I had a spill today.
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 am quote
I took a rather sharp corner too fast and had a spill. I ended up on the curb so at least I was out of traffic's way. I am totally fine, I just scratched up my knee and arm, but nothing serious. A bit shaken up, mostly I feel incredibly stupid but I know it happens. People around me were all super concerned, called 911, made sure I was okay, etc.
I live a few miles from work so I drove it slowly and safely back to my apartment and will drive the car for a while...

Luckily I took all pre-safety precautions...I had really solid doc martens boots on so it scraped that up... scooter is okay, mirrors need adjusting and only a few scratches... the piece on top of the panel is loose, a little piece broke off on the top side... a little bump on the front.

It was also one of those things that must look 1000x worse to a witness then being the victim... I usually recover from accidents rather fine (surfing, snowboarding, etc). But I feel worse about the Vespa.

Also... thank goodness I have a $100 insurance deductible for collision... this thing is gonna get fixed. After this I think I'm going to raise my liability as well.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:26 am quote
Sorry that you had a spill and glad neither you or the scooter were hurt very muck. Motrin is your friend for a couple of days. It takes a while to get the hang of corners and such. Remember you have a lot of horse power underneath you. Ride safe and a belated Aloha and welcome to the forum.
Hooked
White Squall - 2009 GTS 250 Super
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 am quote
Glad you're okay. Thanks for the reminder to wear our protective gear to keep us safe. Like you said, the Vespa can get fixed.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 am quote
I got a dr's appointment today just to make sure things are ok. My ego is a bit bruised... but now looking at Google Maps where I dropped... it's like literally a V corner turn !!

Once it gets fixed I'm going to take an easier route.
Hooked
09 Vespa GTS 250ie
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 am quote
I am sorry to hear that you've had your scooter just a couple of days and already had a crash.

I am going to be a little patronizing here to suggest that two-wheeler cornering skills are complex and take time and experience to master. It's not at all unusual for new riders of scooters and motorcycles to have very little control of their cornering lines and regularly turn too quickly or too late. Your cornering line then can bring you into contact with the curb, or take you into the path of an oncoming car (or truck!).

Small scooters like the Vespa 250 are deceptively easy to turn because of their short wheelbases and small wheels. Even a small motorcycle can be more challenging because you usually have to countersteer to lean the bike in order to turn. Countersteering is a much more subtle process on a Vespa than on a bike, but it needs to be learned.

The M1 two-wheel road test is really not a useful test of skill. To be able to be a safe two-wheeler pilot, you need focused additional work. The methods of controlling cornering lines include many factors, including knowing what speed is appropriate for initiating and maintaining the line you have chosen and the reasons for choosing a specific line through any given corner.

Lots of books on safe motorcycle handling and skill development. There are a couple by David Hough (Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycing) which can be very rewarding to read.
saggezza di scala
2009 'Burma Shave' Red GTS 250ie
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 am quote
xtine wrote:
Once it gets fixed I'm going to take an easier route.
So sorry about the wipe out. Heal yourself and fix your scoot. But think twice about changing your route for an easier one.

Scooters are the most nimble vehicles on the road. If you need to slow down and review your mechanics... go for it. But don't let this fall shake your confidence.

So long as you don't let anything or anyone to take you out of your comfort zone, you and you Vespa will own any road you can find.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300(black & white), GTS300(red)
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 am quote
Good.... Now you got that out of the way... Brush yourself off, fix that scoot and get out there and practice, practice, practice.... You will continue to get any support you ask for form this group on MV. If it was me, I'd find a big empty parking lot and do circles and figure 8"s until I was dizzy.... then go back the next day and do it again.

