Vespa: Masculine, Feminine or Other
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next

Which one of these statements do you agree with the most?
Beetles and Miatas are strictly for chicks and/or gay men but Vespas aren't.
9%
 9%  [ 9 ]
Vespas, Beetles and Miatas are for chicks and gays. Harleys, Trucks, 'Stangs and the like are a straight man's choice.
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Neither. I don't see a gender distinction in vehicles.
82%
 82%  [ 82 ]
Total Votes : 99

Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:29 pm quote
Some background: I am a retired boat captain. I have been described by my neighbor's grandkid as: an old white guy. I've been married for 48 years, still look at pretty girls, and classify myself as heterosexual. I've had a Miata and a diesel pickup... for different uses. I've had a bunch of Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, other motorcycles, and now on my second Vespa.

Vespas have curves and style. I like curves and style. I don't name my cars, trucks, or bikes. Every boat I've owned or driven has had a name and they are all called "she." While I think this poll is basically silly, I looked my Vespa over closely... I could find no genitalia.

As far as the sexuality/gender of any rider (or anyone in general): it doesn't matter. Unless you are about to have sex with someone, their sexuality or gender is none of your business. If you judge someone by their sexuality or gender, you are a sexist and/or a bigot.

To the title of this thread: masculine, feminine, or other... it's a machine. Granted, a beautifully designed machine. My wife looks better riding it than I do, but that is because she is better looking than I am. She also looks good riding her angular designed Xmax.

I have been riding for 53 years. All kinds of two-wheel conveyances. Not once has my sexual preference played a part in my buying decision. I don't give a furry rat's rear what someone else thinks of my choice. Why should it matter?

To paraphrase a former President: I did not have sexual relations with that scooter.

Are we running out of things to talk about?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:07 pm quote
Look how far we've come in 14 years.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:06 pm quote
Smorris wrote:
I never choose *anything* based on what I think others will think, nor do I try to impress anyone with my purchases. I could give a flying flip what anyone's opinion is. I get stuff I like.
Well spoken sir!

I think that men who are insecure about their own sexual identity are the worst culprits in the 'shaming' scenario. They probably can't afford the machines they aspire to and so they poo-poo the options they can afford. ALL the men (even the one gay guy) in my Vespa group also ride main stream motorcycles of the ilk that the 'small dicks' need to call themselves men.

I know a number of ladies who ride Ducatis, Triumphs, Harleys and BMWs. Most are married / divorced heterosexuals who love the machines and they are all sexy because of their self-confidence to do so. I do know that two of the couples are lesbian. They are great riding and social companions and I don't care what they do behind closed doors.

As for Miatas being 'gay' cars, I have a hairdresser friend who drove one - and a Ducati Desmo 350. He was strictly straight and had a string of women (single and married) who would eagerly be behind him on the Ducati or beside him in the Miata... and in his bed.
Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold)
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:45 pm quote
How about Subaru's. Driven by women, who prefer women.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 Super
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:32 pm quote
People like to put other people in little niches, cubby holes or categories. I never fell into any one of them comfortably. Some of my friends call me metrosexual because I'm style conscious (okay, style picky), work in the interior design field (my favorite part though is working with tools and doing the labor) and now I have a Vespa. No one doubts that I like women more than men though. But I'm also an avid Jeeper, won a dance contest once, know my way around a chainsaw and worked with models as both a photographer and as a manager/bodyguard but not at the same time. Worked for construction companies and a national adult entertainment promotions company. My girlfriends have come from many walks of life including brokers, waitresses, nurses, cops and topless dancers and although I still count most of them as friends, our romances never lasted more than a few years.

