OP
@roninscooter avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500ie

@roninscooter avatar
2009 MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Hey Guys,

I have a 2009 MP3 500 IE. When I leave the bike parked, I usually turn the bars and lock the forks. Suspension is locked, kickstand down and parking brake engaged.

The bike will be left like this for up to 2 weeks at a time as I do not get to ride it often.

I the bike is left like this for more than an hour or so, the horn will start beeping whenever I insert the key and turn to the on position. The only way I can get it to stop is to start the bike and twist the throttle. It's rather embarassing and I cannot seem to figure out why.

Any ideas?
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: MP3 500 Horn Alarm goes off every time I turn it on. WT
RoninScooter wrote:
Hey Guys,

I have a 2009 MP3 500 IE. When I leave the bike parked, I usually turn the bars and lock the forks. Suspension is locked, kickstand down and parking brake engaged.

The bike will be left like this for up to 2 weeks at a time as I do not get to ride it often.

I the bike is left like this for more than an hour or so, the horn will start beeping whenever I insert the key and turn to the on position. The only way I can get it to stop is to start the bike and twist the throttle. It's rather embarassing and I cannot seem to figure out why.

Any ideas?
It is the tilt lock hydraulic low pressure warning.

Question, are you setting tilt lock then putting it on the center stand? If yes, that could be your issue. You don't have to use the center stand and the tilt lock. You could be causing negative pressure in the system by doing this. Use one or the other and see if issue stops.
If you want to use both, put it on the center stand, then turn off tilt lock and then turn the lock back on.

If that doesn't help, look for and leaks or fluid seeping out of any connections.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
To get it right ???

do you hear a beeping sound or does the Horn sound

beeping sound is low voltage warning recharge battery

horn is low flued warning fill lock system flued
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
To get it right ???

do you hear a beeping sound or does the Horn sound

beeping sound is low voltage warning recharge battery

horn is low flued warning fill lock system flued
He says in subject
"Horn Alarm"
Horn can mean low fluid or low pressure.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
he also wrote "the horn will start beeping "
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Maksor wrote:
American English for horn sounding. We say a horn beeps.
@maksor avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gilera Fuoco 500ie

Ossessionato
@maksor avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500ie
UTC quote
i've read the post for the third time and he's n't talking about a lock unlock fault so the beeping sound can also be from the speaker then its a low voltage alarm

when you hear the horn 9 out of 10 times you need to unlock manualy or can't lock the front

when you hear a beeping sound and have to give full throttle to start it's 6 out of 10 times a low voltage battery

it has a electronic fuel injection the ecu needs also power to read the mapping, when you give full throttle you override the mapping a littlebit, but it still needs power to respond

that's why modern electronic fuel injected scooters don't have a kickstarter iff the battery is to low it wont start even with a kickstarter the startermotor will draw all the power then there isn't enough for the ECU
⚠️ Last edited by Maksor on UTC; edited 2 times
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
StooterBoy wrote:
Maksor wrote:
he's from Canada though
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
StooterBoy wrote:
Maksor wrote:
he's from Canada though
So far Northern America
@beachcomber avatar
UTC

Midnight Blue MP3 400 "Trixie"

@beachcomber avatar
UTC quote
I also had this problem with my 2009 MP3 400 and it was the tilt lock hydraulic low pressure warning. When I would pull the scoot out of the garage, the tilt lock would feel a bit mushy, not quite as stiff as it normally would be. Then the horn would beep, informing the all my neighbors that I was going out for a ride.

My scoot usually sits for a few weeks at a time, especially in the winter if there's snow or ice or it's just too cold. The mechanic told me to put it up on the kick stand (which I always did), and to disengage the tilt lock. You just have to remember that it's off the next time you go to use it.
@yeeppers avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'09 MP3 500

Enthusiast
@yeeppers avatar
'09 MP3 500
UTC quote
RoninScooter wrote:
Hey Guys,

Any ideas?
How many times does the horn honk when you start your MP3? If it honks 5 times it should be a hydraulic error. This can be caused from low hydraulic fluid, air in the system, or faulty sensor that reads the pressure. I experienced similar problems when I bought my MP3.
@bikemor avatar
UTC

Hooked
2009 MP3 500, Red. Had MP3 250, Barron 150 Retro

Hooked
@bikemor avatar
2009 MP3 500, Red. Had MP3 250, Barron 150 Retro
UTC quote
how
would the center stand have anything to do with "causing negative pressure"

But yes, put on center stand and open the front lock so it's not locked.

