parking on the street... f that.
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
Banned
63' VBB 177, 62' Lambretta LI 185
Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:05 am quote
This is why I never park on the damn street if I there are no motorcycle parking spots within a couple blocks. Damn freakin cagers... I am sick of coming out to find my bike knocked over and no note... Give me the ticket for parking on the sidewalk once or twice a year, it is certainly less than having to continue to pay for body repairs caused by self centered criminally indifferent neanderthal drivers.

Sorry, had to vent a bit...

parking.jpg

nothing at all
Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 am quote
here in los angeles the parking is a mixed bag o nuts.....in the private citys like santa monica, culver city, beverly hills, burbank, you can not park on the sidewalk without expecting a ticket......you can either pay for full spot and park smack dab in the middle of it or you are allowed to park for no pay no ticket in the danger zone(on the white hash mark that seperates the spots.......in other less 'serious' parts i like to find a spot on the sidewalk.....but you always run the risk of a ticket

my usual choice is to pay for a full spot and take the whole thing, right in the middle of it and "own it"........just like when i ride in a lane....own it and let my intensions be known
Hooked
vespa px210e
Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:27 am quote
stanley knife + tyre = result fuckers wont do it again
Addicted
1958 Lambretta LI 190, 1968 Vespa Rally 180, 2005 Sym HD200
Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 am quote
gadge wrote:
they'll just run down the next scooterist they see!
Addicted
1958 Lambretta LI 190, 1968 Vespa Rally 180, 2005 Sym HD200
Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:31 am quote
Re: parking on the street... f that.
carmonaville wrote:
This is why I never park on the damn street if I there are no motorcycle parking spots within a couple blocks. Damn freakin cagers... I am sick of coming out to find my bike knocked over and no note... Give me the ticket for parking on the sidewalk once or twice a year, it is certainly less than having to continue to pay for body repairs caused by self centered criminally indifferent neanderthal drivers.

Sorry, had to vent a bit...
i try to avoid riding shiny bikes in the city
2006 PX 150 & Malossi Kitted Malaguti Yesterday (Wife's)
Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:39 am quote
I find it hard to take that photo as anything other than staged, especially since it is from here (Greece), and what is depicted is just not consistent with things here.

Al
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:57 am quote
white lightening
gadge wrote:
id just hang about and leather the first fucker back with me helmet
Banned
Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:03 am quote
Yeah , one of the times I had paid for a full spot and owned it, I came out to find someone had moved my scooter to make room for their car and knocked one of my cowls out of alignment. I won't get into what happened after that, I plead the fifth.
Molto Verboso
have had my share of faggy mopeds in my time
Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:27 am quote
How does one get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk if you're removing your tag after you park?
Banned
Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:46 am quote
I did see someone riding the other day that had their plate attached onto the Chrome bag slung over their back. I chuckled a bit and thought what the hell, why not.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 pm quote
turned heads
i once had me scoot moved forward onto double yellow lines by some dick that thought it would be easier than reversing their 4x4 ..... i got a ticket and couldnt argue it as there were no witnesses
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm quote
Typewritist wrote:
How does one get a ticket for parking on the sidewalk if you're removing your tag after you park?
well, around here it's because most likely you'll get your ride impounded for not having tags on it-- yes, even parked.

best,
-greasy
Molto Verboso
have had my share of faggy mopeds in my time
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:36 pm quote
greasy125 wrote:
Typewritist wrote:
well, around here it's because most likely you'll get your ride impounded for not having tags on it-- yes, even parked.

best,
-greasy
Ah I see. Here in DC most everyone runs with velcro tags and parks on the sidewalk.

By "most everyone" I mean all my vintage buddies. Never had a problem with tickets or impounding - cops here look at scooters as mopeds as long as you aren't blocking a doorway or something.
Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 pm quote
yeah, generally we get the blind eye but in smaller incorporated cities (read high end) they tend to put the kibosh on that mess.

also, becasue the state/city/county is broke ass the generally-less-than-motivated meter-maids have become quite intrepid.

i almost had one grabbed once and after that i decided that it's best to just run the tags and take my lumps.

best,
-greasy
Super Veloce
Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:54 am quote
Expect a ticket. It's about revenue, it's not about parking.
Hooked
74 Rally 200
Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:01 am quote
The simple answer is that you can't have anything nice in The City. (San Francisco, that is)

They will knock your bike down. Move it. Ram it. Ding your fender getting in and out of parking spots. Not to mention that SF has a lot of moisture in the air which means your scoot is always dirty and grungy from the constant mix of dew and dirt.

The same goes for cars. They ram your bumper trying to get into the parking spot. They'll ding your doors in parking lots. The bums will break your window for a $50 stereo. If you're "lucky" enough to live in the Avenues then whatever you own is going to rust to pieces in the salt air.

Park that nice scooter of yours inside and get a beater.
Banned
Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 am quote
Sure SF is like most "larger" cities. Guess that is the trade off for not livin' in the sticks. Luckily I have a garage & work from home, so my scoot is not parked on the street 24-7. I figure what the fuck, I can park 'er right on the sidewalk when I am out joy riding or running errands and risk getting the ticket versus taking the hit on the body shop bill.