I never knew anyone, until June of this year, that rode a scooter - male or female. Since buying Red (my Vespa), I have only seen one other scooter in my town. Lots of motorcycles here though and a few women riders but most people seem to like 4WD vehicles and many of them are lifted and actually are driven on 4WD roads and trails. Most of the people who seem interested in my Vespa are women but my lawyer, a male, looks to be the only one seriously considering getting one.
Style Maven
74 50s x3 78 P200 84 Cosa PK50XL2 58 AllState 68 Sprint 80 50special '66(?) Super125
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:04 am quote
Rats, I knew I should have read the first part before I responded.
I was just gonna say, never thought about it but can look underneath mine and report back.
Ossessionato
In garage: Yamaha Tricity 155 Urban 2019 - MV Agusta 125 RS 1956
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:35 am quote
The captain made wise and balanced statements, as I would have expected from an old (in a good way) sea dog ...
We have had similar experiences, I also had a spider (better than the Miata in my opinion, Fiat Barchetta) and I had many motorcycles before switching to scooters, more for greater comfort than for being forced to by the invalidity.
And no .... I have never been married but I have had heterosexual relationships with many women in the long or short term, no law (not even biblical) prevents it, the important thing is to love each other as well as having sex. What the heck, I'm an Italian I don't have to point it out ... modestly.
I did not click on the poll because I think it was proposed with sexist terms but the intent remains valid in principle.
znomit wrote:
Look how far we've come in 14 years.
I admit, society has changed radically; in june (if the covid ends) i was invited to the wedding of two lesbian friends ...
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:18 am quote
waspmike wrote:
Last time I looked, I had male genitalia.
I proudly drive a Subaru Forester XS Auto.
I prefer women too.
Primavera 150
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:47 am quote
As a man who rides a Vespa, I like to see other men ride Vespas. I also like to see women ride Vespas. Really, I guess I like to see anybody ride Vespas! I must be biscootsual.
Molto Verboso
2013 GTS300ie
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:04 am quote
It's not a Vespa, but I find this lady to be SUPER sexy,
because she is capable, confident and because she rides.

If I were single and a decade younger, I could lose my heart to a woman like this...

youtube.com/watch?v=ENGpvFk2myU

Veni, Vidi, Posti
Kitted Vespa 2017 GTV 300, BMW 2019 K1600GT Sport, Ural 2019 Gear Up
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am quote
Meh :-\

Ride what you want, whatever floats your boat. Yes, you can also take that metaphorically.

I'll admit I have a certain bias towards the scooters and bikes I like but that's just my personal preference.

Some people need to wake up to certain facts and realize people can be good or bad no matter what they ride or their sexuality. People are just people and bikes, scoots and cars are just vehicles. I may not like little Tupperware scooters or e-bikes but then again I don't have to ride them. If someone wants to and they're happy good for them . Just don't be in the damn bicycle lane and cut me off when I'm on my Vespa or motorcycle!
Molto Verboso
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2007 Burgman 400
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:04 pm quote
Gender Identity with Scoots/Motorcycles/Cars
Product Brands spend volumes of money to identify products along sexual lines. Movies are loaded with idealized sexual identity. If James Dean drove it, I want that car.

At age 72, I grew up with muscle cars, roaring exhaust pipes and smoking tires. I liked every Beach Boy car song - Little Deuce Coupe, 409, GTO.
Despite this psychological barrage, I liked the music, not the cars.

In school, I liked small English sport cars, MG, Triump, Austin Healey. There handling and look were magic to me. For me, this is what a cool sophisticated guy drove. Later, after four years in Europe, I further fell in love with small cars. I came back to the States with a MG Midget.

Same same with two wheels. I started with a Honda 125 and liked all motorcycles under 500ccs. To me, they were not to heavy and had super handling characteristics.

So, I was the classic male pig who actually enjoyed scooters and small cars.
To this day, I drive the VW Beetle and the Honda FIT.

Car identity is stronger than ever. Like Subaru. They will not even
let me of the dealership car lot with a Trump sticker on my car.

Best to all,

Bob Copeland

New Hat.jpg

Ossessionato
1964 GS 160 MK II, 1967 Vespa GT, 1968 SS180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1964 Vespa VBB, 2006 Buddy 125, 2013 BMW C650GT
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:21 pm quote
I'm a hardcore scooterist so I don't care enough to even vote.

I've cannonballed vintage twice, I smoke almost anything with the Dragster. I'll ride anything.

