ET4 front racks (need installation help)
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:13 am quote
I'm looking at two front racks for my ET4. Both are about the same price, so that's not an issue. I'm looking for any opinions that would sway me one way or the other. Anything worth mentioning.

The Faco small front rack with the chrome horn cover, which is part of the rack and is needed for the installation.

The Cuppini large front rack that looks like it installs by hooking over the legshield. Suction cups at the bottom. I get to keep my existing horn cover.

My purpose is not to be able to carry more than I do now, but to change the weight distribution of my gear when touring. Right now, most of it is in the rear. Also, it would help me relocate a few items, (sleeping bag, small tent) that I've been strapping to the seat, which means I have to unstrap them every time I gas up.

Thanks.

Last edited by Menhir on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scooter Pimp
--------'89 Vespa PX125------- -----'76 Vespa Primavera----- -------'99 Vespa ET4 125------
Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:39 am quote

I was looking at front racks too.... these are photos of the two you're talking about (or very similar if not the exact ones)

The Faco one although its probably the better looking of the two, though it appears to be very small - not too sure how much you would be able to carry on that one??

The Cuppini is more traditionally mounted and looks to be the larger and perhaps the most load bearing - I wonder if the Faco one will snap away with it being fitted to the horn cover which I'm guessing is "chrome" sprayed onto plastic??

Which one are you going to buy?

faco et4.jpg
Faco attached via revised horn cover

cuppini.jpg
Cuppini (its on a LX but i'm guessing its very similar for the ET)

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:48 am quote
Fabio Dougie wrote:
.Which one are you going to buy?.
I don't know yet.

The Faco rack you pictured is indeed one of the items I'm trying to compare. The Cuppini rack is pictured below.
I hoping that some members who have some experience with one or both of them will chime in, then we both can decided what to do.

And I thought choosing between a Kindle and a Nook was hard. This is more far more important...it's for my scooter.

BTW: I settled on a Kindle.

rack.JPG

Scooter Pimp
--------'89 Vespa PX125------- -----'76 Vespa Primavera----- -------'99 Vespa ET4 125------
Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:28 am quote

Did you go with the Kindle?? (oops sorry just seen that you did!)

That would be my choice hands down!

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:49 am quote
Fabio Dougie wrote:

Did you go with the Kindle?? (oops sorry just seen that you did!)

That would be my choice hands down!

Yes. I didn't purchase it yet. I'm waiting until after Christmas for no particular reason. It was close, and I spent a lot of time deciding.
It was just that the some of the selling features that distinguished the Nook were features that didn't interest me.
E-Pub didn't interest me. Those files can be converted for the Kindle.
Sharing? I don't have any friends. . The Kindle now shares books, too.
You can get free reading (one hour) with the Nook when you visit the B&N Bookstores, but the whole point of getting an e-book reader was that I didn't want to have drive to the bookstores and sit there and read!

I don't like all the little keys on the Kindle, but I also don't like second small color screen on the Nook, so that's a wash.
I wish the Kindle had a user-replaceable battery, though.

But the clincher was that I found a lot of books I like on Amazon at better prices, and I found that Amazon was easier to browse. (I already have Kindle for PC.)

I should mention that my wife has a Masters in Library Science and has worked at public libraries and college libraries over the years. She used to own a brick-and-mortar bookstore, but now sells online. We have hundreds of books in the house...we had thousands when she owned the store.
I don't need no stinkin' libraries...I just walk upstairs and browse through the shelves.
My winter project this year is converting half the third floor into her own personal library. She's up there now, I can hear here thumping around. She doesn't like E-Books. She likes books she can throw.

She thinks I'm a traitor.

But I digress.

God bless her: She has a hobby she can pursue all year round. I spend the winters waiting to tour on my scooter during the next summer.