When you go to move it lock it first then take off stand.

Al
@stooterboy avatar
UTC

Banned
MP3 500

Banned
@stooterboy avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
Re: how
Bikemor wrote:
would the center stand have anything to do with "causing negative pressure"

But yes, put on center stand and open the front lock so it's not locked.

When you go to move it lock it first then take off stand.

Al
Re-thinking that, I am wrong.
@beachcomber avatar
UTC

@beachcomber avatar
UTC quote
Starting the engine stopped the honking, which I could usually do in 5 honks. The cause was, indeed, leaking hydraulic fluid.
@marybarrow avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@marybarrow avatar
UTC quote
Mine did that in the beginning. When changing my windshield I went a little farther and took off the front cover and checked my fluid. It was perfect so I knew it was the tilt lock thing. Now when I leave it at home, I put it on the center stand, unlock the tilt and plug in the trickle charger. When using it again, turn it on, lock the tilt, take off brake and pull it forward off the stand. No more honking has been heard.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
However you do know you still have an underlying problem...
OP
@roninscooter avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500ie

@roninscooter avatar
2009 MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Honk
Sorry, the horn honks.

Thanks for the replies

I will go reset the tilt lock while it is on the centre stand. I'll also check the fluid although I am confident there has been no leak. It is currently stored for the winter, it only has 3000km on it and i have never seen any fluid below the vehicle.
⬆️    About 4 months elapsed    ⬇️
@silver_bullet_250 avatar
UTC

Lurker
MP3 250 cc

Lurker
@silver_bullet_250 avatar
MP3 250 cc
UTC quote
[size=12][/
[]HORN blowing, thanks to Scootboy/Beachcomber/Maksor for their knowledge and help, after I unpluged the horn , and did it the easy way,Ernie. [/u]
⚠️ Last edited by silver bullet 250 on UTC; edited 1 time
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
silver bullet 250 wrote:
[size=12][/
[u]HORN blowing, thanks to Scootboy/Beachcomber/Maksor for their knowledge and help, after I unpluged the horn , and did it the easy way,Ernie. [/u]
good for you to take the easy way out. Now we'll see how long before the failure rears it head and causes you more troubles. I see that this is you first post BTW.
I should say welcome to the forum. So wlecome to the MV MP3 forum.
@jimmythehat avatar
UTC

Addicted
GRAPHITE LX 150

Addicted
@jimmythehat avatar
GRAPHITE LX 150
UTC quote
Blow that sucker up!
@trirol1 avatar
UTC

Addicted
MP3 500

Addicted
@trirol1 avatar
MP3 500
UTC quote
had same problem
Vespa Dallas replaced a pressure switch or work order says oil switch
OP
@roninscooter avatar
UTC

2009 MP3 500ie

@roninscooter avatar
2009 MP3 500ie
UTC quote
Follow Up.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this forum.

So I took the ride into my dealer where I purchased the extended warranty.

He agreed that it had something to do with the hydraulic system but was sure it was an electrical problem. I came back a few hours later and he had replaced the switch which was worn and most of the wires.

I started it to ride home and : <HONK> <HONK> <HONK> <HONK> <HONK>!

He took the bike back in and a day later he sent me a photo of the tilt lock and said the cable clip in the tilt lock motor had broken.

The sun is shining and the ride is in a shop waiting for the part. It's been 2 weeks. Crying or Very sad emoticon

What can I do in the future to prevent this issue from happening again!?!

[/img]
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⬆️    About 2 months elapsed    ⬇️
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
What does one short honk and one long honk mean?
Hi,

I'm having tilt/suspension issues tool. Crying or Very sad emoticon Red warning light is on. Some times it will lock, some times it won't. I will be removing the covers and looking for hydraulic leaks, fluid levels and loose electrical connections but had a question on the number of honks.

I didn't know to count the honks earlier when I turned the bike on with the lock engaged and it started honking. My only goal was to stop the honks, so I don't know how many would have occurred.

This morning, after leaving the bike on the center stand with no tilt lock, I started the bike and rocked it off the center stand. Then I engaged the tilt lock. The red warning light was on and it took a few attempts to lock, but it did lock. When it did, the horn gave one short honk and one long honk and stopped. What does this indicate? The same thing as the five honks when starting the scooter with the tilt lock engaged or something else?

Thanks
@bubbajon avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@bubbajon avatar
RIP: MP3 500 - Brutto Moto
UTC quote
Re: What does one short honk and one long honk mean?
ScootMN wrote:
When it did, the horn gave one short honk and one long honk and stopped. What does this indicate? The same thing as the five honks when starting the scooter with the tilt lock engaged or something else?

