More Speed!! I want my LX 50 to go faster. What do I do?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 pm quote
Pokey how much speed do you get with your bike ?
How many miles/ kilometers it has ?

If you didn´t do the first service yet, you can asked them to desrestrict your bike. T&hey will do it for free, I think it´s incluided in service

cumps

André

PS: I got addicted to speed. Where can I buy performance parts for my bike ?
Technical Moderator
Consume Less & Share More
Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:45 pm quote
There's no practical way of increasing the LX50's developed power. However, you can play games with how the LX50 accelerates. You say it's slow, and I believe you. You can increase it's acceleration, but at the expense of top speed. All you need to do is replace the variator rollers with lighter ones. At the extreme end of acceleration, while knocking-off considerable top speed, you can simply remove 3 of the existing rollers (keeping the remaining 3 rollers spaced equally apart). A new set of OEM rollers are about $14.
Download the LX50 Service Manual, and give it a go. Good luck.
Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:32 am quote
Thanks Gary
The link to the Vespa workshop manual was totally fresh. Thanks a lot.

That will be extremely useful if I decide to go for a cylinder upgrade. And for all kinds of other things that will probably come up.

When you say that there is no practical way of increasing output from the engine, does that include upgrading to 78cc?

I dont honestly see how almost doubling the size of the displacement cant make a noticeable difference here folks.

Im not trying to go 100 mph with this bike or anything, but right now, its a bit slow getting up to 30- 35 on a flat, and up a long hill, I can barely break 20 - 25.

I would be really happy if I had some punch getting to 30, and could do 40+ no problem. Thats all Im looking for here. Right now it will hit close to 50 on a long gentle down hill. Thats awesome, but I want to be able to do 40 on a flat, or even a bit of an incline. I dont think thats asking for a lot, I just want to know if an extra 30 cc will get me to this point.
Hooked
Vespa Lx50 2-Stroke
Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:38 am quote
Quote:
Im not trying to go 100 mph with this bike or anything, but right now, its a bit slow getting up to 30- 35 on a flat, and up a long hill, I can barely break 20 - 25.

I would be really happy if I had some punch getting to 30, and could do 40+ no problem. Thats all Im looking for here. Right now it will hit close to 50 on a long gentle down hill.
Mine goes up at 30mph, does 40 on flat, and downhill I dont let it go to fast. I don´t want to screw up the engine. But my bike is real cool now

Pokey you still didn´t say ifyour bike was a four-stroke or a two-stroke engine

cumps

André
Vespa GTS 250 i.e.
Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:11 am quote
Go Faster
I have always found that by going down a hill that I go faster. Something to do with gravity, I think.
Hooked
ET2, GTS 250ie
Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:30 pm quote
Re: Go Faster
ralfie wrote:
I have always found that by going down a hill that I go faster. Something to do with gravity, I think.
Now ther's an idea! If it is the 4 stroke then the easiest way to make it go faster is to drive it over the edge of a cliff

The 2 strokes you can do quite a bit with, but I don't think that there is much that can be done with the 50cc 4 stroke for extra speed.

The 2 stroke actually gets off the line OK (for what it is) and should do 40mph no problems unless it is restricted.
Hooked
'79 P200
Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:57 pm quote
Sell the 50cc and buy a 150. But then you'll eventually have the same problem that the 150 doesn't go very fast and you'll want to buy a 250.....so Sell the 50 and buy a 250. It's like the Visa commercial..."A Vespa GTS 250....$6800. Kicking everybodys butt in a drag race....Priceless!"
2008 s125
Sat May 19, 2007 11:35 pm quote
what do you do to derestrict a lx50? is it just a washer in the cvt, and rejetting the carbs, or is it more complicated than that?

just got a lx50 2t and found it only gets to 47km/h, and that's not good when everyone's going 55-60 ...
Hooked
GTS269ie, 100 Sport (x2), Vespa 100
Sun May 20, 2007 10:59 am quote
Yes, the LX50 is slow in acceleration but not once its rolling. But it has potential.

The Malossi kit is actually a 80cc kit (78.8cc). Still not much compared to the GTS250 but you have to look at what you started at: you're looking at a 60% increase in displacement. Try changing a GTS250 by 60%....a GTSS400?

