@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
I am going to build a off road lx-150 with a lt150 motor (lower gearing) the frame is also a total loss according to ins. my plan is to keep the scoot stock but have it kick start only and only the things needed to run the scooter, such as frame, seat, motor, air box, and knoby tires. i am ordering a wiring harness from scooterwest to make it kickstart only.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
yesterday i banged out the dents in the front (it hit a trucks bumper real bad) and today i primed and painted the frame, i have to motor and parts to keep me going for a few more days but i am going to have to wait on a gasket to change out the gear box
yesterday i banged out the dents in the front (it hit a trucks bumper real bad) and today i primed and painted the frame, i have to motor and parts to keep me going for a few more days but i am going to have to wait on a gasket to change out the gear box
@doniq avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@doniq avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
You can make a wiring harness with what you already have.

Connect the CDI module from the flywheel - as per the usual plug. then tap into the green and black wire.

Green and black OPEN circuit = engine run.
Green and black CLOSED circuit = engine stop.

Don't let the AC wires from the flywheel go short circuit on anything~!~

I am not sure if this works for scooter systems with imobiliser CDI.
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@scootermarc69 avatar
UTC quote
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank? Try to get ahold of a gt front shock for higher ground clearence. Maybe a rear one too. Should be available from someone whose upgraded to bitubo. Pull that centerstand off too before mounting the engine. And your going to want urethane mounts if not straight up solid ones. And knobbies. Show us the Knobbies!
OP
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
doniq wrote:

Connect the CDI module from the flywheel - as per the usual plug. then tap into the green and black wire.

this scoot came from a salvage where they kinda raped the frame. the is no ecu, immbolizer, spedo, or lights. it kinda was left for dead. but i am trying to figure out what another peice i got off a different total is. it is a black box a little bigger than a deck of cards, i am wondering if this is the ecu. not sure. thanks for the tips, i am now told that i will need a battery even a small one to fire up the scoot, so keeping the electric start would be a good thing.
OP
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
scootermarc69 wrote:
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank? Try to get ahold of a gt front shock for higher ground clearence. Maybe a rear one too. Should be available from someone whose upgraded to bitubo. Pull that centerstand off too before mounting the engine. And your going to want urethane mounts if not straight up solid ones. And knobbies. Show us the Knobbies!
the knobbies are not at the first stop on my list of dealers. i found them out of SIP performance but not over in the us yet. i am going to call up powersport places and try and find some.
i have heard of the urethane mounts before. is this the motor mount we are talking of. i work at a place with cutting lazers so i can fabricate alot of things myself. thanks for the thoughts.
@himfilth avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 Blue GT200 (Cringer)

Addicted
@himfilth avatar
2008 Blue GT200 (Cringer)
UTC quote
This is going to be an interesting thread
@t5bitza69 avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
T5s

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@t5bitza69 avatar
T5s
UTC quote
c o g
scootermarc69 wrote:
Not going to weld in a cross support for a center tank?
id pop a bike tank in there too itll keep the weight at the front
@doniq avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@doniq avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
orange s150 wrote:
doniq wrote:

this scoot came from a salvage where they kinda raped the frame. the is no ecu, immbolizer, spedo, or lights. it kinda was left for dead. but i am trying to figure out what another peice i got off a different total is. it is a black box a little bigger than a deck of cards, i am wondering if this is the ecu. not sure. thanks for the tips, i am now told that i will need a battery even a small one to fire up the scoot, so keeping the electric start would be a good thing.
The black box you describe could be the CDI module - if it has a 4 pin plug on the base. You may also require a HT coil too.. then provided you have a connection to the stator (on the fanwheel side) it's a simple case of 4 wires and the engine should have spark when you kick it. The CDI does not need a battery for the engine to run on the carby versions of Vespa engine.

Red / white = ignition charge coil
Black / green = pickup coil

I like your idea of an off road LX scoot with no electrics - keeps it simple and mud proof !
OP
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
i think that this is the ecu. or is this the immoblizer. thanks
once i find out what i am doing i would like to try to wire this myself. thanks for all the help!

*****it is the regulator, ok and the coil is the other pic i posted.
i guess i will need to buy a new ecu, the S should not have to be programed then? right?
⚠️ Last edited by orange s150 on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
what is a HT coil. not fimilar with the wiring of a scooter or car for that matter. but i do have a spark plug wire thing. is it a ht coil?
here are a few of my around town scoot. have not posted any pics in a while.
here are a few of my around town scoot. have not posted any pics in a while.
@doniq avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@doniq avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
In the photos it appears you have a voltage regulator and HT coil...

Looks like you need to track down a CDI module from somewhere - the 4 wire CDI does not have anti-theft, thats the one to get... you can buy aftermarket ignition modules from SIP etc... but my tip would be find a cheap secondhand one... depends on the engine you have

How much of the harness do you have ? you got the plug that goes into the stator ?

I recently finished a custom wire harness for an LX I am building - hence the details are still fresh in my mind. Vespa electrics are straight forward enough if you can use a multi meter. I can post the factory schematic if it helps.
OP
@orange_s150 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S 190. Custom VNB 150

Molto Verboso
@orange_s150 avatar
S 190. Custom VNB 150
UTC quote
yeah, i am going to try to track down a used one, as far as the wiring harness, it is complete, w/o the immoblizer and the ecu.
i called around and it seems the dealer can only order the ecu with the immoblizer. the ecu is like $150 and the immoblizer since i can't program it with out the keys, is another $80. so i am going to try to find something else. even the ecu for the S has an immoblizer in it for an aftermarket part, even though it is OEM.
i will try sip and see what they have
@doniq avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa

Hooked
@doniq avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
SIP have the part you need for $85 excluding delivery.. I guess you have a Piaggio 4T leader engine?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0380s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0113s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]