Just bought a 2016 MP3 500 Sport
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
Lurker
2016 Piaggio MP3 500
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:48 am quote
Hello, new MP3 owner here, from Saint Simons Island, Georgia. This bike seems to be in great shape, with only 2,100 miles on the odometer. I have been riding motorcycles for over 50 years, this may be the most unique bike I have ever purchased. Looking forward to riding it (and getting used to it's quirks and features). Also looking forward to tips and advice from this forum. I will be looking for a taller touring style windshield....any tips or suggestions?
Thanks in advance...
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:35 am quote
Welcome to the unicorn that is the Piaggio MP3.

Before racking up the miles/kms, make sure the bike got the 1K km/600mi service performed including retorqueing and greasing of the head bearings.

The head bearings are the Achilles heel of the MP3, and the 1K service is the most important one the bike will ever get. The head bearings require re lube every 10k km or 6K mi max along with the drivebelt replacement.
MP3
Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:08 pm quote
Also check level in the hydraulic roller tilt front lock mechanism, as once you get air in there itís a nightmare and cause so many buzzer , horns etc to let you know. Itís so important and complicated to check. Plus the fluid disappears for no reason ( no leaks )
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:02 am quote
You will enjoy these unique machines, now much copied. Reference to the head bearings may be misleading. This does not refer to the (relatively unimportant on the Mp3) bearings in the headstock but rather the bearings in the suspension uprights on each side. More often these are called swivel pins or kingpins in UK garage parlance.
As an experienced rider you will probably have already noticed that the usual cornering behaviour is not quite what you get with the MP3. When you approach the apex of a corner and start to open the throttle you would normally expect a tightening of the line but the MP3 will understeer and until you get used to it you will probably miss a few apexes.
I know from painful experience that it is difficult but not impossible to come unstuck on slippery surfaces. I was once caught out by some black ice, luckily at low speed! On snow the available traction from the rear wheel is a limiting factor so hill climbing can become extremely difficult.
Braking performance is better than any two wheeler and did once save me from slamming into the side of a blind motorist.
As with most Italian machinery the electrics can be a weakness, especially in damp climates. It helps to prevent corrosion of connectors and terminals by applying some dielectric grease or Vaseline ( petroleum jelly).

Good luck with your new ride.
Lurker
2016 Piaggio MP3 500
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:17 am quote
Thanks for the suggestions and advice! Can you tell me where to look for the hydraulic fluid in the tilt lock mechanism? And what type of fluid goes in there?
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:04 am quote
Tilt lock fluid reservoir sits behind the headlights.

Relatively accessible by removing the windscreen and the Y shaped tupperware plastic piece.

Uses regular DOT4 brake fluid. Good idea to suction out and replace with fresh juice at least every couple of years.

top tip: Do not use the tilt for extended periods, as it will cause excessive wear and tear on the master cylinder and other components. In other words, when parking the bike always use the center stand and unlock the tilt.
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:12 am quote
sbaert wrote:
Tilt lock fluid reservoir sits behind the headlights.

top tip: Do not use the tilt for extended periods, as it will cause excessive wear and tear on the master cylinder and other components. In other words, when parking the bike always use the center stand and unlock the tilt.
That isn't something I can agree with. I removed the centre stand on both my MP3s and used the tilt lock for the entire time when not actually riding. I never had any problem and only had to top up the hydraulic reservoir a couple of times in six years of ownership. Never found any wear and tear whatsoever from daily commuting. I didn't use the tilt lock when stopping on the road as some do, always put my feet down in the normal way. Maybe this is what causes stress on components.
MP3
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:20 am quote
Any idea where the fluid leaks out to. Seems hard to see any leaks [/quote]
Molto Verboso
Kymco AK550
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:42 am quote
CaptainStarwars wrote:
Any idea where the fluid leaks out to. Seems hard to see any leaks
Its much the same as a braking system. There is a master cylinder which is electrically actuated and two slave cylinders. One of my MP3s showed slight signs of dampness on the blind end of a slave cylinder from new, but I sprayed in and around the rubber boot with wd40 with the idea of preventing any corrosion and it dried up. Brake systems very seldom lose fluid except when flexible hoses fail so I wouldn't expect any problems.
Hooked
2015 MP3 500 ie Business
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:29 am quote
Another place where leaks can occur is the pressure switch.

It is not a good idea to keep a hydraulic system (such as the tilt and braking systems) under full pressure for extended periods such as when parked.

If it was, car manufacturers would have figured out a way to do so a loooong time ago.
Lurker
201 MP3 500 Business
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:51 pm quote
Iím buys bought a 2016 MP3 500 Business... 233 miles! Live in Texas!
Lurker
201 MP3 500 Business
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm quote
RevElvis wrote:
Iím I just l bought a 2016 MP3 500 Business... 233 miles! Live in Texas!
  DoubleGood Vespa T-Shirts  
Post Reply    Forum -> MP3 Discussion
[ Time: 0.2328s ][ Queries: 36 (0.0669s) ][ Debug on ]