I don't have anything to prove to anyone and truly don't care at all what anyone thinks of me.

I am the crazy uncle
2017 Vespa GTS 300ie
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:43 pm quote
All my friends make feminine or gay jokes about my Vespa. My personal belief is that it has to do with itís European roots and styling. American men are supposed to want a Harley or a more ďmasculineĒ ride. Iím 51, so none of that matters to me. My GTS is beautiful. I get to have fun riding a piece of artwork down the road. Throw any label you want at me. Iím just having fun...
Molto Verboso
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:23 am quote
Classic Vespa Attraction
Interesting,

No one ever came up to me to look over any of the Honda/Ducati motorcycles
that I rode.

My Dragon Red GRTS300 gets regular walk up comments when I park at the local shopping center. Most of the commenters are male and indicate they are current or prior Big Bike Harley riders. I know this anecdotal evidence, but
I find the muscle macho guys really liking the Vespa.

So, all of you are really cool cats when you ride a Vespa. Viva Italia!

Bob Copeland
Frost Bite Falls Minnesota
Current Heat Wave today in Minnesota 48 Degrees F
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 am quote
BmetJake wrote:
All my friends make feminine or gay jokes about my Vespa. My personal belief is that it has to do with itís European roots and styling. American men are supposed to want a Harley or a more ďmasculineĒ ride. Iím 51, so none of that matters to me. My GTS is beautiful. I get to have fun riding a piece of artwork down the road. Throw any label you want at me. Iím just having fun...
Is ok some of my friends call it my "moped". It's just sort of a running gag as my other bikes are about as macho as you get. I just laugh and say I love my Italian "moped"
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:51 am quote
Re: Gender Identity with Scoots/Motorcycles/Cars
Bob Copeland wrote:
Best to all,

Bob Copeland
Bob ... you have to try a modern Fiat 500 Abarth 160 hp, it's like being inside a firecracker on July 4th.

PS: what car did you have in Italy?
Molto Verboso
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:08 am quote
My 1972 Fiat 500 Blue
Attila,

I had a 1972 Fiat 500. Most fun car I have ever drove. Under powered,
transmission did not have synchromesh, but a riot to drive. I drove that
Fiat from Greece in the East, England in the North and Marrakesh Morocco in the South. Traveling, we would tie a tent to it at night to sleep. I just needed enough wine or beer to sleep on the hard ground in the tent.

The new Fiat 500 definitely must have a larger engine. My son actually has one now.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota

359px-1971_Fiat_500L_Front.jpg
My Fiat had AFI, Allied Forces Italy license plates. I think I paid $800 USA for it.

Ossessionato
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:00 am quote
Re: My 1972 Fiat 500 Blue
Bob Copeland wrote:
Attila,

Fiat from Greece in the East, England in the North and Marrakesh Morocco in the South. Traveling, we would tie a tent to it at night to sleep. I just needed enough wine or beer to sleep on the hard ground in the tent.

The new Fiat 500 definitely must have a larger engine. My son actually has one now.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
-https://youtu.be/zYbnhTOrP-w-

Ossessionato
Triumph Street Scrambler 2018, Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:21 pm quote
nice resurrection

I do think Vespa is quite unique in this sence.
Well, mayby the VW Beatle comes close.

I mean, masculine side of things, be it a male or female, loud exhaust, tuning etc. can fluently be attached to Vespa talk.