Remember we like pictures......
Hooked
Vespa 2010 GTS Super 300ie
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 am quote
Oh my goodness! I'm glad you & the scoot are ok, Xtine! Take care!
Veni, Vidi, Posti
Neutrino MP3 492.7 AK, 2013 Moto Guzzi Norge
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am quote
glad your not to banged up and will heal quickly. Now start looking for some armored gear.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am quote
Proficient Motorcycling was on my Amazon list already, now I'll pick it up sooner.
I think I'm going to practice a bunch in a parking lot once I get it fixed.
I already feel incredibly stupid (although now I realize that turn is hard and I had trouble with it yesterday), but I won't let it totally shake me up. It's hard not to, though.
I feel like people are going to bemoan my choice of riding a scooter because of my fall.
Ossessionato
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:20 am quote
Re: I had a spill today.
xtine wrote:
I just scratched up my knee and arm, but nothing serious. .
Glad you're 'ok'

What were you wearing? If a slow speed causes scratched up knees and arms, imagine what a higher speed incident could have done. Real gear is worth it.

A good thing to do to get used to any ride is to go to a large empty parking lot and practise all the tight turns, slow speed manouvering, faster turns away from other traffic.
We have used the parking lots down by Santa Monica beach between Pico and Ocean Park. Early in the morning no-one is there.
Ossessionato
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 am quote
xtine wrote:
I feel like people are going to bemoan my choice of riding a scooter because of my fall.
Who cares what other people think?!
Ossessionato
2013 Hodna NC700XD
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:23 am quote
Sorry to hear about your wreck. Healing mojo sent your way!
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:30 am quote
Desmolicious wrote:
xtine wrote:
I just scratched up my knee and arm, but nothing serious. .
Glad you're 'ok'

What were you wearing? If a slow speed causes scratched up knees and arms, imagine what a higher speed incident could have done. Real gear is worth it.

A good thing to do to get used to any ride is to go to a large empty parking lot and practise all the tight turns, slow speed manouvering, faster turns away from other traffic.
We have used the parking lots down by Santa Monica beach between Pico and Ocean Park. Early in the morning no-one is there.
I was wearing a leather jacket, jeans, gloves, helmet, doc marten boots.

I only have a bruise on my arm and a scratch in between where glove and sleeve meet. Scratched up knee. I have a 5.0 corazzo heading my way. Leather jacket is so so protection but i definitely need the armor.

I live near the Santa Monica Ocean Park Lot that's adjacent to the airport, so I'm going to do practice during the weekends for sure. Going to master those turns!!
Addicted
Pearly White GT 200 Buttercream '79 P200
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am quote
May as well get out there again now and ride it around now that it's already scratched up! That way, if you come off while practicing, it won't matter so much. But don't wait too long before riding again, as the longer you wait, the more confidence you bleed out!
Molto Verboso
Vespa LX150 "Belissimo"
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:42 am quote
xtine wrote:
Some people will, but those are the same people who will never get to experience the joy of riding a scooter. But I get it. I only had my Vespa for 2 months when I went down is a very slow speed turn (too slow and turned my wheel) and broke my shoulder.

Lots of "bemoaning my choice of rdie" from family and friends. Unfortunately, I couldn't jump right back on, but it sounds like your down time will be short.

Yes, practice, practice, practice and remember turns and taking them at the right speed is always a little tricky.

I have one of those V type turns on my route to work, but I don't like it so I don't take it. Sometimes on some of my left turns with heavy traffic coming up behind me, getting me concerned about getting rear-ended. I just go up and go around the block. Stay within your comfort zone and build the zone with practice.

You will be right back in the saddle soon!
Addicted
No more Vespa
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:58 am quote
Oh, well... stuff happens

2 suggestions:
1. Be ready to feel a bit worse tomorrow
(You can guess how I know this)

2. It might be a good idea to wait a little on the more expensive repairs,
in case you experience another spill
(Yup, you can guess how I know this)
Addicted
LXV150
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:03 pm quote
Good to see yer okay. Don't let it deter you from future riding.
Hooked
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 pm quote
Sorry to hear about this. Having falls/accidents sucks no matter what you are riding.

Hope you get back on it soon! Don't let it get you down.
Molto Verboso
GTS Vintage Red
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm quote
Sorry about your spill. Tight corners are one of the many New Rider areas where an accident can occur. I dropped my Vespa during the first month of riding. Felt like an idiot and did not ride for a while...

When you are ready, get back in the saddle and ride! Keep your head up and Ride Safe!

