MP3 500 Horn Alarm goes off every time I turn it on. WTF!?!
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123Next
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Sun May 20, 2012 8:16 pm quote
Welcome, Baabaanz.

> fluid level ... is it easy to top up? What fluid do I use etc...

Did your bike come with an owner's manual? If not, PDFs of the owner's and service manuals available here:
http://www.scootermanuals.us/manuals/Piaggio%20MP3/MP3%20400/index.htm (linked on the MV wiki).

Last edited by ramblerdan on Tue May 22, 2012 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Hooked
09' MP3 500
Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 am quote
hmmm
well, my tilt lock red light came on...

but it did an unsteady beeping... then I read and read here to see if what my problem was was already posted... noticed thatthe LCD screen was not coming on at all. and am thinking battery, ( bike is an 09 that came with only 600 miles on ot, and i remembered when i got it home the screws to the battery cover were loose- dealer charging it, i thought) so i went and got a battery tender/charger after work and got crazy stuck in traffic on the way home.
this morning i go to attach the batter charger/tender and the seat wont open. press the unlock button and am greeted w/ total silence. :devil:

wtf?

any ideas?
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 am quote
> seat wont open. press the unlock button and am greeted w/ total silence

Unlock the helmet compartment with your key, release the seat lock via the helmet compartment per instructions in owner's manual*, and charge (or more likely, replace) your battery.

*Because you haven't completed your profile, I don't know which model you have. For the 400, the manual seat-unlocking procedure is on page 25.
Addicted
MP3 500
Tue May 22, 2012 8:11 am quote
LOS has a 500 ---
Ossessionato
2009 MP3 400
Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 am quote
500 owner's manual, page 25:
Quote:
Opening the saddle
With the key set to «ON» or «OFF», press it and turn it anticlockwise.
Not having a 500, I can't personally attest to the accuracy of that, especially considering that page 14 says the ignition lock has a position to open the helmet compartment (the 500 doesn't have one, right?), and page 21 refers to an "Emergency Saddle Opening section," but the section that describes manual opening (i.e., with the key) has no such title. It looks like someone modified the 250 or 400 manual for the 500, and erroneously left some things unchanged.

Losmeister, please complete your profile.

Last edited by ramblerdan on Tue May 22, 2012 9:48 am; edited 3 times in total
Addicted
MP3 500
Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 am quote
the ignition switch can open the seat compartment
Hooked
09' MP3 500
Tue May 22, 2012 12:09 pm quote
grazie
will complete profile and search for a place to get a battery ( 2 nite I'll try charging)

addendum...at work so cant l;ook s** up..

is it just a normal motorcycle battery?
anything special??
( thinking to take care of it on way home)
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm quote
Re: grazie
Losmeister wrote:
will complete profile and search for a place to get a battery ( 2 nite I'll try charging)

addendum...at work so cant l;ook s** up..

is it just a normal motorcycle battery?
anything special??
( thinking to take care of it on way home)
get a motobatt MBTX16U
Hooked
09' MP3 500
Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 pm quote
OAD
T'anks, man. motobatt.

I'll call around see if they are available anywhere close by.

ciao for now

Los

motobatt website free delivery. cool. they say its mbtx12u.

Thanks again guys...

shoot. 3 days since i done ridden.
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Tue May 22, 2012 2:31 pm quote
Re: OAD
Losmeister wrote:
T'anks, man. motobatt.

I'll call around see if they are available anywhere close by.

ciao for now

Los

motobatt website free delivery. cool. they say its mbtx12u.

Thanks again guys...

shoot. 3 days since i done ridden.
the mbtx12u will work but the MBTX16U is better. it has larger capacity and more CCA's definatley better if you have any aftermarket powered accessories. it fits perfectly. spend the little extra and get the 16 size.
Hooked
09' MP3 500
Wed May 23, 2012 5:17 am quote
aaaaaaaaahh!
well, went to motobatts site.
did it twice.
pick scooter, mp3 500 and the 12u popped up so i ordered it...

that was yesterday at work, before i read your post.
dunno if i can call and change the order or not. will try.
if it aint been shipped yet...

i tried charging the battery.
i think its dead. same symptoms as before.
tilt lock red light, no LCD.

gilera fuoco
Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 am quote
losmeister, check fuse nr7 7,5Amps, in trap near your right foot.
Hooked
09' MP3 500
Sat May 26, 2012 8:19 am quote
Sat morn
the motobatt is here( 16u, i caught 'em before they sent off the 12u)
so are my UFB and pegs, and my oil filetr and o-rings...

will update...

thanks for the fuse hint as well...we'll see, we'll see...

