Folding Lock
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
Molto Verboso
Primavera ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300
Sun May 15, 2011 11:51 am quote
My Vespa parks in the street, so I like to secure the back wheel with a lock. I used to have a U-shaped lock, but that took up lots of space in the pet carrier.

When I changed from the small HiPer engine to a Leader, there was only ever one angle where I could push the lock through the wheel and then it would either touch the exhaust or rest on the dipstick. I thought about using a chain, but found something better.

This is the Abus Bordo. Almost every bicycle in Berlin has one, it seems.

Folded up, it doesn't take much space.

It's a perfect fit for the LX's glove box.

If you hold it right, you can spear it through the wheel without getting near the exhaust.

It neither rests on the dipstick...

... nor does it touch the hot exhaust. However, it does sit on the ground, so a thief could use maximum force on his bolt cutters. It will probably need an angle grinder, though, to cut through this lock.

Addicted
GTS 300 Super
Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 pm quote
I just use a small regular lock that goes through one of small holes on the brake disk rotor.
Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug), 'Olive' (GT200) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Sun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm quote
I like that folding lock - good tip, thanks.
Ossessionato
2010 Orange S150
Sun May 15, 2011 2:24 pm quote
I was wondering about the possibility of popping those rivets easily. I then found this in an online review:

"The Abus Bordoís parallelogram setup is a neat, compact folding design which puts convenience above all-out security. For a quick stop where your bikeís in sight itís fine Ė better in fact than most aimed at this purpose.

As a main source of security though, itís not quite so good. We were able to pop one of the rivets out of the Bordo in just over 46 seconds."
Molto Verboso
Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am quote
I was wary of the rivets when these locks first appeared a few years ago. I never bothered looking up any review of them, but as I said, they can been seen on many bicycles, usually the more expensive kind.

Does it say how exactly they broke the rivet? There are several levels of security available and mine's the maximum level with the highest weight and shortest berth.
World Traveler
2007 LX150 Daring Plum Leonardo Da Vespa

Mon May 16, 2011 10:06 am quote
I wouldn't worry about it because people can get thru pretty much everything if they want the scooter bad enough. Just use what your comfortable with and keep the scooter insight and that's all you can do, other than have good insurance, sadly.
Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)
Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 am quote
These are rated between 7 and 9 on the "security" score. Very medium security - I have considered them for my cycle but not sure they are secure enough.

There is a new one called the Bordo Granit X-Plus which is rated 15 which is pretty high - they sell for between £75 and £99 in the UK.

I guess they can still be broken into in less than 2 minutes though but apparently needs some equipment to do this.

Read the review here...

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-accessories/abus-bordo-granit-xplus-lock/

Charles.
Molto Verboso
Mon May 16, 2011 10:54 am quote
This is the Granit X-Plus.
Your Rally Here   Vespa Wasp Neck Scarves   Cool Ass scooter seat cover
Post Reply    Forum -> General Discussion
[ Time: 0.0997s ][ Queries: 23 (0.0439s) ][ Debug on ]