Cheers,

G
Enthusiast
GTS 250ie
Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:11 pm quote
Glad your ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Ossessionato
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:08 pm quote
xtine wrote:
I took a rather sharp corner too fast and had a spill. I ended up on the curb
A very valuable learning tool is determining what went wrong so you do not do it again.

What exactly happened?

Did you loose grip in the turn and have it skid out on you?
Did you go too fast, panic, lock the brakes and drop it?
Did you target fixate on the curb and run into that?

We can't tell from the description.
Hooked
09 Vespa GTS 250ie
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:35 pm quote
Going slow
xtine wrote:
Now I realize that turn is hard and I had trouble with it yesterday, but I won't let it totally shake me up. It's hard not to, though.
Vespa 250s are quite powerful and fast and that's not only a good thing, but also a very big risk factor. Not like a 1000cc motorbike, but still very significant.

So the relevant caution is to take it easy and work on being conscious of your speed. More speed is hazardous because it reduces the time you have to make scooter control decisions. You can't just jam on the brakes on a scooter and expect to avoid a crash.

If you want to ride fast, first become very very good at going slow. Work on the techniques for reducing your speed very efficiently going straight and in a corner.

Scooters and motorbikes are risky because you can only protect yourself to a limited degree if you crash. Crash avoidance is a matter of risk management. If you work on your riding skills, and on your total awareness of what is going on around you on the road, then you can adequately manage your risk.

I rode bicycles in urban traffic for over 30 years before I ever got a scooter or a motorbike. I know very many such bicyclists who have never had an serious injury from a crash. With a bicycle you learn to be totally aware and this makes all the difference. A two wheeler with a motor requires even more total awareness because of the ease of attaining relatively high speeds.
Addicted
LX150
Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm quote
Turtle_GT wrote:
Oh, well... stuff happens

2 suggestions:
1. Be ready to feel a bit worse tomorrow
(You can guess how I know this)

2. It might be a good idea to wait a little on the more expensive repairs,
in case you experience another spill
(Yup, you can guess how I know this)
This was a very cute post. Made me smile.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm quote
Desmolicious wrote:
xtine wrote:
I took a rather sharp corner too fast and had a spill. I ended up on the curb
A very valuable learning tool is determining what went wrong so you do not do it again.

What exactly happened?

Did you loose grip in the turn and have it skid out on you?
Did you go too fast, panic, lock the brakes and drop it?
Did you target fixate on the curb and run into that?

We can't tell from the description.
I wasn't looking very well at where I was turning to. It's sharp so my gaze was more curbside instead of way way left where it should have been. Ran onto curb and fell. I realized this all after the fact, unfortunately.

Should have gone much, much slower, braked a bit sooner, and looked much more at where I wanted to be, not where I would have ended up.

Normal turns I have no problem. I really underestimated the "V."
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm quote
Oh and ironically, the crash bars I had ordered from ScooterWest arrived today.
Ossessionato
Vespa 2005 GT200 & Honda Metro
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 pm quote
xtine wrote:
I am glad your injuries were slight (I have had my instance of a fall...hence I know the feeling!)

Also glad you were able to reflect back and figured out how important is is to look into your turn. I routinely practice my head turns to insure a complete, clean sharp turn. This is a routine conditioning drill.

Lastly...crash bars will minimize damage...not eliminate. My crash bars protected the farings and the cowling from damage. Too bad my front side panel was not too fortunate. Regardless could have been worst.

Take Care and Ride Safe!
Enthusiast
GTV 300, Ducati Diavel, BMW K1600
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:31 pm quote
Hey, Sorry bout the bang up.
Where'd you go down?
Were you going north on Bundy past SM airport today?

When taking the MSF course teacher said something I always remember about taking turns: "Easy in, Out with a grin."

Take care!
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm quote
petermike wrote:
Hey, Sorry bout the bang up.
Where'd you go down?
Were you going north on Bundy past SM airport today?

When taking the MSF course teacher said something I always remember about taking turns: "Easy in, Out with a grin."

