off road race vespa lx150
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
Author Message
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:47 pm quote
I am going to build a off road lx-150 with a lt150 motor (lower gearing) the frame is also a total loss according to ins. my plan is to keep the scoot stock but have it kick start only and only the things needed to run the scooter, such as frame, seat, motor, air box, and knoby tires. i am ordering a wiring harness from scooterwest to make it kickstart only.

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG
yesterday i banged out the dents in the front (it hit a trucks bumper real bad) and today i primed and painted the frame, i have to motor and parts to keep me going for a few more days but i am going to have to wait on a gasket to change out the gear box

Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 136
Location: Brisvegas, Australia
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:54 pm quote
You can make a wiring harness with what you already have.

Connect the CDI module from the flywheel - as per the usual plug. then tap into the green and black wire.

Green and black OPEN circuit = engine run.
Green and black CLOSED circuit = engine stop.

Don't let the AC wires from the flywheel go short circuit on anything~!~

I am not sure if this works for scooter systems with imobiliser CDI.
Molto Verboso
Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 1759
Location: Santa Margarita,Ca.
Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 pm quote
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank? Try to get ahold of a gt front shock for higher ground clearence. Maybe a rear one too. Should be available from someone whose upgraded to bitubo. Pull that centerstand off too before mounting the engine. And your going to want urethane mounts if not straight up solid ones. And knobbies. Show us the Knobbies!
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:14 pm quote
doniq wrote:
You can make a wiring harness with what you already have.

Connect the CDI module from the flywheel - as per the usual plug. then tap into the green and black wire.

Green and black OPEN circuit = engine run.
Green and black CLOSED circuit = engine stop.

Don't let the AC wires from the flywheel go short circuit on anything~!~

I am not sure if this works for scooter systems with imobiliser CDI.
this scoot came from a salvage where they kinda raped the frame. the is no ecu, immbolizer, spedo, or lights. it kinda was left for dead. but i am trying to figure out what another peice i got off a different total is. it is a black box a little bigger than a deck of cards, i am wondering if this is the ecu. not sure. thanks for the tips, i am now told that i will need a battery even a small one to fire up the scoot, so keeping the electric start would be a good thing.
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm quote
scootermarc69 wrote:
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank? Try to get ahold of a gt front shock for higher ground clearence. Maybe a rear one too. Should be available from someone whose upgraded to bitubo. Pull that centerstand off too before mounting the engine. And your going to want urethane mounts if not straight up solid ones. And knobbies. Show us the Knobbies!
the knobbies are not at the first stop on my list of dealers. i found them out of SIP performance but not over in the us yet. i am going to call up powersport places and try and find some.
i have heard of the urethane mounts before. is this the motor mount we are talking of. i work at a place with cutting lazers so i can fabricate alot of things myself. thanks for the thoughts.
Addicted
2008 Blue GT200 (Cringer)
Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 686
Location: Wilson NC
Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:33 pm quote
This is going to be an interesting thread
Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s
Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 14210
Location: The West Of Yorkshire ... Gods Country
Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:41 am quote
c o g
scootermarc69 wrote:
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank?
id pop a bike tank in there too itll keep the weight at the front
Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 136
Location: Brisvegas, Australia
Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:14 am quote
orange s150 wrote:
doniq wrote:
You can make a wiring harness with what you already have.

Connect the CDI module from the flywheel - as per the usual plug. then tap into the green and black wire.

Green and black OPEN circuit = engine run.
Green and black CLOSED circuit = engine stop.

Don't let the AC wires from the flywheel go short circuit on anything~!~

I am not sure if this works for scooter systems with imobiliser CDI.
this scoot came from a salvage where they kinda raped the frame. the is no ecu, immbolizer, spedo, or lights. it kinda was left for dead. but i am trying to figure out what another peice i got off a different total is. it is a black box a little bigger than a deck of cards, i am wondering if this is the ecu. not sure. thanks for the tips, i am now told that i will need a battery even a small one to fire up the scoot, so keeping the electric start would be a good thing.
The black box you describe could be the CDI module - if it has a 4 pin plug on the base. You may also require a HT coil too.. then provided you have a connection to the stator (on the fanwheel side) it's a simple case of 4 wires and the engine should have spark when you kick it. The CDI does not need a battery for the engine to run on the carby versions of Vespa engine.

Red / white = ignition charge coil
Black / green = pickup coil

I like your idea of an off road LX scoot with no electrics - keeps it simple and mud proof !
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:32 pm quote
i think that this is the ecu. or is this the immoblizer. thanks
once i find out what i am doing i would like to try to wire this myself. thanks for all the help!

*****it is the regulator, ok and the coil is the other pic i posted.
i guess i will need to buy a new ecu, the S should not have to be programed then? right?

vespa wtf 118.JPG

vespa wtf 119.JPG



Last edited by orange s150 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:51 pm quote
what is a HT coil. not fimilar with the wiring of a scooter or car for that matter. but i do have a spark plug wire thing. is it a ht coil?

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG
here are a few of my around town scoot. have not posted any pics in a while.

Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 136
Location: Brisvegas, Australia
Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:17 pm quote
In the photos it appears you have a voltage regulator and HT coil...

Looks like you need to track down a CDI module from somewhere - the 4 wire CDI does not have anti-theft, thats the one to get... you can buy aftermarket ignition modules from SIP etc... but my tip would be find a cheap secondhand one... depends on the engine you have

How much of the harness do you have ? you got the plug that goes into the stator ?

I recently finished a custom wire harness for an LX I am building - hence the details are still fresh in my mind. Vespa electrics are straight forward enough if you can use a multi meter. I can post the factory schematic if it helps.
Molto Verboso
S 190
Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 1141
Location: CT
Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:04 pm quote
yeah, i am going to try to track down a used one, as far as the wiring harness, it is complete, w/o the immoblizer and the ecu.
i called around and it seems the dealer can only order the ecu with the immoblizer. the ecu is like $150 and the immoblizer since i can't program it with out the keys, is another $80. so i am going to try to find something else. even the ecu for the S has an immoblizer in it for an aftermarket part, even though it is OEM.
i will try sip and see what they have
Hooked
Vespa
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 136
Location: Brisvegas, Australia
Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 pm quote
SIP have the part you need for $85 excluding delivery.. I guess you have a Piaggio 4T leader engine?
Rallies Europe 2015   vespa scooterwest scooter west Motorsport Scooters   Scooter Parts Company
Post Reply    Forum -> Project Reports
[ Time: 0.2022s ][ Queries: 35 (0.0923s) ][ Debug on ]