On the other side, Vespa is... well, cute, non-technical and approachable. Around here, most of the 50cc scooter owners are female - not that many larger scoots around, mayby simply because small wheels, fast speed and our roughish roads are far from a perfect combo. I know, I tried
Addicted
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:45 pm quote
BmetJake wrote:
Yeh no need to worry about it. It is unique to North America.
2019 MP3 500 Sport
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:30 pm quote
if you express your sexual orientation and preference with a vehicle choice, there's some disconnection there, in my opinion. to me a vehicle choice is about everyday practicality first for my primary choice (which are my effing boring car and my fun super practical MP3 500) and secondary fun (my sportsbike, my fake Toyota engined Porsche 356, and yeah, my MP3 500 too, because it is fun).
Ossessionato
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:43 pm quote
PabloLie wrote:
if you express your sexual orientation and preference with a vehicle choice, there's some disconnection there, in my opinion. to me a vehicle choice is about everyday practicality first for my primary choice (which are my effing boring car and my fun super practical MP3 500) and secondary fun (my sportsbike, my fake Toyota engined Porsche 356, and yeah, my MP3 500 too, because it is fun).
Do you really have a 356 with a Toyota engine? Because?
Is it a transgender car?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:47 pm quote
Attila wrote:
PabloLie wrote:
Do you really have a 356 with a Toyota engine? Because?
Is it a transgender car?
Yeah, I was wondering something similar. The 356 is one hell of a car though the Toyota engine is a head scratcher. But hey, even if the body is original it's a beauty.
LX50, LX150
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:58 pm quote
They can be masculine or feminine based on the rider. I'm an old school gear head, took motorcycle mechanics in high school, my father was an ASI GM mechanic his whole career and I grew up in his shop. A Vespa can be masculine or feminine depending on the rider and the machine. Until recently I rode large displacement Motorcycles. My last bike was a Roadstar Warrior XV1700. A 102 cubic inch V-twin heavily modified bike that produced 110 HP at the rear wheel on the dyno. It had about an 8 foot wheelbase and would take you to twelve O'clock if you did not lay on the tank. When I started thinking about getting back on two wheels but at my age I did not need the bragging rights, I thought of a scooter. When it comes to scooters the bragging rights belong to Vespa. They're the original. If your girly you ride an S50 or LX50. If you manly you ride something bigger. The point is Vespa is to the scooter world as Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, GTO, and Challenger are to the car world.
Hooked
2020 GTS 300 Super
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 am quote
PabloLie wrote:
if you express your sexual orientation and preference with a vehicle choice, there's some disconnection there, in my opinion.
For me and I suspect a good many others, my vehicle choices aren't expressions of my sexual orientation. The problem could possibly be how others perceive someone's sexual orientation or gender based on their vehicle.
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:20 am quote
DLGANNETT wrote:
If your girly you ride an S50 or LX50. If you manly you ride something bigger. The point is Vespa is to the scooter world as Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, GTO, and Challenger are to the car world.
If there are those who know the world of muscular american cars it is possible ... but more in terms of style than of the engine.
Otherwise we would have to compare our scooters to lawn mowers.
Jim McClain wrote:
PabloLie wrote:
if you express your sexual orientation and preference with a vehicle choice, there's some disconnection there, in my opinion.
For me and I suspect a good many others, my vehicle choices aren't expressions of my sexual orientation. The problem could possibly be how others perceive someone's sexual orientation or gender based on their vehicle.
I would be in trouble, i have three wheels and it's a very ambiguous thing.
Addicted
2020 GTS 300 HPE
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:05 am quote
Attila wrote:
DLGANNETT wrote:
If your girly you ride an S50 or LX50. If you manly you ride something bigger. The point is Vespa is to the scooter world as Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, GTO, and Challenger are to the car world.
If there are those who know the world of muscular american cars it is possible ... but more in terms of style than of the engine.
Jim McClain wrote:
PabloLie wrote:
Tri-scooteral? (I just know that isn't going to translate well.) It's a joke. As in: tri-sexual... he'll try anything, once. (rimshot)
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 am quote
Captain Jim wrote:
Attila wrote:
DLGANNETT wrote:
Jim McClain wrote:
PabloLie wrote:
Tri-scooteral? (I just know that isn't going to translate well.) It's a joke. As in: tri-sexual... he'll try anything, once. (rimshot)
OMG!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:52 am quote
Triscooteral. I love the way it sounds.
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 am quote
necrothread...must be winter time cause this is a waste of internet space...anyway since i'm already wasting my time......to each their own
Grind wrote:
I'm not sure how to vote. I don't think Miatas are for chicks and gays, but Beetles are definately girl cars (but not necessarily gay) Vespas, on the otherhand, are all encompassing: chicks, dudes, gays, whatever - I get along with all of them.