After installing the 80cc kit the LX50 increase acceleration by 20% and got about another 7 km/h at the top end. However, the way the engine was buzzing at 80km/hr I would NOT keep it at that speed for long.

The LX50 I purchase was $3700 (Cdn) (the original owner won it in a contest). The kit and installation was $500. Total cost $4200 (Cdn) for a "LX80" and because its under 110cc its also cheap for insurance.

Depending on how much you paid for the LX50 consider the kit.

H
Molto Verboso
"Thread Killer Extraordinaire!"
Sun May 20, 2007 3:34 pm quote
Re: More Speed!! I want my LX 50 to go faster. What do I d
Pokey wrote:
I just got an LX50. Its a great looking bike, but slllllloooooowwwwwwwww.
Pokey, you are not allowed to make your scoot fast, since your name is "Pokey."
Hooked
Piaggio Fly 150 Yamaha Vino 125 Suzuki Boulevard S40
Mon May 21, 2007 4:35 am quote
HEY! I Happen to think my Fly 150 looks VERY GOOD, thank you.

Given the difference in price between the 50cc and a 125,150 or evn a 200cc, I'd sell the 50 and trade up before I spent a dime truing to make a 50cc run faster...
LX50 in Plum (Astrid)
Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 pm quote
Wow, most depressing thread ever...
2008 s125
Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 pm quote
Tenshinoshin wrote:
Wow, most depressing thread ever...

try these.

i've just got my lx50 back from derestriction, and having ridden home, it was a necessary mod. they removed a restrictor in the carb, rejetted it, and also removed a restrictor in the transmission. it's added almost 20km/h to the top speed, and now i can keep up with traffic. much nicer feeling.
Lurker
LX50
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 pm quote
I have a LX50 4 stroke Vespa. I went to my mechanic and talked me into doing a Maloossi big bore 70 cc cyllinder upgrade. I had him do it and I went to this site and I got worried with all the negative responses. I picked up my scooter and I was very impressed with the power!!! Granted it did not turn into a 150 cc but the response was great and it increased my speed an additional 10 miles an hour. Now there is no performance muffler for the LX50 but he can fabricate one for me and that is additional horse power and speed. That is my next to do. Thanks to Andy at Moto Scoot in Milwaukee,Wisconsin. 1-414-272-6680
Ossessionato
Kymco P250 Now, P200E in the 80's
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 pm quote
Francoantonino wrote:
I have a LX50 4 stroke Vespa. I went to my mechanic and talked me into doing a Maloossi big bore 70 cc cyllinder upgrade. I had him do it and I went to this site and I got worried with all the negative responses. I picked up my scooter and I was very impressed with the power!!! Granted it did not turn into a 150 cc but the response was great and it increased my speed an additional 10 miles an hour. Now there is no performance muffler for the LX50 but he can fabricate one for me and that is additional horse power and speed. That is my next to do. Thanks to Andy at Moto Scoot in Milwaukee,Wisconsin. 1-414-272-6680
Franco...

you may have better luck by starting a new thread for you question. The thread you pulled outta the archives is three years old and full of tuna trolling fools and other garbage.

As for your scoot, if you have 50cc and get over 40 MPH, your doing fine and it's time to upgrade to a 125 or more with your hard earned cash and not flush it for marginal improvements and a decrease in reliability. Just my two cents.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:50 pm quote
FRANCO a warm aloha and welcome to the forum. I'm no mechanic but from the few people who have done what you have it will create more wear on your engine etc. The cost to replace things will be more than if you upgraded. Do you have to do a 50cc? If so i would try a used Honda or Yamaha 2 stroke. The Vespa is a 4 stroke and really doesn't like to go faster. If you can find a vespa ET2 now that's a 2 stroke and you can mod that without major problems, but they are hard to find since they stopped making them years ago. Trust me it will cost you more in the end but it's your decision. Hope this helps. It's not exactly what you probably want to hear. If you need to stay with a 50cc ask and i'm sure some one will know where to find one. Good luck and have fun riding that scooter of yours
Lurker
LX50
Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:03 pm quote
Hey Judy,
My whole purpose is to keep up with traffic from a complete stop. Now with the upgrade the acceleration is much better and top speed is now 46 mph. Mechanic told me with this upgrade it does not run my engine any hotter or harder. Also. I don't have to have a motorcycle licence as if i would with a 120 or 150 .
Vespa's and BMW C1
Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:49 pm quote
GTSBERG wrote:
Sell the 50cc and buy a 150. But then you'll eventually have the same problem that the 150 doesn't go very fast and you'll want to buy a 250.....so Sell the 50 and buy a 250. It's like the Visa commercial..."A Vespa GTS 250....$6800. Kicking everybodys butt in a drag race....Priceless!"
Some of you really thinks it's that easy, because it is in the US.