5 mins later....it was the battery....
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sat May 26, 2012 10:10 am quote
Re: Sat morn
Losmeister wrote:
the motobatt is here( 16u, i caught 'em before they sent off the 12u)
so are my UFB and pegs, and my oil filetr and o-rings...

will update...

thanks for the fuse hint as well...we'll see, we'll see...

5 mins later....it was the battery....
great you caught them prior to shipping. You'll really like the motobatt. the extra terminals are great if you have any accessories wires so you don't have to load everything on 1 terminal.
2010 Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Wed May 29, 2013 9:44 pm quote
I so love this forum - another problem explained!
I just tried to start my 2010 MP3 500 and the same thing happened. Horn started sounding intermittently as soon as I twisted the key. Unfortunately, this is at 10pm at night in an apartment complex.

Not a good thing (ironically installing a Stebel Nautilus horn tomorrow, glad I learned to stop locking the tilt lock when on the center stand. I look forward to sharing confirmation that is the issue after returning from the dealer (can you believe replacing an ignition lock due to a theft attempt costs almost $750US with parts and labor?!!?)
Hooked
MP3 400 LT 2009
Wed May 29, 2013 11:18 pm quote
We should be happy.....
jimc wrote:
However you do know you still have an underlying problem...
Hello ALL over there,

We should shake hands and thank each other. You all together make us all a more 'knowledges MP3 driver' and I very thanks full for this. And I think with me more riders.

The fact that we are here international active means we choose to use this language to communicate. But I think it is normal that the have different thoughts with perhaps the same words. Therefore I also have the idea its good to ask deeper/more if there can be any doubt in the interpretation of a word , saying or sentence.
Q.E.D. here.

Sorry to play umpire..........
Friendly greetings to all Nationalities,
André,
yes..... Dutch so pré-programmed to support Maksor a little little bit.
Ossessionato
2016 MP3/500 Sport ABS, 2009 MP3/250, 2012 GTS Super 300ie
Fri May 31, 2013 3:55 am quote
I have experienced this problem...
It could be as simple as Low Fluid, or a bad part...
Typically the ones that go out are:

Pressure Switch or the Master Cylinder.
Bring it to your Dealer...
If you try and fix yourself, you could buy parts you don't need.