Thanks
Something else - probably just a hiccup.
@fuzzy avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fuzzy avatar
. . 2008 Blue MP3 400. . di Peluria Orso .... 1993 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 ....... 2013 Honda NC700XD; 2017 Versys X300
UTC quote
Re: What does one short honk and one long honk mean?
ScootMN wrote:
Hi,

I'm having tilt/suspension issues tool. Crying or Very sad emoticon Red warning light is on. Some times it will lock, some times it won't. I will be removing the covers and looking for hydraulic leaks, fluid levels and loose electrical connections but had a question on the number of honks.

I didn't know to count the honks earlier when I turned the bike on with the lock engaged and it started honking. My only goal was to stop the honks, so I don't know how many would have occurred.

This morning, after leaving the bike on the center stand with no tilt lock, I started the bike and rocked it off the center stand. Then I engaged the tilt lock. The red warning light was on and it took a few attempts to lock, but it did lock. When it did, the horn gave one short honk and one long honk and stopped. What does this indicate? The same thing as the five honks when starting the scooter with the tilt lock engaged or something else?

Thanks
Most common cause is speed sensor. There are also some problems some of us have in cold weather, but even Minnesota this time of year is probably not 40F in the morning.
@14perry avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250

Ossessionato
@14perry avatar
MP3 400 / BV250
UTC quote
Speed sensor issues normally give you a beep-beep sound out of the tilt/lock module, not the stock horn. Mine does it once and a while. I get the beep, the yellow and red lights flash and I can't lock the tilt. Cycle the key and all is well for a while. I am sure its a broken wire in the sensor wires. I have the new harnesses and will replace next time I do a tear down. And no, I don't want to splice the new harness in.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Is it possible the Alarm is going off due to a Service Alarm.
I had a similar problem for my 600 Mile Service, that was driving me nuts.
So I found this information, and my MP3 has not made any sounds since.
It was embarrasing to start my MP3 early in the morning when my neighbors may still be in bed.

Follow these steps to reset the service icons:

1. With the key set to OFF, hold down the "SET" button and turn the key to ON : the "BELT" and "SERVICE" icons start flashing.

2. Push the "CLOCK" button for less than 1 second and the icons are displayed sequentially. he icon selected remains ON and the other is no longer displayed.

3. Press the "CLOCK" button again for more than 3 seconds to reset the relative maintenance step and the icon is no longer displayed.

This may be some help to you.
Keith, Marietta GA
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Took 'er into the shop
Well, the honking persisted. It was somewhat intermittant. I found shaking the scooter a little could set it off, so I suspect a connection or wire. In any case, it is still under warranty so I decided to let the dealer take care of it. The dealer is about 70 miles away, so I drove it up this morning. I was concerned that I woudn't be able to demonstrate the failure, but I needn't have worried. The service guy came out to get the mileage and license plate number. He turned on the ignition and guess what? Honk Honk Honk.

So now, I have to wait. Crying or Very sad emoticon I was told if they have to order parts it takes seven days. I suppose I'll survive.

Thanks for all the advice.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Re: Took 'er into the shop
ScootMN wrote:
Well, the honking persisted. It was somewhat intermittant. I found shaking the scooter a little could set it off, so I suspect a connection or wire. In any case, it is still under warranty so I decided to let the dealer take care of it. The dealer is about 70 miles away, so I drove it up this morning. I was concerned that I woudn't be able to demonstrate the failure, but I needn't have worried. The service guy came out to get the mileage and license plate number. He turned on the ignition and guess what? Honk Honk Honk.

So now, I have to wait. Crying or Very sad emoticon I was told if they have to order parts it takes seven days. I suppose I'll survive.

7 days if they have them in the USA. more if they have to come from Italy as it is Aug and they are shutdown over there for the month of Aug.

the dealer can have them wuicker but is probably waiting for a large enough order to meet the min $350 or get hit with a shipping charge from piaggio.
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
7 days if they have them in the USA. more if they have to come from Italy as it is Aug and they are shutdown over there for the month of Aug.

the dealer can have them wuicker but is probably waiting for a large enough order to meet the min $350 or get hit with a shipping charge from piaggio.
Well, this will be a good opportunity to learn how much confidence I should have in this dealer. 1) can they identify the problem quickly, 2) can they get parts relatively quickly, 3) do they they give their customers the straight scoop.

