UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Hello all,
I read the posting in the tech library about re-keying a GT200 top case, and I was hoping I could get a locksmith to re-key my ET4 top case. I've got the Vespa one on there.

I took the case to a locksmith and he said he couldn't re-key the top case with the ignition key because the ignition key wouldn't fit in the box's lock. He kept saying how they were "different blanks" or some such.

That said, has anyone else been able to accomplish this feat? Should I try to find a better locksmith or just give up?
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Never have seen, touched or played with Vespa locks but have picked and rekeyed a few locks in my life (legally of course).

So to translate what the Locksmith said. If they are different "blanks", then the ignition key will NOT fit in the top box, and vice versa.

Your first test is to take your ignition key, and see if it fits the lock in the top box. By fit, I mean just be able to push it in, it won't turn (until you "rekey" ie change the wafers). If it does not fit, then what your locksmith said is true sort of. Can't really key it to match a key that doesn't fit.
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Rats. The ignition key doesn't fit in the top case lock. Crying or Very sad emoticon

Any other options?
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Oliver - Can you post a picture of the ET4 top case lock assembly? I'm just wondering if it's similar enough to the LX or GT top case lock to fabricate something. The GT top case lock definitely uses the same blank as the ignition, and I think the LX does as well.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
If the ignition key of your ET will fit the LX/GT Top Box Lock, then you might be able to change and key your Top Box Lock with an LX/GT cam lock.

If it does not, then you'd have to change you Ignition and Top Box lock for a GT/LX combo.

I don't have access to Locksmith supply catalogs any more, but you might be able to order a cam lock for the Top Box that will take the ET4's ignition key.
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Sorry for the low quality; I don't have the digicam handy. Here's the keyhole, lock mechanism and a key comparison.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Of the 2 keys, the bottom one is for your Top Box right? The Top key matches my LT-150's key.

Which is a match for a Fiat GT15R (Silca Key blank Code) in a non transponder blank.

http://www.nwkeys.co.uk/Portal.aspx?page=43&prod=3359

It looks like you maybe able to get this cylinder:
http://www.nwkeys.co.uk/Portal.aspx?page=43&prod=4916

Replace it with the one in you Top Box, then key that cylinder to your Ignition key. Check with your locksmith if that cylinder will fit in your top case lock barrel. I don't have a Silca Catalog to look up specs, since silca.it does not have that information on line.

Are there any markings on the top case lock?
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
Awesome help so far-thanks a lot.

Yes, the top key in the photo is the ignition key and the bottom key is for the case.

The lock says "ZADI" (brand name?) and also the latch says "414" on it.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Zadi is a lock maker in Europe. I don't know much about them, they might have a matching cylinder for your ignition key.

Anyone want to put up some pictures of the GT and or LX keys? If they match the ET key, then you can just get the Top Box lock from a GT or LX top box to put in your ET Top Box to rekey.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
My GT key looks exactly like his ET4 key. I'd wager they're exactly the same. In fact, I bought a transponder-type key blank from Rockridge Two Wheels, and it's a generic Piaggio key, not Vespa-specific. I'd go so far as to say that the ignition key is the same across most of Piaggio's line. Not so sure about recent additions like Aprillia.

Not quite sure the locks from the GT or LX top case would be a perfect match, as the details of the latch may be different. Also not sure the cylinder from GT or LX top cases would slide into the ET lock assembly. If it were me, I'd probably attempt to make it work, but not sure if everyone's as Dremel-Happy as I am.
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
The plot thickens...
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Here's my ignition and top case keys (ignition is on the top) and a picture of my GTs top case lock from behind.
The ignition key is on the top. They definitely are the same type of blank, as I put the wrong key in the wrong lock all the time.
The ignition key is on the top. They definitely are the same type of blank, as I put the wrong key in the wrong lock all the time.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I'm going to have to agree with Jess on this one, just find/order a GT Top Box lock make it work and rekey it. Maybe you'll get lucky and just swap them out. Some of those locks have removable tail pieces. At the back, just unscrew it, and you can change out the piece if your hook happens to be different from the one for the GT.

I say try to borrow a GT top box lock from someone / somewhere to see if you can make it work.

If not then call around to some locksmith that can get Zadi parts.
OP
@oliver avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2004 ET4

Enthusiast
@oliver avatar
2004 ET4
UTC quote
All right; anyone know where to get a GT top box lock mechanism?
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
Try Scooter Originali. When they were getting rid of all their Display ET ones on Ebay, I remember a few of them was without lock, but also stated they can get locks for them for an Additional $XX. They might even be able to tell you if the GT one will fit in an ET Box.

Or maybe Motorsport Scooters. They seem to be good with my strange parts request.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0348s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0082s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]