In most European countries the law says different things. In the Netherlands, you can't drive a bike with more than 50cc without having a motorbike driving license.

50cc (moped) -> Age 16 -> you need to do a theoretical exam.

More than 50cc (motorbike):

Less than 42 HP bike -> Age 18 or older -> Need to pass a theoretical exam and we have to take driving lessons (about 30 hours). Do a bike control exam (30 minutes) and after we've passed, do a 50 minute exam on the public road. (it takes about 1,500 Euro / $ 2.000 to get your motorbike license)

Once you have your license for more than 3 years, you are allowed to drive 'heavy' and powerfull bikes with more than 42 HP.

So we can't drive a Vespa with just our regular driving license which we use to drive our cars.

Upgrading from a 50cc to a 150cc takes about 9 months af driving lessons and around $ 2.000 for these lessons and exams.
Vespa ET2
Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:59 pm quote
Re: More Speed!! I want my LX 50 to go faster. What do I d
Zwerski wrote:
Pokey wrote:
I just got an LX50. Its a great looking bike, but slllllloooooowwwwwwwww.
Pokey, you are not allowed to make your scoot fast, since your name is "Pokey."
i know a guy with a Rover and his personalised reg is SLOMO ... he tried to tune it up to make it go faster ... this is no joke!
Vespa ET2
Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 am quote
Martinvh wrote:
GTSBERG wrote:
Some of you really thinks it's that easy, because it is in the US.

In most European countries the law says different things. In the Netherlands, you can't drive a bike with more than 50cc without having a motorbike driving license.

50cc (moped) -> Age 16 -> you need to do a theoretical exam.

More than 50cc (motorbike):

Less than 42 HP bike -> Age 18 or older -> Need to pass a theoretical exam and we have to take driving lessons (about 30 hours). Do a bike control exam (30 minutes) and after we've passed, do a 50 minute exam on the public road. (it takes about 1,500 Euro / $ 2.000 to get your motorbike license)

Once you have your license for more than 3 years, you are allowed to drive 'heavy' and powerfull bikes with more than 42 HP.

So we can't drive a Vespa with just our regular driving license which we use to drive our cars.

Upgrading from a 50cc to a 150cc takes about 9 months af driving lessons and around $ 2.000 for these lessons and exams.
true story ... because i passed my car licence soOo long ago it means i can ride a 50cc without having to pay out any money for CBTs, lessons or tests ... this was 100% the deciding factor in which scoot to get.

in the UK this isn't too much of a problem though because all our 50's are 2-stroke meaning with a couple of spanners and a Haynes manual you can tune them up to do 45-50 mph without getting in trouble off the law.

$2000 is a lot of mullah though ... theres a guy near me who does fast track direct access for 399 plus test fees (about 80) ... one day i'll get around to it and then i can get a bigger scoot
Ossessionato
'09 S50, '79 V50
Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 am quote
The easiest thing you can do for top end is take the spacer out of the variator. 10 mph for free, 15 minutes work
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 am quote
FRANCO i figured it was about the registration and license it's the same here I do know people had some trouble which may have been due to bad mechanics and upkeep on their part. I would love to get my hands on a ET2 cool little scooter with some pep. I hear you on the keeping up with traffic. Have fun
Addicted
4 LD's in various states of repair, MP3 500, 1961 Lambro Fli 175, 1965 Topper, 07 GTS250, 81 P200, 79 P200
Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:17 am quote
Re: no
Pokey wrote:
I'm starting to think that maybe there arent too many serious mechanics on this forum.
A serious mechanic would tell you to get a bigger scooter. The amount of $ and time you spend on add-ons is not going to compare to a 150cc or larger engine in the end.

Check your local craigslists there may be something nice and used on there.