In the mean time I'm going to my happy place and try to pretend that I didn't here your dire warning, true as it may be.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
My MP3 250 just started this same problem.

When I turn the key, the "Horn" blows 5 times.
After it stops, I push the Horn button to compare to see if it is different sound. It is defintely the Horn...

Is this the same symtom you have.

Mine is still under warranty, so contacting my dealer.
Did you ever identify the solution to your problem, so I can share with them.

Thanks,
Keith
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
klaborde wrote:

After it stops, I push the Horn button to compare to see if it is different sound. It is defintely the Horn...

Thanks,
Keith
I'm waiting for a call from my dealer. I'll let you know what they say when they do call.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
ScootMN wrote:
klaborde wrote:

Thanks,
Keith
I'm waiting for a call from my dealer. I'll let you know what they say when they do call.
Great!
My dealer who just did my 600 Mile Maintenance, thinks it is a "Sensor".
He is ordering the part, so we will try this.

One thing I did notice now that the bike is parked back in the garage, my battery tender has been charging for a very long time. Normally it turns green within minutes. The battery measures below 12Volts. I called him and he said they took the seat off to replace the recall fuel pump, and that is probably why the battery is low. Has nothing to do with the Horn blowing. But it does blow 5 times and stops every time I turn the key.

Thanks for sharing...
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Called my dealer this afternoon. They found that the tilt lock switch was bad. I took it in on Thursday, without an appointment, and they were able to figure it out and order the switch on Friday. They say 4 to 5 business days to get the part so, if I'm really lucky, it might be ready yet this week. I'm ever the optimist.
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for update...

I will post back when mine is fixed, and what was done.
I am lucky where they ordered the part, and I still have my MP3.

I was warned to keep it on the stand just in case it does not decide to fall over on its own at night. Kinda scary to think one morning you look in the garage and find your bike laying on its side...
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
ScootMN wrote:

It seems as if you were correct. I just got back my scooter yesterday. Part came in the day before. I asked the dealer several times if the parts were coming from Italy, but he said he didn't know. The only thing he knew was that the order was placed with Aprillia. To his credit, he did reorder the parts last Tuesday and had then shipped express. He tried, a little.

They do seem to have fixed the problem. They replaced the the tilt lock switch and the pressure sensor. It was under warranty, so no cost.

It's good to be back on the road again!
@klaborde avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@klaborde avatar
UTC quote
My scoot is fixed too...
No more horn blowing when the key is turned.

What fixed the problem was just under the "ABS V", the long metal looking tube. This is actually a small master cyllinder.

What was happening is when I engaged the lock, the bike would stand upright, and after a few minutes the fluids that were holding the pressure would leak back into the resovoir. No leaks seen on the fllor, but it was actually leaking in reverse. After a period of time, the bike would have a lean to one side or the other.

How the problem was easily identified. Once locked with the front ABS removed, and pencil mark was made on the resovoir. Then you could see the fluid levels rising showing the back flow. My Dealer spent a good 1/2 day trying different things, but I am happy to say mine is solved now too.
@scootmn avatar
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3 500

Hooked
@scootmn avatar
Piaggio MP3 500
UTC quote
Good for you. Hopefully it didn't take four weeks!
@michelle_7728 avatar
UTC

Hooked
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s

Hooked
@michelle_7728 avatar
Two - 2009 Genuine Buddy 125s
UTC quote
marybarrow wrote:
Mine did that in the beginning. When changing my windshield I went a little farther and took off the front cover and checked my fluid. It was perfect so I knew it was the tilt lock thing. Now when I leave it at home, I put it on the center stand, unlock the tilt and plug in the trickle charger. When using it again, turn it on, lock the tilt, take off brake and pull it forward off the stand. No more honking has been heard.
Looking at your profile picture, your scooter has the extra two-wheel kit on it.

Seems like you wouldn't be able to (or wouldn't need to?) put it on it's center stand any more.

It doesn't still lean does it?

Just curious.
⬆️    About 8 months elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Lurker
Piagio MP3 400

Lurker
Piagio MP3 400
UTC quote
MP3 400Horm sounding off when I stop in the uprigh lock mode
I have and MP3 400 and drive approx 4-500klm /week. It's my daily work horse and I love it (most the time).

My horn now sounds off when I stop in the upright lock mode. This can happen at a full stop. or rolling to a red light. keeping the feet off the ground.

I read some post and kind people suggest that the fluid level is low. How doe this happen and is it easy to top up? What fluid do I use etc...

People look at me like I'm starting road rage LOL
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0475s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0229s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]