That being said, I think am going to start working on a beater project soon I though. Anyone have a cheap chassis/dead engine they wanna get rid of for cheap in SF? I am shooting to compose the three hundred dollar krylon special.
Molto Verboso
Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 am quote
I park all the time on the sidewalks in sf... Never any issues... I just make sure that I park In a double wide sidewalk... One where my bike is parked between two meters... As far as living in the aves...it's great out here because there is rarely any dpt... So I just pop up on curbs Chain it to a street cleaning sign and throw my cover on.... Shit I even use my sidewalk as my garage... No one ever fucks with me which is great.. The times the cops did come over.. It was to ask me what kind of bike it was and how much they are worth...
Ossessionato
Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:00 pm quote
boney wrote:
If you're "lucky" enough to live in the Avenues then whatever you own is going to rust to pieces in the salt air.
What are the Avenues?
Molto Verboso
Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:55 pm quote
Desmolicious wrote:
boney wrote:
If you're "lucky" enough to live in the Avenues then whatever you own is going to rust to pieces in the salt air.
What are the Avenues?
aves=1st-48th
Ossessionato
a not so normal vbb2 '64
Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 pm quote
all the same..
no where is safe in big city believe me, i have a privelege for riding a vintage bike (vintage=cheapo) in my city, which is park free..

so i can park where ever i want to as long its not in the middle of the road or in fast line nor in someone doorway and no cops will gave me ticket for that, due to the fact the bike is too old to go to court

but, despite having that privelege some low punk are getting jealousy and sometime they damage the bike when they have the change, happen to my vbb once when some moron kick my vbb down in a park lot

thats why even with privelege i am still try to park my vespa near the security so they have no reason to neglected my vespa as it will be right in front of their eyes

but still, the only perfect safe place are in my own house

park safe and cheer everyone
Addicted
Honda SH 300
Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:42 pm quote
I have to pay 88 a year to park on the residents parking bay outside my home, so I make sure I park between my campervan and my other half's Renault modus, so no one can ding or knock my fuoco over. If I take the scooter out, the space is too small for a car [even a smart car] and if someone parks a scooter/bike when I'm gone I can just move the car or van along to make space for my scooter,,,,,,selfish???????????fucking right
Ossessionato
Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:10 pm quote
T-Bone wrote:
Desmolicious wrote:
boney wrote:
What are the Avenues?
aves=1st-48th
That was what I thought. I can see salt air being an issue on 48-46 Aves, but down in the teens, or like at 7th and Fulton?
Does salt air travel that far in?
I live at Venice Beach in SoCal, I'm a 10 minute walk from the beach and I'm not affected by salt air.
Hooked
74 Rally 200
Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:46 am quote
carmonaville wrote:
Sure SF is like most "larger" cities. Guess that is the trade off for not livin' in the sticks. Luckily I have a garage & work from home, so my scoot is not parked on the street 24-7. I figure what the fuck, I can park 'er right on the sidewalk when I am out joy riding or running errands and risk getting the ticket versus taking the hit on the body shop bill.

That being said, I think am going to start working on a beater project soon I though. Anyone have a cheap chassis/dead engine they wanna get rid of for cheap in SF? I am shooting to compose the three hundred dollar krylon special.
There's a guy in Willits that has a bunch of beaters on Craigslist all the time. None of them would be a good restoration project, but most of 'em would be good thrashers. His prices are a little high though, and it doesn't look like he'll move on 'em.
Banned
Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:27 pm quote
Looks like he will never move them either, LOL.
Hooked
'84 PX150e
Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:40 am quote
In the past twelve months my PX150 has been knocked over by parking cars over ten times even though I always make a point of parking it at the end of the block in the same direction cars are facing.

Drivers here in NYC value spaces so much they have no qualms about knocking your scooter over to get another inch or two. The scratches on my cowls show that the bike has not just been knocked over but pushed along the ground on more than one occasion.

I painted the bike this time last year and it's ready for another coat.

Good luck out there.
Ossessionato
T5 Pole Position, T for thoroughbred
Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:50 am quote
As far as i know its legal to park on the footpath in Dublin so i normally do. But i lock it to a lamp post or something. The bike thieves around here would have your bike or scoot in the back of a van dead quick
nothing at all
Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:51 am quote
fresh pic of parking in nyc.....not one bike has a tag

IMG00575-20101124-0818.jpg

Hooked
'08 Voodoo Buddy 250cc, '74 Super 150, '74 Super /w 200cc Rally 180 engine
Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:24 pm quote
Parking on the sidewalk isn't a picnic either. I park in a covered courtyard at my office(and have for years). Went out and lunch today to discover that somehow someone managed to tear my left side cowl about 3 inches away from the bike and scrape up the back of the cowl.

Stella
Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:43 am quote
Here is Greensboro NC, you can park an unregistered vehicle on the sidewalk.
I keep my tags in the glovebox, never mount them.
I had a cop ask me once how fast my scooter could go,
I told him just fast enough, then asked him how fast he thought it would go.
He told me no more than 30 mph, I said yep.
If it will do over 30, you have to get tags for it.
Banned
Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:54 pm quote
I do park on the street sometimes...

new&old.jpg

2003 gt 200 , 2007 px150 , 1993 Ducati M900
Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:24 pm quote
In Belgium it is not allowed to park on the sidewalk , except for a - 50 cc .
But I always park my Vespa on the sidewalk , even my Ducati . Once I had a problem with a cop in civilian clothes , he asked me politely to move my scooter ( 200 gt ) , which I refused .

After 10 minutes he said he's a police-officer , and if he had to prove that to me , I was going to have a fine . Still didn't move , he showed me his ID and asked for my papers .

I didn't show any papers , just took my bike and walked away . After a few days I got the fine in the letterbox , didn't pay and after a year I had to go to court . The judge was a reasonable man , I just got a conditional fine because the cop did not show his ID at first and was playing cat and mouse with me .
Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> Not-So-Modern
[ Time: 0.2482s ][ Queries: 35 (0.0949s) ][ Debug on ]