Big-ass trucks, loud-ass Harleys and mean-ass pit-bulls are for guys with endowment issues. I see 'Stangs as gender nuetral rental-type cars. They don't have the 'nads to be masculine (my wife drives a Camaro SS )

I do, however, see gender in other vehicles, but none that are represented here.
lots of guys track race miatas cause they are run to drive and easy to modify on the cheap...beetles are cool...i like the older ones better than the newer ones...i ride a seafoam green scooter so there's that...jacked up trucks and jeeps with snorkel kits that never see any mud are for posers of both sexes in my opinion...harleys are cool but some of the leather clad pirates get a bad rap and are actually really cool and just want to ride (one waved to me on my scooter once)...mustangs and camaros

^^^this dude must be living back in 2006 before the mike vick case happened where they rehabbed a bunch of fighting dogs...oh wait

for the record i have 2 that are 8 years old and a 3 year old daughter and they get along just fine with everyone
waspmike wrote:
and anyone who wants to be able to drive by everyone else on the highway when it's snowing and people are driving like grandmas...which i very much enjoy

as well as travis pastrana who has bigger balls than all the dudes on this forum put together lol
https://youtu.be/4BZh-7hkNe4

Last edited by Point37 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:18 pm; edited 5 times in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Lx 50 4T, GTS 250, S 150 (Missing in KS), Something Chinese, GT 200 (sold)
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:39 am quote
Point37 wrote:
necrothread...must be winter time cause this is a waste of internet space...anyway since i'm already wasting my time......to each their own
Perhaps you ought to waste a little bit more of your precious time on here. 12 year old member with 300.😏

Nowadays we folks are linking videos with the URL BBCode tag.

Last edited by Max6200 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hooked
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 pm quote
Max6200 wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Perhaps you ought to waste a little bit more of your precious time on here. 12 year old member with 300.😏

Nowadays we folks are linking videos with the URL BBCode tag.
fixed but you may want to check your math again...try 2 year old member...that doesn't have a vespa...yet...

but yea i pop in when work slows...but i get mixed up...i'm a member on about 25+ forums...i only frequent about 5 of those now due to work computer restrictions and i still get mixed up how to post photos and videos...some are easier to go through tapatalk if the forum is available on there...some forums are more sophisticated and allow you to just post the youtube link and the video displays in the post automatically
Ossessionato
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:18 pm quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Attila,

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
-https://youtu.be/pnvy75T9emk-

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:25 am quote
Beauty is beauty, and I'm an aesthete. Art is gender neutral, and gender is a construct. Vespa is just art on wheels; is Picasso for men or women? The answer is it is neither, and it is both.
Ossessionato
GTS250
Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:24 pm quote
I had an old Beetle, a 1960, and it didn't make me feel any different. I feel like a manly man riding my GTS, but the Miata is not for me, I can't fit!
Molto Verboso
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:17 am quote
Miata Size
Syd,

I felt the same way - the Miata being to small to fit in.

Bob Copeland
Liberty 150
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:54 am quote
I don't want the cars to not see me in their endless quest to kill me
Add in living in a place with 200+ sunny days

Look for a men's jacket that isn't black or brown
Lady's, kids choices span the rainbow

I'm far more concerned with being seen, than what gender I'm being perceived as
Not dying is the best part of the ride!
Ossessionato
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:42 am quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Attila,

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
https://www.quattroruote.it/news/eventi/2020/11/23/mission_impossible_7_fiat_500_gialla_tom_cruise_roma.html

https://www.fcaheritage.com/en-uk/home

Last edited by Attila on Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190, Primavera
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:48 am quote
Attila wrote:
Bob Copeland wrote:
Attila,

Bob Copeland
Minnesota
https://www.quattroruote.it/news/eventi/2020/11/23/mission_impossible_7_fiat_500_gialla_tom_cruise_roma.html

https://twitter.com/Keats_Shelley/status/1330480280629637128
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.1865s ][ Queries: 27 (0.0324s) ][ Debug on ]