Take care!
Barrington and Gateway.
Ossessionato
LX150, GTS300(black & white), GTS300(red)
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:48 pm quote
Not saying anything.... just puting it out there for fokes to look at....

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/scooter_tips-screen.pdf
Enthusiast
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm quote
Know that intersection well.
That's where my dry cleaner is!

Have you done any kind of 2 wheeled motorized riding before?
SM Airport parking lot a good idea.
Also:

https://training.msf-usa.org/RES/street/enroll/streetintro.aspx

Seeya in the 'hood.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm quote
The BRC2 might be a good thing. Do they allow scooters?
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:08 pm quote
Glad you are OK and ready to ride again. That whole looking where you want to go is the most important thing I learned riding. Doing figure eights during MSF was hard because you are basically looking backwards while moving forward.

Good luck!
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:10 pm quote
xtine wrote:
Oh man, talk about bad timing! Well, thankfully your injuries are not serious, but as it has been mentioned here, expect to feel more aches and pains over the next day or two. If they go away or start to feel better within a few days, you should be just fine, but if anything isn't getting better within a week or so, you should should consider going to see a doctor, just to be on the safe side. Soft tissue injuries don't always show up right away and they can sometimes require physical therapy in order to heal properly. Hopefully that won't be the case though!

Try not to beat yourself up over what happened and don't let it discourage you from riding. Instead, use the experience as a learning opportunity to improve your skills, then get back in the saddle and practice those lessons learned. Be prepared to feel more uncomfortable than you used to be, when you first get back on. That's natural after having a spill, but as you keep riding, your confidence will return, and continue to improve along with your experience and skill. Good luck, be safe and heal quickly!
Ossessionato
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm quote
xtine wrote:
I wasn't looking very well at where I was turning to. It's sharp so my gaze was more curbside instead of way way left where it should have been. Ran onto curb and fell. I realized this all after the fact, unfortunately.

The mantra is "you go where you look"
When you practice tight turning, exaggerate turning your head to look where you want to go. You will then find the bike effortlessly follows your intentions.

Target fixation - we've all done that beginning riding. Realizing that was the issue is the key.
Ossessionato
Vespa GTS
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm quote
Bagle wrote: Well, thankfully your injuries are not serious, but as it has been mentioned here, expect to feel more aches and pains over the next day or two.

How come when you get hurt it hurts more the next day but if I go out and have fun and am feeling no pain shouldn't I feel even better the next day? That's just not right.
Hooked
Vespa GTS250, PX125
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:27 pm quote
I actually went to the doctor today just as a precaution, and he took one look at me and was like "you're fine." Then proceded to tell me how he fell off a scooter once before.

I'm more dreading the call to the insurance than my physical pain tomorrow...

I'm going to master figure eights once I get my scooter fixed. Going to get it checked out in a few days, I hope.
Enthusiast
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:32 pm quote
they don't allow scooters at the class in west LA, but that's ok. What you learn when riding their motorcycles makes scootering different, better, maybe easier. Counter-steering low speed maneuvers, figure 8's, etc. not to mention great rules of the road class. Good stuff to know.
Ossessionato
2010 Vespa GTS 300, 2007 Vespa GTS 250, 2007 Vespa GTV, 2010 Stella 4T #3, and a bunch of broke down vintage scoots
Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:35 pm quote
Santiago wrote:
Bagle wrote: Well, thankfully your injuries are not serious, but as it has been mentioned here, expect to feel more aches and pains over the next day or two.

How come when you get hurt it hurts more the next day but if I go out and have fun and am feeling no pain shouldn't I feel even better the next day? That's just not right.
Because, like I said, the aches and pains don't show up right away when you injure yourself... so whether or not it feels good, stop going out and injuring yourself, silly!

xtine: Good on you for seeing the doctor, it's better to be safe than sorry!
Addicted
two Vespa GTSs (Dragon Red and Black) - Kymco Yager 200i
Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 pm quote
Been there, done that. I know exactly what you mean about feeling stupid but stuff happens. The goal is to learn from our mistakes.
Rallies Europe 2016   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion 12Next
[ Time: 0.1137s ][ Queries: 24 (0.0479s) ][ Debug on ]