Keith,
Marietta, GA
2010 Gilera Fuoco 500ie
Fri May 31, 2013 7:21 am quote
Confirmed: Caused by 3-Weeks with Tilt Lock On
The dealer did confirm that the problem was due to parking the bike for weeks. I had the tilt lock engaged and the bike was on its center stand. Live and learn, no more of that!
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Fri May 31, 2013 7:56 am quote
It should survive months and months without trouble - the longest mine has gone is three months - totally forgot to disengage it. However it's an unnecessary strain on the suspension locks and other bits that stay pressurised, and if there's a weakness it'll be found...
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250
Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:52 am quote
Horn alarm, 5 times
Well, it's an old thread, but I have this malfunction now and I must find a solution.
Maybe it would be polite to introduce myself: my name is Alberto, I am 57, live in Rome, Italy and ride the same MP3 250 i.e. since 2008, when I decided to replace my old Super Hexagon 180. During this (long) time I had more than my share of electrical troubles, most of which caused by moisture in the many connections of the vehicle. A few times, very few, the lighting of a warning light or the sound of a buzzer (or worse the main horn) was really witnessing a malfunction, but almost always it was only a malfunction of the sensor!
This behavior is typical of the modern "electric" vehicles and, since my job is related to airplane maintenance, I realized that the big difference between old Boeing and modern Airbus is just this: old mechanical devices can break (seldom without warning) but it is easy to prevent the breakage with proper maintenance; "Electronic assisted devices" very seldom fail, but very often tell you that a failure exist! And normally it is a broken cable, a dirty plug or simply moisture somwhere in the circuit.
The MP3 is definetly an "electronic assisted device", so it is full of sensors, plugs, sockets and control units. Only the thottle body connector has almost 40 pins, each of which can make a bad contact and warn for some strange failure.
The main cure for this problem is to spread a lot of contact cleaner spray (I use G-20 or WD-40) and then apply silicone compound to pack ALL plugs and sockets after cleaning. This prevents moisture to enter the socket and damage the pins.
After been warned by Roll-Lock light, buzzer, horn, low pressure warning (it may appear in the same location of the trip odometer/thermometer), engine injection malfunction, immobilizer fault, I saw All the warnings activate, one by one or two or three together!
Three very critical locations are the big ECU plug (the one on the throttle body), the dashboard sockets and the fron wheels speed sensors. This is because, although they should be protected against water spray by rubber flap (throttle body) or rubber covers (speed sensors) or scooter body itself (dashboard), water finds always its way and sooner or later enters the sockets and starts to make its oxydizing damage.
So, before trying to replace anything, disconnect all relevant plugs and thoroughly clean, de-moisturize and lubricate. Only if it doesn't help, start replacements and repairs (sometimes is possible to repair what Piaggio wants to be replaced...).
Now, the bloody horn: if it sounds five times (and it can only happen when the roll-lock is activated) it is "hydraulic fluid low level" and, after topping it up in the reservoir, we have to investigate where is the leak. Because it is a close circuit without elements subject to wear (like the brake pads), and, if the fluid level is low, it means that it must have been lost somewhere. This leakage is often a consequence of the replacement of the steering bearings, because to replace them, you must disconnect all the hoses that pass through the steering tubes and when reassembling, not all the "technicians" replace the aluminum washers (or better copper) over the banjo bolts... Remember to replace ALWAYS the washers, they are the only gasket for hyd hoses. And, if you find aluminum washers, possibly replace them with same size copper ones: they are far better.
If the horn sounds continuously, it il "hydraulic circuit low pressure", or better, the sensor (placed just above the roll lock electric motor) senses a low pressure downstream of the compressed pump (the one pushed by the motor).
It may happen, and normally does, that the pressure sensor lies. It costs more than 90 Euro, it is a lot for a stupid pressure switch, but, if the motor correctly pushes the pump, if there's no hyd fluid leak, and if the roll lock works correctly, it is likely that you have a faulty sensor.
I read that Piaggio easily changes control units and harnesses (very expensive) when a little troubleshooting could save a lot of spares, but their point of view is not ours: troubleshooting is time consuming and time is money. Much better to replace whole units, they certainly don't pay 450 Euro for a roll lock black box, you do! But Piaggio must pay for many hours of workaround and tinker, you don't... if you like to learn. And, having the workshop manual and this forum (there's another very good one in Italy: http://www.piaggiomp3isti.com/forum, but you must read it in Italian and I know it is not easy for ev'rybody...)
I have to apologize now for my long speech, but it's my experience and I hope it could be helpful for some MP3 rider and not only MP3, I have a BMW K75 also and with the same "medicine" I keep it on the road without problems since 1986.
Greetings to all
Alberto
Moderaptor
Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:18 am quote
Welcome to MV - and an excellent first post.
Addicted
MP3 400 "Merlin"
Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am quote
Quote:
It is the tilt lock hydraulic low pressure warning.

Question, are you setting tilt lock then putting it on the center stand? If yes, that could be your issue. You don't have to use the center stand and the tilt lock.
Ah, that's why Merlin honked at me a couple days ago. I told my husband not to engage the tilt lock when he put it up on the center stand - he didn't listen.
Ossessionato
MP3 400 / BV250
Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:34 pm quote
jimc wrote:
Welcome to MV - and an excellent first post.
+1

