What is the maximum load weigh for a Vespa GTS 300 top case?
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
Black Molly - GTS 300 Harley Super Glide
Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am quote
How much weight can you carry in a Vespa GTS 300 top case?

I'm not interested in how much weight is theoretically possible.

I am interested in learning the maximum weight as recommended by Piaggio.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:33 am quote
IIRC, there's a sticker on the rear rack that says what the max capacity is.
Molto Verboso
Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:41 am quote
stinkyjones wrote:
IIRC, there's a sticker on the rear rack that says what the max capacity is.
I don't have the rack and I don't have the box.

I was hoping that someone with a box and rack could tell me

I looked online at the case specifications but didn't find anything
Ossessionato
01 ET2 - 01 ET4 -- 05 GT200L / 05 PX150 / 1986? Honda CH150 Deluxe.
Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:16 am quote
Not more then 12-14lbs.
Moderatrixxx
GTS250 'Girlfriend'
Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:18 am quote
The rear rack on my GT200 is rated at 6kg - just under 14 lbs. I've loaded it up with considerably more than that on occasion, but I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.
Molto Verboso
Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 am quote
I wonder if different racks and different cases have different limits or if 5 - 6 kg is the standard?

Are those Vespa racks and cases that are 12 - 14 lbs?

5 kg is not very much, is it?

Probably just a six pack then
The Beer Guy
2010 GTS 300 Super
Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:09 am quote
It's not just a question of how much the rack/top case can hold, but how that weight will affect the handling of the scooter. A lot of weight is going to significantly change the way it feels and rides. Judging from when I've had a 12-pack of beer in mine, I know I wouldn't want to carry much more than that.
Ossessionato
2009 GTV 244, 2005 BMW F652 CS, 2001 ET4 150
Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:15 am quote
IIRC, the sticker says 10kg.

FWIW, my Zero case weighs probably 15lbs (perhaps more). I have loaded it up with 6 2ltr bottles of seltzer, several bottles of wine and various other grocery items at one time, and haven't had a issue--BUT, i would never consider going over 35mph with that much weight on the back.
Moderatrixxx
GTS250 'Girlfriend'
Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:18 am quote
there are three potential problem areas to consider when loading the top case: the rack itself, and how/where it's attached to the scooter body; the point(s) where the case is attached to the rack; and the fastenings and fittings on the topcase itself. the weight limit of the rack itself is likely to be the most important mitigating factor in how much you can actually get on board, so i tend to pay attention to that limit, bearing in mind that manufacturers tend to be somewhat conservative in their estimates.

the other two variables can make a difference, though: my Givi case, for example, is as tough as nails - the catch and hinge are very secure, and it's bolted to the rack with four bloody great bolts that aren't going to let go any time soon. My Vespa case had a flimsy hinge and lock, and was attached to the rack with a single bolt that I didn't have much faith in. I'm confident that when i go over bumps or rough spots in the road, that the Givi will stay shut and attached to the rack, but I didn't feel that way about the Vespa case.
Molto Verboso
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:57 pm quote
Warning sticker says "8 lbs." (3.6 kilos)
When the 300 engine first became available in the states, it only came as the GTS 300 i.e. Super. The Super does not come with a rear rack. Instead it comes with a single, passenger grab rail.

I traded in my GTS 250 i.e. for one of the first 300s that became available and when I took delivery, I swapped the rack and OEM top box from the 250 to the 300, (with the dealer's blessings).

Just went out into the garage and looked inside the box. The warning sticker says, "Max Load 8lbs.", and other gibberish warning about the dangers of overloading the box. (For the rest of the world, that's a touch more that 3.6 kilograms.) I'd have to remove the box to see what the load capacity of the rack is ... something that I'm not going to do.

Eight pounds isn't much. I've carried more than that with no issues.
Banned
Vespa GTS 300 Super & Vespa P125X
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:33 pm quote
The weight restrictions Piaggio puts on the rack isn't just because the rack can only hold 12-14 lbs. It can physically hold a hell of a lot more. The reason they put a lower number on it is because often adding weight to the rear of the bike adversely affects the way the bike handles. Generally the more weight you put over the rear the more head-shake you can experience in the handlebars etc....
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2002 Bajaj Legend 150 and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Location: Santa Clara, Cullyforneetsnotatyumah, United States of Whatever
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:54 pm quote
I know from experience that the stock chrome GTS rack doesn't like to carry a lot of weight. I learned this after mounting my 4 gallon spare tank in there on my Cannonball bike, which weighed about 25 lbs when full, about double the recommended load. During both Cannonballs in 2008 and 2010, one or both of the hinge pin retaining clips popped off, the pin slipped out, which caused the rack to bend under the weight and stress. After doing my best to bend the rack back into shape, my fix was to use two small hose clamps and two 1/2" sections of fuel line to hold the hinge pin in place; those C-clips are worthless. In fact, I'd recommend that everyone use that fix rather than run the risk of the pin sliding out when the C-clips pop off. Until the pin came out on my Cannonball bike though, the rack did seem to hold up ok under the weight. However, I do agree that having that much weight so far up and to the rear does affect the handling considerably. It's very top heavy and creates considerable wobble; adding preload to the rear shocks and extra air to the rear tire does help somewhat, but it still takes a bit of getting used to.
Molto Verboso
Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:15 am quote
Thanks for the information... I had not thought about the weight issue in terms of control of the front end.

I guess at the end of the day, you wouldn't want to put too much more weight than suggested due to the strength of the rack and box - especially with one screw holding - if I understand that correct. Also the wobble issue is something that is pretty dangerous.

I read that most people put the heavy things in the pet carrier while the case is more for volume.

Thanks everyone for the information. I ordered a Vespa top case and rack today. It is supposed to arrive on Tuesday!
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2002 Bajaj Legend 150 and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Location: Santa Clara, Cullyforneetsnotatyumah, United States of Whatever
Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:45 am quote
Actually, the GTS topcase is attached to the rack by four bolts and a mounting plate, and the rack is attached to the frame and the grab rail by two bolts each. So, everything is actually attached in a pretty sturdy way, just the hinge pin of the rear rack is an Achilles heel for the GTS. You'll really enjoy having the carrying/storage space, it comes in very handy. One tip though: be careful not to overstuff the topcase, it may not latch properly if it's too full. Enjoy!
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa
Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:55 am quote
LIFER would love to see some pics when you get thru with all your mods. I just have a rear fold down rack which really comes in handy, Enjoy
Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 am quote
I keep my topcase under 28-30 Lbs when traveling, Its a Givi 47L.

You will feel it in the front end when carrying that much weight, though not really a problem, you get used to it.

I fabricated a small brace mounted to the two screws above the licence plate to the rear part of the rack for support and to reduce bounce/vibration. I also drilled & tapped thru the two bolt holes in the grab rail. A class 6 bolt thru the grab rail with a nyloc nut is more secure than just the threads in the grab rail.

Loads of miles on this setup and not a single issue.

Confident in the belief that '6Kg weight limit' sticker was written by lawyers and not engineers.

IMHO.

R

Cross Egypt Challenge - A 2400km ride throughout Egypt   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Yelcome Leather Top Cases and Roll Bags for Piaggio Vespa PX LX LXV GTS GTV
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.2318s ][ Queries: 30 (0.1000s) ][ Debug on ]