All I have to do now is decide which rack to buy. So let's hear about those racks!
Addicted
ET4-150 GTS250ie PX200 with Cozy Sidecar
Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 pm quote
I have been looking for a front rack for my ET4 also.
I installed stainless steel crash bars on my ET4 two years ago and like the no rust benefit of the stainless steel.
I got the SS crash bars at Scooter Works. At the time I thought Scooter Works offered a stainless steel front rack too.
I looked a while back and couldn't find them listed any longer at Scooter Works.

If you find the stainless steel front rack in your searching... please let me know.
Foiled
2001 ET4
Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 am quote
Thanks for posting pictures of the racks. It really does help to see them.
Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:25 pm quote
I decided to get the small Faco rack. I lived without one for years now, so I figured I didn't need to get an especially large one.

The rack arrived just before Christmas but I waited until the weather warmed up and the snow melted before I went out to install it. I do my work outdoors.

No instructions were included and two hex nuts were missing. I hate when that happens, but a short trip to Home Depot took care of it.

Now here is the problem...I doesn't seem to fit.

1)When I mount the bracket where (I think) it's supposed to mount, the only place I can see where it could mount...it's far off center. I had to loosen up and move aside the electric connector above it just to get it in place.
2)I can't tighten down the bracket without it pressing hard against the horn diaphragm.
3)The chrome horn cover (a necessary part of the kit) won't fit in place due to the alignment.

I've seen pictures of these rack on ET4's here on MV and elsewhere, and I haven't heard of any installation problems. Am I missing something besides the instructions and a couple of hex nuts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Capture1.JPG
The off center mounting bracket

Capture2.JPG
bracket from the side, not tightened down and already obstructed by the horn

Capture3.JPG
The best alignment of the horn cover I can get.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:15 pm quote
Frack it!

I'm returning it.
Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:02 am quote
I bought the small rack and didn't like the size or design, so I sold it and purchased the large rack. The large one works nicely on the ET4, BUT it occludes the headlamp beam (to illuminate the ground in front of you) if you carry something large like a sleeping bag.
Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:37 am quote
Did you have any problems installing it?

I'm trying to get an idea of what is wrong...a bad bracket? The wrong bracket? A missing part? I dunno.
I'd really prefer to get the thing installed rather than send it back, but I'm sort of lost for ideas right now.
Molto Verboso
Vespa ET4

Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:47 am quote
For BOTH racks, we had to do some bending of the horn bracket. The ET4 doesn't have much room on the front. DO NOT put too much pressure on the horn. We learned the hard way and had to remove almost everything to loosen the pressure over the horn.
Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 am quote
Thanks. At least I know that the bracket, even if it doesn't fit as it was delivered, may still the correct one.
I think I've come up with a solution for the horn, then.
Now if I can just solve the alignment problem...

It sucks when you don't have a garage.
Lurker
et4 150
Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:47 am quote
I've an ET4 with Vespa front rack (large). It's been great, but the rubber suction cups that hold the rack to the front fender are starting to deteriorate. I've been unable to locate replacement parts. I've tried multiple dealers, and web sites - all with no luck. Any suggestions where I might find the suction cups would be appreciated. Thanks
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:51 pm quote
Aloha and welcome to the forum DIVERSEN. Why don't you give Max a call at MotorSport they usually have everything you need or can get it for you. Their in CA here's the # 619-280-1718. Good luck
Hooked
Vespa ET4 150, Ebony.
Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:12 pm quote
I found a rack like this one for my ET4 but it looks like it has to be mounted by drilling holes in the top of my scoot on either side of the horn cover.
I really don't want to drill any holes so I haven't bought it yet.
It also has a bracket that must mount through the horn cover slots and it has rubber feet that will prob rub the paint off the scoot over time.
I want a rack to carry stuff but more so to mount some lights on the front of my Scoot to flash at cagers that try to run me down with an illegal left turn through an intersection.
Any other Ideas peeps?
Mega.

rack_691.jpg

2014 Fall MP3 Gathering - Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp   Maroon Powersports LLC DBA Scooter Centrale   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2851s ][ Queries: 32 (0.1705s) ][ Debug on ]