:02 pm quote
Who the efff are you talking about anyway?
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:08 pm quote
Pokey wrote:
Who the efff are you talking about anyway?
http://www.friendster.com/user.php?uid=4328633
Sergeant at Arms
Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:40 pm quote
Re: Clutches
Pokey wrote:
Is there anybody who has tried a Polini or Malossi adjustable clutch on an LX?

Those are only around $125, while a kit to upgrade to 78cc is over $400.

yes i tired the malossi clutch. without the extra cc's of the big bore kit and a variator it's pretty pointless.

basically you need the peripheral tuning components to compliment the top end kit, but the components by themselves really don't add up to much.

at the end of the day, you should either learn to live with the 50 being slow, or be prepared to sell it and upgrade.

also, jess hasn't said anything insulting to you. but, as your pal, i'd recommend you tone it down a notch; before he tires of your shenanigans. MV is a little more low-key than what you may be used to.

best,
-greasy
Ossessionato
Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:42 pm quote
He has a Peugeot, he can't be all bad.
Molto Verboso
'07 LX150
Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:55 pm quote
I recommend a pickup truck, some tie downs, and a road with a speed limit over forty five mph.

Seriously, why did you buy a 50cc when you could have gotten something at the speed you needed? Or is it you're maybe not allowed to ride a bigger cc bike because of registration or lack of license?

Nothing wrong with the LX50. You just want something to be something it isn't, and was never intended to be. Sorry but that's not reasonably going to happen.

Actually 50cc's are pretty cool for what they are. I wouldn't mind one.

the Roadbum
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS 250ie, and a GO-PED hehe!
Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:04 pm quote
you can de restrict 50cc machines. but theyll still only do 45mph flat out. but the reliability is comromised significantly. i did it with my old moped. it died!
Ossessionato
Scooterless at the moment
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:22 pm quote
You could also try to find an MB5...Almost bought one in 1982.

http://www.thecreeper.net/mymb5.htm

Failing that...Aprilia SR 50 perhaps?

http://www.aprilia.com/modelli/scooter/modello.asp?id=95&lin2=eng

Dave
Enthusiast
gts250ie black mamba
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:27 pm quote
i love my lx50
it is really cool
and functional
and safe
and it goes about
70km /hr
but when i got
it the dealer automatically
derestricted it

i am looking foward to
early next year when i
get my gts 250 but
i will nevor
get rid of my lx50

jc
et4 150cc
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:37 pm quote
59 cc machine
I know that you can get add on parts for your machine but. I have an old honda spree now thats slow but i knew i would be and just bought it for my camper , and give rides to my grandson. This became a problem I,m riding and the wife is in camp not good" so in looking for a second scooter I ran across an ET-4 150 now ya can't get me off of it, it will do 60 all day long keeping up with everyone in cars. Bottom line it was 1 year old and i only paid 2500 for her and only 3000 miles took it to the vespa dealer while still in the back of the the pickup buying a tall wind shield for her. He's said he would have bought it for that and kept the spree as well. good luck!
Ossessionato
Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:40 pm quote
Pokey wrote:

Step 1) Go on eBay UK or Europe.

Step 2) Buy a GTS250ie engine

Step 3) Install in LX body.

Should be plenty fast after that.
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:14 am quote
Pokey wrote:

I am dying to know.

Thanks.
By the way how many miles/kilometers do you have on your bike?

Mine is still limited to 45km/h but im going to de-limit it friday. I hope it gets a lile faster(60km/h is cool for me)

Andre
Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:50 pm quote
Ok. 2 questions here.
1. Andre, what do you mean that you are going to de-restrict your bike?

2. Has anybody on here actually put a Mallossi big bore piston kit on an LX50? If so, what were the results.

3. Jess, thanks for linking to my friendster profile so that vespa babes can easily add me to their bookmarks.

Very useful.
Petty Tyrant
GTS250 GTS300 MP3 500
Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:28 pm quote
Re: Ok. 2 questions here.
Pokey wrote:
Jess, thanks for linking to my friendster profile so that vespa babes can easily add me to their bookmarks.

Very useful.
Glad to be of service.
Ossessionato
Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:36 pm quote
Pokey wrote:
2. Has anybody on here actually put a Mallossi big bore piston kit on an LX50? If so, what were the results.
The one person who did ended up snapping a valve. Couldn't get a replacement so he got an LX150 valve and had a machinist turn it down to fit. It seems to have worked.
Sergeant at Arms
Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:37 pm quote
Pokey wrote:
yes. the results were less than the client had expected for the amount of money that he had spent. then he added the variator, clutch, cdi, upgear and some wacky pipe. he wound up dumping a monster amount of money into the bike and it still didn't move.

he wound up selling it for a monster loss and bought a aprillia scarabeo 150 and is pleased as punch, now.

YMMV

best,
-greasy
Molto Verboso
GTS 300
Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:06 am quote
First off all Pokey fill in your profile.

We still don't know if it's a 2- or 4-stroke.

If it is a 2-stroke you can get the a lot of Malossi stuff to fit.

If it's a 4-stroke than you got bad luck. No kits for that as far as I know.

Like the guys say, if you can upgrade to a LX 125/150 go for it!

There's no substitute for cubic inches.
Ossessionato
'15 Blue GTS300 Super, '18 White GTS300 Super
Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:04 am quote
I recommend a high cliff!

Last week my GT200 was in for a service, and the workshop lent me a 50cc scooter to do some errands while they were busy. Well, that was the most embarrasing experience of my life. I cannot recall the make, but this thing made a terrible noise like a souped-up sewing machine, and did 40kph. Flat out down a hill I managed to coax 50 out of it. Never again!

Mike
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 am quote
Quote:
1. Andre, what do you mean that you are going to de-restrict your bike?
I already did, it was limited to 45 km/h now it gets up to 70km/h, and I think it rides more
Quote:
First off all Pokey fill in your profile.

We still don't know if it's a 2- or 4-stroke.

If it is a 2-stroke you can get the a lot of Malossi stuff to fit.

If it's a 4-stroke than you got bad luck. No kits for that as far as I know.

Like the guys say, if you can upgrade to a LX 125/150 go for it!

There's no substitute for cubic inches.
Malossi stuff ? Where ? I have a two stroke

Cumps
André
Enthusiast
2005 ET4
Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:50 am quote
How do you "derestrict" an LX50?
Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:44 pm quote
Whoa.
Ok. In the US of A, the only way you can buy an LX50 is with a 4 stroke engine.

Is this different in Europe? Do they make a 2 stroke LX50 in Europe?

Yes, you can buy a Malossi big bore cylinder kit. Check it here:

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Malossi-70cc-kit-LX50/68/

From all accounts here so far, it seems that the Mallosi 49mm cylinder kit is not a good call.

Is there anybody out there who has installed this upgrade and thought it was worth while? Or could at least specifically comment on the difference in performance after installing the kit?
Sergeant at Arms
Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:51 pm quote
np36 wrote:
How do you "derestrict" an LX50?
Devvil is from portugal, so my assumption is that his LX50 is a two sroke.
The two stroke can be derestricted but to my knowledge, the four stroke cannon.

best,
-greasy
2019 Fall Gathering - September 12 - 15, Hungry Mother State Park, Marion, VA   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.2877s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0325s) ][ Debug on ]