His post should be pasted into a WIKI!
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250
Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 am quote
Honk-Honk
Hello,
as I was forecasting yesterday, this morning went for troubleshooting... and found no trouble!
Of course, the reading the following is not mandatory, it's only my experience and it may be useful, or may not (it's a due disclaimer: somebody says that I am a little bit too much wordy...)
Anyway, for a couple of days I had my horn honking five times every time I tried to lock the front suspension and this should mean that the fluid level in the reservoir is low.
Yesterday night, coming back home, I put the tryke in my garage/workshop, took away the front fairing, the windshield and the dashboard upper cover and found the right level: no leak, no surprise. So I disconnected the pressure switch, grabbed my WD40 bottle and sprayed plenty of oil over the pressure switch contacts, the hyd pump inside the electric motor housing (yo've to remove a small black plastic lid) and, more important, in the roll lock switch, the one on the right handlebar.
Then I went to sleep and this morning ev'rything was allright! So, false contact!
By the way, some months ago I was riding with my wife along a very crowded street in the centre of Rome (where there's usually a scaring traffic) when the horn started to warn very loud for low pressure and obviously a lot of people started to look at me as I was crazy: very embarassing! I decided that Piaggio did not have a so good idea to arrange the warning that way: the horn is not aimed to you, it is aimed to the bloody motorist that's trying to kill you, so the sound of the horn, apparently without reason, is not exactly what you want.
Trying to locate and expose the horn itself was not an easy task, but eventually I found it concealed in the lower left side of that Piaggio calls a "spoiler" that is the cover underneath the footboard. It isn't very easy to extract it, but with some patience and a screwdriver it is possible. OK, the horn has two contacts, positive and ground, and the positive is actually a double wire, because one is the wire coming from the horn button on the handlebars (blue) and the other is coming from the roll-lock control unit (red/yellow). I cut the positive cable, separated the two wires and reconnected with a new plug the "normal" horn cable. Then I took a piece of wire to extend the alarm wire to a small 12 volt piezo buzzer that I placed under the dashboard cover, together with a very bright orange 12 V LED and connected the ground side (both of the buzzer and the LED) to a ground point (there are a lot in that area). Another suitable placement for the buzzer, with a much shorter (and easier to route) wire, is the cavity just above the horn, where's a small panel that can be opened lossening a screw. It is empty and there's a lot of room. Only... do not cut the alarm wire before buying the piezo buzzer: seldom, very seldom, you need to be warned about a real malfunction of the roll-lock!
So, this time, the sounding of the "Low Pressure Warning" has been annoying enough, but at least not so embarassing, taking also into account that I was back home after midnight and you can't exclude that there's somebody sleeping.
Alberto
Lurker
Piaggio MP3 250
Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 am quote
Oh, you CAN engage the roll lock when the scooter is on the centre stand, only remember to do this when it's arleady on stand. This to prevent the compression of the front suspension. It is true anyway that engaging the RL on the stand is useless! As it's useless the parking brake, with the rear wheel suspended above the ground.
Alberto
Fuoco / MP3 500
Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:21 pm quote
A new way to get this problem - my fuoco had been a very outdoorsy bike in the uk, so last year the side stand lever snapped off - it had rusted through completely. Bit of a pain, but I generally parked on a hill so most of the time it wasn't used anyway. After a few months of that I stopped using the fuoco entirely - various issues I didn't have time to sort, so it's been stood in a garage for 6 months on the lock.

Today I finally got around to swapping the stand for a new one, jacked it up pretty high so I could get the center stand free and some axle stands underneath it. Whilst it was up on the stands, I don't know why I did it, but I turned the bike on, the horn starts going

I've dropped it back on to the floor now, put it on the center stand, and I can't get the lock to disengage, even after the noise has stopped.

I'm re-charging the battery tonight, and also charging the replacement Motobatt battery - neither battery seems to be capable of disengaging the lock right now. Hoping this problem will magically vanish tomorrow.
Lurker
Mp3 250
Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:04 pm quote
Horn keeps beeping when lock suspension
I went on a trip for 4 days and left my MP3 250 parked with the front suspension locked. I came back from the trip and on the 5th day, I turned the scooter on and the HORN BEEP non stop. very annoying know knowing what was happening. so I removed the lock of the front suspension and the BEEP stopped. but now when I park and want to leave the front wheels locked instead of putting the stand, the Horn goes to BEEP again! any suggestions?
I live in a city where streets are in HILLS and and its hard to put the stand as the scooter will fall to the side. anyone that can tell me what the heck is going on with the scooter? last summer I left the scooter parked for 3 weeks with the suspension on lock and didn't have this problem.

thanks!