It's a good time to be a buyer right now. Some lucky schmuck near me in New York just picked up a used Vespa 300 for $4,500!
Lurker
2007 Red LX50 (now 70) 4 stroke.
Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:26 am quote
Malossi 70cc
Just upped my 4 stroke LX50 to the Malossi 70cc kit. Huge difference, faster in every situation. Couldn't be happier with the results. The staff and mechanics at Urban Wasp here in Vancouver were awesome as usual.

For those that have posted that adding "performance" parts will shorten the life of the stock moving parts: I know the LX150 uses the same body as the LX50 - but is there a huge difference in the moving parts, beyond the cylinder size? Forgive me if this has been posted already.....
LX150
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 am quote
So, has anybody here either done or heard of supercharging one of these little engines?
A while back while at my local home center (Lowes) i saw a stack of cordless leaf blowers that claimed 500cfm. Well, being a numbers guy, i calculated how many of these it would take to supercharge my son's '99 Mustang GT; it would take 6 to produce 14psi boost at full power/rpm.

So the thought came naturally to me that one of these leaf blowers would fit in the pet carrier of an LX150/50.

My question is "has anybody supercharged their Vespa with a cordless leaf blower yet?"

If not, I think I'll be trolling craigslist for a project scooter - since it will be supercharged, maybe a 50 with the "big bore" kit could be had cheaper than a 150 - the owners are rather "proud" of them.

Randy
Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2010 Can Am Spyder RT-S, 2012 Honda NC700 DCT
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:06 pm quote
kek wrote:
So, has anybody here either done or heard of supercharging one of these little engines?
A while back while at my local home center (Lowes) i saw a stack of cordless leaf blowers that claimed 500cfm. Well, being a numbers guy, i calculated how many of these it would take to supercharge my son's '99 Mustang GT; it would take 6 to produce 14psi boost at full power/rpm.

So the thought came naturally to me that one of these leaf blowers would fit in the pet carrier of an LX150/50.

My question is "has anybody supercharged their Vespa with a cordless leaf blower yet?"

If not, I think I'll be trolling craigslist for a project scooter - since it will be supercharged, maybe a 50 with the "big bore" kit could be had cheaper than a 150 - the owners are rather "proud" of them.

Randy
I am quite skeptical that a cordless leaf blower can achieve a net 14 psi of boost, even at dead-head conditions.
LX150
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:18 am quote
it's not the boost pressure only, it's also the volume (CFM). That's why it takes 6 to get sufficient volume to the Mustang's 4.6L engine.

For the Vespa, even 1 is overkill - but would be killer!!
Enthusiast
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:12 pm quote
Peugeot made a supercharged 125, the Jetforce Compressor, maybe the mechanicals might be made to fit?

Maybe Colin Furze could fix you a blower on a Vespa 50cc, he's done some fairly mad vehicles......

LX150
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm quote
yeah, I saw that a few years ago. Very cool.

But since a leaf blower only costs around $50-100, I think it may be a better solution. In fact, most of them are already 12V, so no adapters for the battery.
Hooked
BV 350
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 am quote
Not
A leafblower is rated with zero output restriction. Couple it to something with restriction (like an engine) and the CFM drops drastically. To actually boost an engine you need pressure. I doubt a leafblower will provide that. To provide volume (cfm) at pressure (psi) actually takes a fair amount of energy. While an electric supercharger could be designed, I doubt your charging system could keep up with the power drain.

A 'boosted' engine will obviously need a fuel system recalibration to handle the extra air, and almost certainly a much higher capacity cooling system. If you really lean on it, expect to replace the valves and perhaps other valvetrain parts, as the valves need to be opened against higher pressures and operate at higher temps.

Might be interesting to look into a 'hybrid' add-on with a rechargeable battery and electric motor. Electric motors provide high torque at low speed, enhancing acceleration significantly. Set it up with a WOT switch, so it only operates when you need it, lengthening battery life. Use a hub-center motor (front wheel, presumably) to minimize drivetrain loss and complexity. Might even be able to use regen braking to 'recycle' power. Still within the letter of the licensing laws, if not the spirit.

You could spend countless hours and considerable funds getting these things to work.

Or, as others have suggested, a scooter with a bigger engine.
Enthusiast
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:58 am quote
Nitrous oxide.....

Missouri Loves Company Rally   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous12
[ Time: 0.2790s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0404s) ][ Debug on ]