Mando
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:50 pm quote
Re: Horn keeps beeping when lock suspension
MandoSF wrote:
I went on a trip for 4 days and left my MP3 250 parked with the front suspension locked. I came back from the trip and on the 5th day, I turned the scooter on and the HORN BEEP non stop. very annoying know knowing what was happening. so I removed the lock of the front suspension and the BEEP stopped. but now when I park and want to leave the front wheels locked instead of putting the stand, the Horn goes to BEEP again! any suggestions?
I live in a city where streets are in HILLS and and its hard to put the stand as the scooter will fall to the side. anyone that can tell me what the heck is going on with the scooter? last summer I left the scooter parked for 3 weeks with the suspension on lock and didn't have this problem.

thanks!

Mando
low fluid in the hydraulics. pull the front plastics off to access the reservoir and top it off.
MP3 500
Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:57 pm quote
Resovior Fluid
What type of hydraulic fluid do you use?
Moderaptor
Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 am quote
Same as the brakes - DOT4.
MP3 500
Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 am quote
jimc wrote:
Same as the brakes - DOT4.
Thanks jimc!!!!
Hooked
MP3 500
Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:37 am quote
I have left mine unmoved for a week or so with the tilt lock engaged and no issue, but yesterday after not using it for a week it was leaning to the left and felt spongy.

Put the key in, turned it on and the Stebel started blaring. Thankully the neighbors were out. It stopped as soon as I started it and had no further issues for the day.

Since this is the first time it's happened, I'm tempted to just put a safety block under the left side to catch it should it recur, before tearing into the beastie. I'd like to think it may have been a hiccup, but I want to be able to trust it and not to have to use the rear stand.

Ideas?
Thanks
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 am quote
doxbike wrote:
I have left mine unmoved for a week or so with the tilt lock engaged and no issue, but yesterday after not using it for a week it was leaning to the left and felt spongy.

Put the key in, turned it on and the Stebel started blaring. Thankully the neighbors were out. It stopped as soon as I started it and had no further issues for the day.

Since this is the first time it's happened, I'm tempted to just put a safety block under the left side to catch it should it recur, before tearing into the beastie. I'd like to think it may have been a hiccup, but I want to be able to trust it and not to have to use the rear stand.

Ideas?
Thanks
no need for a block if you put it on the center stand.

Also think about changing the wiring on your stebel. only use the lead to the stock horn from the button for the stebel and leave the other one inplace for the stock oem horn for the alarm.
Hooked
MP3 500
Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:34 am quote
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

Also think about changing the wiring on your stebel. only use the lead to the stock horn from the button for the stebel and leave the other one inplace for the stock oem horn for the alarm.
I did use the wire from the horn to power the Stebel relay as I did not see the horn relay option until afterwards. That's why I'm confused why the Stebel went off?? Also if I use the center stand, I'll never know if the tilt lock is failing, right?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:05 pm quote
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

I did use the wire from the horn to power the Stebel relay as I did not see the horn relay option until afterwards. That's why I'm confused why the Stebel went off?? Also if I use the center stand, I'll never know if the tilt lock is failing, right?
did you separate the 2 wires going into the oem horn and only use the one coming from the horn button for the stebel?
Hooked
MP3 500
Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:55 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

did you separate the 2 wires going into the oem horn and only use the one coming from the horn button for the stebel?
yep. used the one that energized with the horn button
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:03 pm quote
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

if this is the case the stebel can not go off with out depressing the horn button itself.
Hooked
MP3 500
Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:36 pm quote
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

if this is the case the stebel can not go off with out depressing the horn button itself.
that's what I thought, but?
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:29 pm quote
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:
old as dirt wrote:
doxbike wrote:

Ideas?
Thanks

that's what I thought, but?
if your stebel is a stand alone isolated horn used with a relay that is triggered with the horn wire it can't energize unless the button is depressed.
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Moderaptor
Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 pm quote
The above assumes you cut the wire from the horn button and connected to the cut wire. If you just spliced into it both horns would work whatever triggered them.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Pin Badges   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion Previous123Next
[ Time: 0.2690s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0489s) ][ Debug on ]